PDA

View Full Version : How do you find people?

yilduz
2009-05-26, 07:00 PM
How have you gone about finding people to play D&D with?

Right now I know of four people other than myself that want to play D&D, but we don't yet have a DM (I was volunteered to do it until we find one, but I don't really have fun being DM). I'm looking for ideas. I've gone to the gaming stores here, I've asked around at work, but I don't know what else to do.

Berserk Monk
2009-05-26, 07:04 PM
Ask some other friends and see if they're interested in learning a new game.

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-05-26, 11:10 PM
Gather Information checks. :smallbiggrin:

I've had good luck just tossing a mention of where I am and that I'm LFG in my sig on this site.

You can also see if one of the players wants to DM. Switching off from week to week should reduce the individual burden.

RTGoodman
2009-05-26, 11:28 PM
My first group ever consisted of some friends that came back from college (I was still in high school) and said, "Hey, you guys wanna learn this really cool game?" Basically, our group was found by just grabbing a handful of guys that had nerdy interests and getting together.

In college, I found my favorite group by (1) talking to my fellow long-haired nerdy-looking guy that sat next to me in Northern European Mythology and then (2) having our FLGS get us in touch with another guy who played. My other groups consisted of members of the college's actual gaming club or a mix of folks from both of the above-mentioned groups and some others we recruited along the way.

Basically, don't be afraid to talk to folk, and make some connections at your local gaming store.

As far as not having fun DMing, well... that's just something you'll have to learn to get used to. I think probably 95% of gamers would rather play than DM, but after you've kinda had the position foisted on you enough, you grow to like it enough to maybe even volunteer sometimes! :smallwink:

EDIT: Also, I forgot to mention one thing - it'll take a little bit of work if you're just going to comics/games stores looking for people. I know I've been in the comics store near here (there's not a gaming store) and have talked to people about D&D quite a bit, but a lot of folk aren't as open about just letting strangers in to their groups.

elliott20
2009-05-26, 11:38 PM
game hobby shops, comic book stores, and sometimes I meet people off of online communities.

generally though, in a large enough city there should be some kind of club that can meet that demand.

arguskos
2009-05-26, 11:52 PM
Gather Information checks. :smallbiggrin:

I've had good luck just tossing a mention of where I am and that I'm LFG in my sig on this site.

You can also see if one of the players wants to DM. Switching off from week to week should reduce the individual burden.
You're welcome. :smalltongue:

In truth, ask more people. Picket. Use bribes. Whatever works.

Haven
2009-05-27, 12:26 AM
In addition to all the other advice, I suggest meetup.com.