PDA

View Full Version : Spell Reflecting

Zeful
2006-03-04, 02:12 PM
Spell Reflecting: A weapon with this ability can reflect any spell that specificly targets the weilder, as through the Spell Turning spell. This ability can be suppressed anytime as a standered action.
Strong Abjuration; CL18; Craft Magic Arms and Armor, Spell turning, Spell Immunity; Price +5 bonus.

Am I missing anything?

Abd al-Azrad
2006-03-04, 02:21 PM
You're missing the fact that it's too good. A ring of Spell Turning is ~100,000gp, and only works a few times per day. Your weapon could be as cheap as 72,000gp, and works infinitely. It's a cheap item that makes you partially immune to magical attacks... I feel it's too good.

OzymandiasVolt
2006-03-04, 02:32 PM
Let's take a look at the SRD, shall we?

"Great Reflection

Any time its bearer of this shield is targeted with a spell, it automatically reflects the spell back at the caster (as the spell turning spell). The wearer can lower or raise this effect as a free action (thus allowing beneficial spells in as desired).

Caster Level: 25th; Prerequisites: Craft Magic Arms and Armor, Craft Epic Magic Arms and Armor, spell turning; Market Price: +10 bonus."

It's basically the exact same thing, only it's much more expensive, it's EPIC, it can only be used on armor, and it's official.

Soniku
2006-03-05, 09:57 AM
I had a weapon with a similar ability, but to do that I had to "baseball bat" the spell back. Not too hard on somethihg like a fireball, but really fast spells will be near impossible =p

nows7
2006-03-05, 10:32 AM
Spell Reflecting: A weapon with this ability can reflect any spell that specificly targets the weilder, as through the Spell Turning spell. This ability can be suppressed anytime as a standered action.
Strong Abjuration; CL18; Craft Magic Arms and Armor, Spell turning, Spell Immunity; Price +5 bonus.

Am I missing anything?

Where did you find this?

Zeful
2006-03-05, 02:11 PM
No where, I thought it up, granted the way I intended it was far different than it is on paper. It was orginally a monster ability that would reflect spells that didn't beat it's Spell Resistance, with all the disadvantiges of spell turning. When I transfered it to a weapon ability the result was the above.

Darkie
2006-03-05, 10:22 PM
Quite clearly, the result doesn't work. The existing Epic power is "Caster Level: 25th; Prerequisites: Craft Magic Arms and Armor, Craft Epic Magic Arms and Armor, spell turning; Market Price: +10 bonus" as Ozy said, so... no.

Dalcassius
2006-03-05, 10:53 PM
There are effects you can put weapons and armour (includeing shields) that do a similar effect, its just a matter of finding them in the books. Some suggestions I have are the "complete" series, the FRCS, magic of FR and perhaps the "races of" books. I know what you're looking for isn't Unearthed Arcana, so I can save you some work there. I'll skip through my collection if I get time and come back and update with info. We'll see.

Zeful
2006-03-06, 12:08 AM
I don't have any of those books but I recently looked at the Complete Warrior, more specificly the Occult Slayer Prestige Class. The flavor text says that they can reflect spells back at the caster. At tenth level.

OzymandiasVolt
2006-03-06, 03:25 AM
My, how delightfully out of context.

Yes, at 10th level they can reflect spells back...twice per day.

The epic ability functions continuously.

The Glyphstone
2006-03-06, 06:44 AM
An Occult Slayer at 10th level is Epic anyways...the PrC only has 5 levels in it... ;D :D

Dhavaer
2006-03-06, 06:47 AM
And you can't have 10 levels in a 5 level PrC, even in Epic.
If you made it so it only functioned for a few rounds a day, and was activated in total defence, it might not be too unbalanced.

OzymandiasVolt
2006-03-06, 09:27 AM
An Occult Slayer at 10th level is Epic anyways...the PrC only has 5 levels in it... ;D :D

5 levels in a class with +1 BAB progression and 5 levels of Occult slayer = 10th level, Mr. I-Enjoy-Taking-Things-Literally-So-I-Can-Say-Funny-Things. :P

Zeful
2006-03-06, 10:46 AM
And you can't have 10 levels in a 5 level PrC, even in Epic.
If you made it so it only functioned for a few rounds a day, and was activated in total defence, it might not be too unbalanced.
Thank you for your advise, I'm new to weapon ability creation so when I asked if I missed anything, I ment something more like, help me complete this. Granted I should have said that at the begining, but I didn't.

The Glyphstone
2006-03-06, 10:46 AM
5 levels in a class with +1 BAB progression and 5 levels of Occult slayer = 10th level, Mr. I-Enjoy-Taking-Things-Literally-So-I-Can-Say-Funny-Things. :P

Many apologies, Mr. Can-Apparently-Read-The-Minds-Of-The-Poster-And-Find-Additional-Meanings-Despite-The-Fact-That-10-Level-PrCs-Are-Quite-Common-And-The-Poster-Might-Have-Made-A-Mistake. ;D :D :P

This has been a message from Mr. I-Have-No-Clue-What-This-Disagreement-Is-About. ???

Zeful
2006-03-06, 10:52 AM
I didn't make a mistake. I was refering to character level not class level.

The Glyphstone
2006-03-06, 11:55 AM
Well, glad that's cleared up.

Now, back to the actual topic...

Your weapon ability really is vastly underpriced, considering all the other examples.
-Occult Slayer - at 5th level (char. 10th), can deflect 2/day.
-Ring of Spell turning - 100,000Gp, can deflect 1/day.
-Spell Turning Shield ability - +5 bonus, can deflect 1/day.

-epic Great Reflection ability - +10 bonus, Epic, deflects at will.

Zeful
2006-03-06, 12:08 PM
So how about thrice a day when using the full defence action as described by Dhavaer?

The Glyphstone
2006-03-06, 01:01 PM
That's not bad at all - usable only in Total Defense is a good limiter. I'd price that at +5, maybe +4.

OzymandiasVolt
2006-03-06, 04:07 PM
Many apologies, Mr. Can-Apparently-Read-The-Minds-Of-The-Poster-And-Find-Additional-Meanings-Despite-The-Fact-That-10-Level-PrCs-Are-Quite-Common-And-The-Poster-Might-Have-Made-A-Mistake. ;D :D :P

This has been a message from Mr. I-Have-No-Clue-What-This-Disagreement-Is-About. ???

I must now change my name to Mr. Doesn't-Make-It-Obvious-Enough-When-He's-Being-Sarcastic.

There is no disagreement. I was just clarifying what I said and poking fun at yaz.

Zeful
2006-03-07, 01:48 PM
We could call you Mr. Needs-to-get-back-on-topic