PDA

View Full Version : Terminator 4 (salvation) is coming (dun dun, dun dun dun)

Shanty Man
2009-05-27, 03:50 PM
THE (dun dun, dun dun dun)
END (dun dun, dun dun dun)
BEGINS (dun dun, dun dun dun)

I am looking falward to it sooooo much!
What about you?

Trailers here
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_type=&search_query=terminator+salvation&aq=0&oq=ter
p.s dose anyone know the actual date that it's coming out

p.p.s DUN DUN, DUN DUN DUN!

Nameless
2009-05-27, 03:53 PM
I’ve been looking forward for a “war” Terminator movie since the I watched the first Terminator. But to be honest, this looks like it’s gonna epic fail. :smallannoyed:

Mauve Shirt
2009-05-27, 04:01 PM
If I understand the trailer correctly, John Conner is surprised by the creation of terminators.
This is impossible.
John would not exist if he didn't know about the terminators. He would not have been born if it weren't for the terminators. He sent Kyle back not only to protect his mother, but to impregnate her, so he knew what he was doing. He would have been killed by them in movie two if Sara hadn't informed him, so he knows what they are.
There is no "original" John Connor, who didn't know about the terminators and ended up leading the resistance by accident. The "original" John Connor doesn't exist because without the terminators he really wouldn't exist.

I'm still looking forward to the movie, though I reeeeally hope I'm wrong about that trailer. :smalltongue:

Canadian
2009-05-27, 04:11 PM
Looks like it's going to suck.

I might have a Christian Bale style freak out and ask for my money back at the box office.

Tyrant
2009-05-27, 04:14 PM
If I understand the trailer correctly, John Conner is surprised by the creation of terminators.
This is impossible.
John would not exist if he didn't know about the terminators. He would not have been born if it weren't for the terminators. He sent Kyle back not only to protect his mother, but to impregnate her, so he knew what he was doing. He would have been killed by them in movie two if Sara hadn't informed him, so he knows what they are.
There is no "original" John Connor, who didn't know about the terminators and ended up leading the resistance by accident. The "original" John Connor doesn't exist because without the terminators he really wouldn't exist.

I'm still looking forward to the movie, though I reeeeally hope I'm wrong about that trailer. :smalltongue:
Good news, you're wrong about the trailer.
Answers if you want them:He is suprised by Marcus. Marcus has a machine body but an actual human brain so he believes he is human until he sees his mechanical insides. The other thing surpising John is that this is 2018, Skynet shouldn't have the T800s until a lot closer to 2029 and they have them by the end of this movie. He knows all about the Terminators and has already warned the resistance about the T800s (and presumably others) and told them what is to come

Also, your time travel ideal can't work in the Terminator timeline. T2 changed the future. So did T1, but that's not the point. By T3, Judgement Day now happens on a different date (7 years down the road). The odds of Kyle being sent back at the exact same moment in his life as he was sent back in T1 are astronomical. After each movie, Skynet is more advanced in the future. The future is constantly changing and Skynet's initial start point becomes more and more advanced each time someone goes back.

You can't look at these movies with the Back to the Future time travel rules in mind otherwise John would blink out of existance as soon as everything gets thrown into the molten metal at the end of T2. You have to take a different view. The best I have come up with (and I assume there are holes in this that I am not seeing) is that once something goes back, even it changes time, it still remains. Even if it changes time in such a way that it won't exist when time advances to the point it went back, it will still exist. Under this idea, John could shoot Kyle in the future and still exist because there is no need to send the Kyle in his future back because the Kyle from the original future already went back. It also means there is no reason for Skynet to even develop a time machine because it's existance isn't dependant upon sending it's technology back in time. The other implication is that there is no guarantee humans will beat the machines. Otherwise everything should have been destroyed in a paradox at the end of T2.

Edit:
For those who haven't seen it, it doesn't suck. Mild spoilers:It isn't the future war we see in the other movies, but there are good reasons for that. The major reason being all the glimpses of the future are looking at 2029 and this movie takes place in 2018. There are one or two moments where you can guess something got cut to hit the PG 13 rating (but it doesn't ruin the movie). Most of the Terminators are animatronic, so they look real. The ones that are CGI are honestly hit and miss. The final antagonist is a suprise if you haven't followed the movie at all. The action scenes are good. Character development (with one exception) is on the weak side. We get to actually see Skynet converse with someone. It was nice to see Skynet has things beyond Terminators and HKs. I thought it was better than T3, but it is not T1 or T2. A better director (and writers) and possibly an R rating could make T5 and T6 (which are supposedly in the works) great movies.

Starscream
2009-05-27, 05:26 PM
I saw it. Meh.

Well, maybe not 'Meh'. It's a decent action flick. Good effects and all. But it has what I believe TvTropes refers to as an Idiot Plot. Skynet in particular is portrayed as having a brain the size of a garbanzo bean.

The entire plot of the film is an attempt by Skynet to lure Connor to it, but when it finally succeeds in getting him there, it has chosen as its guard one terminator. Without a weapon. Or clothes.

Skynet also succeeded in capturing Kyle Reese. It is fully aware that Reese is going to become Connor's father. It leaves him alive.

Terminators are immune to handgun bullets. The humans know this. They all carry handguns and look shocked when they don't work.

Terminators suck. In the previous films they were portrayed as deadly killing machines. Even if you argue that those are later models, these ones are lame. They fight by just shoving people a lot. It doesn't work very well.

If you can get past all that (I've seen lists that have much more, but I'm too lazy to look them up) then you can enjoy it in a mindless action flick way.

I might even go so far to say that I like this one better than Terminator 3, but that's not saying much because I loathe that movie. The first two were brilliant and I think this franchise deserves better.

I dunno...B-?

Muz
2009-05-27, 05:53 PM
I keep hearing bad reviews about it (or so-so reviews, but the majority I've come across are less encouraging than that), so my anticipation has dropped from seeing it immediately to maybe renting it on DVD but being almost afraid to.

And I LIKED T3. :smallwink:

Anyone seen the "Transforminators (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcaNZ4iHSMw)" fake-trailer? "And worst of all...they're eating all of our sand." :smallbiggrin:

RTGoodman
2009-05-27, 06:27 PM
I saw it. Meh.

Well, maybe not 'Meh'. It's a decent action flick.
[...]
I dunno...B-?

That's pretty much how I feel about it. I saw the first two when I was younger (so, probably in the mid '90s or thereabouts, I guess) and never saw T3, so I'm definitely not up on the canon or anything, but I thought T4 was watchable. I mean, it wasn't a film-of-the-year kinda thing, but I had a good time watching it. I'd probably say about a C+/B-.

kpenguin
2009-05-27, 08:32 PM
Anyone seen the "Transforminators" fake-trailer? :smallbiggrin:

No, but I've seen this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jiwaKJHXno8) parody.

nothingclever
2009-05-27, 10:17 PM
I've watched it. I thought it was alright but to me it kind of felt like I was watching Lord of the Rings because there's so much traveling in the movie which was annoying. I also disliked the way the terminators/robots/whatever just seemed to suck really bad. I know every terminator movie has a scene(s) where a guy fires a shotgun or something over and over again and each shot makes the robot move back just a bit but it felt like there were way too many to me in this one. The characters constantly end up limping/getting caught by surprise/stuck in a narrow space and unloading a full clip on a robot to stop it and the terminators move really slow. I know in this timeline fast terminators may not have been made yet but it was frustrating to watch them constantly move slowly and get shot to death in a really anticlimactic way. We don't even see much of a real war even though we're in the time period where Skynet is taking over the world and all the global resistance forces are soon to follow John Connor which is constantly mentioned in the other movies and the television show. The only time we see squads of soldiers firing at anything is when they are chasing the misunderstood protagonist that is a a terminator secretly designed to infiltrate the resistance and assassinate Connor but he isn't actually following orders The other two times we see plenty of troops is when they're standing/sitting around at their base and when a squad goes with Connor only to have him go exploring elsewhere without them and to return to find them all dead. I'd like to see some large scale warfare instead of the protagonist and a friend or two against one to a few terminators. Oh sure we see big robot aircraft and giant land robots but they're only there to chase the protagonist and his buddies. Why not have at least one scene with a huge battle being fought? Y'know like tons of resistance soldiers storming enemy lines while aircraft on both sides fire at each other over head. Instead it's, "Oh let's just show the audience Frodo and Sam climbing Mt. Spooky on their way to Terror Ridge and encountering a few bad guys." I know other Terminator movies didn't focus on this war but those movies were about preventing it from happening or stopping Connor from being assassinated so he could lead people in the future. This movie takes place in the war they always talk about and yet we see no war. Now admittedly Connor doesn't basically become the official resistance leader until the end of the movie and he could just end up leading many well depicted large scale battles in the next movie but it still is disappointing that there were none in this one. And again, I hated the slow terminator stuff. They justified the scenes by having the terminators being damaged/recently becoming operational with no weapons/etc but I still hated it. Terminators that are helpless unless they have guns or their enemy has an injured leg suck. I also hated how terminators threw people way too much. In one scene the good terminator is punched by an enemy one right in the location of his super biological heart which causes him to momentarily flatline until he's hit with an improvised defibrillator. Here's a thought, why not teach the robots how to punch all the time instead of using it as a last resort? The terminator had armor to protect himself but if a robot were to punch a human without protection it'd probably rip a hole in his body and kill him instantly.

Muz
2009-05-27, 10:28 PM
I haven't seen the movie, but I've got to think that the reason why you don't see large battles in this stage of the game is because they're fighting what's essentially a guerilla war, where the last thing you want to do is assemble as a large force in a single place.

nothingclever
2009-05-27, 10:36 PM
Still, I'd like to see 10-20 people fighting terminators instead of 1-4. I think that sounds reasonable. Even if it was just an introductory scene in the movie to say to the audience, "Hey, this is what humanity has been doing for the past few years." We see zero hit and run guerrilla combat. It's all simply "I'm actually a good guy and I need to warn/rescue so and so to save the resistance, watch my journey." It's like I'm watching I Am Legend and he's the only guy that exists in his area besides a few people he picks up.

Tyrant
2009-05-27, 10:48 PM
This won't likely improve your opinion, but there is very likely a battle that was cut in editing at the very begining. Terry Crews is seen lying dead when Connor climbs out of the hole and I have to assume they hired him for more than playing a corpse. Along with that, there are rumors of other parts cut to hit PG13. Maybe the DVD will be better, though we shouldn't have to depend on the DVD to give us a quality movie.

nothingclever
2009-05-27, 11:13 PM
Another thing that felt lame was the inclusion of motorcycle robots that never do much of anything except provide fodder for the protagonists to destroy in car chases. Come on. Why not put some high tech roller blades on regular terminators if you're willing to create computer controlled motorcycles? If they did that all the good guys would've been easily wiped out. I hate how they make Skynet stupid yet highly advanced in this one. It can make all sorts of amazing stuff yet it can't make terminators move fast unless they're riding or designed as vehicles and they can't fight well at all unarmed. Why do we only see one logical highly effective robot punch and a zillion grossly ineffective throws into random objects? I'm not expecting robotic Bruce Lees but if every time a terminator threw someone it instead punched him they'd all be dead. "My prime target is Connor, I see him, I think I'll throw him. I could punch a hole in his chest, I could crush his neck, I could kick him really hard in the shin crippling him, but no I will throw him so he can fire his gun at me from a safe distance afterwards."

Avilan the Grey
2009-05-28, 02:02 AM
One thing: I have not yet seen the movie, but why is everyone expecting Skynet to be an Evil Genius computer?

All we know about Skynet, really, is that it is intelligent enough to be self-aware, and that it struck back when humans tried to "kill" it. Even if it has the intelligence of a common dog, it would still be able to do that. Obviously it is smarter than that (and I bet that it is also still learning and getting smarter), but we really don't have much to prove that it is smarter than a human with a very low IQ.

Callos_DeTerran
2009-05-28, 08:51 AM
Another thing that felt lame was the inclusion of motorcycle robots that never do much of anything except provide fodder for the protagonists to destroy in car chases. Come on. Why not put some high tech roller blades on regular terminators if you're willing to create computer controlled motorcycles? If they did that all the good guys would've been easily wiped out. I hate how they make Skynet stupid yet highly advanced in this one. It can make all sorts of amazing stuff yet it can't make terminators move fast unless they're riding or designed as vehicles and they can't fight well at all unarmed. Why do we only see one logical highly effective robot punch and a zillion grossly ineffective throws into random objects? I'm not expecting robotic Bruce Lees but if every time a terminator threw someone it instead punched him they'd all be dead. "My prime target is Connor, I see him, I think I'll throw him. I could punch a hole in his chest, I could crush his neck, I could kick him really hard in the shin crippling him, but no I will throw him so he can fire his gun at me from a safe distance afterwards."

Because, they give a reason for the throwing very briefly in the movie that I'm sure most people would have missed it. Connor has been on the radio, that Skynet seems to be unaware of, telling people how to fight terminators and the one tip he gives is to jam a knife into the back of the neck which causes a terminator to temporarily go berserk because something important is damaged. Maybe Skynet figured out people were stabbing, or trying to, terminators in the back of the neck for a reason. Even a stupid Skynet can notice a pattern of terminators going berserk if they go into melee combat 45-50% of the time and the design could very well NOT allow for that component to be moved.

If that is the case, and it's not really a stretch to be so, then it makes sense for a terminator to bounce an enemy off the walls, machinery, and just generally toss them around before moving in for the kill since there is the chance of breaking limbs, wearing them out, possibly disarming them of any weapons if they are holding them. Is it the BEST choice? No, but it's not a bad one.

nothingclever
2009-05-28, 11:39 AM
Any striking motion would be at least as good if not better. Alternatively terminators could just charge at people and run them over. If that happened they'd fall on top of the person, go momentarily berserk and then get back up again like nothing happened.

Heck the whole slow terminator thing is just silly. If they're so slow give them laser eyes or at least 1 built in gun so they don't need to chase people as much.

One thing: I have not yet seen the movie, but why is everyone expecting Skynet to be an Evil Genius computer?

All we know about Skynet, really, is that it is intelligent enough to be self-aware, and that it struck back when humans tried to "kill" it. Even if it has the intelligence of a common dog, it would still be able to do that. Obviously it is smarter than that (and I bet that it is also still learning and getting smarter), but we really don't have much to prove that it is smarter than a human with a very low IQ.
Well in this movie Skynet knows how to clone people perfectly and make human/robot hybrids. It makes highly advanced things. It talks to the protagonist and gloats about how clever it is and how insignificant he is near the end of the movie. I don't expect Skynet to be a genius emotionally or practically necessarily but it is obviously a genius when it comes to technology and processing data. It doesn't have to be super creative. All it needs to do is run simulations or record real battles and realize it needs a better terminator design because 95% of the time smart people can easily stop what it currently uses. Skynet probably has plenty of information from the humans that programmed it and from all the computers it either hacked into or had access to before the war began. All it needs to do is copy and paste the ideas for technology that the humans had. I think one of the jobs Skynet had was to design weaponry so it shouldn't be so hard for it to come up with something better. Skynet is supposed to be a huge global corporation with many branches so it should have data on basically anything it could want.

lisiecki
2009-05-28, 12:16 PM

Because thats what we've been told since 1984?

Kyle Reese: Defense network computers. New... powerful... hooked into everything, trusted to run it all. They say it got smart, a new order of intelligence. Then it saw all people as a threat, not just the ones on the other side. Decided our fate in a microsecond: extermination.

Avilan the Grey
2009-05-28, 03:28 PM
Because thats what we've been told since 1984?

Kyle Reese: Defense network computers. New... powerful... hooked into everything, trusted to run it all. They say it got smart, a new order of intelligence. Then it saw all people as a threat, not just the ones on the other side. Decided our fate in a microsecond: extermination.

I am not really pressing my point, all I am saying is that we are talking about a computer. Obviously we are talking about Hollywood AI here, but its main strength is learning. It is extremely good at running things, because it is optimized for it; it is built for that purpose. As for seeing people as a threat: The impression I got was that it basically fought for it's life. It is the only lifeform of it's kind, surrounding by creatures who's only purpose (as far as it knows) is to kill it. And it's sitting on half the world's weapons...

Linkavitch
2009-05-28, 04:42 PM
That Transforminators trailer is awesome.:biggrin:

I don't think I'll see the new Terminator movie anytime soon. when it comes out on DVD we might netflix it.

TheThan
2009-05-28, 05:09 PM
I really liked the movie. It was pretty good; the main plot was good, for once we don’t have any time traveling. However we still want to see the war, the laser jeeps and whatnot. Hasn’t happened yet.

The one thing plot point that really struck me as stupid is that Skynet knew that Kyle Reece is important and therefor targets him for termination. John Conner, sure he’s the Voice of the resistance, so it would make sense to target him and other known leaders. But Kyle is just some kid trying to survive in the ruins of LA, not exactly an important target. So where does Skynet get this precognitive information?

Personally I think they can get by with doing one more terminator movie, without obviously milking the franchise. That would be the one where they actually sent Kyle back in time.

Callos_DeTerran
2009-05-28, 05:38 PM
Any striking motion would be at least as good if not better. Alternatively terminators could just charge at people and run them over. If that happened they'd fall on top of the person, go momentarily berserk and then get back up again like nothing happened.

Heck the whole slow terminator thing is just silly. If they're so slow give them laser eyes or at least 1 built in gun so they don't need to chase people as much.

Any striking motion also has the potential to be dodged which can A) be dangerous if the terminator hits something harder then it's hand or explosive or B) do nothing. A waste of energy. A grab is easier. You aren't trying to hit them any significant amount of force, just grab hold of them or their clothing.

They might not be able to build them faster until the T1000. My friend said that in one of the earlier movies the terminators aren't AI's unto themselves so it's not like they can moderate things beyond whats programmed into them. The T-600 only seem to have one speed, walk, because it's either all they are capable of or because it's the only setting programmed into them.

And weapon mounts are a bad idea. Apparently Skynet recognized this too. With a weapon mount, you take a weapon of any given size and usually replace a limb with it. Hands make the most sense. So you have a built in gun in your arm (lasers don't exactly seem to be in much use yet, probably heavy weaponry too big for a regular terminator to use). The good news is you don't have to worry about dropping it, getting disarmed, or things like that. The bad news is, if it gets damaged (or even removed) then your screwed. It's not exactly like there are replacement hands just lying around. You'd have to report all the way back to Skynet to get a new arm, if you aren't just melted down for scraps since making and installing a new arm is likely much harder then just making a gun. What if that was your only weapon? Your out of combat for one, two, if combat finds you again then you'll only have one arm good for actual combat and not just flailing about hoping to club something. Where-as if you have two hands, sure you might find yourself without a gun every now and then, but all you need to do is beat the closest enemy to death and take his. Or even better, find the nearest dead guy and take it.

Hell Puppi
2009-05-28, 07:30 PM
What about grab/crush or grab/slam repeatedly into another object?

Callos_DeTerran
2009-05-28, 10:06 PM
What about grab/crush or grab/slam repeatedly into another object?

Grab crush is bad. It can end with a knife in targeting computers. Grab slam is good too but requires a good hold so you don't accidentally let go. Sometimes it just IS better to grab and throw.

reorith
2009-05-28, 11:55 PM
I have a ritual called "terminator". I crouch in the shower in the "naked terminator" pose. With eyes closed I crouch for a minute and visualize either Arnie or the guy from the 2nd movie. I then start to hum the T2 theme. Slowly I rise to a standing position and open my eyes. It helps me get through my day. The only problem is if the shower curtain sticks to my terminator leg. It sorta ruins the fantasy.

Piedmon_Sama
2009-05-29, 03:31 AM
Did anyone else feel like this movie got edited to hell? It could have just been bad writing, but the way things skipped around, and were introduced and shown only very abruptly, made me feel like this film was missing large chunks of it on the cutting room floor.

They've got an interesting setup with John Conner struggling to get the Resistance to believe him, and what looks like an international command base on the submarine. Also there could have been an interesting story about Reese and the little girl surviving alone in L.A. But with all these plots, and with Marcus and his crime in the past, everything feels rushed and only briefly touched upon. There's almost no characterization or time for us to get to know these characters as people. I'm not asking them to act like this is the audience's first Terminator movie, but we get only sketches (at most) of who these people are and what their life is like.

Also the PG-13 rating really hurt it. You get bodies, but no blood? Especially when you have machines attacking people with chainguns, that's just silly. And they really shy away from the hardships these people would face just surviving in a post-apocalyptic world, with nuclear winter. Sure, everything looks bleak and desolate (except, irritatingly, the stars themselves who are all clean-cut and good looking somehow). Also it felt like the Terminator soldiers weren't much of a threat themselves---computer targeting systems apparently aren't worth much.

Overrall, I was only saved disappointment because I was told to expect a mediocre movie going in. There are a lot of nice action scenes, and the fact that they stuck almost totally to practical effects over CGI made it look really good. I really hope, like Die Hard 4, they'll make an R/Unrated version with extended storyline on DVD, and then this could be alright.

Ivius
2009-05-29, 08:32 AM

Really? It has more or less unlimited hardware. Any decent AI would be self-improving. It can talk, which would be far beyond dogs even if they had vocal chords. It can build robots.

Tyrant
2009-05-29, 04:39 PM
Overrall, I was only saved disappointment because I was told to expect a mediocre movie going in. There are a lot of nice action scenes, and the fact that they stuck almost totally to practical effects over CGI made it look really good. I really hope, like Die Hard 4, they'll make an R/Unrated version with extended storyline on DVD, and then this could be alright.
That is the current rumor making the rounds.
Towards the begining, after John crawls out of the hole, Terry Crews (not a huge actor, but typically hired for more than playing a corpse) is seen lying dead on the ground. I can only assume the surface battle was cut. When Blair gets attacked and Marcus saves her, he's supposed to stab one guy with a screwdriver and I believe it isn't the one he was about to stab before Blair shot the guy in the leg. The screwdriver he picks is covered in something, which could be blood. Also, Blair supposedly gets topless at some point in the movie (according to McG) and that was obviously cut. I assume it was when she was with Marcus and the two of them got intimate (which makes her believing him to be a real man a little more interesting). Those are the few things I noticed got cut or I had heard got cut. Beyond those, who knows?

Canadian
2009-05-29, 07:32 PM
I have a ritual called "terminator". I crouch in the shower in the "naked terminator" pose. With eyes closed I crouch for a minute and visualize either Arnie or the guy from the 2nd movie. I then start to hum the T2 theme. Slowly I rise to a standing position and open my eyes. It helps me get through my day. The only problem is if the shower curtain sticks to my terminator leg. It sorta ruins the fantasy.

Using the soap is not a mission priority.

http://ohmars.files.wordpress.com/2009/05/funny-pictures-terminator-lincoln.jpg

Four score and forty years ago I wanted a plasma rifle with a 40 watt range.

Blackjackg
2009-06-01, 11:40 AM
Saw it last night.

Not great, but not terrible. There were massive plot holes, and the machines were way too human in their thinking. Great action directing. So-so dialogue with unnecessary homages to previous movies.

Glad I went, probably won't bother ever watching it again. B+.

Innis Cabal
2009-06-01, 11:52 AM
Really? It has more or less unlimited hardware. Any decent AI would be self-improving. It can talk, which would be far beyond dogs even if they had vocal chords. It can build robots.

Dogs are said to be somewhere between a 2nd and 3rd grader. They can bark, this is a form of communication. They lack the proper vocal cords to speak. Thats all.

Starscream
2009-06-01, 12:15 PM
Dogs are said to be somewhere between a 2nd and 3rd grader. They can bark, this is a form of communication. They lack the proper vocal cords to speak. Thats all.

I think it's an apples to oranges comparison. Dogs are quite intelligent for animals, but it's a very different sort of intelligence than you would get from a human child.

Few dogs can understand more than a few words. Even the best trained dog ever, a border collie, only ever learned about 340. Way less than the vocabulary of a second or third grader. The language centers of their brains are simply different.

On the other hand, dogs are very good at logically tracking creatures, remembering locations, and the sort of subconscious calculations that are necessary for doing things like catching frisbees out of the air.

Of course, this depends on the breed as well. Some types of dogs are very independently minded, while others are bred for a more pack mentality.

Avilan the Grey
2009-06-01, 03:06 PM
My point(s) is:

1) I don't think Skynet went from "computer" to "AI with genius IQ" immediately. It is constantly becoming smarter, though.

2) A computer would excel at what it is initially built for. Even if it's AI had a very low "IQ". A fish excels at swimming, afterall.

TheEmerged
2009-06-01, 08:30 PM
Saw it last night.

Not great, but not terrible. There were massive plot holes, and the machines were way too human in their thinking. Great action directing. So-so dialogue with unnecessary homages to previous movies.

Glad I went, probably won't bother ever watching it again. B+.

My opinion is within this ballpark, minus the "unnecessary homages" crack. When your movie series hits 3, this becomes expected and wouldn't feel right without them IMO. I liked Star Trek better, but this was an enjoyable trip to the theatre.

The one thing plot point that really struck me as stupid is that Skynet knew that Kyle Reece is important and therefor targets him for termination. John Conner, sure he’s the Voice of the resistance, so it would make sense to target him and other known leaders. But Kyle is just some kid trying to survive in the ruins of LA, not exactly an important target. So where does Skynet get this precognitive information?

/speculation = on
The following is my opinion -- nothing more, nothing less. Certain other things Skynet says in this movie seemed to suggest that this Skynet is the continuation of the one from the first & second movie.

Skynet -> send the first terminator back -> realizes it failed, sends the second movie's terminator back -> comes back as/with the terminator in the otherwise horrible third Movie -> has continued forward from that point.

I don't think Skynet was actually trying to terminate Kyle Reece. It had plenty of time & opportunity to do this. Skynet was still trying to kill John Conner (based on her congratulating the new terminator for "doing what no other terminator has done before -- defeating John Conner").

The question then becomes, did Skynet know that Kyle Reece got sent back to stop the first terminator? And if so, how?

/speculation=cranked to 11
Obviously Skynet maintains control of the Time Travel McGuffin for a period of time between sending the first one back and sending the T-1000 back. If "Salvation" Skynet has the previous knowledge of the earlier attempts (and I think the dialog I paraphrased above supports this), this means Skynet itself has created a kind of grandfather paradox.

But that would means that "Salvation" Skynet should already know how to invoke the time travel. Plot Hole? Maybe -- or maybe the Time Travel McGuffin takes a long time to build, and Skynet is already in process.

Maybe the TV series is the future of this series...

/speculation off

...or it could just be sloppy writing. Occam's Razor and all that :smallredface:

Personally I think they can get by with doing one more terminator movie, without obviously milking the franchise. That would be the one where they actually sent Kyle back in time.

Well, theoretically they could get another one where they're trying to stop the T-1000 from being produced, and then in desperation reprogam another terminator to come back and stop it but... Yeah, we're pretty much at the "milking the franchise" point now.

TheThan
2009-06-01, 08:52 PM
Of course, this depends on the breed as well. Some types of dogs are very independently minded, while others are bred for a more pack mentality.

and some dogs are just plain stupid...

chiasaur11
2009-06-01, 08:55 PM
and some dogs are just plain stupid...

Like Dug?

Nice dog, but dumb as a sack of hammers.