PDA

View Full Version : Jirix! NOOOOO!

Optimystik
2009-05-26, 10:48 AM
We hardly knew ye :smallfrown:

Who will staple the cover sheets to the TPS reports now? Just as important, is Tsukiko the only evil cleric left in the tower, and will Xykon let her 'heal' him after he's seen that creepy doll of hers?

Ancalagon
2009-05-26, 10:53 AM
First the healing, then the kissing, then the marriage... this is the beginning of a wonderful relationship...

Lufia
2009-05-26, 10:57 AM
Creepy doll? Man, I'd totally want a Xykon doll! Well, I do have a Tonberry plushie, so that might explain why. (What? They're huggable!)

Optimystik
2009-05-26, 11:22 AM
You two are disgusting biophiliacs. :smalltongue:

Think Jirix might score a rez?

Hatchet
2009-05-26, 11:23 AM
When Redcloak gets back, he can resurrect him faster than you can say "reduced impact of character mortality".

Berserk Monk
2009-05-26, 11:39 AM
Was Jirix a cleric? I don't think he was every mentioned as being one. I thought he was just a general. As for him being dead, whatever. How many strips was he in? Gotta be less than 20. He had no character development and did nothing really attention grabbing.

Blackjackg
2009-05-26, 11:42 AM
10 appearances, counting today. According to this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=90191).

Jirix isn't getting resurrected. Animated, yes. Rezzed, no.

shadzar
2009-05-26, 11:46 AM
There goes RC's best chance at an eye restoration. Who will be firsxt? RC to raise alive, or Tsuki to raise dead? :smalleek:

:smallconfused: An undead cleric....hmmmmm

Swordster
2009-05-26, 11:52 AM
There goes RC's best chance at an eye restoration.

Redcloak can heal his own eye. In fact,
he's offered to heal eyes before...

I will likewise miss Jirix. Having a second in command is good for Redcloak. He produces more exposition scenes that way.

Lufia
2009-05-26, 11:58 AM
You two are disgusting biophiliacs. :smalltongue:
And you... aren't? So that makes you a necrophiliac? Or an undead-o-philiac?
I think you might have mis-worded something, here... :smallwink:

I'll miss Jirix too if he's not raised. It would be good to have some Hobgoblins evolve from "mook".

Dark Faun
2009-05-26, 12:07 PM
It's a shame. I liked Jirix.

Now Redcloak will be forced to talk to Tsukiko if he wants intelligent conversation. :smalltongue:

Mr. Scaly
2009-05-26, 12:21 PM
Sigh...and I was just getting over MBD's death...

Optimystik
2009-05-26, 12:32 PM
Jirix isn't getting resurrected. Animated, yes. Rezzed, no.

Don't be so sure. SoD:
If Redcloak is still feeling guilty about animating his brother (and worse, being afraid to resurrect him) then he might make a point of performing this service for Jirix, as another symbol of the growing estrangement between Xykon and himself. Especially if he's about to go visit Right-Eye as we expect.

Or he might make Jirix a Huecuva, causing him to Take a Level in Badass :smallsmile:

I will likewise miss Jirix. Having a second in command is good for Redcloak. He produces more exposition scenes that way.

Yes, exactly. Jirix was RC's outlet for his "good of the goblin people" speeches. With both Jirix and Right-Eye dead, he won't be able to justify his actions to himself. Tsukiko and Xykon surely couldn't care less.

Bouregard
2009-05-26, 12:41 PM
i think jirix is just a writers way to have someone for redcloak to speak to. I mean.... it wouldn't help RC's sanity if he talk to walls.

shadzar
2009-05-26, 12:54 PM
Redcloak can heal his own eye. In fact,
he's offered to heal eyes before...

Yeah, but now he needs a mirror and turmoil to look into the mirror and decide if he wants to do it after seeing Right-eye starting back at him. :smallwink:

If Jirix hadn't died he might have just healed it out of instinct without giving RC the time to think about it and the implications of his own reflection.

Alex Warlorn
2009-05-26, 12:57 PM
Redcloak will have Jirix resurrected in two days tops.

Optimystik
2009-05-26, 01:35 PM
Yeah, but now he needs a mirror and turmoil to look into the mirror and decide if he wants to do it after seeing Right-eye starting back at him. :smallwink:

If Jirix hadn't died he might have just healed it out of instinct without giving RC the time to think about it and the implications of his own reflection.

You're assuming Jirix can cast Regeneration (a 7th-level spell, which would put him close to Durkon's level.) Also, you don't need a mirror to find your eye socket :smallwink:

i think jirix is just a writers way to have someone for redcloak to speak to. I mean.... it wouldn't help RC's sanity if he talk to walls.

More importantly, he's a goblin for Redcloak to speak to. If RC just wanted to straight-up vent he could go to the MitD or a zombie. But talking about your grand vision for the goblin race has a lot more punch if your listener is an enthusiastically agreeing goblin underling, especially one smart enough to follow your logic.

Volkov
2009-05-26, 01:40 PM
Now we'll never have an epic level Jirix terrorizing the country side!!! NOOOO!!!

Blackjackg
2009-05-26, 01:41 PM

How many actual raises or rezzes have we seen in the series thus far? Successful ones, I mean. I'm no super-fan, but I can't think of a single one. Not even off-page. They've talked about it, they've attempted it, but it hasn't happened yet. Clearly, Rich saves that device for special occasions-- as a storyteller should! Jirix, with his mighty ten strips' worth of appearances, doesn't qualify.

Animation, on the other hand, is used frequently and nigh-indiscriminately. I theorize the next time we see Jirix, he'll be just another mook swelling the zombie horde.

shadzar
2009-05-26, 01:56 PM
You're assuming Jirix can cast Regeneration (a 7th-level spell, which would put him close to Durkon's level.) Also, you don't need a mirror to find your eye socket :smallwink:

Why couldn't he have been close to that level? He survived the chain lightning like all the rest. Then O'Chul killed him afterwards. Jirix could have easily been a good level up there being RC's right-eye right-hand man hobgoblin.

No but RC will need a mirror for character realization and development. :smallwink:

Optimystik
2009-05-26, 02:11 PM
Why couldn't he have been close to that level? He survived the chain lightning like all the rest. Then O'Chul killed him afterwards.

Having another caster on Team Evil with that high a level would have stacked the odds too much against our PCs. It would also diminish Tsukiko's own role as 3rd seat.

He couldn't have been very high anyway, considering O-Chul one-shot him with an improvised weapon without even smiting.

Zevox
2009-05-26, 02:25 PM
Why couldn't he have been close to that level? He survived the chain lightning like all the rest.
The chain lightning was 10d6 damage, assuming a failed save. Average of 35. A level 5 cleric with a good (16+) constitution score could have survived it, albeit barely (and hey, that would explain how O-Chul so easily one-hit-KOed him).

Zevox

Secris
2009-05-26, 02:30 PM
How many actual raises or rezzes have we seen in the series thus far? Successful ones, I mean. I'm no super-fan, but I can't think of a single one. Not even off-page. They've talked about it, they've attempted it, but it hasn't happened yet.

I'm not saying whether Jirix will raised or not, but I can think of one raise dead in the strip so far. Granted, the guy is an extremely powerful and rich, and knew about it ahead of time, but still, it has happened.

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0571.html

Morty
2009-05-26, 02:41 PM
The chain lightning was 10d6 damage, assuming a failed save. Average of 35. A level 5 cleric with a good (16+) constitution score could have survived it, albeit barely (and hey, that would explain how O-Chul so easily one-hit-KOed him).

Zevox

I don't think Jirix was a cleric anyway; he seemed to be the General's successor as Redcloak's second in command, which suggests fighter levels.

Optimystik
2009-05-26, 02:42 PM
There's been a ton of raises off-camera if you count the Thieves' Guild. We probably won't know how many until we can see the bonus strips. And none of them were major characters, either.

shadzar
2009-05-26, 02:47 PM
Having another caster on Team Evil with that high a level would have stacked the odds too much against our PCs. It would also diminish Tsukiko's own role as 3rd seat.

He couldn't have been very high anyway, considering O-Chul one-shot him with an improvised weapon without even smiting.

Well what level would Jirix have needed to be to use an item or scroll created by Xykon/RC with the spell on it?

I mean that is why Jirix was kept around by RC I am pretty sure. A walking first-aid kit, and you don't want to run out of band-aids (spells) so keep some spare (scrolls/items for supplemental healing).

Swordster
2009-05-26, 02:49 PM

Oh I agree completely. I object to people who are claiming that Redcloak is somehow unable to regenerate it. This is definitely an opening to some reflection and development.

Redcloak didn't resurrect the hobgoblin general or the cleric who was in the courtyard. They're the bad guys, remember? His new condition may change his attitudes towards his followers, but for now, while he certainly cares for the hobgoblin race as a whole, he's not gonna be so attached to one goblin that he'll throw out 5,000 gp of diamonds for him. Also, I disagree with "two days". I'm convinced Redcloak's Word of Recall took him away from Azure City, and with Cloister in effect and possibly with no holy symbol, Redcloak is gonna have quite a time getting back to Xykon.

Antacid
2009-05-26, 04:11 PM
Now RC will need a mirror for character realization and development. :smallwink:[/spoiler]
I'm holding out for a scene where RC goes into an area touched by the Dark Side Twelve Gods and has a light-saber magic duel with a vision of Darth Vader Xykon. Then Xykon's skull explodes and it was actually Right-eye. Something like that.

I'm not sure if the metaphor still works, but DO WANT.

Optimystik
2009-05-26, 04:23 PM
Well what level would Jirix have needed to be to use an item or scroll created by Xykon/RC with the spell on it?

Assuming Redcloak is level 16, that makes the DC of successfully using a Regenerate scroll made by him 17. To have a 50-50 chance of success, Jirix would therefore need to be at least level 7. If he's level 12, that raises his chances to 75%.

I mean that is why Jirix was kept around by RC I am pretty sure. A walking first-aid kit, and you don't want to run out of band-aids (spells) so keep some spare (scrolls/items for supplemental healing).

Jirix was most likely kept around because he's the next-highest cleric in the army (behind Redcloak and Tsukiko.) Xykon was unlikely to let a mook take part in their O-Chul bets.

I'm holding out for a scene where RC goes into an area touched by the Dark Side Twelve Gods and has a light-saber magic duel with a vision of Darth Vader Xykon. Then Xykon's skull explodes and it was actually Right-eye. Something like that.

I'm not sure if the metaphor still works, but DO WANT.

Your example is quite ironic, given the origin of the phrase "Do Not Want." :smallwink:

ericgrau
2009-05-26, 04:39 PM
Who? <Reads 1st post> Oh, him.

Rin_Hunter
2009-05-26, 04:47 PM
I always assumed that Jirix was a cleric because of the cloak. It ties into
When Redcloak first gets his cloak and all the other Goblin clerics having a cloak. Also, there was that Goblin cleric near the start of the comic that Roy hated for having class levels.
I think that he will probably not get resurrected, but he had a name, so we never know... But then again, Yikyik...

I personally hope he gets resurrected because I enjoyed seeing another person for Redcloak to talk to.

I agree that Redcloak will probably be in for a world of emotional hurt if he looks into a mirror. I think that Redcloak will only regenerate the eye when
He forgives himself for what he did to Right-Eye and takes control of The Plan going so far out of his control. You can see he is gaining confidence, but this should hopefully help him face reality.

Dagren
2009-05-27, 12:50 AM
I don't think Jirix was a cleric anyway; he seemed to be the General's successor as Redcloak's second in command, which suggests fighter levels.Why can't he be both? IIRC Clerics hold many important and powerful positions in hobgoblin society.

Dr. Cthulwho
2009-05-27, 12:51 AM
Was Jirix a cleric? I don't think he was every mentioned as being one. I thought he was just a general.

He could be both, or he could just be the senior cleric after Redcloak. He certainly seemed high up in the civil administration as it were.

edit: ninja'd :smallsmile:

As for him being dead, whatever. How many strips was he in? Gotta be less than 20. He had no character development and did nothing really attention grabbing.

But he added atmosphere. He was chilling with Xykon while O-Chul went through his death traps, Redcloak shared some important characterization with him about his goals. He is the only Hobgoblin to have a name out of the entire occupation...

Plus he came back to help Redcloak and got O-Chul-i-nated for it. That should count for something.

Redcloak didn't resurrect the hobgoblin general or the cleric who was in the courtyard.

Well they were in the middle of a battle at the time, and then there was an explosion...

Still, I don't think a resurrection is likely either. It is a nice touch that in a comic that has a revolving door in the afterlife resurrections are often thwarted or put off (Shojo, the drunk wizard and Roy).

But intelligent undead maybe? Come on Tsukiko, make and awesome undead with Jirix.

SPoD
2009-05-27, 01:02 AM
I believe we are looking at a trend of all of Redcloak's assistants getting killed, one after another.

1.) General-with-a-beard died in the castle explosion.

2.) Cleric-who-fought-against-Soon got his head kicked off by Miko.

3.) Jirix is stabbed by O-Chul.

It could end up being a good running gag if handled properly.

Dagren
2009-05-27, 02:18 AM
I believe we are looking at a trend of all of Redcloak's assistants getting killed, one after another.

1.) General-with-a-beard died in the castle explosion.

2.) Cleric-who-fought-against-Soon got his head kicked off by Miko.

3.) Jirix is stabbed by O-Chul.

It could end up being a good running gag if handled properly."Nooo! I don't want to be assigned to the supreme leader! I know it's an honour, but his aides all end up dead!"?

puzpuz
2009-05-27, 02:44 AM
We hardly knew ye :smallfrown:

Who will staple the cover sheets to the TPS reports now? Just as important, is Tsukiko the only evil cleric left in the tower, and will Xykon let her 'heal' him after he's seen that creepy doll of hers?

Huh...? Oh, you mean that orange goblin that was almost invisible, barely talked, and did completely nothing...

Bye goblin. :smallsmile:

King of Nowhere
2009-05-27, 03:32 AM
Being the bearer of the crimson mantle is very dangerous, and tend to significatly shorter someone's life expectancy. Redcloak was good and lucky to stay alive that long.
Being the right hand of said bearer is very dangerous too, especially if you're not high level enough. Also, Jirix made a fatal mistake in not healing himself before searching the tower.
So, it is likely that every assistant of Redcloak will be killed.

I will miss Jirix. I liked to see the human (ok, tecnically goblinoid, but you know what I mean) face of the hobgoblin army.

Morty
2009-05-27, 04:40 AM
Why can't he be both? IIRC Clerics hold many important and powerful positions in hobgoblin society.

Well, it's just that fighters are more logical choice for military officers. Besides, the amulets of hobgoblin clerics are yellow, whereas Jirix's amulet was gray.

Dagren
2009-05-27, 05:08 AM
Well, it's just that fighters are more logical choice for military officers.Why? Fighter is obviously a better choice for a grunt, and maybe for a line officer, but why would it be better for a general? Access to magic (think divinations, intel is god in warfare) would seem more useful to them than a higher BAB, or at least seems that way to me.

Ancalagon
2009-05-27, 05:22 AM
"Nooo! I don't want to be assigned to the supreme leader! I know it's an honour, but his aides all end up dead!"?

"Then, do not worry. Not only his aides, but also all his and Xykon's minions end up dead quite often... you'll just get hit a bit earlier by death."

It's really not the first time all minions Xykon and Recloak "team up" with die...
Redcloaks original goblins? All dead.
Right-Eyes villiage and the goblins/ogres/... that were recruited back then? All dead.
And they already have lost like 1/3 of the vast hobgoblin civilisation they brought to Azure City in the war.

And that's not counting how many times Xykons lead his minions into certain death, from SoD we can deduct he already did that a few times before...

Blackjackg
2009-05-27, 06:00 AM
I'm not saying whether Jirix will raised or not, but I can think of one raise dead in the strip so far. Granted, the guy is an extremely powerful and rich, and knew about it ahead of time, but still, it has happened.

Stands corrected.

Good call, but you could certainly make a case for that being a special circumstance.

puzpuz
2009-05-27, 06:13 AM

But the kobold had a good reason, he wanted activate Belkar's curse. I don't see any reason for RC or Jirix to want O-Chul to kill Jirix.

Estelindis
2009-05-27, 06:18 AM
Being the bearer of the crimson mantle is very dangerous, and tend to significatly shorter someone's life expectancy.
I thought it lengthened a wearer's life expectancy. :smallwink: Well, technically. :smallredface:

Dr. Cthulwho
2009-05-27, 06:45 AM
"Then, do not worry. Not only his aides, but also all his and Xykon's minions end up dead quite often... you'll just get hit a bit earlier by death."

It's really not the first time all minions Xykon and Recloak "team up" with die...
Redcloaks original goblins? All dead.
Right-Eyes villiage and the goblins/ogres/... that were recruited back then? All dead.
And they already have lost like 1/3 of the vast hobgoblin civilisation they brought to Azure City in the war.

And that's not counting how many times Xykons lead his minions into certain death, from SoD we can deduct he already did that a few times before...

Which gives Xykon's "We're ALWAYS hiring" some nice context. :smallbiggrin:

Although strictly they didn't hire the Hobgoblins, they took advantage of their leadership rituals.

Ancalagon
2009-05-27, 06:50 AM
They strickly also did not really "hire" Right-Eyes village. Which was "I can only see two types of goblins within a 20 mile radius: Those who work for me and those with their internal organs external. Which of those types are you?"

ImmortalAer
2009-05-27, 06:57 AM
But intelligent undead maybe? Come on Tsukiko, make and awesome undead with Jirix.

:smalleek:

I defenitly didn't take that wrong. At all.
Oh. Hidden text, by the way.

ScIaDrd
2009-05-27, 07:07 AM
Alas poor Jirix, I knew him well.
Actualy I didnīt. But oh right...
I hopre Redclock gets another aide, because he surely needs another conversation partner/spear carrier/ and Mister Exposition.
He will surely be missed, being ignobly impaled on a mere blunt stick as yet another example of O-Chulīs infinte awesomness. But maybe he will get transformed into some cool undead critter, oh yeah.:smallbiggrin:

Assassin89
2009-05-27, 10:08 AM
Jirix was a good minor character, but some minor characters need to die in order to tell the story and some just need to die (I'm looking at you Oracle of the Sunken Valley). Then there is the third group that lives.

Dr. Cthulwho
2009-05-27, 10:52 AM
:smalleek:

I defenitly didn't take that wrong. At all.
Oh. Hidden text, by the way.

I see what you did there. :smallwink:

But now that you mention it... :smalleek: indeed.

David Argall
2009-05-27, 02:10 PM
We might note here that O-Chul got another 20 on init to attack the hobgoblin who walked up behind him, and then 20 to hit to get past the armor, and to administer enough damage to kill him.

Jirix just didn't get a break.

doodthedud
2009-05-28, 11:58 PM
Jirix had one of the cooler outfits.

Optimystik
2009-05-30, 02:04 AM
Maybe Jirix kicked the bucket, but at least his potions didn't go to waste. :smallwink:

The amount he was carrying (and their potency) might be a hint at his level. Would a neophyte need that much healing in stow? Miko only had one, after all...

Ridureyu
2009-05-30, 02:34 AM
[QUOTE=Ancalagon;6163561And they already have lost like 1/3 of the vast hobgoblin civilisation they brought to Azure City in the war.
[/QUOTE]

Correction Belkar killed like 1/3 of the vast hobgoblin civilization. Everybody else took down a few stragglers:smallbiggrin:

Dr. Cthulwho
2009-05-30, 04:31 AM
Maybe Jirix kicked the bucket, but at least his potions didn't go to waste. :smallwink:

Indeed. His death did have meaning, although not the one he probably would have wanted.

The amount he was carrying (and their potency) might be a hint at his level. Would a neophyte need that much healing in stow? Miko only had one, after all...

That is an interesting point.

doodthedud
2009-05-30, 09:21 AM
Correction Belkar killed like 1/3 of the vast hobgoblin civilization. Everybody else took down a few stragglers:smallbiggrin:

While Belkar DID kill a pretty large amount, the main thing that took out their third was the castle's explosion.

Red XIV
2009-05-30, 11:54 AM
Redcloak didn't resurrect the hobgoblin general or the cleric who was in the courtyard.
They didn't have names. :smallbiggrin:

They're the bad guys, remember? His new condition may change his attitudes towards his followers, but for now, while he certainly cares for the hobgoblin race as a whole, he's not gonna be so attached to one goblin that he'll throw out 5,000 gp of diamonds for him.
Based on wealth by level rules and the fact that Redcloak is likely around level 17, 5000 gp is chump change for him.

Also, I disagree with "two days". I'm convinced Redcloak's Word of Recall took him away from Azure City, and with Cloister in effect and possibly with no holy symbol, Redcloak is gonna have quite a time getting back to Xykon.
Holy symbols aren't exactly rare, hard to find items. Cloister is still an issue, of course, but if Redcloak has a means of getting teleported, he can just be teleported to immediately outside of Azure City and walk the rest of the way.

Keeping Redcloak temporarily separated from Xykon for character development purposes makes sense, but it wouldn't be for too long because, let's face it. Team Evil has to leave Azure City and head to Girard's Gate at some point for the story to progress.