PDA

View Full Version : Animal classes? Thats an idea....

Stormthorn
2009-05-27, 10:20 AM
Ok, so i had an idea. First we give animals 8 points to spend increasing their ability scores, with no score being raisable over 10 (it can go up to 10 tho) if it was under 10, and no score going over 14 at all unless they start over 14, in which case they cant be raised with these points. This can make them smart enough or strong enough to have their class.

Then we give the animals classes.

I was thinking a modified (weaker) version of the Rogue (D2 HD) , Barbarian (D6 HD), Ranger (D4), Sorcerer (D2) and Druid (D4) could be used for animals.
*Classes only go up to level 10.
*Sneak attack HD would be d4
*Spells for the Druid would progress off the druid list but at the rate and in the number a Bard learns theirs. (bard spell progression, druid spell list)
*Animal companions must be the same type as the base animal.
*Rangers have two new combat styles that give them Power Attack, Improved Critical and then Multiattack, Improved Multiattack. If an animal already has one of these four feats then that gets replaced by either Improved Natural Armor or Improved Natural Attack (animals choice).

What do you think? How do you think this would effect the animals CR?

Obrysii
2009-05-27, 10:30 AM
Why not just use savage progressions and say that they have 3d6 int instead?

Stormthorn
2009-05-27, 11:00 AM
Why not just use savage progressions and say that they have 3d6 int instead?

Cuz i dont own Savage.

I own some Forgotten Realms and the SRD. So anyhting not in those i have to make myself.

Baron Corm
2009-05-27, 02:37 PM
Why not just use regular classes, but not that many levels?

AzazelSephiroth
2009-05-27, 08:28 PM
The idea seems solid. I have only one question and I don't mean to be rude at all... so please no anger. But why? Do you want to play as an animal? Or give animal companions more power? I have always used the awaken druid spell and then allowed, through role playing and time spent on the player's part, the animal to take some basic classes or special abilities.

TSED
2009-05-27, 09:40 PM
If you're going to make classes for animals, why not make from-scratch classes that play to their strengths?

Babale
2009-05-27, 11:44 PM
I think that if you do something like this, every type of animal should have a unique class. For example, a monkey might have a class that is like a monk, only it gets sneak attacks and losses... Well, something else. Play on the flavor of the animals!

Stormthorn
2009-05-28, 12:32 AM
If you're going to make classes for animals, why not make from-scratch classes that play to their strengths?

This post, and the post below it, poses an interesting idea. But one that is waaay unreasonable. Their are dozens of animals in the SRD alone. And if i want ine of my bears to be a combat bear and one to have nature magic then i have to double up.

The idea seems solid. I have only one question and I don't mean to be rude at all... so please no anger. But why? Do you want to play as an animal? Or give animal companions more power? I have always used the awaken druid spell and then allowed, through role playing and time spent on the player's part, the animal to take some basic classes or special abilities.

The idea was for the party to encounter and deal with a society of Destined Cats that where smarter than average and had levels in these classes.

Why not just use regular classes, but not that many levels?

Because for most animals two or three class levels would equal a massive increase in power. By limiting the hitpoints and abilites then the animals advance more slowly (think NPC classes).