PDA

View Full Version : Build a Campaign [PEACH]

Aergoth
2009-05-26, 08:26 AM
The idea dawned on me while re-reading a few sourcebooks and similar that adventurers have to do a lot of running around in order to gain levels. You could start in a dungeon in one place and cross the country a dozen times before you hit 10. So I had an Idea(TM)

The Idea:
Build a dungeon/campaign location that will allow players to go from level 1 to level 20 without running around.

The Setting:
Blacksky Keep. The Keep itself exists on the material plane and serves to cover an entrance to a dungeon. This dungeon is sort of a planar mish-mash. The first dozen "floors" are all bits and pieces of the material plane, parts of the underdark and similar. And then it gets weird. The dungeon is a planar scrapbook. It will occasionally (once in a blue moon) open up a portal on to another plane. Or more accurately, around a section of another plane. It "eats" that section and adds it to itself, trapping any native life there.

The Plan: Blacksky Keep is the main setting for the campaign. The nature of the dungeon allows it to be essentially infinite, and house a mess of monsters. DMs can add, remove and replace floors as they will, sub monsters in and out of levels, or modify them as they will. Traps and strangeness work fine in Blacksky, and there is plenty of opportunity to adjust the dungeon as they will. The only things that need to remain unchanged are the anchor points (explained below) and the existence of the Keep.

Details
Blacksky was built as part of two anchor points, one on the material plane at the entrance to the keep, which forces it's mouth open, and another at the bottom of the dungeon, which prevents it from moving. The anchor point in the bottom of the dungeon has become loose, which means that bits of the dungeon can shift, where they were once static.

The Keep, and attached "dungeon" comprise 46 levels. The keep consists of the outer keep, four towers and the inner keep (where the anchor point is located). The outer keep has been sacked a few dozen times over the ages, and is now inhabited by goblinoids. The inner keep is still largely intact, and the goblins have sealed it against things escaping. The towers (which stand at the cardinal points) are equally infested. The northern tower has a gargoyle dwelling at the top, while the southern tower has been taken over as some sort of hive structure. A tribe of bugbears inhabits the western tower, and a few undead defenders linger in the eastern tower.

The next level is a section of caverns which are now home to various denizens that have escaped the lower levels of the dungeon, mostly weaker creatures such as kobolds and assorted vermin. Below these, the “dungeon” has apparently eaten a section of the underdark, and feral drow now roam the remaining halls.

The Keep was built to keep the “dungeon” in place, and the Keep was staffed by a group of defenders. These defenders would maintain the anchor points, which would lead to a sort of culling of the dungeon, leaving only the stronger varieties of monster as one went deeper. Eventually, the Keep came under siege by those who wanted to control it. Though the defenders managed to fight off the invasion, the anchor point was damaged and many of the stronger defenders were lost. Those remaining attempted to descend to repair the anchor point, but did not return. The Keep was abandoned, and the remaining defenders went on their ways. The idea to convey this was to have bodies of former defenders (or their equipment, either alone or used by a monster) as they went down.

The Blacksky dungeon is warded against intrusion. Attempts to teleport into the dungeon do not work, and nothing short of a gate, or a plane shift will allow characters to enter the dungeon, since it is effectively another plane. Magic has leaked around in some levels of the dungeon, resulting in areas where magic does not work, or works strangely. (Anti-magic fields, anti-psionic fields and areas of wild magic are common occurrences as one descends into the dungeon. Parts of the dungeon were added by the Blacksky Defenders, and act as “safe” rooms. Over the years, some of these have been breached and are no the lairs of dungeon creatures, and others have been hidden or blocked off.

Detect magic registers an overwhelming resonance from the anchor points of the dungeon, and causes the caster to make a dc 30 will save or be dazed for 6 rounds. A critical failure of the check results in the character being stunned for 6 rounds and forgetting their spells.

Bulwer
2009-05-26, 08:29 AM
Sounds like Diablo. Or, actually, like the World's Largest Dungeon setting.

Lord Sidereal
2009-05-26, 08:35 AM
World's Largest Dungeon is essentially a vast undregrounf city/dungeon designed to get players from 1 - 20. Its very good, if a little bit dense, and works well because its not just hacknslash all the way through, because there's plenty of other flavours of adventure. It looks as if it took an age to complete though, and is meticulously planned. Starting from scratch, you'd have to make sure you kept the intrigue up, otherwise players would quickly get bored and want to leave the dungeon.

Aergoth
2009-05-26, 11:45 AM
I was interrupted while posting, so I've added some more to the OP.
I was actually hoping people might suggest things to add to the dungeon.

BooNL
2009-05-27, 04:46 AM
As I mentioned in your recruitment thread, cool idea!

How are you handling the 46 levels of dungeon? Do you map each one out, select one at random or pick one depending on your mood?
I've played a lot of Warhammer Quest in my time (basically the world's largest dungeon in Warhammer format) and one of the best games were when I had random tables for monsters, items and even rooms. This kept the game fresh even for me as GM and cut down a bit on the preperation time.

So, one idea is to draw up a table containing several themes or locations. After that you can balance the location to the current level of the party. Some other ideas:
Including "town" levels. Maybe an society stuck in the dungeon, where players are offered a moment of rest and are able to unload some gear. This also gives you some RP opportunities, the players could hear rumours about lower levels, figure out some backstory about the dungeon and are able to pick up a few quests (save my daughter from the terrible monster on the ice plane!)
Include "out door" levels. You already mentioned including sections of the underdark and shifting through planes. It'd be cool if your players would suddenly find themself in a dark forest, or on a moonlike planet. This would give druids and rangers some opportunities to use their class skills and also shake up the game a bit.
Suddenly your players are faced with weather conditions and survival in harsh climates. I noticed you have access to Sandstorm and Frostburn, you could send your players to a desert clime, surviving the blazing heat by discarding excess gear and traveling as light as possible before sending them to an artic clime. Where they arrive almost without protection from the extreme cold, so they have to scrape together protection from the blizzards and whatnots.

Just some thoughts :smallsmile:

Aergoth
2009-05-27, 06:27 AM
Well, at this point, I'm mapping them out floor by floor, using photoshop.
I decide on the terrain and then let it run from there. It makes it easier to choose monsters, for instance, if I grab a section of a volcanic place, I'll probably have the players fighting a few monsters with the fire subtype. But yeah. A DM could sub and swap entire levels of the dungeon if they can get the CR right.

But Not Tonight
2009-05-27, 06:40 AM
As I mentioned in your recruitment thread, cool idea!

How are you handling the 46 levels of dungeon? Do you map each one out, select one at random or pick one depending on your mood?
I've played a lot of Warhammer Quest in my time (basically the world's largest dungeon in Warhammer format) and one of the best games were when I had random tables for monsters, items and even rooms. This kept the game fresh even for me as GM and cut down a bit on the preperation time.

So, one idea is to draw up a table containing several themes or locations. After that you can balance the location to the current level of the party. Some other ideas:
Including "town" levels. Maybe an society stuck in the dungeon, where players are offered a moment of rest and are able to unload some gear. This also gives you some RP opportunities, the players could hear rumours about lower levels, figure out some backstory about the dungeon and are able to pick up a few quests (save my daughter from the terrible monster on the ice plane!)
Include "out door" levels. You already mentioned including sections of the underdark and shifting through planes. It'd be cool if your players would suddenly find themself in a dark forest, or on a moonlike planet. This would give druids and rangers some opportunities to use their class skills and also shake up the game a bit.
Suddenly your players are faced with weather conditions and survival in harsh climates. I noticed you have access to Sandstorm and Frostburn, you could send your players to a desert clime, surviving the blazing heat by discarding excess gear and traveling as light as possible before sending them to an artic clime. Where they arrive almost without protection from the extreme cold, so they have to scrape together protection from the blizzards and whatnots.

Just some thoughts :smallsmile:

Awesome post