PDA

View Full Version : Ye ol' item shoppe

TheThan
2006-05-17, 03:24 PM
Ok instead of making a new thread for each new gizmo and contraption I come up with, I'm just going to post them all here. I'm sure the moderators would appreciate it if I didn’t clutter up their boards with a bunch of unneeded topics. Oh feel free to post anything you make here too.

Compass
This item consists of a magnetized metallic pin floating in water. The magnet always points north.
Cost 10 gold
This item grants a +2 equipment bonus to survival skills made to keep from becoming lost.

Mariners kit(s)
http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=gaming;action=display;num=1147831722

travelers kit(s)

http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=gaming;action=display;num=1147806311

RoboticSheeple
2006-05-17, 03:53 PM
Problem is if the pin gets shaken at all then it will sink, and there for be unable to function properly...a more practial compass would have a pin suspended by other means. Otherwise, for an item that helps acchive the same affects as a 0 lvl spell... Well I wouldn't buy it but it makes sense that NPCs might.

TheThan
2006-05-17, 03:54 PM
Fishing pole (standard)
cost: 3 copper
weight: 0.5 lbs
This is a small sapling that has been trimmed and tapered. On the small end there is a string attached to it. On the other end there is a knot where you can tie a hook and bait to.

This item grants the user a +2 equipment to survival skills made to find food in the wild (assuming there is an appropriate sized body of water near by). It also provides a +2 equipment bonus to the profession (fisherman) skill. The fishing pole can hold up to 15 pounds of weight on the line.

Fishing pole (Deluxe)
cost 1 silver
weight 1.5 pounds
The deluxe fishing pole is exactly like the standard fishing pole except that it is larger and can hold up to 30 pounds of weight on the end.

Fishing pole (super Deluxe)
cost: 5 silver
weight: 2 lbs
The Super Deluxe fishing pole is exactly like the standard and deluxe fishing poles expect that it is even larger and can support up to 60 pounds of weight on the line.

Fishing pole (ultra super deluxe)
cost 1gold
weight: 3lbs
The ultra super deluxe fishing pole is exactly like the standard, deluxe fishing and super deluxe poles expect that it is even larger and can support up to 120 pounds of weight on the line. Most people who use the super deluxe fishing poles fish out in oceans where there are large and heavy fish to catch.

RoboticSheeple
2006-05-17, 03:58 PM
You might want to make a heavier fishing pole. Tuna and Shark for example can easily weigh over the weight limit of 120 lbs. Both those would be important to Fishermen in an oriental setting (sushi!).

Athough I suppose a net would be more approperate for large fish anyway.

I really do like your ideas, I'm just trying to provide effective feedback also. ;D

skreweded
2006-05-17, 05:08 PM
I don't know, being new and all, but these seem pretty balanced! +2 to survival skills, and an ability to hold more weight on the pole, just adds realism!

TheThan
2006-05-17, 06:05 PM
Chain mail bikini
Cost: 400*
Armor type: light
AC: +2
Max dex: +6
ASF: 10%
ACP: 0
Speed: 30 medium, 20 small
Weight: 5 lbs.
Special: This armor imparts a +2 equipment bonus to diplomacy, gather information and charisma checks. It also imparts a –2 penalty to any slight of hand checks made to hide items on the wearer’s body as well as a –2 penalty to con saves made to resist cold.

* This armor is always masterwork quality.

Usually worn by female human and elf warriors (as in fighters and barbarians) who want light, functional and very flattering armor. The armor itself consists of a chain mail bikini top (they come in a variety of styles, and have adjustable straps), a chain mail G-string and a Tiara. The armor also comes with a leather top and G-string that is worn under the armor for comfort and to prevent chaffing. The armor can also be found made out of elven chain, Adamantine and Mithral (adjust price accordingly). The armor can also be found for men (favored by barbarians), which consists of a G-string bottom. The chain mail bikini does not includes paldrons, grieves, bracers or gauntlets.

Ok I’m probably going to get flamed for this armor, but it was fun to make. Besides is sort of a cliché anyway so I thought “why the heck not?”. Personally i think is a little silly.

Gdrad
2006-05-17, 07:48 PM
Problem is if the pin gets shaken at all then it will sink, and there for be unable to function properly...a more practial compass would have a pin suspended by other means. Otherwise, for an item that helps acchive the same affects as a 0 lvl spell... Well I wouldn't buy it but it makes sense that NPCs might.

Low magic campaigns. "Magic reveals you" campaigns *You say that divination works by following magic signals. Thus nonspellcasters can actually move around without being spotted usually*. To prevent detect magic from spotting you. Or your not a spellcaster class.

Id buff the bonus of a good compass. Maybe have a masterwork one or some such.

TheThan
2006-05-17, 09:11 PM
yeah, not everyone travels with a spellcaster.

Magnus_Samma
2006-05-17, 09:19 PM
Chain mail bikini
Cost: 400*
Weight: 5 lbs.
Special: This armor imparts a +2 equipment bonus to diplomacy, gather information and charisma checks. It also imparts a –2 penalty to any slight of hand checks made to hide items on the wearer’s body as well as a –2 penalty to con saves made to resist cold.

* This armor is always masterwork quality.

Usually worn by female human and elf warriors (as in fighters and barbarians) who want light, functional and very flattering armor. The armor itself consists of a chain mail bikini top (they come in a variety of styles, and have adjustable straps), a chain mail G-string and a Tiara. The armor also comes with a leather top and G-string that is worn under the armor for comfort and to prevent chaffing. The armor can also be found made out of elven chain, Adamantine and Mithral (adjust price accordingly). The armor can also be found for men (favored by barbarians), which consists of a G-string bottom. The chain mail bikini does not includes paldrons, grieves, bracers or gauntlets.

Ok I’m probably going to get flamed for this armor, but it was fun to make. Besides is sort of a cliché anyway so I thought “why the heck not?”. Personally i think is a little silly.

Oh, my players are gonna get a kick out of that...

RoboticSheeple
2006-05-17, 09:43 PM
yeah, not everyone travels with a spellcaster.

but the PCs in a typical campaign do, and that's what I was saying wasn't it? :P

but as someone pointed out a low magic campaign it would be a lot more useful for PCs. The only problem I have with it is that I doesn't work:
The needle/pin would be shaken enough that the water would lose it's surface tension for the pin, the pin would sink and because it is no longer suspended you wouldn't have a compass but rather a wet pin in a case. It could be circumvented by removing the pin, drying it, and replacing it, but that would take more time than just looking at a compass. So that's why I said to have it suspended some other way, perhaps perpendicular to another pin or two that would allow free movement but not be reliant of water tension to support an object.

Brickwall
2006-05-17, 09:54 PM
Chain Mail Bikini:

Umm, you never mentioned what it does when a male wears the female version. That might be important.

SlyJohnny
2006-05-17, 11:18 PM
Actually, it's a tradition in fantasy that the amount of protection an attractive womans armor provides is inversely proportional to the amount of flesh it covers :P

TheThan
2006-05-18, 01:14 AM
SlyJonny: Actually, it's a tradition in fantasy that the amount of protection an attractive womans armor provides is inversely proportional to the amount of flesh it covers
Yeah, I know but I wanted to make sure it was balanced.

As for the compass, its all just flavor text so it doesn’t matter how the compass is actually put together. Heck in a game with dragons and wizards does it really matter?

Orion-the-G
2006-05-18, 01:19 AM
There is no male chainmail bikini. Instead there is simply this:

Furry Lioncloth
Weight: 3 lbs.

Grants +2 on intimidate checks and -2 on checks for concealment or any Diplomacy or Bluff rolls made in civilized societies.

TheThan
2006-05-18, 01:27 AM
Orion-the-G, you sir get a cookie.

*gives cookie*

Jack Mann
2006-05-18, 05:12 AM
Bride of the Portable Hole has stats for bikini armor. It also has rules for Naked Defense (+1 to AC if you're scantily clad, +2 if you're completely naked), only applicible when facing enemies that are reasonably similar to you. When wearing bikini armor, your Naked Defense is replaced by the full AC bonus the armor would normally give you (+2 for a studded leather bikini, +8 for bikini full plate). Males wear loincloths, torn shirts, and codpieces.

Quincunx
2006-05-18, 06:28 AM
JackMann: This idea intrigues me and I wish to learn more.

My youthful science experiments instructed me to stick the pin through a bit of cork and then float that in the bowl of water.

Thiel
2006-05-18, 06:37 AM
Suspend the needle in Mercury.
Since mercury is heavier than iron it should work out well enough.

soylentplaid
2006-05-18, 10:47 AM
And the players won't think to ask about the details of their compass, and so won't know where the Int damage keeps coming from! Muhahaha!

Shatenjager
2006-05-18, 11:15 AM
What are they doing drinking compasses? Oh, I get it, you're giving int penalties not for mercury poisoning, but for being retarded (no offence to the mentally challenged, most of whom don't drink compass.)

mr._Tentacles
2006-05-18, 11:35 AM
You still breathe the mercury that vaporates (unless the compass is covered or something, but what crazy DM would do that).

But I think 10 gold is way too cheap for the compass, it's better than discern north (+2 bonus), and it's at the very least a masterwork item (making it 50 gold).

Leperflesh
2006-05-18, 06:58 PM
Most old compasses have a compass needle which is floating on a 'raft' in some kind of fluid. Water or oil works just fine... mercury does work, however, mercury is conductive so I think that might throw things off.

Many compasses don't have a 'floating' needle at all. Instead, the needle is built to balance on a pin, and enclosed in a case so that the needle can spin freely on its pin like an axle. Of course the balance has to be perfect, and the axle has to fit into a good bracket both above and below the pin, to keep if from 'tilting' when the compass isn't perfectly level. This does work though, and probably isn't all that hard for a skilled Gnome to put together.

An important question, though: does the world your characters live in have a polar-aligned magnetic field? Does it even have poles? Is there a bright star conveniently located above the north (or, in the southern hemisphere, the south) pole?

On Earth, Magnetic North is not at the same place as True North (axial North), and worse, Magnetic North moves around. Historically it has been quite far from axial north at times. And a planet with a lower magnetic field (or none at all... or a land which isn't a planet, such as a diskworld or flat-earth or whatever) might have nothing at all which a compass could point towards.

-Lep

TheThan
2006-05-18, 07:11 PM
In my world true north and axle north are both going to be one and the same (for simplicity and ease mainly) despite the planetary “wobble” you mentioned. I’ll probably go with normal (earth standard?) gravity. As far as a North Star, sure why not, I’ll probably put a constellation around it or something too.

I know how typical compasses are put together, but like I said its all fluff so it doesn’t really matter.

Dalcassius
2006-05-19, 03:38 PM
Ok, I stopped into a specialized stationary store on one of my runs today (I'm a courier) and found something very interesting. Glass quills. There is a company that has been making them for over 300 years. I was thinking of adding them to my game as a MW item. Here are the stats I've got done up;

Ink Pen, Glass.....52gp...*lbs.
A glass (or crystal) ink pen is a beautiful piece of art in its own right. Usually made in different colors and styles, the tips are always the same, a swirl of glass (or crystal). Simply owning one is a mark of honor and class if not social rank. Using a glass ink pen gives a +2 circumstance bonus to Forgery checks involving handwriting and Profession (Scribe) checks.

I thought about letting it give some sort of benefit with scribing scrolls, but I think that would be a bit much, if not a little pointless.

soylentplaid
2006-05-19, 03:47 PM
A bit of a request: what sort of items could I use to accessorize a longbow? There are crossbow scopes somewhere, but how about for longbows/composite bows?

endoperez
2006-05-19, 03:56 PM

Furry Lioncloth

Grants +2 on intimidate checks and -2 on checks for concealment or any Diplomacy or Bluff rolls made in civilized societies.

Shouldn't that read:
Grants +2 on Intimidate and Concealment checks and -2 on any Diplocamy or Bluff rolls made in civilized societies. In addition, grants -2 on Concealment and Bluff rolls on non-civilized societies.

Just a thought... ;)

Collin152
2006-07-30, 10:39 PM

Furry Lioncloth
Weight: 3 lbs.

So... A Loincloth is restricting the movements of arcane casters by oner tenth theri potential? I hate to see the somatic components in YOUR games.