2009-05-27, 06:24 PM
ok so I figured it all out.

Blizzard has a new MMO

Duke Nukem forever has been picked up by a third party developer

Valve is turning TF2 into an MMO

Were going to have a crazy World of Duke Fortress forever game:smallbiggrin:

Rutskarn
2009-05-27, 09:32 PM
Actually, I have a different conspiracy.

The DNF team, upon seeing how much more incredibly awesome The Spy was than Duke Nukem and how badly their hero paled in comparison, botched their project out of shame. This gave Valve a larger market share, and led them to pursue an MMO-like creative jobbie because they have no stiff competitors.

Blizzard, however, doesn't want Valve on its turf either. And so, it's doing an MMO.

But Rutskarn, you say, voice dripping with simpering ignorance, how can this be possible? It would require DNF to see Meet the Spy BEFORE 3D Realms went out of business, Valve to recode AFTER DNF went under, and Blizzard to start their new MMO AFTER all this happened!

Time travel.

It all makes sense now.

Pie Guy
2009-05-27, 09:59 PM
My friend thinks that Valve was first a quiet subsidiary of Microsoft, until through a (I assume) bloody civil war, Valve controlled Microsoft.

My friend owns a mac.

Mando Knight
2009-05-27, 10:41 PM
I'm pretty sure that the MMO-ification code in TF2 is a red herring to throw off people who slice into the game to figure out the next updates.

Icewalker
2009-05-27, 11:31 PM
Time travel.

It all makes sense now.

Oh my god.

Everything. Everything makes sense!

...I still find it slightly amusing that Blizzard is making another MMO, what with the whole 165 million dollars a month thing.

Rutskarn
2009-05-27, 11:46 PM
Oh my god.

Everything. Everything makes sense!

...I still find it slightly amusing that Blizzard is making another MMO, what with the whole 165 million dollars a month thing.

...is that a real figure?

If so, that's goddamn staggering.

Crispy Dave
2009-05-27, 11:55 PM
...is that a real figure?

If so, that's goddamn staggering.

well obviously with time travel Blizzard knew that they would start losing money.

Icewalker
2009-05-28, 12:16 AM
Well, WoW has 11 million + subscribers, and it's $15 per month. That's just subscriptions.

Erloas
2009-05-28, 09:47 AM
Well, WoW has 11 million + subscribers, and it's $15 per month. That's just subscriptions.

Well there is a lot more to take into account then that. For one, every gamecard bought from someplace like Wal-Mart they are probably only getting maybe $8 of that $15. Then you have a lot of long term subs that are $10/month instead.
Then you have to consider that of that 11 million, about 6-8 million of them are in Asia, and they use a completely different billing system there and those players pay a fraction of what is payed by Western gamers. I don't remember for sure, but I think they average maybe 1/3 of what is paid in other places.

Not saying they aren't making a lot of money off WoW, but there is a lot more to figuring out how much they are making then simply multiplying subs by the price in one place.

SlyGuyMcFly
2009-05-28, 11:12 AM
It gets even better, European users pay 15€, which currently works out to 20ish dollars american :smallannoyed:

Still, I think it can be safely assumed that Blizzard´s revenue off WoW is something between hella-lots and super-oodles :smalltongue:

Were going to have a crazy World of Duke Fortress forever game

No. We´re gonna have a steampunk game. And it will rock.

No, I have no evidence to back this up. And no, I don´t care. I want to have my little delusional fantasy and nothing anyone says will change that! *shakes fist defiantly*

kc0bbq
2009-05-29, 05:08 PM
Then you have to consider that of that 11 million, about 6-8 million of them are in Asia, and they use a completely different billing system there and those players pay a fraction of what is payed by Western gamers. The 11.5 million is always framed as "monthly subscriptions", so it would exclude South Koreans who opt for the shorter time increments, as well as China. China is completely separate, Blizzard essentially only licenses the game to the company that runs it there, and it's behind on content.

I'd guess subscriptions are probably in line with $125million/mo, but a majority of that gets eaten up by infrastructure costs. It's a cash cow in that it's a great source of cashflow, but I wouldn't guess the company is cash heavy.

They exist to make money, and they do it by making games that more people play on PCs other than The Sims games.

MCerberus
2009-05-29, 07:15 PM
Sega is "New Coke"ing the Sonic series so that, when they release an actual good Sonic game, sales would jump like crazy.

The TF2 update for consoles will only plaster decals around the maps.

Due to popular demand, all perks and weapons for the new Call of Duty game have been phased out except for ones which make it easier to spam grenades and camp with sniper rifles.

Seeing that everyone loved UT2k4 when compared to 2k3, UT 4 is on the way. It will bring back Assault mode.

Popcap games has a mass production coding robot to eliminate overhead, fueling their profits.

Tripwire will make another game critics can't decide if they like but will be rabidly defended by its fans due to subtle brainwashing devices that take full effect after the 24 hour mark.

The cake is a lie.