PDA

View Full Version : [4E] Hybrid Talent Feat

Duos Greanleef
2009-05-27, 08:38 PM
So, Wizards released an update for the hybrid classes and the Hybrid Talent Feat was part of it. It allows you to gain one additional class feature from one of your hybrid classes.
It doesn't specifically say that you can't take the feat more than once, and I'm aware that that other feats of this nature (Weapon expertise, etc...) specifically say you can, but that still makes the Hybrids underpowered with only three class features, two of which are Nerfed.
I submit this question to the playground:
Should you be able to take the feat multiple times?
It's still in playtest so I figured this is the kind of feedback Wizards would want.
:smallsmile:--Duos

Gralamin
2009-05-27, 09:11 PM
So, Wizards released an update for the hybrid classes and the Hybrid Talent Feat was part of it. It allows you to gain one additional class feature from one of your hybrid classes.
It doesn't specifically say that you can't take the feat more than once, and I'm aware that that other feats of this nature (Weapon expertise, etc...) specifically say you can, but that still makes the Hybrids underpowered with only three class features, two of which are Nerfed.
I submit this question to the playground:
Should you be able to take the feat multiple times?
It's still in playtest so I figured this is the kind of feedback Wizards would want.
:smallsmile:--Duos

Hybrid Talent was in the original one as well, it just wasn't as general.

I'm basically thinking of this fix currently, though, as I agree with you.

Special: You may take Hybrid Talent once per tier. In addition, instead of gaining a new feature it may be used to upgrade a class feature to the version the original class has (So Hunters Quarry would work with all powers).

I think it should be about right in strength, honestly.

Mauril Everleaf
2009-05-27, 09:16 PM
Taking the Hybrid Talent feat again is a feature of Hybrid Paragon class. It was mentioned in the article.

Gralamin
2009-05-28, 12:58 AM
Taking the Hybrid Talent feat again is a feature of Hybrid Paragon class. It was mentioned in the article.

And while it is massively better then Paragon Multiclassing, losing your paragon Path still hurts more.

TricksyAndFalse
2009-05-28, 10:20 AM
[...]but that still makes the Hybrids underpowered with only three class features, two of which are Nerfed. [...]

Three is about as many as a full class gets. Certain combos don't get nerfed features at all, like Barbarian|Sorcerer. Some of the "nerfed" features are just as strong as the full class versions, such as Sneak Attack and Combat Challenge. The nerfs on those features restrict them to being used only with the powers of the root class, which is what happens to full class rogues and fighters anyway (granted, barring a multiclass, though many people are reluctant to take the power-swap feats to actually make use of this full class 'benefit').

Even if you houserule that Hybrid Talent can be taken more than twice, I'd still suggest a limit. These class features are more powerful than most feats, and I wouldn't let players in my game collect all the features available--they're supposed to be making a trade-off of some kind for this versatility, and I think that many of the class features are an unresistable bargain at the cost of only one feat.

I will concede that I think the nerf on the Paladin's Divine Challenge is probably too strong, and that they should probably get some compensation (lay on hands feature for free?). The full class divine challenge feature is already not a strong deterrent, and for the hybrid paladin to have to sacrifice his/her immediate reaction for the round to activate it makes it even less attractive.

DM Raven
2009-05-28, 02:42 PM
And while it is massively better then Paragon Multiclassing, losing your paragon Path still hurts more.

I dunno, you can make some pretty sick stuff if you plan ahead and multiclass well. I'm not a fan of the hybrid characters, the class features they get feel sorta nerfed. The result is a character that can take on multiple roles...but not very well. =/

Asbestos
2009-05-28, 11:32 PM
I dunno, you can make some pretty sick stuff if you plan ahead and multiclass well. I'm not a fan of the hybrid characters, the class features they get feel sorta nerfed. The result is a character that can take on multiple roles...but not very well. =/

Most importantly it gives the player more options and more fully realizes certain character concepts than multiclassing alone.

Currently I'm envisioning Barbarian|BRV Fighter, Warlord|Thaneborn Barb, Shielding Swordmage|Infernal Pact Warlock, and a half dozen other characters.