PDA

View Full Version : Golems Aplenty

GreatWyrmGold
2009-05-26, 06:48 PM
This is a combination of game and homebrew. Each person makes a golem of the material posted by the guy above them, then posts a material for the next person. Try to stick to reasonably serious materials.

First material: Potion bottles!

Inkyrius
2009-05-27, 07:18 PM
A golem made entirely of potion bottles, yay! No more wondering what to do with all the bottles from my healing potions!

Umm...material; books.

kyoten
2009-05-27, 07:51 PM
Ooh! A paper mache golem!

Material: Quills

The Mentalist
2009-05-27, 08:04 PM
I'll give it a shot.

Just special abilities, if I fully statted them It'd take too long.

Just use Animated Objects at the moment.

Potion Bottle:
1. Alchemical Burst: Launch Alchemist's Fire (or Acid or Frost) at a range of 100ft at will
2. Medic: Dispense a Potion of Cure Light Wounds as a free action 3 a day
3. Super Soldier: Give a +2 Alchemical bonus (10 minutes per HD) to any ally as a standard action;touch range

Books:
1. Fire Vulnerability
2. Silent Image at will
3. Comprehend Languages constant
4. +4 Competence Bonus to Intelligence to all allies within 60ft

As for Quills what kind feather or porcupine?

kopout
2009-05-27, 08:10 PM
How 'bout both. just for kicks.

Berserk Monk
2009-05-27, 08:12 PM
First off, this is the type of thing that could go in SMBG.

Second, did the last guy name a material? I'll just go with quills: the dreaded CR 49 Epic Quill Golem Beheboth:

39,000 lb.
9.5x10^11 quills to construct

Ending note: I'd just like to say, there is actually a thing called a paper golem (saw it in one of the dragon magazines) so you can't really take golems seriously ever.

PumpkinEater
2009-05-27, 08:17 PM
I remeber seeing an Origami Golem. I got a paper cut from attempting origami once. It is a fearsome enemy indeed.

Baron Corm
2009-05-27, 09:03 PM
I'm pretty sure the intention was for you to actually stat out the golem, otherwise it would be in SMBG.

Bergor Terraf
2009-05-28, 02:36 AM
Well, if we have to stat them out, here is my attempt for the first one :

Potion bottles

Potion Bottle Golem
Medium-Size Construct
HD 10d10 (55)
Speed 30 ft. (6 squares)(can't run)
Init: +0
AC 15; touch 10; flat-footed 15
(+5 natural)
BAB +7; Grp +8
Attack slam* +8 (1d8+1, 20/x2)
Full-Attack 2 slams* +8 (1d8+1, 20/x2)
Space 5 ft.; Reach 5 ft.
Special Attacks
Special Qualities Construct traits, DR 10/+1, Bottle frame, *Bottle hands, Magic immunity
Saves Fort +3 Ref +3 Will +3
Abilities Str 13, Dex 10, Con -, Int 4, Wis 10, Cha 7
Skills None
Feats None
Challenge Rating 5 (For an empty one)

Construct traits : Same as Monster Manual

Bottle frame : This golem is interely made of empty potion bottles. The number of usable bottles is determined by his total HP. His creator can fill them with any potion he wants. For each point of damage, a bottle breaks (at random), releasing it's content on the attacker if it was a melee hit. (don't forget to account for empty bottles when choosing randomly).

Bottle hands : Instead of hands, this golem has a bottle at the end of each arm. When first used, they deal 1d8 blundgening damage, but the force of the impact shatters the bottle. This releases the content (if any) on the target, then the broken glass can be used to attack for 1d6 slashing damage.

Magic immunity : Immunity to all spells, spell like abilities and supernatural abilities. Exception : A shatter spell works normally, a mending spell heals 2d6 HP and sonic attacks work normaly.

Construction : A potion bottle Golem is constructed from 250 potion bottles and costs 10 000 gp to create. Assembling the body requires a successful Craft (glassmaking) check (DC 25).

Note : Even though you use 250 potion bottles, a lot are unusable because they have been melted to better fit or are too deep inside the body to be reachable.

Be warned, it's my first monster, probably a couple mistakes here and there.

Now the new material : Teeth

Debihuman
2009-05-28, 07:43 AM
Shouldn't the number of bottles be at least 25 X HD? How could you create a golem with fewer bottles if no other materials are involved?

As it stands now, 20 potion bottles would hardly create a monster large enough to be Medium size. 250 potion bottles makes it a little more credible.

Also, you need to put in the creation information.

Debby

Bergor Terraf
2009-05-28, 04:20 PM
I made some corrections to the potion bottle golem (I shouldn't post at 3am) : Changed number of usable bottle from half HP to total HP, added the creation information and added a note to explain why the number of bottles needed for creation and the number of usable bottles differ.

How's that so far?

GreatWyrmGold
2009-05-28, 05:55 PM
Bergor Terraf: Thanks for posting stats! It's great if you do, but it's o.k. if you only post a "backbone" (unusual special abilities, notes on immunity to magic, ways they differ from MM golems, etc).

Official next material: Teeth!

KingGolem
2009-05-28, 07:43 PM
Say, if you're in to golems, you might want to check out these two (http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=633415) threads (http://forums.gleemax.com/wotc_archive/index.php/t-819778) from the height of my homebrewing days. The second one is a list of all the golems posted on the first thread.

Debihuman
2009-05-29, 01:52 PM
It is looking a lot better. Just a few minor things:

Constructs gain bonus hit points based on size. A medium sized construct has 20 bonus hit points. Hit Dice: 10d10+20 (75 hp)

Also, "Magic Immunity:" should be listed as "Immunity to Magic (Ex):".

Bottle Hands should be listed under Special Attacks rather than Special Qualities.

Construction spells could include geas/quest and open/close, and statue.

Debby

P.S. there is a tooth golem in Dungeon 151.

P.P.S. I've removed the corrected potion bottle golem and will refrain from further posting in this thread.

GreatWyrmGold
2009-05-30, 08:01 PM
Warning! Spoiler may contain sarcasm!
Thanks, Deb. What did they post for the next golem?

Lord Loss
2009-05-31, 09:54 AM
Loose Tooth Golem

A magical golem, Guardian of the Tuthe Faerie, an evil witch obseesed with robbing teeth and leaving accursed jewels in her wake... Just an idea. i'm too busy to make stats for now.

TSED
2009-06-04, 08:47 AM
Stop being obsessive over the actual stat lines, as that's a big chunk of time. Relax.

I would participate but I've got no ideas for a tooth golem.

GreatWyrmGold
2009-06-08, 06:55 PM
Okay, since no one wants to stat out golems, I'll give a format for a "skeleton stat block" that can be turned into a whole stat block if someone has time..

Immunity to Magic: Notes about it.
Special Abilities: Such as cursed wound, breath weapon, berserk...
Differences: How the golem violates certain things most golems have in common (construct type, no subtypes, Large, 2 slams, Int -, etc).

And, as an example:
Tooth Golem
Immunity to Magic: what should it be?
Special Abilities: Tooth Blast (SU): As a full-round action, a tooth golem may fire a burst of teeth that deals 1d6 points of piercing damage per 1d3 points of damage it takes to use this ability to all within 10 ft. By taking an extra 1d6 points of damage, the damage die increases to a d8. For each extra 1d4 points of damage, the range increases by 10 ft.
Differences: Claw attacks

Next material: Pieces of golems! (All sorts of types.)

GreatWyrmGold
2009-06-22, 12:32 PM
:smallfrown:(sniff)This thread died...