PDA

View Full Version : Action D20, Samurai Class (Advice Needed)

Nero24200
2009-05-26, 07:13 AM
Hello all

I'm looking for a little advice needed for an homebrew system. The idea behind this system is over-the-top action classes, using action movies and "out there" fantasies as the base.

The first idea I had was a samurai class based on the "fantasy" idea of a samurai (i.e, being able to cut through buildings with katanas. jump great distances etc).

Before showing the class there are a few things to note:
1: Since I've seen few action movies in which the heroes rely heavily on armour, it's been removed (armour will most likely just be something aestetic). I'm instead using the "defense" system shown in Iron Heroes. This is marked by BDB (Base Defense Bonus) below.
2: Theres a degree of skill consolidation used with this class. This isn't really anything to do with the System itself, usally any homebrew of mine feature's some skill shifting.
3: In terms of power and usefulness I'm aimming for this to be on the same level as TOB classes.
4: Similer to Iron heroes again, this class is made under the assumption that magic items will be rare (since again, in most over-the-top-action movies the character's seem to rely less on special items, but more on just any item which hurts alot). So things like saving throws will be different.

And so, heres the class, PEACH

{table]Level|BAB|BDB|Fortitude|Reflex|Will|Special
1|+1|+1|+1|+0|+0|Bushido Strike (+1D6, +1 Defense)
2|+2|+2|+2|+1|+1|Fast Draw
3|+3|+3|+3|+1|+1|Bushido Shield (10%)
4|+4|+4|+4|+2|+2|Finishing Touch (1 Point)
5|+5|+5|+5|+2|+2|Bushido Strike (+2D6, +2 Defense)
6|+6|+6|+6|+3|+3|Bushido Leap (+4)
7|+7|+7|+7|+3|+3|Deadly Draw (-2)
8|+8|+8|+8|+4|+4|Bushido Shield (20%)
9|+9|+9|+9|+4|+4|Finishing Touch (2 Points)
10|+10|+10|+10|+5|+5|Bushido Strike (+3D6, +3 Defense)
11|+11|+11|+11|+5|+5|Bushido Leap (+8)
12|+12|+12|+12|+6|+6|Deadly Draw (-4)
13|+13|+13|+13|+6|+6|Bushido Shield (30%)
14|+14|+14|+14|+7|+7|Finishing Touch (3 Points)
15|+15|+15|+15|+7|+7|Bushido Strike (+4D6, +4 Defense)
16|+16|+16|+16|+8|+8|Bushido Leap (+12)
17|+17|+17|+17|+8|+8|Deadly Draw (-6)
18|+18|+18|+18|+9|+9|Bushido Shield (40%)
19|+19|+19|+19|+9|+9|Finishing Touch (4 Points)
20|+20|+20|+20|+10|+10|Bushido Strike (+5D6, +5 Defense)[/table]

CLASS FEATURES

Bushido Strike (Ex)
It is said that the sword of a true samurai is sharper than anything else in the world. The samurai gains the benefits of this ability for 1 round after expending his or her martial focus. The samurai’s attacks deal +1D6 points of weapon damage and any attacks made by the samurai ignore hardness. In addition, whilst gaining the benefits of this ability the samurai gains a +1 dodge bonus to defense. At 5th level, and every 5 levels thereafter, the samurai gains an additional +1D6 bonus to damage and an additional +1 dodge bonus to defense, for a maximum of +5D6 damage and a +5 dodge bonus to defense at 20th level.

Fast Draw (Ex)
The samurai is trained to draw and strike with a single, swift move. At 2nd level the samurai may draw weapons as a free action, rather than a move action. If the samurai already gains this ability from another source (such as the quick draw feat), then he or she gains a +4 bonus to confirm any threats made during the round in which he or she draws a weapon.

Bushido Shield (Ex)
Whilst bows, crossbows, and other ranged weapons act as the bane of most samurai, those with experience are able to account for such primitive fighting styles. At 3rd level the samurai counts as having a 10% miss-chance against ranged attacks. This increases to 20% at 8th level, to 30% at 13th level, and to 40% at 18th level. The samurai only gains this benefit as long as he or she is not flat-footed or otherwise denied his or her dexterity bonus to defense.

Finishing Touch (Ex)
More experienced samurai have a greater understanding of physical body’s can take, and what they can’t. At 4th level, whenever the samurai gains the benefits of his or her Bushido Strike, the first successful attack made in that round deals 1 point of strength damage to the target. If the samurai does not land a successful strike in that round, then the ability is wasted and requires the samurai to use Bushido strike again to active. With every 5 additional samurai levels this ability deals 1 additional point of strength damage, to a maximum of 4 points at 19th level.

Bushido Leap (Ex)
A samurai can jump great distances, using bushido to gain leverage. At 6th level the samurai gains a +4 unnamed bonus to acrobatics’ checks to jump for 1 round whenever he or she expends his or her marital focus. This bonus increases to +8 at 11th level and to +12 at 16th level.

Deadly Draw (Ex)
Once a samurai has enough renown, he or she can inspire great amounts of fear simply by drawing their blade. At 7th level, in any round in which the samurai draws his or her weapon, foes within 30ft who can hear and see the samurai must pass a will save (DC 10 + samurai’s level + samurai’s charisma modifier) or take a -2 penalty to attack rolls for 1 minute. This is a fear effect, and foes which pass the save are immune to that particular samurai’s Deadly Draw ability for 24 hours. At 12th level foes affected by this ability suffer a -4 penalty instead of -2. At 17th level foes affected by this ability suffer a -6 penalty instead of -4.