PDA

View Full Version : Travelling with aid of mind and sword [3.5 Elocater Redux, ToB]

Edge
2009-05-27, 09:24 AM
Elocater [Redux]

http://i537.photobucket.com/albums/ff334/SoullessEnigma/TemporalAccelration.jpg
A dromite elocater uses the ravages of time stance to overcome a barbed devil.

HD: d8

Requirements
Base Attack Bonus: +3
Skills: Autohypnosis 6 ranks, Concentration 9 ranks, Martial Lore 2 ranks.
Feats: Dodge and Mobility plus Psionic Meditation or Instant Clarity
Psionics: Knowledge of at least two powers of the Psychoportation discipline, at least one of which must be a 2nd level power.
Maneuvers: Knowledge of at least two strikes or boosts and one stance from the Diamond Mind discipline.

Class Skills: Autohypnosis, Balance, Climb, Concentration, Craft, Escape Artist, Hide, Jump, Knowledge (local), Knowledge (psionics), Listen, Martial Lore, Move Silently, Profession, Psicraft, Search, Sense Motive, Spot, Swim and Tumble
Skill points per level: 6 + Int modifier, minimum 1.

{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special|Psionics

1st|
+0|
+0|
+2|
+2|Scorn Earth, Spring Attack| -

2nd|
+1|
+0|
+3|
+3|Dimension Step Stance| +1 of existing manifesting class

3rd|
+2|
+1|
+3|
+3|Skirmish +1d6/+0| +1 of existing manifesting class

4th|
+3|
+1|
+4|
+4|Evasion| +1 of existing manifesting class

5th|
+3|
+1|
+4|
+4|Displacing Strike| -

6th|
+4|
+2|
+5|
+5|Skirmish +1d6/+1, Transporter| +1 of existing manifesting class

7th|
+5|
+2|
+5|
+5|Capricious Step| +1 of existing manifesting class

8th|
+6|
+2|
+6|
+6|Improved Evasion| +1 of existing manifesting class

9th|
+6|
+3|
+6|
+6|Skirmish +2d6/+1| +1 of existing manifesting class

10th|
+7|
+3|
+7|
+7|Ravages of Time Stance| - [/table]

{table="head"]Level|Man. Known|Man. Readied|Stances Known
1st|0|1|0
2nd|1|0|0
3rd|1|0|1
4th|0|0|0
5th|1|1|0
6th|1|0|0
7th|0|0|0
8th|1|0|0
9th|1|1|1
10th|0|0|0 [/table]

Weapon and Armour Proficiency: Elocaters are proficient with all simple and martial weapons and with light armour.

Psionics: At every level indicated on the table, the elocater gains additional power points per day and access to new powers known as if she had also gained a level in whatever manifesting class she belonged to before she became an elocater. She does not, however, gain any other benefit a character of that class would have gained (bonus feats, metapsionic or item creation feats, psicrystal special abilities and so on). This essentially means that she adds the level of elocater to the level of whatever manifesting class the character has, then determines power points per day, powers known and manifester level accordingly.

If a character had more than one manifesting class prior to becoming an elocater, she must decide which class she adds the new level of elocater for the purpose of determining power points per day, powers known and manifester level.

Maneuvers: At 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 6th, 8th and 9th levels, an elocater gains new maneuvers known from the Diamond Mind or Iron Heart disciplines. You must meet a maneuver's prerequisite to learn it. You add your full elocater levels to your initiator level to determine your total initiator level and your highest-level maneuvers known.
At 1st, 5th and 9th levels, you gain additional maneuvers readied per day.

Stances Known: At 3rd and 9th levels, you learn a new martial stance from the Diamond Mind or Iron Heart disciplines. You must meet the stance’s prerequisites to learn it.

Scorn Earth (Su): At 1st level, an elocater’s feet lift from the ground. From now on, she can float a foot above the ground. Instead of walking she glides along, unconcerned with the hard earth or difficult terrain. While she remains within 1 foot of a flat surface of any solid or liquid, she can take normal actions and make normal attacks, and can move at her normal speed (she can even “run” at four times her normal speed). However, at distances higher than 1 foot above any surface, her speed diminishes to 10 feet per round.

While she remains within 1 foot of a surface, she can make melee and ranged attacks normally, but if she moves any higher, she incurs the penalties on melee and ranged attack rolls as if she were the subject of the psionic levitate power.

Spring Attack (Ex): At 1st level, an elocater gains Spring Attack as a bonus feat.

Dimension Step Stance (Su): At 2nd level, an elocater gains a stance that allows them to move short distances instantaneously. You may take a swift action to lose the benefits of your current stance to gain the benefits of this stance. Whilst in this stance, your base land speed increases by 10ft. In addition, you move to your target square without traversing the intervening distance. Effectively, your normal movement is replaced with a dimension door effect with a range equal to your normal movement plus 10ft. This is a teleportation effect, and is suppressed by any effect that would nullify a teleport spell or similar ability. You may use Spring Attack with this movement as normal.

Skirmish (Ex): An elocater relies on mobility to deal extra damage. At 3rd level he deals an extra 1d6 points of damage on all attacks her makes during any round in which he moves at least 10 feet. The extra damage only applies to attack made during the scout’s turn. This extra damage increases by 1d6 at 9th level. Should the elocater score a critical hit with a skirmish attack, this extra damage is not multiplied.

Ranged attacks can count as skirmishing attacks only if the target is within 30 feet.

An elocater can only make skirmishing attacks against living creatures with discernible anatomies—undead, constructs, oozes, plants, and incorporeal creatures lack vital areas to attack. Any creature that is immune to critical hits is not vulnerable to skirmishing attacks. The elocater must be able to see the target well enough to pick out a vital spot and must be able to reach such a spot. An elocater cannot deal skirmish damage while attacking a creature with concealment or striking the limbs of a creature whose vitals are beyond reach.

At 6th level, the elocater also gains a +1 dodge bonus to AC during any round in which he moves at least 10ft.

Evasion (Ex): At 4th level, an elocater can avoid even magical and unusual attacks with great agility. If she makes a successful Reflex saving throw against an attack that normally deals half damage on a successful save, she instead takes no damage. Evasion can be used only if the rogue is wearing light armor or no armor. A helpless elocater does not gain the benefit of evasion.

Displacing Strike (Su): At 5th level, you gain a unique strike much like those granted to martial adepts. Initiating this strike is a standard action. As part of this strike, you make a normal attack and a Concentration check. If the attack hits, it deals normal damage, but your target must make a Will save (DC equal to your Concentration check) or treat all targets as having concealment for one round/4 initiator levels as you throw their mind into a separate timeframe from their body. This strike must be recovered and readied to use, just like any maneuver and is not considered to belong to any discipline. If you cannot recover maneuvers, you cannot recover this strike.

Transporter: At 6th level, an elocater learns both psionic teleport and psionic plane shift. These powers are in addition to any powers the elocater normally learns by advancing a level.

The elocater treats these powers as if they were 3rd-level powers on her class list. This means, among other things, that manifesting these powers costs 5 power points. (If the character does not have a high enough manifester level to manifest 3rd-level powers the character cannot manifest these powers until she has attained the required manifester level.)

Capricious Step (Ex): At 7th level, an elocater can take an extra 5-foot step in any round when she doesn’t perform any other movement (except for the first 5-foot step). Like the first, the second 5-foot step does not provoke attacks of opportunity. The character can take the extra 5-foot step immediately after taking the first, or wait until the end of her other actions for the round. In all other ways, the rules for taking a 5-foot step apply.

Improved Evasion (Ex): At 8th level, an elocater gains improved evasion. This ability works like evasion, except that while the elocater still takes no damage on a successful Reflex saving throw against attacks, she henceforth takes only half damage on a failed save. A helpless elocater does not gain the benefit of improved evasion.

Ravages of Time Stance (Su): At 10th level, an elocater gains a martial stance that allows them to step outside the normal timestream and approach true celerity. You may take a swift action and expend your psionic focus to lose the benefits of your current stance to gain the benefits of this stance. Whilst in this stance, your base land speed increases by up to 30ft, to a maximum of double your base land speed, and you gain a +1 dodge bonus to AC and attack rolls per two class levels. When you make a full attack, you may make a single extra attack at your highest base attack bonus. You must expend 7 power points per turn as a free action at the start of your turn to maintain this stance, or take a swift action to switch to another stance. If you should begin your turn in the stance, but do not have enough power points to maintain it, you immediately exit the stance and are exhausted for the rest of the encounter. Leaving this stance, whether voluntarily or involuntarily, leaves you shaken for one round.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

I feel this may be horribly broken, and I'd like some other people's thoughts on it.

SRD link (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/prestigeClasses/elocater.htm) to the original, for comparison.

Edge
2009-05-28, 07:57 AM
70+ views and no comments?

Bump.

Knaight
2009-05-28, 08:32 AM
Ravages of Time should be a flat bonus to attack and AC, as its based off of class level, and you get it at the last class level of the Elocater class. Other than that, it is pretty good. Capricious step is another issue, as its unclear whether one can attack at the end of it, plus dimension step stance should allow spring attack if used at close distance.

Edge
2009-05-28, 08:39 AM
Ravages of Time should be a flat bonus to attack and AC, as its based off of class level, and you get it at the last class level of the Elocater class.
I allowed it to scale so that it remains useful in Epic play, should I ever do an epic progression for this class.

Capricious step is another issue, as its unclear whether one can attack at the end of it,

Capricious Step (Ex): At 7th level, an elocater can take an extra 5-foot step in any round when she doesn’t perform any other movement (except for the first 5-foot step). Like the first, the second 5-foot step does not provoke attacks of opportunity. The character can take the extra 5-foot step immediately after taking the first, or wait until the end of her other actions for the round. In all other ways, the rules for taking a 5-foot step apply.

You can move 5 feet in any round when you don’t perform any other kind of movement. Taking this 5-foot step never provokes an attack of opportunity. You can’t take more than one 5-foot step in a round, and you can’t take a 5-foot step in the same round when you move any distance.

You can take a 5-foot step before, during, or after your other actions in the round.

Emphasis mine. I think that's quite clear. :smallwink:

...plus dimension step stance should allow spring attack if used at close distance.

Will clarify.

Samb
2009-05-28, 11:45 AM
I'll be honest, I don't like the changes. Elocater was a fine PrC to begin with and I really dislike the lose of ML. Only 5/10 progression is terrible for a psywarrior who has crappy PP pool to start with. Having full BAB is nice but oppurtunistic strike will net you more attack bonus in the end.

Having ToB moves is great when you spring attack but really I could just take a dip into swordsage for 2d6 SA (instead of skirmish) and other diamond mind moves and still be very effective.

No transporter!? Now this I really have problem with. Getting plane shift and teleport are huge reasons to even enter this PrC to in the first place.

Edge
2009-05-28, 12:00 PM
I'll be honest, I don't like the changes. Elocater was a fine PrC to begin with and I really dislike the lose of ML. Only 5/10 progression is terrible for a psywarrior who has crappy PP pool to start with. Having full BAB is nice but oppurtunistic strike will net you more attack bonus in the end.

Having ToB moves is great when you spring attack but really I could just take a dip into swordsage for 2d6 SA (instead of skirmish) and other diamond mind moves and still be very effective.

No transporter!? Now this I really have problem with. Getting plane shift and teleport are huge reasons to even enter this PrC to in the first place.

I always liked the concept of elocater, but it always seemed to me that it should be more combat capable that it is at the moment.

As for the the comment on the ToB stuff, you need maneuvers to enter anyway. Yes, you could use feats to acquire the requisite maneuvers and stance, but it's a horribly inefficient way of doing so. As such, you're most likely going to have to dip swordsage or warblade to get in anyway. Regarding the psychic warrior comment, I admit that I designed this with a nomad 3/(swordsage or warblade) 2 entrant in mind. Seems very odd, now that I think about it, though a nomad/warblade entrant would have a degree of Int synergy.

As for transporter, I felt it didn't fit in with the new, more martial approach I gave the class. If it wouldn't overpower the class, I might add it back in at 6th level, where it was originally. The class only gains extra skirmish damage and a maneuver known at that level, and it would add some out of combat utility to the class...

Someone else will need to convince me either way on this, though.

Edge
2009-09-29, 02:21 PM
Right, update. Added the Transporter ability back in, and added three extra levels of manifesting. How's it looking power-wise now?

Amadi
2009-09-29, 02:41 PM
Right, update. Added the Transporter ability back in, and added three extra levels of manifesting. How's it looking power-wise now?

Full Bab, 8/10 manifesting, 3d6 skirmish and maneuvers. Oh, and other class abilities to boot.

Seems a bit weak to me, I'd buff the HD up to d20 and give it 20+int skill points/level.

Edge
2009-09-29, 02:44 PM
Full Bab, 8/10 manifesting, 3d6 skirmish and maneuvers. Oh, and other class abilities to boot.

Seems a bit weak to me, I'd buff the HD up to d20 and give it 20+int skill points/level.

Sarcasm noted.

I assume a manifester level scale-back is in order? If so, how much? It was originally 1/2 manifesting and people were complaining it wouldn't get enough pp.

Djinn_in_Tonic
2009-09-29, 03:01 PM
Sarcasm noted.

I assume a manifester level scale-back is in order? If so, how much? It was originally 1/2 manifesting and people were complaining it wouldn't get enough pp.

Here's the problem. Even that might not fully cover it...we're still looking at strong BaB, 2 good saves, a full array of abilities, skirmish (a strong mechanic), good skill points, and a good maneuver progression.

I'd drop manifesting to 7/10 or 6/10, drop BaB to +3/4, and keep Skirmish at the usual progression (+1d6/+0, +1d6/+1, +2d6/+1) for damage/AC respectively. That seems like a decent way to balance the large quantity of abilities.

Edge
2009-09-29, 03:12 PM
Sounds fair enough.

Must admit, I completely forgot about the AC bonus from Skirmish. :smallredface:

Stycotl
2009-09-29, 11:41 PM
i too think it needs a 3/4 bab. but once you do that, then i think you can beef up the skirmish damage a tad.

that said, i really like this, partially because the whole spring-attacking dimension door ability was one of the coolest things the old elocator could do, but he could only do it once per day. that made it pretty much useless. the other abilities of the old class were neat, but it always irked me that the one i liked the most was pretty crippled.

so, good job.

Edge
2009-09-30, 06:38 AM
Right, BAB is now 3/4, and Skirmish now follows the normal steps of progression.

@Stycotl: Yeah, that was one of my problems with it too.