PDA

View Full Version : Kone of Kobold! (And a domain inspired by it)

GreatWyrmGold
2009-05-26, 07:43 PM
It's amazing what one thinks of when he hears someone mispronounce Cone of Cold.
Especially when he has an overactive imagination.

Cone of Kobolds
Conjuration (summoning) (mis-spelled (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=6193905#post6193905))
Level: Sor/Wiz 6, Kobold 6*
Components: V, S, M/DF
Casting time: 1 standard action
Range: 60 ft
Area: Cone-shaped burst
Duration: Instantaneous/1 round/level; see text
Saving throw: Reflex half
Spell resistance: No

Cone of Kobolds creates several kobolds and sends them flying at your enemy. Everyone in the area takes 1d6 points of bludgeoning damage per caster lever (maximum 20d6). After this damage is resolved, 1 1st-level kobold warrior per level (maximmum 20 kobolds) appear in the spell's area. They last for 1 round/level and obey your commands.

Arcane Material Component: Powdered kobold scales.

Special: When a kobold casts this spell, it deals d8's of damage.

*When a kobold cleric with the Kobold domain gains access to 6th level spells, s/he must choose between Cone of Kobolds and Call Cone of Kobolds.

The Kobold Domain
This was partially inspired by Cone of Cold being a Water domain spell.

Kobold Domain
Deities: Kurtulmak, Tiamat
Granted Power: You gain Craft (trapmaking), Search, Hide, and Profession (miner) to your list of cleric class skills.
Special: You must be a kobold to have this domain.
Kobold Domain Spells:
1-Reduce Person
2-Invisibility
3-Dispel Magic
4-Evard's Black Tentacles
5-Righteous Might
6-Cone of Kobolds*/Call Cone of Kobolds (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=6187312#post6187312)
7-Kobold Glyph of Warding*
8-Polymorph Any Object
9-Greater Cone of Kobolds (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=6266813#post6266813)
*Spell described in this post

Dragon Wings
Transmution
Level: Sor/Wiz 2, Kobold 2
Range: Personal

This spell causes the caster to grow a pair of wings that give him a fly speed of 80 ft (poor). It is otherwise like Fly.

Kobold Glyph of Warning
Abjuration
Level: Kobold 7
Components: V, S
This spell works like Greater Glyph of Warding, except that there is no need for powdered diamond, and you must suceed on a Craft (trapmaking) skill check with a DC of 27.

What do you think about the domain and spells? Especially Cone of Kobolds.

Shades of Gray
2009-05-26, 07:45 PM
There is already a kobold domain, I think, I distinctly recall that they get overpowered "Power Word: X"s. Otherwise, the flight for a level 3 cleric seems a bit much, via the wings, either make it really bad flight or increae the level.s

GreatWyrmGold
2009-05-26, 07:48 PM
Gotcha. Fixed. What do you think about my NEW kobold domain, though?

Shalizar
2009-05-26, 08:27 PM
I like the spell. It is silly, and yet not over powered. Sure 20 kobolds is something, but they are so weak, there is next to no chance any well made character shouldn't have to worry about them.

mr.fizzypop
2009-05-26, 10:06 PM
Funny spell, maybe it could be used to stall an enemy(assuming they don't have great cleave)

mistformsquirrl
2009-05-28, 04:46 AM
... if my Battle Sorcerer ever makes it high enough to cast 6th level spells, I am so begging my DM for this...

>.>

This spell has so many uses... <@_@>

Instantaneous distraction! (You don't actually have to hit the enemy with it; just summon the kobolds and have them take charge off where you want the enemy to go); up to 20 kobolds also might lead an enemy to believe you've brought an army of the little bastards with you. (Well ok, you HAVE in a sense!)

Classic 'nuke' spell: What's more hilarious than hitting 20 kobolds with 20 more kobolds? >.>

Great at parties: As in - shoot them at another adventuring party while you grab the loot! By the time they finish all the little guys you'll be halfway out of the dungeon, especially if you keep tossing more at them <@_@>

Loot haulers: Individually a kobold isn't strong. A bunch of kobolds however...

Divan haulers: Hey, if they can lift a treasure chest, they can haul you're big rump around too <.< Hail to you!

Feeding the *insert horrible evil creature that only eats sentient prey*: It's like kibble for pets so horrible that to speak their names would twist reality in upon itself <@_@>

And I mean sure, you can do these things other ways - but everything is better with kobolds <._.>m

(I'm seriously not kidding, I'm asking my DM for this spell when I get high enough. >.>)

Also, I recommend a level 2 version:

Kobolduken - 1d6 Bludgeoning damage per level, to a maximum of 5d6. Next turn a level 1 kobold warrior is flanking your target.

<._.>

BooNL
2009-05-28, 04:53 AM
What if you use Maximize on this spell? Would you get a Cone of Tucker's Kobolds?

Fishy
2009-05-28, 05:00 AM
Rules question: is Cone of Kobolds a valid target for Persistent Spell? Simultaneously an Instantaneous spell and a spell with rounds/level duration...

ZeroNumerous
2009-05-28, 05:13 AM
What if you use Maximize on this spell? Would you get a Cone of Tucker's Kobolds?

What if you both Maximize and Empower the spell? Would you get a Cone of Tucker's Dragonwrought Kobolds?

Bulwer
2009-05-28, 05:19 AM
Rules question: is Cone of Kobolds a valid target for Persistent Spell? Simultaneously an Instantaneous spell and a spell with rounds/level duration...

I'd say probably, but your kobolds aren't lasting very long anyway.

Lord Loss
2009-05-29, 04:41 PM
What if the Kobolds just stayed there, but, once the duration ends, instead of dissappearing entirely, their attitude changes to neutral or even unfriendly?

Gorgondantess
2009-05-29, 05:03 PM
Well, in all seriousness....
1st of all, I love the flavor, it has so very many uses, but in the end, as a frequent DM in RL at my gaming group (noone else wants to do it, and yet they claim how mean I am...:smallamused:)
I would ban this spell simply on the merits that I do not want to keep track of 11+ kobolds. It would at least triple the duration of every turn. And imagine if a PC casts this several times in a row... I can see the resident sorceror quickening this spell, and in 3 turns setting off 6 of these. At level 16, that's 96 kobolds.:smalleek:

AgentPaper
2009-05-29, 05:49 PM
Instead of creating a ton of kobolds, make it a swarm. That's what swarms are for, anyways.

Innis Cabal
2009-05-29, 05:59 PM
Bold and format a little better, it all sorta blends

But looks good otherwise

Stormthorn
2009-05-29, 09:07 PM
Use 1: Cast into spike pit and alk on kobold bodies.
Use 2: Taunt a dragon into swallowing you and cast it inside him.
Use 3: Cast into the air as a distraction (have you tried dodging fallen lizard-goblins?)
Use 4: Cast while being a vampire and turn them into spawn
Use 5: Intensified Twin this spell to get 80 Kobolds.
Use 6: Enchance bluff check with circumstance modifier "I am the Kobald God! Flee!"
Use 7: Jump and cast at ground behind you to fling yourself up as a pile of flesh suddenly forms below you.
Use 8: As use 1 but with lava pits instead.

cherez
2009-05-29, 09:11 PM
Use 2: Taunt a dragon into swallowing you and cast it inside him.
Use 8: As use 2 but with lava pits instead.

I can honestly say I've never managed to taunt a lava pit into swallowing anyone.

Stormthorn
2009-05-29, 09:23 PM
Oops! As 1!

Well...if it was an animated volcano....

Use number 9 requires some work. Convince your DM to let you do energy substitution on the spell and cast of Kone of Kittens

Lord Loss
2009-05-30, 05:25 AM
WOW. This spell is gold. An evil necromancer need 20 Live Sacrifices for his ritual. Kone of kobold. YAY the summoning of Giant Undead is Complete.

Also, I find there should be a Least ,Greater and Lesser kone of Kobold. For Instance:

Kone of Kobold (Least)

1d4 Kobolds, 1 round/level.

Kone of Kobold (Lesser)

2d10 kobolds 1 round/level.

Kone of Kobolds (Greater)

2d10 + 20 Kobolds. They are permanent.

GreatWyrmGold
2009-05-30, 04:20 PM

Uh...what's a Tucker's Kobold?

GreatWyrmGold
2009-05-30, 04:23 PM

I tried to make it clear that the Instantaneous was just for the blast and the 1 round/level was for the kobolds. If Persistent spell does what I thinkl it does, no, I don't think it makes sense.

Yes, I know I double-posted. I don't know how to do more than one of these per post, and don't need or want to know.

GreatWyrmGold
2009-05-30, 04:25 PM
What if the Kobolds just stayed there, but, once the duration ends, instead of dissappearing entirely, their attitude changes to neutral or even unfriendly?

Nice idea...but it's clearly a (summoning) spell. Maybe I'll make a (calling) version.

Yes, I know I triple-posted. Read above post.

Dagren
2009-05-30, 05:30 PM
Uh...what's a Tucker's Kobold?Tucker's Kobolds (http://www.tuckerskobolds.com/). As for multiple quotes, you just use copy/paste and your browser's back button. At least that's how I do it.

GreatWyrmGold
2009-05-30, 07:15 PM
Tucker's Kobolds (http://www.tuckerskobolds.com/). As for multiple quotes, you just use copy/paste and your browser's back button. At least that's how I do it.

Thanks for both!
Now to work on resisting the urge to reply every time I see something I want to reply to.

GreatWyrmGold
2009-05-30, 07:44 PM
Use 1: Cast into spike pit and walk on kobold bodies.
Fixed spelling

Use 4: Cast while being a vampire and turn them into spawn
For 1 round/level, then they're gone.

Use 6: Enchance bluff check with circumstance modifier "I am the Kobold God! Flee!"
:biggrin:Also, I fixed spelling.

Clever, all around!

Some more kobold spells:
Throw Kobold
Conjuration (summoning)
Level: Sor/Wiz 0
Components: V, S
Range: Close (25 ft +5 ft/2 levels)
Effect: 1 kobold
Duration: Instantaneous/1 round/level; see text
Saving throw: None

This spell summons a kobold and THWAKS it against your enemy. If the attack hits, the enemy takes 1d3 points of bludgeoning damage.
Afterwards, the kobold stays and follows your commands for 1 round/level. The kobold takes 1d2 points of bludgeoning damage from the impact.
Special: When a kobold casts this spell, the kobold summoned takes no damage.

Call Cone of Kobolds
Conjuration (calling) (mis-spelled (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=6193905#post6193905))
Level: Sor/Wiz 6, Kobold 6*
Components: V, S, M/DF
Range: 60 ft
Area: Cone-shaped burst
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving throw: Reflex half

Call Cone of Kobolds creates several kobolds and sends them flying at your enemy. Everyone in the area takes 1d4 points of bludgeoning damage per caster lever, +1 per 2 caster levels (maximum 20d4+10). After this damage is resolved, 1 1st-level kobold warrior per level (maximmum 20 kobolds) appear in the spell's area. They permanently and obey your commands for 1 round/level. After that time, they become hostile to you.
Arcane Material Component: Powdered kobold scales.
Special: When a kobold casts this spell, the kobolds are just unfriendly after the 1 round/level passes.
*When a kobold cleric with the Kobold domain gains access to 6th level spells, s/he must choose between Cone of Kobolds and Call Cone of Kobolds.

Kobold Form
Transmution (polymorph)
Level: Sor/Wiz 0, Drd 0
Components: V, S, M
Range: Personal
Target: You
Duration: 1d4 hours/level

Kobold Form transforms you into the form of a kobold! Your Strength is 6, your Dexterity is 12, and your Constitution is 8. You are Small; all of your gear reshapes to your current form (if your shape is a humanoid one). You lose all physical racial traits and gain darkvision 60 ft and light sensitivity like a kobold's.
Material component: Kobold scales

Who wants to comment on the new spells?

Lord Loss
2009-05-30, 08:02 PM
Kobold form is cool, but...

DO NOTTT POOOT EEEEET EEEEN ZEEEE KOBBBOD DOMANEEEEE. Why? Because Kobolds will have the domain, and so it will be utterly useless. As an added bonus, make it so it can be made permanent (with the spell) so that YOUR FOES WILL BE TRAPPED AT AS KOBOLDS HAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHA!

GreatWyrmGold
2009-05-31, 07:01 AM
Kobold form is cool, but...

DO NOTTT POOOT EEEEET EEEEN ZEEEE KOBBBOD DOMANEEEEE. Why? Because Kobolds will have the domain, and so it will be utterly useless. As an added bonus, make it so it can be made permanent (with the spell) so that YOUR FOES WILL BE TRAPPED AT AS KOBOLDS HAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHA!

Domains don't have 0-level spells. And Kobold form only affects YOU.
However...

Baleful Kobold Form
Transmution (polymorph)
Level: Sor/Wiz 2, Drd 3
Components: V, S, M
Range: Close (25 ft +5 ft/2 levels)
Target: One creature
Duration: 1d4 hours/level
Saving throw: Fort negates (see text)
SR: Yes (against transformation only)

Kobold Form transforms the target into the form of a kobold! his Strength is 6, her Dexterity is 12, and hir Constitution is 8. The target is Small; all of it's gear reshapes to the kobold form (if the target's shape is a humanoid one). The target loses all physical racial traits and gain darkvision 60 ft and light sensitivity like a kobold's.
The target makes a Fort save to ignore the spell. In addition, a Will save (DC 15) is needed for an unwilling target that fails its saving throw to avoid moping around for 1d4X5 round or until attacked.
Material component: Kobold scales
Special: When a kobold casts this spell, the DC for both the Fort and Will saves goes up by 1.

Lord Loss
2009-05-31, 08:26 AM
It's overpowered in some circumstances for a 0 level spell (kobold Form, not the Baleful One). Imagine this the 3rd Level PCs are running around trying to find some way to infiltrate the Kobold base. This plot has lasted three sessions and tthey are getting desperate they must quest to Find some master Infiltator. And Then They can- Level Up! new Spell!! Koblod Form! No problem! you should make it at least a Level One Spell? or Two?

Set
2009-05-31, 09:28 AM
It's amazing what one thinks of when he hears someone mispronounce Cone of Cold.

This needs to be a new game. One letter-off spell variants.

Cone of Gold. Burning Sands. Mage Ardor. Animate Dope. Alter Elf. False Wife.

Or just sound-alike spell variants.

Frightening Bolt. Tragic Missile.

Dagren
2009-05-31, 05:47 PM
This needs to be a new game. One letter-off spell variants.

Cone of Gold. Burning Sands. Mage Ardor. Animate Dope. Alter Elf. False Wife.

Or just sound-alike spell variants.

Frightening Bolt. Tragic Missile.Fun, isn't it? (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/Incentives.html)

TSED
2009-05-31, 05:57 PM
I hate to say it, but...

Your kobold domain doesn't feel very koboldy. It feels more powergamer-using-a-kobold-to-powergame-y, with the PAO and such.

GreatWyrmGold
2009-05-31, 08:22 PM
I hate to say it, but...

Your kobold domain doesn't feel very koboldy. It feels more powergamer-using-a-kobold-to-powergame-y, with the PAO and such.

The kobold domain was put together using spells a kobold might use for kobold-ey things (stealth) or mitigating disadvantages (size).

Edit: Awesome! New page!

Edit: Also, this inspired (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=113118) someone! Yay!

TSED
2009-05-31, 09:09 PM
No, see, what it should be doing is playing up Kobold advantages!

Summon Trap (or whatever it was) was the koboldiest spell EVAR. Instead, you get Enlarge Person, which basically says "I don't want to be a kobold any more." If anything, I'd think it should be Reduce Person! Imagine kobolds squeezing through holes MICE do! That should inspire whole new levels of terror. (Seriously, tiny size + slight frame = your halfling rogue can't even stick his hand in the hole the kobolds just crawled into)

Dragon Wings, ehh, not inspired but pretty draconic. I guess it'll do. I'd use the ones in Dragon Magic though.

Dispel magic? Once again, not terribly inspired.

Divine Power? DIVINE POWER? You're getting into the realm of spells-that-can-totally-screw-unsuspecting-adventurers-over and you go with that? Seriously? My first choice would be Evard's Black Tentacles. When the room starts filling with water and they find they cant climb the ladder because they've been dragged screaming down by a writhing black mass that emerged from the water... Horror story right there. Or what about Baleful Polymorph? These Godly adventurers SOMEHOW got through all these traps, survived all these terrible encounters, and are about to get some grade A mace-vs-face gameplay going on. And you respond by turning them into a newt and bash their head in with a mace. Kobolds just DON'T fight fair, and this domain is trying to make them do that. Why?

Righteous Might? Kobolds? I can't even put the two concepts together in my head.

Cone of Kobolds works fine. (Oh btw I do like the spell, sorry I didn't compliment you on that one.)
Kobold Glyph of Warding is... alright.

Polymorph Any Object is just abusive. It's not thematic, since at that point you can do all sorts of nasty things like turn their codpiece into a Vorpal Codpiece +5 and then kick them in the crotch from 120' away, and all it really does is have a kobold go "I'm a dwagon! Fo' realz, yo!"

Dragonshape, once again uninspired but thematic. Ok.

I think the biggest grief here is that you're embracing the 'humanoid minidragon' aspect fully and I am embracing the 'cunning sneaking plotting cruel backstabbing unfair-fighting doomsmith' angle of Tucker's Kobolds.

GreatWyrmGold
2009-06-01, 05:19 PM
No, see, what it should be doing is playing up Kobold advantages!

Summon Trap (or whatever it was) was the koboldiest spell EVAR. Instead, you get Enlarge Person, which basically says "I don't want to be a kobold any more." If anything, I'd think it should be Reduce Person! Imagine kobolds squeezing through holes MICE do! That should inspire whole new levels of terror. (Seriously, tiny size + slight frame = your halfling rogue can't even stick his hand in the hole the kobolds just crawled into)

Dragon Wings, ehh, not inspired but pretty draconic. I guess it'll do. I'd use the ones in Dragon Magic though.

Dispel magic? Once again, not terribly inspired.

Divine Power? DIVINE POWER? You're getting into the realm of spells-that-can-totally-screw-unsuspecting-adventurers-over and you go with that? Seriously? My first choice would be Evard's Black Tentacles. When the room starts filling with water and they find they cant climb the ladder because they've been dragged screaming down by a writhing black mass that emerged from the water... Horror story right there. Or what about Baleful Polymorph? These Godly adventurers SOMEHOW got through all these traps, survived all these terrible encounters, and are about to get some grade A mace-vs-face gameplay going on. And you respond by turning them into a newt and bash their head in with a mace. Kobolds just DON'T fight fair, and this domain is trying to make them do that. Why?

Righteous Might? Kobolds? I can't even put the two concepts together in my head.

Cone of Kobolds works fine. (Oh btw I do like the spell, sorry I didn't compliment you on that one.)
Kobold Glyph of Warding is... alright.

Polymorph Any Object is just abusive. It's not thematic, since at that point you can do all sorts of nasty things like turn their codpiece into a Vorpal Codpiece +5 and then kick them in the crotch from 120' away, and all it really does is have a kobold go "I'm a dwagon! Fo' realz, yo!"

Dragonshape, once again uninspired but thematic. Ok.

I think the biggest grief here is that you're embracing the 'humanoid minidragon' aspect fully and I am embracing the 'cunning sneaking plotting cruel backstabbing unfair-fighting doomsmith' angle of Tucker's Kobolds.

Like I said, I tried finding spells that would help negate their opponents advantages. This seems kobold-ey to me. And Kobold Glyph of Warding seemed very kobold-ey (even by your standards. Magic trap?). Finally, I meant to change dragon wings to invisibility. I have now.

It's overpowered in some circumstances for a 0 level spell (kobold Form, not the Baleful One). Imagine this the 3rd Level PCs are running around trying to find some way to infiltrate the Kobold base. This plot has lasted three sessions and tthey are getting desperate they must quest to Find some master Infiltator. And Then They can- Level Up! new Spell!! Koblod Form! No problem! you should make it at least a Level One Spell? or Two?

Yes, it has uses. It is usually not-so-good. You'd probably reduce Strength and Constitution, and maybe Dexterity, too. Overall, it dosn't seem so bad to me. Isn't Alter Self 1st-level? Kobold Form is a restricted version, I belive.

Dagren
2009-06-01, 05:38 PM
Yes, it has uses. It is usually not-so-good. You'd probably reduce Strength and Constitution, and maybe Dexterity, too. Overall, it dosn't seem so bad to me. Isn't Alter Self 1st-level? Kobold Form is a restricted version, I belive.No, Disguise Self is 1st level. Alter Self is a level 2 spell.

GreatWyrmGold
2009-06-01, 06:45 PM
No, Disguise Self is 1st level. Alter Self is a level 2 spell.

My bad. Stilll, a kobold is about as weak as you get. The only use is infiltration of a society you could probably slay single-handedly if you're a human fighter of any level (Power Attack/Cleave/Great Cleave), while Alter Self can give you flight (raptorans), ability adjustments, etc.

Dagren
2009-06-01, 07:09 PM
My bad. Stilll, a kobold is about as weak as you get. The only use is infiltration of a society you could probably slay single-handedly if you're a human fighter of any level (Power Attack/Cleave/Great Cleave), while Alter Self can give you flight (raptorans), ability adjustments, etc.It's not really a big deal, if you're talking about infiltration then an illusion would do most of the time anyway. Of course Disguise Self wouldn't work on kobolds, only your own race, so who knows? How likely is trying to infiltrate a kobold lair going to be anyway, especially at level one?

Stormthorn
2009-06-01, 10:25 PM
Fixed spelling

For 1 round/level, then they're gone.

:biggrin:Also, I fixed spelling.

Clever, all around!

Thanks, but you can just leave my words misspelled if you want.

Too powerful. You could build an army very fast that way.

GreatWyrmGold
2009-06-11, 06:53 AM
I find there should be a Least ,Greater and Lesser kone of Kobold. For Instance:

Too powerful. You could build an army very fast that way.

Well, if it was high enough level...

Cone of Kobolds, Greater
Conjuration (calling) (mis-spelled (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=6193905#post6193905))
Level: Sor/Wis 9, Kobold 9
Casting time: 1 round
Duration: Instantaneuos

This spell functions as Cone of Kobolds, except as noted. The damage is 1d8 points of bludgeoning damage per level (maximun 30d8), and the kobolds get a charge attack (no save). The spell calls 1d4 1st-level kobold warriors per level (maximum 30d4); they serve you for 1 month/caster level or until they die. The kobolds are likely to interpret commands in the worst possible way unless the caster is a kobold or dragon, unless the caster makes sacrifices for them or gives great punishments to the disobayers.

Arcane Material Component: Kobold scales and a tiny spear.

Special: If a kobold casts this spell, the kobolds stay for 1d3 months/caster level.

lord of kobolds
2009-06-20, 08:49 PM
Yes!!!!

Spells For Lok!

GreatWyrmGold
2009-06-22, 12:38 PM
Yes!!!!

Spells For Lok!

Spells for...oh.

Edit: Reread thread, took TSED's suggestions for specific replacements (mostly).