PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Cleric spell granting Natural Armor bonus?

Capricornus
2009-05-26, 06:09 PM
Does anyone know of a Cleric spell that grants a Natural Armor bonus? I've gone through PHB, PHB2, SC and Complete Champion and haven't found any. Barring Miracle shenanigans, I'm stumped so far.

Particulars: L20 Cleric/Radiant Servant of Pelor, Sun, Glory and Healing Domains. Access to any D&D 3.5 book published by WotC except Setting-specific material, i.e. Faerun, Eberron.

quick_comment
2009-05-26, 06:15 PM
I think there is a spell called abberate (LoM maybe?) its basically just barkskin, but abomination instead of nature. Not sure if its arcane or cleric though.

Quietus
2009-05-26, 06:48 PM
Well, Barkskin itself is a level 2 Plant-domain spell.. I know you said you're trying to avoid Miracle shenanigans, but if it comes right down to it, you should be able to replicate Barkskin with it. Of course, that's a level 9 spell to get +5 natural armor. :smallsigh:

Capricornus
2009-05-26, 06:49 PM
Yeah, slightly better than that is Tortoiseshell, from the Spell Compendium, which at my character's current caster level grants a +9 natural armor bonus (plus a reduction in movement speed). It's a L7 or L6 Druid spell.

woodenbandman
2009-05-26, 06:54 PM
Use the Spell(I think) domain for Anyspell?

Berserk Monk
2009-05-26, 06:58 PM
Does it have to be natural armor?

Cat's Grace (+4 four dex)
Shield of Law (+4 deflection bonus)

Stoneskin can at least give you huge DR as well as the ability to just completely ignore a whole bunch of damage. (You have to be a cleric of earth or strength though)

Sorry I can't actually answer your question.

mostlyharmful
2009-05-26, 07:10 PM
when in doubt, homebrew.

Bump it up a level or reduce the duration to be sure not to undermine another guys schtick and pay the research costs (including DM pizza ration) and bob's your non-direct first generation ancestoral relative.

mikej
2009-05-26, 09:02 PM
Just spells to increase your Natural Armor?

- Potions of Barkskin
- Shapechange [form with large Natural Armor]
- Miracle to replicate the Wu Gen's Giant Size spell from the Complete Arcane
- Anyspell into Polymorph [form with large Natural Armor]

Capricornus
2009-05-26, 09:21 PM
So, looks like Miracle is my only spell option with my current domains and classes.

Otherwise, potions, or magic items in order to get a Natural Armor bonus to AC.

Starbuck_II
2009-05-26, 09:23 PM
Righteous Might gives +2 NA.

If it doesn't need to natural:
Foundation of Stone: Gives +2 AC while not moving.

Curmudgeon
2009-05-27, 12:54 AM
Death Dragon (Spell Compendium) gives a +4 enhancement bonus to natural armor. Greater Visage of the Deity (same book) gives you a base +1 natural armor.

If you have the Mother Cyst feat you can cast Necrotic Empowerment (both Libris Mortis) to get a +8 natural armor bonus to AC.

Capricornus
2009-05-27, 08:40 AM
Yes, I noticed Greater Visage, but hadn't Death Dragon. Kind of out of character for a Radiant Servant though, and the restriction on spellcasting is a pain. :D

Righteous Might is an option I saw, though the +2 NA is offset by the -1 for size and the dex penalty.

I also noticed foundation of stone, though losing the bonus if you move kinda sucks.

I'm just trying to boost my AC.
I have Mithril Full Plate (+8 Armor)
A Heavy Steel Shield (+2 Shield)
both with +5 Magic Vestment (+10 Enhancement)
A +5 Deflection bonus from a ring.
A +2 Dodge bonus from Visions of the Future.
+2 Dex bonus.
Making AC 39

I can get a +1 Morale bonus to AC from Divine Protection
and a +2 Luck bonus from Recitation
and an untyped bonus of +2 from Interfaith Blessing
AC 44

Question though... Shield of Warding would be an excellent addition, with a +5 Sacred bonus and +5 to Reflex saves, but my shield has the Animated property. Would I get the bonus? The spell says the shield needs to be "worn or carried normally", but my shield would be floating next to me (I use a two-handed weapon).

derfenrirwolv
2009-05-27, 08:46 AM
Nope. and there's a reason for that. NATURAL armor is a druids thing.

Get the amulet of barkskin. Or get a druid to brew up the potion at a higher caster level.

Transmutation
Level: Brd 2, Drd 2, Rgr 2, Sor/Wiz 2<---- NO cleric. Clerics cannot cast cats grace unless they have a domain spell.

Capricornus
2009-05-27, 09:12 AM
Oh my, thanks for pointing that out to me... somehow I just assumed Clerics had Cat's grace... Oh well, there are other Dex boosting options for Clerics at least (Animalistic Power, Divine Agility, or Chasing Perfection come to mind.)

derfenrirwolv
2009-05-27, 09:40 AM
Yeah, my group missed that for years too till i went to put it on my cleric list for the mystic theurge