PDA

View Full Version : Rage, Magic, and Psionics [PEACH]

Lord Iames Osari
2006-07-31, 03:06 PM
Edit for clarity - This is a rule I'm thinking about for my homebrew.

Rage and similar abilities disrupt spellcasting because they are associated with levels of emotion so overpowering that to concentrate on the ritual of casting a spell would be impossible. However, because psionics are manifested not through ritual but through simple will, rage and similar abilities do not interfere with manifesting as it does spellcasting. However, only powers that a) damage one’s foes or b) increase one’s own ability to damage one’s foes, may be manifested. This includes healing and defensive powers, since one cannot kill one’s enemy if one is dead.

All powers manifested by a raging character must be augmented to the fullest extent. If a manifesting character possesses an ability like the wilder’s wild surge, that ability automatically applies to all powers manifested while raging.

endoperez
2006-07-31, 03:19 PM
As a feat, it'd probably be fine even with less restrictions on what powers can be manifested. An interesting idea. I'm open for all feats that allow for more kinds of actions while raging.

ghost_warlock
2006-07-31, 03:58 PM
I'm planning on making a psionic PrC dealing with this very issue, focusing on the use of Autohypnosis to enter a trance through which the character gets in touch with the "true source of rage." I'm not making much progress, though, due to being distracted by worgs.

Obviously, the idea is to speed up the acquisition of greater and mighty rage at the expense of crap sense (er, I mean, trap sense), DR, & nature-oriented skills. Toss in a couple manifester levels and a kind of Raging Overchannel effect - you can manifest psychometabolism & psychokinesis powers while raging but you not only have to manifest them to your full manifester level, but you have to overchannel them fully, too. Eh, just an idea.

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-07-31, 04:03 PM
Well, there are a couple psionic PrC's for ragers.

The best one is the Cerebral Rager from Hyperconscious.

Then there is also the Anarchic Initiate from Complete Psionic.