PDA

View Full Version : Spell Traps

Zeta Kai
2009-05-26, 06:16 PM
I've heard a lot of talk about create food & water traps, mending traps, & other non-combat "traps" that would completely destabilize a realistic medieval society. So, how do these "traps" function? How are they different than ordinary magical traps? How does a PC go about creating them? How much would they cost to make? Why would someone want to create a non-combat "trap"?

yilduz
2009-05-26, 06:19 PM
lol I've never heard of such a thing, but just found this.
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=109791

:smallbiggrin:

Starbuck_II
2009-05-26, 06:59 PM
I've heard a lot of talk about create food & water traps, mending traps, & other non-combat "traps" that would completely destabilize a realistic medieval society. So, how do these "traps" function? How are they different than ordinary magical traps? How does a PC go about creating them? How much would they cost to make? Why would someone want to create a non-combat "trap"?

In general, traps that have reset functions (cost more to initially make but well worth it) can keep doing it forever.

Heck, it isn't breaking authors intent: Stronghold Builder's Guide suggests this tactic (well, they suggest using their reset traps, but same idea).

Meaning WotC wants you to make them in that method.

Technically, nothing means a trap must be on a immobile surface. Which leads to carry a reseting trap for that mending useage/healing, etc.

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-05-26, 11:18 PM
Essentially, the Trap rules, among other things, adjucate how to make a trap that casts a spell. Traps also adjucate how the various methods of resetting the trap work(manual reset, auto in X rounds, trap needs repair, trap is destroyed). Combining these 2 gets you magic spells cast every round someone walks over a certain square. That's even RAI, as Dungonscape mentions having an Undead monster in a room with auto-reset Mass Inflict X Wounds as a way of keeping traps interesting. Except that leads to traps of Create Food and Water or Prestidigitation, activated by pulling a lever. The traps are generally shrines to the god Tippy.