PDA

View Full Version : Not needing to breathe item?

Zergrusheddie
2009-05-25, 04:41 PM
Within the SRD, PH2, and Complete Arcane does anyone know of an item that makes it unnecessary to breathe?

Best of luck
-Eddie

RTGoodman
2009-05-25, 04:44 PM
The necklace of adaptation (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/WondrousItems.htm#necklaceofAdaptation) and bottle of air (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/WondrousItems.htm#bottleofAir) help you breathe where you normally couldn't, but they don't completely negate the need to breathe. I could have sworn I've seen something somewhere that did, though.

Zergrusheddie
2009-05-25, 04:47 PM
The necklace of adaptation (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/WondrousItems.htm#necklaceofAdaptation) and bottle of air (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/WondrousItems.htm#bottleofAir) help you breathe where you normally couldn't, but they don't completely negate the need to breathe. I could have sworn I've seen something somewhere that did, though.

Yeah, me too. It's been bugging me for a while and I just can not remember what it was. Thanks for the links though.

Best of luck
-Eddie

Olo Demonsbane
2009-05-25, 04:48 PM
I think it is one of the ioun stones.

RTGoodman
2009-05-25, 04:50 PM
I think it is one of the ioun stones.

Aha, it is indeed - I just found it right before I saw your post. The iridescent prism ioun stone (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/WondrousItems.htm#iounStones) "sustains a creature without air" for only 18,000gp.

Zergrusheddie
2009-05-25, 04:53 PM
Bingo. I knew I saw it somewhere. Awesome, thank you both.
Not wanting to make a new thread, where are the rules for determining the cost of an item that adds competence bonuses to skills like search?

Y'all are awesome.
-Eddie

monty
2009-05-25, 04:56 PM
Bonus^2 x 100 gp, maximum 30 before you get into epic pricing.

RTGoodman
2009-05-25, 04:57 PM
You can find them in the Creating Magic Items (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/creatingMagicItems.htm) part of the SRD.

Lycanthromancer
2009-05-25, 05:01 PM
A psychoactive skin of proteus, or another item that allows shapeshifting, can turn you into an object, or a construct, elemental, or undead, or into another shape that explicitly doesn't need to breathe.

Zergrusheddie
2009-05-25, 05:05 PM
This Forum's 'Community' (corny, but can't think of a better term) is unbelievable. Most other forum I've been to would be insulting me for being a n00b/nub and than stating they could kill me with their 'rouges'...

I wish everyone well.
-Eddie

olentu
2009-05-25, 05:10 PM
A psychoactive skin of proteus, or another item that allows shapeshifting, can turn you into an object, or a construct, elemental, or undead, or into another shape that explicitly doesn't need to breathe.

If I am remembering correctly the metamorphosis power and by extension the psychoactive skin of proteus excludes construct, elemental, and undead forms unless that is the type of your normal form.

Lycanthromancer
2009-05-25, 05:11 PM
This Forum's 'Community' (corny, but can't think of a better term) is unbelievable. Most other forum I've been to would be insulting me for being a n00b/nub and than stating they could kill me with their 'rouges'...

I wish everyone well.
-Eddie

We've all been pulled together by the awesomeness of OotS, and the pricks are thrown out by the ever-vigilant mods.

[edit]:

If I am remembering correctly the metamorphosis power and by extension the psychoactive skin of proteus excludes construct, elemental, and undead forms unless that is your normal form.

Ah, but it does allow for objects, which have no need to breathe. Also, characters such as warforged, racial variants (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/races/elementalRacialVariants.htm), and necropolitans, can turn into those others fairly easily... ^_^

Zergrusheddie
2009-05-25, 05:13 PM
We've all been pulled together by the awesomeness of OotS, and the pricks are thrown out by the ever-vigilant mods.

Aye, toast to the Stick and the Mods!

Flickerdart
2009-05-25, 05:15 PM
If I am remembering correctly the metamorphosis power and by extension the psychoactive skin of proteus excludes construct, elemental, and undead forms unless that is the type of your normal form.
Yeah, but you may become Aberrations (some of which should have no need for breathing), Animals (fish!), Magical Beasts or objects.

Lycanthromancer
2009-05-25, 05:16 PM
Yeah, but you may become Aberrations (some of which should have no need for breathing), Animals (fish!), Magical Beasts or objects.

Yup. It really depends on WHY you don't need to breathe. That, and some critters can breathe odd things, such as acid, stone, and peanut brittle.

...Okay, maybe not that last one. But still.

olentu
2009-05-25, 05:23 PM
Well it depends on the specifics of the character, and as near as I can see the power is silent on the subject of if changing into an object removes the need to breathe. I would probably find it reasonable that the need is removed but some might not.

Keld Denar
2009-05-25, 05:28 PM

I wish everyone well.
-Eddie

NOOB!!! MY ROUGE CAN TOTALLY PWN YOU AND YOUR FAMILY!

Sorry....it was begging to be said.

<3

Lycanthromancer
2009-05-25, 05:30 PM
Well it depends on the specifics of the character, and as near as I can see the power is silent on the subject of if changing into an object removes the need to breathe. I would probably find it reasonable that the need is removed but some might not.

Well, metamorphosis does change your type (and subtypes, if applicable), which means you gain all of the standard traits of objects, except as noted in the power description...

olentu
2009-05-25, 05:34 PM
Well, metamorphosis does change your type (and subtypes, if applicable), which means you gain all of the standard traits of objects, except as noted in the power description...

I do not remember the list of types and subtypes but is inanimate object actually a type or subtype.

EarFall
2009-05-25, 05:35 PM
Ahem!

Peanut Brittle Breathing Thing
CN Medium magical beast
HD: 1d10 + 2 (7 HP)
AC: 15 (+2 dex, +3 natural)
Attack: Bite +5
Damage : 1d8+3
Skills: Listen +6 Spot +6
Feats: Alertness (B), Weapon focus (bite)
Saves: Fort + 4 Ref +2 Will + 2
Abilties: Str 16 Dex 14 Con 14 Int 6 Wis 10 Cha 8
CR 1/2.

Special Qualities: Peanut Brittle Breathing (Ex) The peanut Brittle Breathing Thing can breathe peanut brittle as though it were air - it does not lose the ability to consume peanut brittle, or breathe air as normal.

You were saying?

Berserk Monk
2009-05-25, 05:44 PM
The only thing I can think of is vow of poverty (book of exalted deeds) eventually grants you that, but you basically can't carry anything worth the slightest bit of gp. Sorry I can't be of more help.

Colmarr
2009-05-26, 12:26 AM
Within the SRD, PH2, and Complete Arcane does anyone know of an item that makes it unnecessary to breathe? -Eddie

Not wanting to make a new thread, where are the rules for determining the cost of an item that adds competence bonuses to skills like search?

Didn't I see you in the Tomb of Horrors thread? :smallwink:

Kosjsjach
2009-05-26, 12:53 AM
In response to your original query, there's a armor enhancement in Stormwrack called Gilled that lets you breathe in water for an additional 7'500gp. I know it doesn't meet your requirement of being from the SRD, PH2 or CArc, but I wanted to contribute.

This Forum's 'Community' (corny, but can't think of a better term) is unbelievable.
I know, eh? :smalltongue: People here are (generally) helpful, courteous... it's so different from so many other forums.

Lycanthromancer
2009-05-26, 01:01 AM
Items that grant competence bonuses to skills like Search. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/items/universalItems.htm#crystalMasks) Don't forget Aid Another (especially useful with, say, psicrystals), and masterwork tools that grant bonuses.

Also, remember that you can take 10.

[edit] And don't forget the Item Familiar feat. Put lots and lots of skill points into it.