PDA

View Full Version : Yourself as a 1st level PC

ChrisDemilich
2009-05-28, 01:55 AM
My friends and I used a new system for getting stats; use our real life stats, converted into D&D terminology. You choose your stats, but have the players who know you adjust them based on their recommendation. So, go ahead and post your own stats. Feel free to ask your friends what they think your stats would be at first level.

My stats are: 11 Strength, 8 Dexterity, 10 con, 14 int, 12 wis, 12 cha.

Also, no 17's or 18's will be believed unless you show us pictures of yourself with ripped muscles in a martial arts uniform, or holding a Master's degree in a non-arts field of study, or youtube videos of yourself picking Mastercraft locks etc. :p

lisiecki
2009-05-28, 02:07 AM
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97130

Last time we did this, the average INT was 24, and the average charisma was 16 or something.

And yet I live in a world with AIDS because people who smarter than any to come before them, are addicted to forum posting.

(Also, they, on a regular basis, archive scores on IQ tests, that can not be achieved on IQ tests.)

Deepblue706
2009-05-28, 02:24 AM
STR 21
DEX 18
CON 19
INT 18
WIS 17
CHA 18

http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb298/DeepBlue706/conan-1.jpg

Class: Barbarian

Skills: Bluff (+6), Climb (+9), Hide (+6), Intimidate (+8), Jump (+9), Knowledge [Physics] (+6), Move Silently (+6), Ride (+6), Swim (+9)

+Literacy (2 skill points)

ChrisDemilich
2009-05-28, 02:26 AM
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97130

Last time we did this, the average INT was 24, and the average charisma was 16 or something.

And yet I live in a world with AIDS because people who smarter than any to come before them, are addicted to forum posting.

(Also, they, on a regular basis, archive scores on IQ tests, that can not be achieved on IQ tests.)

Which is exactly why I'd rather ignore that previous post on the subject. It is impossible to make an equation to rank each person's attributes like that. The only reliable method is to rank yourself based on observable traits. In most cases, that means a third party judging you.

In our case, the highest stats were from a player of ours who plays sports, does Karate, and is a smart guy too. I think something like 15, 12, 12, 11, 10, 11. Which is exemplary as far as humans go.

The best way to rank is to look at the chart in the start of the PHB, compare yourself to the monsters and creatures at each level, and seriously evaluate whether you compare or not.

I have a 138 IQ, and I am fairly clever. So I believe I could compare well to a Wraith, or an invisible stalker for intellect. My Strength is not horrible, but not great, so an 11 is reasonable. I am a bit slower physically, so an 8 is again reasonable. And so on.

ChrisDemilich
2009-05-28, 02:31 AM
STR 21
DEX 18
CON 19
INT 18
WIS 17
CHA 18

http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb298/DeepBlue706/conan-1.jpg

Class: Barbarian

Skills: Bluff (+6), Climb (+9), Hide (+6), Intimidate (+8), Jump (+9), Knowledge [Physics] (+6), Move Silently (+6), Ride (+6), Swim (+9)

+Literacy (2 skill points)

Real stats: Str 8, Dex 6, Con 10, Int 10, Wis 7, Cha 4.

Class: Nerd

Skills: Munching the Cheetos +6, Drinking the Mountain Dew +8, Lying about yourself +9, Not understanding the post +6, Internet BS +9.

lisiecki
2009-05-28, 02:34 AM
Which is exactly why I'd rather ignore that previous post on the subject. It is impossible to make an equation to rank each person's attributes like that. The only reliable method is to rank yourself based on observable traits. In most cases, that means a third party judging you.

Ya, but its just going to descend in to the same thing yet again.
People are going to say they have an INT of 20+
Im going task why they haven't cured AIDS
There going to say that its because they play DandD

People are going to talk about how they REALLY have class levels.

Honestly, if anything i would go with the GURPS method.
There is a chart some where where point values are listed for levels of education.

Thats marginally less ridiculous.

Xefas
2009-05-28, 02:34 AM
One time I ran a one shot level 1 D&D adventure with some friends where we did something similar.

I think I ended up with 9 Str, 12 Dex, 10 Con, 11 Int, 14 Wis, 10 Cha. A passable cleric, but definitely not good enough that I'd consider adventuring life.

Deepblue706
2009-05-28, 02:36 AM

Skills: Munching the Cheetos +6, Drinking the Mountain Dew +8, Lying about yourself +9, Not understanding the post +6, Internet BS +9.

Jealousy is such an ugly thing.

FMArthur
2009-05-28, 02:36 AM
STR: 9
DEX: 9
CON: 8
INT: 13
WIS: 14
CHA: 3

Class: Sorceror

Haven
2009-05-28, 02:38 AM
Not understanding the post +6

Looks like you got a nat 20 on that check yourself. :smalltongue:

Salt_Crow
2009-05-28, 02:39 AM
Str 7/Dex 10/Con 9/Int 13/Wis 14/Cha 11

Class: Expert w/ ranks in Heal (pharmacy student) and Perform (Pun).

I've given myself some good Wis because I keep those puns to myself ;) It requires a great deal of willpower too...

Deepblue706
2009-05-28, 02:40 AM
Looks like you got a nat 20 on that check yourself. :smalltongue:

Unfortunately a nat 20 doesn't mean auto-success for a skill check. And I DID set the DC fairly high on that one, apparently.

V'icternus
2009-05-28, 02:43 AM
STR: 11
DEX: 16 (Thank you, Karate + video games!)
CON: 8 (I'm, uh... I'm not healthy.)
INT: 16 (But how do I factor in a lack of trying? Hmm...)
CHA: 8 (I can't convince people of anything, even when I'm totally absolutely right. (Which is always) I'm un-diplomatic, I'm shy, and I don't like crowds)

Class: Screen-lover.
Class features: Net trawler, remote pincher, master of gaming, lethargy

ChrisDemilich
2009-05-28, 02:44 AM
Unfortunately a nat 20 doesn't mean auto-success for a skill check. And I DID set the DC fairly high on that one, apparently.

Naw, I got the joke. Still, I was trying to make a more or less serious post. XP My sense of humor check gets a -4 penalty for being raised by a military father.

Edit: Heh, I just noticed that Bluff is on your skills. Nice. XP

BooNL
2009-05-28, 02:47 AM
I think I've done a test like this a long time ago. Basically the trick is ignoring the fact that "average humans" are between 8 and 12.
The question should be: how would you - at this moment in time - translate to a DnD universe, where everything is more powerful than real life.

Myself, I think:
Str: 10 - nothing special, though I'm not weak
Dex: 8 or 10 - Fairly clumsy and don't have a lot of balance. I am fairly good with fingerwork though, flamenco guitar and all...
Con: 12 - don't get sick all too often, fairly good hiker but I can't take a punch.
Int: 14 - pretty smart guy overal, IQ over 130
Wis: 8 - I lack some common sense, am not very perceptive and I tend to have a very unstructered mind
Cha: 16 - talking is my job, I am trained in various social skills, play 3 musical instruments and have near perfect etiquette.

My alignment would be either neutral good or true neutral. Classwise I'm thinking Ranger (nature buddy) or Bard (socialite, musician).

Draz74
2009-05-28, 03:20 AM
Also, no 17's or 18's will be believed unless you show us pictures of yourself with ripped muscles in a martial arts uniform, or holding a Master's degree in a non-arts field of study, or youtube videos of yourself picking Mastercraft locks etc. :p

Anytime one of these topics pops up, I find myself being the person who points out:

Out of any 210 randomly-selected people, statistically, one of them will have an 18 Intelligence. And one will have an 18 Strength. And so on. (Most likely these will be six separate individuals, but you never know. One person could even conceivably end up with two 18's.)

And there are a lot more than 210 people that visit this Forum.

That all being said, I'm not going to actually participate myself. Too subjective for my taste, and besides, I've done it before.

Harperfan7
2009-05-28, 03:37 AM
I think I match up to standard elite ability scores, but definetly do not have a good class. Commoner, or expert with poorly chosen skills.

Str 11 (I have lifted 120lb. people over my head before)
Dex 15
Con 12
Int 13-14
Wis ? 8-12?
Cha ?8-12?

kamikasei
2009-05-28, 03:48 AM
Out of any 210 randomly-selected people, statistically, one of them will have an 18 Intelligence. And one will have an 18 Strength. And so on. (Most likely these will be six separate individuals, but you never know. One person could even conceivably end up with two 18's.)

- That's not actually how probabilities work. In a group of 210 people each having a 1/210 chance of having an 18, there's more than a 1/3 chance none will have one.
- You're assuming that everyone in the world rolls 3d6 for stats. Isn't that just the "heroes"?

AgentPaper
2009-05-28, 03:52 AM
Str 10
Con 10
Dex 10
Int 10
Wis 10
Cha 10

Pazuzu, Pazuzu, Pazuzu, win.

ChrisDemilich
2009-05-28, 03:58 AM
Anytime one of these topics pops up, I find myself being the person who points out:

And there are a lot more than 210 people that visit this Forum.

That all being said, I'm not going to actually participate myself. Too subjective for my taste, and besides, I've done it before.

Where does the 210 come from?

So, statistically speaking, 1 in 210 people could tie a tug of war with a horse? Or 1 in 210 people could match wits with a mind flayer? Or 1 in 210 people could be hit with a Polar bear sized dose of tranquilizer and not go into cardiac shock?

By that reasoning, the world has 30952 people with superhuman strength, or the same number of people have superhuman intelligence.

That seems really unlikely. I've seen people who could pull buses online. People who could outperform calculators. Olympic gymnasts who can do amazing feats of dexterity. Those people are not common. They are certainly not 1/210. More like 1/2100.

Your theory would equate to almost 3% of the human race being in some way superhuman. Which is far from superhuman at all.

BloodyAngel
2009-05-28, 04:02 AM
I've statted myself out in plenty of games. D&D not being the first. It's fun to play as a "normal" and still manage to muddle your way through a fight with a gnoll or ogre through sheer planning, grit and dumb luck!

Strength: 7 (I'm all of 5'1" and roughly 100lbs. Not exactly cut from marble)
Dexterity: 13 or 14 (I'm flexible and pretty spry, and have a background in gymnastics)
Constitution: 10 (Nothing special, but nothing terrible.)
Intelligence: 14 (My IQ tests put me in the 140-150 range. I pick stuff up pretty easy. ADD not withstanding.)
Wisdom: 8 (Did I mention the ADD? Also I've got my head in the clouds alot, have cruddy willpower, and tend to not notice things.)
Charisma: 12 (The hardest to guess at. I know a lot of people that I call friends... but most are guys, so I think that's for other reasons. But I do tend to take charge when I'm in a group, so I'll give a positive score.)

Class: Bard or Rogue (In D&D) or Expert (In the boring real world)

Skills: Not certain, exactly. At the least, I would have some ranks in Bluff, Diplomacy, Gather info, Perform (Dance), Tumble, Balance, Climb, Jump, and
Craft (Knitting)

TSED
2009-05-28, 04:14 AM
STR: 12. I have a very powerful build but I am out of shape right now. Whatever, it's not important in modern society. I am not going to look at the PHB, because according to that I had an 18 strength when I was in karate and working out regularly. Pfft, no. (I'm basing that off of "medium load" while carrying my 200+ pound sensei and running at full speed, by the way. About the only difference was that it was a little harder to turn.)

Dex: ~14. I do all kinds of awesome reflex / balance / finger work feats. Quick on my feet, etc. As some one before said "thank you karate and video games!", I'd like to add "music" to that list. I hop a fence taller than I am every time I come home with no handholds but for the top (wooden boards). It's not a strength thing, it's a "jump and catch your balance and twist and you're good" thing.

Con: ~18. Seriously. I know it's hard to believe, but yeah. I pretty much never get sick (this is a guy who walks around in -20 weather without a jacket), and I have taken hits from guys three times my size and was totally unfazed by them. I am an unstoppable juggernaut of awesomeness and am SO SCREWED once age modifiers start kicking in.

Further examples:
I am a metalhead, and I go into the moshpit and don't come out (unless it's a band I am not a fan of, in which case I get out and slum around or whatever). I have eaten candy I have found on my floor from months ago, gone "well I never get sick so I might as well" and then chow down on it (no sickness results), been attacked by several kids with sticks and was not injured in the process, never lost a game of Shot for Shot, have drunk 9 shots of tequila / vodka / etc. and was only a little more socially open (keep in mind that while I am broad shouldered and with a powerful build, I am only 5'10), have walked off 'fights' in middle through high school because the guy punching me as hard as he could didn't even make me flinch (even to the back of the head), broke my thumb without even REALISING it for THREE DAYS, have a reputation for my ridiculous pain tolerance, have been hit with a piece of wood with nails in it and bloodied up my forearms but I was otherwise perfectly ok (not even tetanus), can do just fine during a week with 12 hours of sleep total, tore my sternum as a young child and complained about it so the doctor discovered it was pushing against my HEART and they had to RETEAR IT AND RESET IT, walked home after stepping on a nail, etc.

I live with my sister and my brother in law, and they don't store their meat etc. in the fridge, but on the counter top. There are some things in the fridge but actual meat etc. is either freezing, thawing, cooking, or sitting on the counter. I haven't gotten sick yet from anything yet.
I basically take advantage of the fact that I'm invincible in my everyday life. It's awesome and I love it. Ok, enough bragging about how tough I am, let's move on.

Int: This is too subjective to measure.

Wis: TOTAL DUMP STAT. Once again with the 'too subjective to measure' but I am often busy thinking about things / daydreaming / being too awesome / stroking my ego to pay attention to the world around me, and my spot check suffers as a result. I am very, very trusting and believe people when they tell me things. I am NOT a wise man, though I occasionally have my moments. On the other hand, I am somewhat cautious and very patient, so it might be more of a 6-8 thing than a less-than-6.

Cha: Hard to say. I fluctuate on this, actually. I'm generally a fairly outgoing guy who's willing to make a joke about himself, but then everything's kind of a joke or game to me. This 'carefree' attitude lends itself to a high charisma, but then you get the fact that I cannot introduce myself to some one for the life of me. I do it now and then and it generally works wonderfully, but I'm riddled with self doubt the whole time. I am getting better and better as time goes by, though, so I have no idea. I mean, in highschool (just a few years ago) I was a total antisocial outcast. Nowadays I'm not. Iunno, maybe I'm gaining levels and putting my points in cha or something.

raitalin
2009-05-28, 04:39 AM
Str: 12 ( I spend my work days lifting and hauing 70+lb. boxes)
Dex: 10 ( I'm big, and can forget where my body is in space, but am surprisingly flexible and quick, with good aim.)
Con: 12 (I'm almost never sick, and can take a punch without stopping. If I didn't smoke I'd say 14)
Int: 14 (IQ ranges from 130-145, depending on the test and when I took it. I accumulate encyclopedic knowledge of subjects that interest me)
Wis: 13 (History, philosophy, psychology and religion are my primary fields of interest. I'm observant and can predict patterns in human behavior. I can read people better than most others I know. I have constructed an independent spirituality and world view. Unfortunately I have ADHD and low willpower when it comes to things like quitting smoking.)
Cha: 9 (Though I can make convincing arguments, I'm generally uncomfortable around people and tend to be a little too frank. Plus, I have no small talk. However, at the front of the classroom I'm right at home.)

As for class: I actually studied to become a Ranger for a while, but with my wondering mind I'd probably have to say Factotum.

I think part of the problem with this is that the abilities are so broad, for instance I have excellent aim, but my movements are clumsy. My comprehension and understanding of intangibles is good, but my willpower and focus sucks.

And while the average human's scores may be 10-11, its important to remember that a perfectly average human is even more rare than a super-genius or Olympic athlete.

Also I imagine the average intelligence iTP would be considerably above average, considering the people that tend to play PnPRPGs, and the average Str. and Cha. lower for the same reason.

ghost_warlock
2009-05-28, 05:32 AM
Hrm. Done this before, and taken interweb quizzes supposed to model the same thing.

If I had to come up with numbers out of the blue, though, I'd probably go with something like this:

Str 10
Dex 11
Con 14
Int 14
Wis 13
Cha 12

I have the Grudge Keeper flaw and something else that gives me a -4 penalty on Search checks.
I only have a single perk, and all it does is give me Martial Weapon Proficiency with a longsword. (:smallwink:)
For feats, I have Education, Great Fortitude, Improved Initiative, & Psionic Body (:smalltongue:).

Darwin
2009-05-28, 06:22 AM
Strength 10
I'm a 6th kyu karate practitioner (green belt) and with a tall frame (6'4" ft.) I compensate for my lack of raw muscle. I could probaly perform just as well as the average guy.

Dexterity 12
With my long legs I'm a fast sprinter, and the joints of my body are semi-hypermobile making me very flexible. My hand-to-eye coordination is average which should make 12 a fair guess.

Constitution 9
I run out of breath very quickly compared to others, and I can't do as many push-ups etc. as the average guy could.

Intelligence 13-14
I've got a documented IQ of 129 (can't remember the spread, I've got the paper lying around somewhere) which is a fair bit above the average. The topics on which I am knowledgeable are very concentrated.

Wisdom 9
I'm not great a multi-tasking, and can usually only concentrate on 1-2 things at a time. I am often the last guy to get the joke.

Charisma 12
I've got an average appareance, and I'm reasonably good to convince and manipulate others to my will.

Class: Abjurer
I couldn't really see myself as anything but a wizard, and my stats are fit for it as well.

Feat: Skill Focus (Knowledge Arcana)
As stated on my intelligence score, I am a very focused individual, who knows a great deal about a few things.

------------------------------------

Our gaming group actually did this sort of thing a while ago. We had each member of the group except for the person itself take votes on ability scores, classes etc. :smallbiggrin:

derfenrirwolv
2009-05-28, 06:25 AM
Str 14
Dex 6
Con 17 (6 years in a row perfect attendance. I wake up from full anesthetic, and have won fights by repeatedly smashing my face into someone's fist. now if i could just get the endurence thing...)
Int 14
wis 12
cha 8

Gaiyamato
2009-05-28, 06:26 AM
Done this a few time with mates of mine way back in my college days.
My stats back then were more impressive in the physical realms than I am now. lol.

I've adjusted and even added the age modifiers onto them. :)

STR: 10 (And only because I use steriods.. for real. :p)
DEX: 13
CON: 8
INT: 13 (I have 2 degrees, one of them is an honours and I am studying my third degree right now. But I think 13 is quite realisitc for my maximum capabilities)
CHA: 12

Class:
Archivist

Feats:
Human: Improved Initiative (back in the day before osteoperosis set in I used to practice JudeKwon, shaolifu and aukido as my main martial arts. I suck now, but I am still bloody fast. lol.)
Level 1: Skill Focus (Craft - Computer) (wow, this would be soo useful in dnd... but it really is my main skill. :( )
Flaw: Skill Focus (Heal) ( I've taken some advanced first aid classes and studied two first year medicine units as electives just for the heck of it. )

Flaw: Diseased <- requires special potions to be brewed and consumed each day or die.

evil-frosty
2009-05-28, 06:46 AM
Here is a quiz thing that will determine what type of character you are. The level is based on your age more or less and it gives you playable characters from what i remember.

http://www.easydamus.com/character.html

And i am apparently a:
Neutral Good Human Cleric (1st Level)

Ability Scores:
Strength- 13
Dexterity- 13
Constitution- 16
Intelligence- 15
Wisdom- 12
Charisma- 12

Atsu333
2009-05-28, 06:50 AM
STR: 7
DEX:14
CON:ehh... Im never sick but I can't take a hit...ill go with 10
INT:14
WIS:15
CHA:13

The closest class I can come to is a bard...

And I take a -8 on all rolls for being me, and ally attacks that miss have a 30% chance to hit me. No, I'm not really being down on myself, ask my friends, it just happened yesterday O.o

Aergoth
2009-05-28, 06:58 AM
Stats:

Strength 9 (100 pound weakling, but I know how to lift things.)
Dex:12 (Archery. I'm not good at it, but I might be able to hit something.)
Con:14 ( I bike to school, uphill both ways.)
Int: 16 (Walking Encyclopedia powers activate!
Wis:11 (The thing about common sense is that it isn't all that common)
Cha:7 (I fail at social.)

Class: Factotum

Skills: Knowledge (all):7 Craft (writing) 4.

Feats: Research
Educated

potatocubed
2009-05-28, 07:17 AM
Honestly, if anything i would go with the GURPS method. There is a chart some where where point values are listed for levels of education.

Thats marginally less ridiculous.

It really isn't. I built myself in GURPS once and came in at over 300 points (which was well into superhuman, as I recall). Since then I've learned a hell of a lot, so I shudder to think what kind of galaxy-crushing being I'd be in that system these days. :smalltongue:

In D&D...

Human male.
Rogue 1

Str 8
Dex 9
Con 14
Int 13
Wis 14
Cha 3 or 13, depending on what sort of day I'm having.

Skills: Bluff +5, Computers +5, Move Silently +1, Knowledge (22 various knowledges) +2, Perform (GM) +5, Profession (Editor) +6

I am an unoptimised character. :smalltongue:

Geddoe
2009-05-28, 07:21 AM
Str unknown, I haven't tested anything in awhile but 100 pounds over my head was easy for me as a 13 year old. I do have a low running speed though(which is an application of str, not dex).
Dex 11 I play video games and participate in karate. Sometimes I spend an action point an pull of something crazy like getting bumped into and catching something I drop before it hits the ground.
Con 9 I can't run very well, and get sick at least once a year.
Int 11 I graduated from university, but it was very much a case of "anybody can graduate if they spend enough time trying"(a phrase my first year economics, an elective, professor used to describe how he got his PhD)
Wis 9 It used to be higher, but I am turning into a real scatterbrain. Really poor spot, and my hearing has been destroyed by loud music
Cha 8(or lower) something about me just rubs people the wrong way

Who do I talk to for a re-roll around here?

Rising Phoenix
2009-05-28, 08:06 AM
Who do I talk to for a re-roll around here?

yourself. ;)

rayne_dragon
2009-05-28, 08:12 AM
STR 7
CON 5
DEX 13
INT 15
WIS 15
CHA 10

As for class I'm something of a cleric/rogue cross... which only works as a first or second edition 1st level character.

Dogmantra
2009-05-28, 08:27 AM
STR: 5-6, I lose instantly at any armwrestles, I can barely lift 15 kg, even on one of those machines that makes it easier, but I'm okay at climbing, which is a STR skill.

DEX: 12-14, I'm alright at most dextrous things, I'm quite good at guitar hero :smalltongue:, which builds manual dexterity... well, a little bit.

CON: 6-8, I'm almost always ill. I have the most sick days off from school out of anyone I know, I can't take a hit, and sometimes, people have jokingly hit me... and hurt me.

INT: 16-18 Ah! excellent! INT, finally. I pick things up really rather quickly, have a large memory, and a massive suppository of useless facts. I also like to blow my own trumpet, it seems.

WIS: 12-ish, I'm reasonably perceptive, but don't have supernatural insight or anything.

CHA: 12-16, this is the hardest to place, but I have got a lot of people who like me, and I'm a pretty convincing liar.

Class: Well, it's pretty obvious, Wizard.

Lost Demiurge
2009-05-28, 09:04 AM
Str: 10
Dex: 10
Con: 8
Int: 12
Wis: 15
Cha: 13

Class: Bureaucrat
Known Feats: Alertness

Baalthazaq
2009-05-28, 09:21 AM
Str: 10
Con: 8
Dex:12
Int: 16
Wis: 14
Cha: 16

That seems about right to me... I think a lot of people are downplaying their stats. It all depends on what you think the numbers mean.

18 means you're smarter than 99.5% of the population, which is rare.
16 though just means you're in the top 5%. I know my IQ places roughly in the top 2% which might even warrant a 17.

I'm not superhuman though... Similarly, an 18 str apparently translates to lifting 300 lbs overhead. I'm fairly sure more than 5 in 1000 people can do that especially considering the world record is over 1000 pounds, putting that particular dude's str at 27.

Eldariel
2009-05-28, 09:40 AM
I...think I've seen this thread before. Many times.

snoopy13a
2009-05-28, 09:44 AM
Str 16
Dex 20
Con 18
Int 18
Wis 18
Chr 18

Why 16 Str and 20 Dex? Because I'm a halfling in RL :smalltongue:

maniakmastah
2009-05-28, 09:59 AM
Hmmmm, sounds fun, i'll give this a shot

Str 13 (not exactly muscular, but my job requires a good amount of heavy lifting and having a strong arm.)

Dex 10 (not necessarily the most graceful of people, or the fastest, but i do have good balance)

Con 16 (in the past 3 years, i've only been sick once. When people or things hit me, i just shrug it, and sometimes am i little surprised by minor cuts and scrapes since i didn't really feel them)

Int 10 (not dumb, but i like learning by being shown what to do and actually doing it than by book learning. Was an average student.)

Wis 13 ( While i may not be the smartest person i know, I like to think i know when something is a bad idea, or pick up on things fairly quickly)

Cha 8 (i'm a nice guy and fairly relaxed, but i ain't exactly one for guile and subterfuge. Too blunt and headstrong for that. I can convince an argument though if i got the stuff to back it up with.)

Race:Human
Class:Barbarian

Vagnarok
2009-05-28, 09:59 AM
I took the quiz that Evil Frosty listed and I got the following character:
You Are A:

Neutral Good Human Sorcerer (4th Level)
Ability Scores:
Strength- 16
Dexterity- 16
Constitution- 14
Intelligence- 15
Wisdom- 15
Charisma- 16

However, If I was to make myself into a character at 1st level, I'd go with something like this:
Neutral Good Human Sorcerer (the test got that part right!)
Str 16 Im a pretty big guy, and I work out 4 or more times a week
Dex 13 I'm pretty coordinated, but I need to see complex tasks a few times before I can replicate them. I draw reasonably well.
Con 12 I can take hits better than some, but my cardiovascular endurance leaves some to be desired.
Int 15 IQ test was administered by my dad's colleague as a kid and it came to 146
Wis 16 Lots of interpersonal relation and psychology studies, lots of life experience
Cha 17 I've always been told that I'm attractive, the photographer for my wedding asked me to be a model.

ScIaDrd
2009-05-28, 10:06 AM
Str:~11-12 People occasionaly compliment on my relatively toned arms an I´m pretty good at arm wrestles.

Dex: 6 Im triparectic (greatly decreased functionnng in my legs and left arm) and more or less cofined to a wheelchair, altough I can walk a little with assistance. I´m dysgraphic too, bleh.

Con :~ 14 have quite a bit of endurence, don´t get sick too often, I can concentrate pretty well too ( if I pass my will saves angaints procrastination, that is.) :smalltongue: I did like 72 crunches in a to-exhaustion-no-time-limit fitness test like a year and a half ago. (But I´dont know if crunches/situps would be dependent on Str or Con)

Int~14 I can acumulate qiute a lot of information and learn quckily. My friends regard me as quite smart and i have twice the reading speed of the rest of my class, no bragging and I´m also quite intrested in psychology physics and history.

Wis-11 I can notice details an irregularities, but I´m quite a serious cloudcuckoolander(yay! TVtropes reference) and I make random motions, twiddle with my thumbs and say random words in various foreign languages ,(English and the bit of Japanese picked ups by watching anime are particulary bad) when I´m not focused at the ,here and now,.

Cha~8-9 I can presuade people, but I´m also a bit unconfortable around strangers. Physically I´m the Mr. Avarage Guy, except for glasses.

lisiecki
2009-05-28, 10:15 AM
Well so far Vagnarok is in the lead. He alone will breed with my daughters, in order to produce GODS!

Snoopy I will leave alone, dealing with her hairy feet is punishment enough for her massive ability scores

It really isn't. I built myself in GURPS once and came in at over 300 points (which was well into superhuman, as I recall). Since then I've learned a hell of a lot, so I shudder to think what kind of galaxy-crushing being I'd be in that system these days. :smalltongue:

Like I said, marginally. And despite the fact that you are, according to 3rd ed scores A GOD, gurps has strict limits to the # of points lowed to people baised on there education/age

But like i said marginally...
You have INT 13 im sure you know what im talking about here

I...think I've seen this thread before. Many times.

Ya, I linked to the version I love the most, people started out slow this time, but the GODS AMONG US are slowing revealing them selves.

Every time i read one of these I see a class room full of people jumping up and down waving there hands saying "I'm a pretty princess" "No, I'm more specialer than you" (sic)
The part i like is that as the thread goes on, the scores will increese untill were at 100point buy.

INT: 16 (But how do I factor in a lack of trying? Hmm...)

W00t Just like i called it.

I HAVE to admit, i find it ADORABLE that with out the background of a "test" people are still putting there INT scores this high, apparently dividing there REAL int scores by 10.

We have MANY people here who are so smart, they have no need to fact check

Int: 14 - pretty smart guy overal, IQ over 130

Normal human (+0) IQ 100-110
Most normal everyday people. You are smart enough to face and enjoy a full life and never get called ‘stupid’.
Above average (+1 to +2)
IQ 120-130/140-150
You are bright, intelligent, well read, clever, and smart. You probably went to college or you are just naturally
clever. Most professionals and graduates may be of this level.
Gifted (+3 to +4)
IQ 160-170/180-190,

Krytha
2009-05-28, 10:23 AM
Here is a quiz thing that will determine what type of character you are. The level is based on your age more or less and it gives you playable characters from what i remember.

http://www.easydamus.com/character.html

And i am apparently a:
Neutral Good Human Cleric (1st Level)

Ability Scores:
Strength- 13
Dexterity- 13
Constitution- 16
Intelligence- 15
Wisdom- 12
Charisma- 12

I got - Lawful Neutral Human Monk (3rd Level)

Ability Scores:
Strength- 11
Dexterity- 14
Constitution- 14
Intelligence- 12
Wisdom- 13
Charisma- 13

lisiecki
2009-05-28, 10:33 AM
I got - Lawful Neutral Human Monk (3rd Level)

Ability Scores:
Strength- 11
Dexterity- 14
Constitution- 14
Intelligence- 12
Wisdom- 13
Charisma- 13

But were not using that quiz this time.
We're deciding the scores that we feel best represent us.
Come in, at INT 12 and WIS 13 you can do better than some automated quiz.

Gaiyamato
2009-05-28, 10:34 AM
Using that link I got:

-------
You Are A:

Lawful Good Elf Paladin/Sorcerer (3rd/2nd Level)

Ability Scores:
Strength- 12
Dexterity- 15
Constitution- 10
Intelligence- 16
Wisdom- 16
Charisma- 14

--------

rofl, sort of works.
I'd definately be happy being those classes. :)

Looking at the breakdown though I could have been any combination of Paladin, Wizard or Sorcerer I'd much rather be a Wizard/sorcerer or Wizard/Paladin. :)

-----------------

Alignment:
Lawful Good ----- XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX (38)
Neutral Good ---- XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX (28)
Chaotic Good ---- XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX (24)
Lawful Neutral -- XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX (28)
True Neutral ---- XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX (18)
Chaotic Neutral - XXXXXXXXXXXXXX (14)
Lawful Evil ----- XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX (20)
Neutral Evil ---- XXXXXXXXXX (10)
Chaotic Evil ---- XXXXXX (6)

Law & Chaos:
Law ----- XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX (18)
Neutral - XXXXXXXX (8)
Chaos --- XXXX (4)

Good & Evil:
Good ---- XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX (20)
Neutral - XXXXXXXXXX (10)
Evil ---- XX (2)

Race:
Human ---- XXXXXXXXXXXXX (13)
Dwarf ---- XXXXXX (6)
Elf ------ XXXXXXXXXXXXXX (14)
Gnome ---- XXXXXX (6)
Halfling - XXXXXXXXXX (10)
Half-Elf - XXXXXXXXXX (10)
Half-Orc - XXXXXX (6)

Class:
Barbarian - (-23)
Bard ------ (-25)
Cleric ---- (-2)
Druid ----- (-17)
Fighter --- (-4)
Monk ------ (-2)
Paladin --- XXXXXX (6)
Ranger ---- (0)
Rogue ----- (-8)
Sorcerer -- XXXXXX (6)
Wizard ---- XXXXXX (6)

lisiecki
2009-05-28, 10:37 AM
Using that link I got:

Oh come on for that boring test we have http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97130&page=13

Come on with INT and Wis like that you can be more accurate than that test :)
And with a charisma that high, you can convince us its true

It makes me sad, all these high INT scores but no one read the OP :(

My friends and I used a new system for getting stats; use our real life stats, converted into D&D terminology. You choose your stats, but have the players who know you adjust them based on their recommendation. So, go ahead and post your own stats. Feel free to ask your friends what they think your stats would be at first level.
p

Krytha
2009-05-28, 10:41 AM
Oh come on for that boring test we have http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97130&page=13

Come on with INT and Wis like that you can be more accurate than that test :)
And with a charisma that high, you can convince us its true

It makes me sad, all these high INT scores but no one read the OP :(

My int score wasn't high enough to remember the whole OP or even understand it completely. Besides, how could I ever compare to all the geniuses who make this forum such an amazing community?

lisiecki
2009-05-28, 10:45 AM
My int score wasn't high enough to remember the whole OP or even understand it completely. Besides, how could I ever compare to all the geniuses who make this forum such an amazing community?

Well, really you can't.
We have in this community, the raw brainpower to cure every disease known to man, halt global warming, and put an end to hunger.
Really the only flaw they have is apparently an complete and utter lack of ability to multitask, as a message board has destroyed there potential to save mankind.
Your forgetting the people in this room who are wiser than the greatest religious minds.
More dexterous than Dame Margot Fonteyn.

ect ect ect

lisiecki
2009-05-28, 10:52 AM
The thing is the OP didnt asked us to ask others what our scores are.

So I ask you, people of the play ground, what are LISIECKI's scores.

Int
Wis
Cha

Those are really the only that you can have a chance to guess from a message board.

Chronos
2009-05-28, 10:56 AM

So, statistically speaking, 1 in 210 people could tie a tug of war with a horse? Or 1 in 210 people could match wits with a mind flayer? Or 1 in 210 people could be hit with a Polar bear sized dose of tranquilizer and not go into cardiac shock?

By that reasoning, the world has 30952 people with superhuman strength, or the same number of people have superhuman intelligence.

That seems really unlikely. I've seen people who could pull buses online. People who could outperform calculators. Olympic gymnasts who can do amazing feats of dexterity. Those people are not common. They are certainly not 1/210. More like 1/2100.

Your theory would equate to almost 3% of the human race being in some way superhuman. Which is far from superhuman at all.1 in 216, actually. The D&D world is based on the assumption that stats are 3d6 (at least for regular people: Heroes are better), so one person in 6^3 will get an 18 in any given stat. And ignoring the fact that pulling buses is in no way even remotely superhuman (I've got a Str of about 5 or 6, and I could do it), people like star Olympic gymnasts are not first-level commoners. An Olympic gymnast is at least 10th level or so, with maxed ranks in Tumble and possibly Perform (Dance), and started off with a natural 18 Dex. An untrained first-level character would need a Dex in the mid-40s to match that, and I think we can all agree that an ability score in the 40s is in fact superhuman.

As for comparing with monsters, remember that those are just the average stats listed for the monsters in the book. So about half of a percent of the human population is smart enough to match up to the average mindflayer. A really smart mindflayer has an Int of 24-26, well outside the range a human can ever possibly reach without magical enhancement.

elliott20
2009-05-28, 10:58 AM
are you saying that if I were to go blow up the server and erase every trace of existence of this board, I'd end up saving the world?

nah, that means I'd have to find some place else to post.

I find it funny that people continuously confuse between their ability score and their skill points. like, why would playing an instrument give you a 16 cha? wouldn't be more intuitive if you just, you know, took two points in perform instead?

seriously people.

I also like how all these guys who claim to have 15+ int still can't figure out basic probability.

Krytha
2009-05-28, 10:59 AM
As for comparing with monsters, remember that those are just the average stats listed for the monsters in the book. So about half of a percent of the human population is smart enough to match up to the average mindflayer. A really smart mindflayer has an Int of 24-26, well outside the range a human can ever possibly reach without magical enhancement.

Luckily for us, that half a percent hangs out here!

lisiecki
2009-05-28, 11:03 AM
1 in 216, actually. The D&D world is based on the assumption that stats are 3d6 (at least for regular people: Heroes are better), so one person in 6^3 will get an 18 in any given stat. And ignoring the fact that pulling buses is in no way even remotely superhuman (I've got a Str of about 5 or 6, and I could do it),

buses weigh 250Lbs?

If your going to use the system to give your self scores, you have to pay attention to what those scores mean.

A school bus weighs between 11 and 14 tons.
A person can drag there max load * 5.
So your at over 29 before you can perform this action

I also like how all these guys who claim to have 15+ int still can't figure out basic probability.

I like that they can't figure out how IQ tests work

Hell, I work with the mentality disabled.
My wife has her DSW

we have MULTIPLE people in the last thread who point to there MULTIPLE IQ tests telling them how smart they are.

There is no reason for a person with an above average IQ to be tested more than once. The ONLY impact that IQ tests have on people, is for those who are one or more SDs BELOW the average, so that they can receive government assistance.

Otherwise, your giving some one $500-700 a pop for, and spending three day's of your life each time, for what, so people will tell you how smart you are?

Weimann
2009-05-28, 11:09 AM
Here's my own estimation:

Strength - 10 (I am rather big, and I think I'm as strong as most that doesn't train a lot)
Dexterity - 9 (No, I'm really not agile, but I don't stumble around either.)
Constitution - 8 (I'm overweight, and I try to fix it but it's so damn hard.)
Intelligence - 12 (I think I can catch concepts and similar rather swiftly.)
Wisdom - 11 (I am still young and very inexperienced. I like to think I can use reason properly, though.)
Charisma - 11 (I handle people well, I hope, but I'm not good at making new contacts or such. People I already know are loads easier.)

As for class... really no idea. I am very feeble minded. Some kind of unholy mix-up of three or four different classes, I reckon :P

Alignment: If I can say it myself, I think Neutral Good. Or Lawful Neutral. It's hard to tell. They mix up. It's hard to determine.

Edit: Here's the result from the test linked above. I took it after I did my own estimation.

You Are A:
True Neutral Human Bard/Sorcerer (1st/1st Level)
Comment: See, dual class. I knew it.

Ability Scores:
Strength- 10
Dexterity- 11
Constitution- 13
Intelligence- 12
Wisdom- 11
Charisma- 12
Comment: These seem to fit with my own estimation, except the CON score, which is a damnable lie. I am evidently out of shape (possibly risking diabetes) and I catch colds and get stomach ache at least a few times a year. And I'm certainly not MORE dexterous than average. -5 CON, -3 DEX, I still say.

Alignment:
True Neutral- A true neutral character does what seems to be a good idea. He doesn't feel strongly one way or the other when it comes to good vs. evil or law vs. chaos. Most true neutral characters exhibit a lack of conviction or bias rather than a commitment to neutrality. Such a character thinks of good as better than evil after all, he would rather have good neighbors and rulers than evil ones. Still, he's not personally committed to upholding good in any abstract or universal way. Some true neutral characters, on the other hand, commit themselves philosophically to neutrality. They see good, evil, law, and chaos as prejudices and dangerous extremes. They advocate the middle way of neutrality as the best, most balanced road in the long run. True neutral is the best alignment you can be because it means you act naturally, without prejudice or compulsion. However, true neutral can be a dangerous alignment because it represents apathy, indifference, and a lack of conviction.
Comment: This I can get behind. I have yet to find any standard to conform to. I generally goes with what seems good at the time, but I do try to keep my actions on the lawful/good side, in a neutral setting.

Race:
Humans are the most adaptable of the common races. Short generations and a penchant for migration and conquest have made them physically diverse as well. Humans are often unorthodox in their dress, sporting unusual hairstyles, fanciful clothes, tattoos, and the like.
Comment: Well, I am a human, so... no, really, I always liked humans in RPG settings. So free of clichés and so formable.

Primary Class:
Bards- Bards often serve as negotiators, messengers, scouts, and spies. They love to accompany heroes (and villains) to witness heroic (or villainous) deeds firsthand, since a bard who can tell a story from personal experience earns renown among his fellows. A bard casts arcane spells without any advance preparation, much like a sorcerer. Bards also share some specialized skills with rogues, and their knowledge of item lore is nearly unmatched. A high Charisma score allows a bard to cast high-level spells.

Secondary Class:
Sorcerers- Sorcerers are arcane spellcasters who manipulate magic energy with imagination and talent rather than studious discipline. They have no books, no mentors, no theories just raw power that they direct at will. Sorcerers know fewer spells than wizards do and acquire them more slowly, but they can cast individual spells more often and have no need to prepare their incantations ahead of time. Also unlike wizards, sorcerers cannot specialize in a school of magic. Since sorcerers gain their powers without undergoing the years of rigorous study that wizards go through, they have more time to learn fighting skills and are proficient with simple weapons. Charisma is very important for sorcerers; the higher their value in this ability, the higher the spell level they can cast.

Comments: Huh, Charisma dependant classes. I'd not have thought. However, the Bard and the Sorcerer does appeal to me in that no preparation is required to cast. I can get behind that combo.

Detailed Results:

Alignment:
Lawful Good ----- XXXXXXXXXXXXXX (14)
Neutral Good ---- XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX (17)
Chaotic Good ---- XXXXXXXXXXX (11)
Lawful Neutral -- XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX (17)
True Neutral ---- XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX (20)
Chaotic Neutral - XXXXXXXXXXXXXX (14)
Lawful Evil ----- XXXXXXXXXX (10)
Neutral Evil ---- XXXXXXXXXXXXX (13)
Chaotic Evil ---- XXXXXXX (7)

Law & Chaos:
Law ----- XXXXXX (6)
Neutral - XXXXXXXXX (9)
Chaos --- XXX (3)

Good & Evil:
Good ---- XXXXXXXX (8)
Neutral - XXXXXXXXXXX (11)
Evil ---- XXXX (4)

Race:
Human ---- XXXXXXXXXXXXXX (14)
Dwarf ---- XXXXXX (6)
Elf ------ XXXXXXXX (8)
Gnome ---- XXXXXXXX (8)
Halfling - XXXXXXXXXX (10)
Half-Elf - XXXXXXXXXX (10)
Half-Orc - XXXX (4)

Class:
Barbarian - (-4)
Bard ------ XXXXXX (6)
Cleric ---- (-2)
Druid ----- (-6)
Fighter --- (-2)
Monk ------ (-23)
Paladin --- (-25)
Ranger ---- XX (2)
Rogue ----- XX (2)
Sorcerer -- XXXXXX (6)
Wizard ---- XXXX (4)

Deepblue706
2009-05-28, 11:22 AM
buses weigh 250Lbs?

If your going to use the system to give your self scores, you have to pay attention to what those scores mean.

A school bus weighs between 11 and 14 tons.
A person can drag there max load * 5.
So your at over 29 before you can perform this action

I don't think Max Drag takes into account things with wheels (I mean, apart from Carts and Wagons, what else has them in D&D?)...STR is also a broad index to determine the general capabilities of people. Just like all of the other attributes.

I mean, what else are you going to do for a gaming system? Apply every last applicable mechanical property to everything you want to do? Oh man, I can't wait to level up my wizard so he can learn "Create Teflon Surface". It'll make sure my coefficients of both Kinetic AND Static friction are lower where I need them!

lisiecki
2009-05-28, 11:34 AM
You know what. Im going to give in for once :).

Lisiecki

BAB: 1
Explanation; A little talent or training.(Police Officer, Gang Member, evening classes in self-defense)

Strength: 10
Explanation; Regular build. You may be strong with a slighter build or have a regular build. That is not to say you look weak. You have a perfectly good physique and your body weight determines whether you appear slim,
or perhaps a little defined.

Dex 10
Explanation; Normal human (+0) Most normal everyday people. You can get through the day and face life’s normal athletic challenges.

Con 10
Explanation; Normal human (+0) Most normal everyday people. You are healthy enough to endure the normal physical stresses of everyday life.

Int 13
Explanation; Above average (+1 to +2) IQ 120-130/140-150
You are bright, intelligent, well read, clever, and smart. clever. Most professionals and graduates may be of this level.

Wisdom 20,
Explanation; I know for a fact that my wisdom isnt 20

Charisma; 13
Explination; its my occupations stat.Gifted Above average (+1 to +2)
You stand out from the crowd as being personable, likable, witty, and persuasive

SilverClawShift
2009-05-28, 11:46 AM
STR: 10
In most aspects of strength I'm very much below average (7 or 8). On the other hand, I run, jump, and climb enough that my legs and back are stronger than someone my size reasonably should be. Call it an average out.
DEX: 15
Not olympic class by any means. But I'm an artist, and I do a lot of free-running. Pretty agile, good balance. Above average in manual dexterity as well as full-body agility
CON: 10
Average human being. Sometimes sick, sometimes not
INT: 14
Above average intelligence, but only just.
WIS: 05
DURR, DURR, THIS SOUNDS LIKE A GOOD IDEA. WHY IT NO WORK?
CHA: 09
I'm not ugly, but I'm delightfully akward. "You want to be alone? Do you want me to come with you whle you're being alone?"

Piedmon_Sama
2009-05-28, 11:49 AM
Outside guesses....

STR: 12 (I work out.... with weights.... I do 3x10 and then 3x8 with 260 and 270 lb. on the squat rack, but my arms are dispoportionately puny so whatever.)

Dex: 7 (I'm kinda a clutz and all my movements are pretty stiff, I probably smash into things and drop what I'm holding at least once a day).

Con: 14 (I run long distance, but used to a lot more frequently than I do now.... it's probably gone down since then. -_-)

Int: 15 (I dunno, if I'm interested in a subject I can learn it pretty rapidly and usually remember what I hear in lectures without taking notes. If I'm not interested though, it's a lot harder).

Wis: 7 (Get lost extremely easily, poor sense of spacial distance, extremely short-tempered, poor impulse control.... this one's kind of obvious.)

Cha: 12 (I make very few friends but that's not so much to do with Charisma. OTOH, I've been told that people tend to either love me or hate me with no middle ground because I speak my mind a lot; and if I'm talking about a subject I'm interested in honestly I can come up with things to say that most people would have to use in a paper).

Omigodydididothissonerdyagh

lisiecki
2009-05-28, 11:53 AM
and if I'm talking about a subject I'm interested in honestly I can come up with things to say that most people would have to use in a paper).

Your ability to know what your talking about, has nothing to do with your charisma.

Zaggab
2009-05-28, 01:21 PM
Str: 8
dex: 8
con: 8
int: 8
wis: 8
cha: 8

Class: Extra

Skills: procrastinate +3, self-loathing +3, stare at walls +3
Feats: Improved laziness, great ineptitude, no-weapon fighting, better unlucky than bad
Flaws: No sense of humour, socially inept

Backstory: Zaggab was created to make other people look good.

Blackjackg
2009-05-28, 01:32 PM
The only ones I can figure with any degree of validity are intelligence and strength.

Int 18. Yeah, I know, I know. Hear me out.

On a sufficiently large number of 3d6 rolls, the scores make a bell curve, with 10.5 as the mean. An 18 comes up (on average) only 1 out of 216 rolls, or a little less than 0.5% of the time. My IQ has been reliably tested using the accepted psychometric tools (i.e., the WISC-III, WAIS-III and WAIS-IV), by professionals trained in their use, at around 145. That puts me well in the top half a percentile.

Str 10. Found that one easier to believe, didn't you?

That's based on the official lifting and carrying capacity rules (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/carryingCapacity.htm#weight). I can get 100 pounds over my head with some difficulty. My strength used to be more like 12 when I was working construction, but I've gotten out of shape since I started grad school.

The others, I can't really do more than guess at. Wisdom is probably <10, as I'm occasionally oblivious and inattentive. Con is probably >10, since I get sick less frequently than most folks I know.

Olo Demonsbane
2009-05-28, 01:48 PM
My easydemus whatever is in my sig. However, using more real-life...

Str 12--I am the best tennis player in my entire school and I beat an entire room of my friends in arm wrestling

Dex 12--I've caught snowballs out of mid air and thrown them back at the origional thrower. Snatch arrows, anyone!

Con 14--I have gotten sick once in the last three years.

Int 18--I know, I know, but, no matter how many IQ tests I took, they could not get a reading on my IQ. I always got 1 less than the maximum on the exam.

Wis 12--People come to me for advice.

Cha 14--I am close friends with half of my entire grade and I am an excellent public speaker.

From this...any comments? Anything too high or low or whatnot? What the Demilich person at the beginning said?

lisiecki
2009-05-28, 01:55 PM
Int 18--I know, I know, but, no matter how many IQ tests I took, they could not get a reading on my IQ. I always got 1 less than the maximum on the exam.

You constantly got an IQ score of 198?

Why would you take an IQ score more than once?

Did you really have the $500-700 laying around and a desire to waste 8 hours a day for 3 days for no appereant reason

How many IQ tests did you take in this fashion exactly?

Dixieboy
2009-05-28, 01:56 PM

Ohshi, you made me :smalleek:

That's a wee bit frightening.

Blackjackg
2009-05-28, 01:59 PM

I'm not sure which IQ tests you're taking, but I've never encountered one (and keep in mind, I'm a doctoral student in psychology, and have taken multiple courses on intelligence testing) that goes higher than 150. And maybe one in a thousand people would score that.

In any case, I think I hate Olo. He's either lying, deluded or one of those guys that makes the rest of us look bad. Given the fact that he seems to be in high school, I'm leaning toward deluded.

lisiecki
2009-05-28, 01:59 PM
The only ones I can figure with any degree of validity are intelligence and strength.

Hear me out.
Benchmarks; Green Ronan games.
and IQ of 145 is +2

Blackjackg
2009-05-28, 02:02 PM
Hear me out.
Benchmarks; Green Ronan games.
and IQ of 145 is +2

Don't know it, never read it. I just do the math.

And you probably mean Green Ronin. :smallwink:

lisiecki
2009-05-28, 02:06 PM
Don't know it, never read it. I just do the math.

And you probably mean Green Ronin. :smallwink:

You just did what math?

You decided your Int score biased on your skill point bonus at each level, or the number of bonus arcane spells you get?

Blackjackg
2009-05-28, 02:12 PM
You just did what math?

You decided your Int score biased on your skill point bonus at each level, or the number of bonus arcane spells you get?

Reprinted from my first post above.

On a sufficiently large number of 3d6 rolls, the scores make a bell curve, with 10.5 as the mean. An 18 comes up (on average) only 1 out of 216 rolls, or a little less than 0.5% of the time. My IQ has been reliably tested using the accepted psychometric tools (i.e., the WISC-III, WAIS-III and WAIS-IV), by professionals trained in their use, at around 145. That puts me well in the top half a percentile.

Int 18 = 99.5th %ile rank.
IQ 145 = 99.5th %ile rank.
IQ 145 = Int 18
Give or take half a percent.

Vagnarok
2009-05-28, 02:15 PM
Well so far Vagnarok is in the lead. He alone will breed with my daughters, in order to produce GODS!
Even with a positive reading on my sarcasm detector I still lol'd. This time I actually tried to be conservative with my scores, as the last time I posted my stats they were probably too high. Even if you think my scores inaccurate, that's fine. If you really care about it you can drive to MN and meet me for yourself ;)

OR I could get a business card that reads: Vagnarok- Good at Everything with a list of my physical specs and give it out to everyone that I meet. That way there will be no confusion.

lisiecki
2009-05-28, 02:17 PM
Reprinted from my first post above.
Int 18 = 99.5th %ile rank.
IQ 145 = 99.5th %ile rank.
IQ 145 = Int 18
Give or take half a percent.

Im still confused as to how Int=IQ?
The Benchmarks supplement is the only thing I've ever seen that imply its true.

Still if your going to back this with "Math" shouldn't the math you use, be math that uses the infromation given in the SRD?

Whats your Int in a point buy world?

shadzar
2009-05-28, 02:23 PM
Divide IQ by 10 for INT.

I am curious about these IQ tests that only go up to 150 because myself scoring 146 on those I took don't seem to mean they go high enough if they just stop at 150.

For my math I am using Flowers for Algernon as the basis for IQ<->INT conversions.

I will withhold myself as a character until there is a clear way to pick the proper INT/WIS for the purpose of this thread.

:smallsmile:

lisiecki
2009-05-28, 02:26 PM
For my math I am using Flowers for Algernon as the basis for IQ<->INT conversions.

O.K.

Explain that one to me

Soniku
2009-05-28, 02:26 PM
Alright I'll give it a go.

Str: 8, avarage for a generic person today I think
Dex: 8/12, Depending on what we're going on. I'm pretty clumbsy but a good shot with guns and bows so maybe that makes me a 10.
Con: 6. I have chronic fatigue syndrome. Previous to this I was quite a good endurance runner/hiker so I'd say about 12 then but now, 6.
Int: 13, if we're going by the IQ/10 method my IQ is about 130
Wis: 11/14, I've been told I'm perceptive and have a very good intuition (scaring people with unnaturally accurate tarot readings and the like) but I'm still sure it's dumb luck. 11 or 14 depends on which of these is the case.
Cha: 9, very slightly below avarage due to a very slight verbal tic and refusing to have a 10 in anything.

Class: NEET

Class abilities: Sleep all day, browse internet

Hmm... looking at my stats maybe I should take my next level in druid or wizard.

Blackjackg
2009-05-28, 02:31 PM
Im still confused as to how Int=IQ?
The Benchmarks supplement is the only thing I've ever seen that imply its true.

Still if your going to back this with "Math" shouldn't the math you use, be math that uses the infromation given in the SRD?

Whats your Int in a point buy world?

I was operating under the assumption that an Intelligence stat represents the same construct that an IQ test measures in the real world. It is a bit of a leap, I admit, but I am far from the first to make it.

Given that the SRD doesn't list methods of generating ability scores (at least not where I'd expect to find it), I don't really have anything to hang my math on. I was assuming that, in a standard D&D world, the general populace's ability scores would be on the bell curve that is a sampling distribution of the means of 3d6.

In a point-buy world, my int would still probably be in the 17-18 range, if for no other reason than that my other scores seem to be pretty average.

I am curious about these IQ tests that only go up to 150 because myself scoring 146 on those I took don't seem to mean they go high enough if they just stop at 150.

The tests I'm referring to are the Wechsler Adult Intelligence Scale (WAIS) and Wechsler Intelligence Scale for Children (WISC), which are the industry standard for objective intelligence testing in North America.

Deepblue706
2009-05-28, 02:37 PM
I was operating under the assumption that an Intelligence stat represents the same construct that an IQ test measures in the real world. It is a bit of a leap, I admit, but I am far from the first to make it.

Given that the SRD doesn't list methods of generating ability scores (at least not where I'd expect to find it), I don't really have anything to hang my math on. I was assuming that, in a standard D&D world, the general populace's ability scores would be on the bell curve that is a sampling distribution of the means of 3d6.

What about people who are Venerable? They can have 21 INT.

Middle Aged: +1 to mentals
Old: +2 to mentals
Venerable: +3 to mentals

lisiecki
2009-05-28, 02:39 PM
Divide IQ by 10 for INT.
:

Don't question him
Hes smarter than us

Blackjackg
2009-05-28, 02:42 PM
Don't question him
Hes smarter than us

Have I said something to upset you? You seem to be taking this whole thing kind of personally.

shadzar
2009-05-28, 02:49 PM
O.K.

Explain that one to me

Have you read the book? It would be easier to explain it if you have.

The tests I'm referring to are the Wechsler Adult Intelligence Scale (WAIS) and Wechsler Intelligence Scale for Children (WISC), which are the industry standard for objective intelligence testing in North America.

If it only goes to 150 and I scored 146 on it, then it HAS TO BE flawed. The range must be too small.

Don't question him
Hes smarter than us

See above response.

lisiecki
2009-05-28, 02:53 PM
Have you read the book? It would be easier to explain it if you have.

Nope, can you dumb it down enough for me to figure it out?

Camiyal Nocturn
2009-05-28, 03:00 PM
Lets see...

Strength - 11-12. Lower now since I stopped working as an electrician.
Dex - 12. Pretty nimble despite my size and Im good with my hands.
Con - 14. I have a lot of staying power and I hardly ever get sick beyond minor head colds.
Int - 10-11. Pretty average, but Im far from dumb.
Wis - 7. >_> Yeah, were arent going there.
Cha - 16. I have friends...well more like sycophants. Lots of them. But I cant get them to go away for the life of me.

Leicontis
2009-05-28, 03:02 PM
Str 8, Dex 12, Con 8, Int 15, Wis 12, Cha 10
Alignment: LN or LG
Class: Monk
Feats: Improved Unarmed Strike, Improved Grapple, Education, Great Fortitude
Skills: Survival 4, Knowledge (Metallurgy) 4, Knowledge (Materials) 4, Knowledge (Engineering) 4, Balance 1, Climb 1, Knowledge (Geology) 2, Use Rope 1, Knowledge (Mathematics) 2, Knowledge (Computers) 1, Swim 4

d13
2009-05-28, 03:14 PM
Str: 6- xD.

Seriously. I suck at anything strength-related xD.

Dex: ~16.

* I'd dare to say "Perfect Eye-Hand coordination"
* Darn good aiming skills.
* Pretty good tumbling skills and the such.
* Other goodies of which I'm proud.
I can't lift my own body in a horizontal bar more than 3 or 4 times, though... Blame that 6 str xD.

Con: ~12.

Healthy guy, but nothing too spectacular.

Int: I think it's unmeasurable. My buddies say that I'm like 14 or 15 :smalleek:

Wis: Enough to have a positive modifier.

Cha: 15+
...Intimidate... check'd... Bluff... check'd... Diplomacy... more than check'd...
Morale inspiring... I'd say that quite check'd.
I'm that fifth (support) guy that every party's looking for (?).

Classes:
Gestalt Fighter/Swashbuckler // Bard/Marshal
No multiclassing (?)

Feats: Weapon Finesse [Bonus], Skill Focus (Diplomacy) [Bonus], Run, Iron Will [Fighter Bonus], Dodge [Fighter Bonus], Point Blank Shot, Precise Shot.

Trained Skills: Balance, Tumble, Concentration, Listen, Spot, Sense Motive, Diplomacy, Perform (Guitar), Perfom (Piano/Keyboard), Perform (Singing).

And maybe something else (?)

I've been D&Dfied!

shadzar
2009-05-28, 03:32 PM
Nope, can you dumb it down enough for me to figure it out?

:smallamused:

IT isn't a hard story, but many years sicne I read it. The guy was an experimental case for IQ treament to raise IQs the same as they do with lab rats.

He went form a range of IQs. The one he started with before the experiment being able to perform daily life tasks, to much higher than the person who was helping him learn things in his job, like reading. So from ended up smarter than his friend he fell hard to a lower IQ than what he started after the experiments unable to even come to work. Prior to him dying.

The range of IQ concepts in there and how they were described is what I work off of.

80-100 somewhere in there was said to be the average IQ.

Taking D&D it was said that average INT was 8, slightly higher than average 9-10.

So divide IQ by ten and get a close approximation that is good enough is how I base real world things to it in terms of IQ<->INT.

STR actually has a range of what you can lift/pull/etc so it is much easier to figure.

Don't even ask me how to figure real world WIS for D&D. :smalleek::smallconfused:

Blackjackg
2009-05-28, 03:45 PM
80-100 somewhere in there was said to be the average IQ.

Taking D&D it was said that average INT was 8, slightly higher than average 9-10.

In the real world, IQ is best represented on a normal curve, with a mean of 100 and a standard deviation of 15. What this means is that something like 68% of people fall between 85-115. About 95% fall between 70-130. The further you get out toward either side, the less likely you are to see scores. So a score of 146 is extremely unusual, about as uncommon as a score of 54.

At least, that's how it works with the tests I've mentioned. Other intelligence tests may score differently. So a raw score from any given test doesn't mean anything. What you need to know is the mean and standard deviation, or at least a percentile rank to see where you stand. Statistics. They're awesome. :smallconfused:

In D&D, assuming the 3d6 stat generation that has been with the game since the beginning, the mean is 10.5. I don't know the standard deviation off-hand, but it's easy enough to calculate if you've got time. In the 3.x editions, the fact that an average score is 10.5 is reflected in the fact that 10 and 11 both have a modifier of 0.

Anyway, statistically speaking, it's possible that an Int score is equal to an IQ score divided by ten, but you'd need an IQ test that has a mean of 100 (or better yet, 105) and a standard deviation of ten times (whatever the standard deviation on 3d6 is).

shadzar
2009-05-28, 04:01 PM
Huh? :smallconfused:

woodenbandman
2009-05-28, 04:02 PM
Considering that the average value of a standard human is between 8 and 12, I'll rank myself like so:

Strength 10
Dex 9
Con 9
Int 15
Wis 10
Cha 12(in arguing situations) or 8(in social situations)

In DnD world:

Strength 10
Dex10
Con10
Int 22 (I'd be gray elf and level 8)
Wis 14
Cha 16

woodenbandman
2009-05-28, 04:03 PM

Well, by that math, me too. I'm like +4 standard deviationss or so.

lisiecki
2009-05-28, 04:05 PM
Int 22 (I'd be gray elf and level 8)

You'd be level 8, at 1st level?

Baalthazaq
2009-05-28, 04:49 PM
The idea that everyone rolls their stats on 3D6 in a DnD world is reasonable.
Is this wrong?

If you are in the top 2% in this world, you should be in the top 2% in a DnD world too (assuming Human race).
Is there something wrong here?

If both of the above are correct, then it is perfectly reasonable to put your int as 18 if you fit in the top 0.46% of the population.

If you are in the top:

99.54% you are a 4
98.15% you are a 5
95.37% you are a 6
90.74% you are a 7
83.80% you are an 8
74.07% you are a 9
62.50% you are a 10
50.00% you are an 11
37.50% you are a 12
25.93% you are a 13
16.20% you are a 14
9.26% you are a 15
4.63% you are a 16
1.85% you are a 17
0.46% you are an 18

Draz74
2009-05-28, 04:51 PM
- That's not actually how probabilities work. In a group of 210 people each having a 1/210 chance of having an 18, there's more than a 1/3 chance none will have one.
Yeah, I was being sloppy with my wording. By "statistically," I meant "on average." I know, it's not really the same thing.

Note, however, that there's also a chance that more than one person will have an 18.

Oh, and also that, out of the 216 forum posters who I mentioned (and assuming they're a completely average group of 216), there is also one person with a 3 Intelligence, and a 3 Dexterity, and so forth.

- You're assuming that everyone in the world rolls 3d6 for stats. Isn't that just the "heroes"?
No, not in 3e. Heroes use 4d6-drop-lowest. The standard NPC array (8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13) is a pretty normal result for roll-3d6-each-stat. Just like heroes don't always have the elite array when they actually do 4d6-drop-lowest, NPCs don't always end up with the exact same blah with their theoretical 3d6.

The rules don't actually say that 3d6 is the normal distribution for ability scores, but the rules of past editions, plus the spread of the "typical" NPC array, imply it pretty strongly.

Sorry it was actually supposed to be 216. 1/216 is one-sixth, cubed; or the chance of rolling an 18 with 3d6.

Yep ... come on now, don't act so surprised. It's not exactly the first time that applying D&D rules to real life has given us screwy results.

Besides, you're making some other pretty big assumptions. I'd imagine that tug of war would be handled similarly to Trips or Bull Rushes, and therefore that a horse would get a +4 size bonus. The tranquilizer should be a Fortitude save, in which case the polar bear's Hit Dice give him a +6 base bonus, independent of Constitution, which low-level humans certainly can't match.

You undershot by a factor of a thousand. Anyway, isn't an 18, by definition, not "superhuman"? 19 maybe.

And I don't really have a problem with the idea that about 30 million of the worlds inhabitants have 18 Intelligence (or any other score). Sounds about right to me.

I can offer three explanations to this off the top of my head:

1) Those aren't actually ability checks. Olympic gymnastics are definitely skill checks, not just based on physical ability scores (and certainly not just Dexterity).

2) Those people are Level 4+, and have boosted their scores to 19s.

3) Maybe, just maybe, D&D rules don't actually simulate reality very well. :smalltongue: Heck, some of the people who can outperform calculators are idiot savants, who clearly have low Intelligence by some other measures of Intelligence. Yeah, translating "ability scores" into real life is bound to bring up a LOT of contradictions, no matter what distribution you use, if you think about it too much.

Flickerdart
2009-05-28, 05:11 PM
I'd peg myself as...
9 STR
10 DEX
14 CON
15 INT
9 WIS
9 CHA

Human Paladin 1
Flaw: Murky-Eyed
Feat: Resist Disease
Feat: Skill Focus (Craft: Design)
Feat: Skill Focus (Concentration)

For everyone who's measuring INT, remember also that you start with a bonus language for every +1...if you only know English, sorry, you're an 11...at best.

lisiecki
2009-05-28, 05:26 PM
3) Maybe, just maybe, D&D rules don't actually simulate reality very well. :smalltongue: Heck, some of the people who can outperform calculators are idiot savants, who clearly have low Intelligence by some other measures of Intelligence. Yeah, translating "ability scores" into real life is bound to bring up a LOT of contradictions, no matter what distribution you use, if you think about it too much.

Except for Bono.
He's a level 20 bard

Dixieboy
2009-05-28, 05:38 PM
Str: 11 (Former boxer, out of shape, but i can still lift my entire family at a time)
Dex: 7 (I drop things... a lot, i do fencing, yet, i can't hold on to a cup :smallredface:)
Con: 9 (I can take a hit, former boxer, i never get sick, but i tire very easily (Out of shape))
Wis: 10 (Short attention span, but quite wise and sensible)
Int: 16 (My IQ is 176 according to one test, 89 according to another, i'll go with the higher one :smallbiggrin: )
Cha: 9 (Meh)

Class: D0rk

Class abilities: Procrastination of homework, Luck at Exams, Bardic knowledge.

Haven
2009-05-28, 06:36 PM
Str 10
Con 8
Dex 12
Int 16
Wis 14
Cha 3

Erring a little on the positive side. But the rest are moot due to the lack of CHA, which makes me very nearly an inanimate object. Like most of us, I get around that by abusing circumstance bonuses--well-dressed, +2; relevant knowledge check (aka "zomg you like X too!?"), +2; and so on. But eventually I get in a situation where they don't apply, and, yeah.

...I think I prefer what The Test gave me. 19 intelligence? Level 4 ranger? Elf? I can get behind that :smallamused:

Josh the Aspie
2009-05-28, 06:59 PM
The statistical analysis so far is, of course, assuming that there are no biases in the sub-community represented on this forum, such as there not being a larger percentage of well studied and well read here than in the general world-wide population, or that people that post here are no more likely to be socially inept than in real life.

-----

Well, there are other systems that represent me better (BESM, Spycraft, D20 modern, Gurps), but let's give it a try.

Strength: It has gone down a bit since my former prime, when I kicked an instructor, braced by 2 other students, through a wall, however I am able to lift myself into the air by pressing down on the arm rests of a chair, and hold myself there easily. I am unable to go from a hand-stand into a verticle pushup. Given that my weight is at around 240, this puts my strength somewhere between 130, and 16

Dex: Unsure. I have little skill at ranged aiming, and have relatively slow reaction times in full speed combat (working to improve both of these). I do, however, have a naturally high ability to balance, and am somewhat talented with tumbling. First time I got on a horse, I had no fear of falling unless the horse bolted, and am somewhat naturally stealthy. I'd say 12-14

Con: Requires split attributes, or traits to weaken my fort save. I am very often sick. I have only gotten to the point that I -could not- go to work once since I graduated from college, but I have often chose not too, in order to be kind to my body. On the other hand, I am very durable to outside damage. In a contest between me and a non-stone wall, I win.

Intelligence: 18. While it was by no means a rigorous test, a rather lengthy internet IQ test judged my logic-only IQ at over 200. I have also scored above 140 at the tests I took while in school. Given that in D&D terms, humans have no racial adjustments, it can go no higher. However, given that I am far from neurologically typical, there is a possibility that I have some sort of variant or trait involved that would push it higher.

As for why I have not cured cancer? Damnit, I'm an Engineer, not a doctor! My skills create and improve tools that are used by others in their work. Without engineers, you would have no Gene study, no MRIs, etc.

Wisdom: Requires a variant available in 2nd editon where you are able to split traits. I have very little of what others call 'common sense' because I see much of it as foolishness. I have heard people claim 'common sense' for entirely opposing view points. I also have very little intuitive understanding of social mores, codes, and how people can think they way they can. (Women who are so insecure as to ask 'does this make my butt look big', for example). On the other hand, I understand things that surprise people. For example, in many cases I can intuite things that women think men are unable to understand (and, given the other males in the area, are usually right about). I have also been told that I am mature and wise beyond my years in many areas. I'd say 8 / 16 depending on the aspect of Wisdom, and your perspective.

Charisma: 12-14
People either generally really like me, or really dislike me. Either way, they have very strong opinions about me. I am usually able to make people laugh (or groan in a way that is still generally pleasing to do) with my comedy, I am often looked on as one of (but not the) most skilled roleplayers in our local groups. That honor belongs to a Grognard who's been with the hoby since around when it started, and talks people into doing things for him when they very much don't want to... for a living.

Alignment: NG - I personally believe that -some- amount of rules are necessary for any large group of people to get along well together. The purpoise of laws in any good soceity is to protect the rights of the people, by impinging on as few other rights as possible. I.e. Make as many laws as possible, and follow the ones that have to be made, and everything will work better. If a law is stupid, beaurocratic, and archaic, I break it if necessary, or extremely more convenient. I also have no respect for authority by default, only for the system of laws the authority figure is attempting to enforce. My job pays me to use my time as they dirrect, and follow their rules. I do so, but that does not mean I feel 1 Iota of respect for a beaurocratic pencil pusher who has no real thoughts of my well being in mind that they place over me as a 'leader'.

My kind of Law/Chaos neutral isn't the apathetic neutral, it's the ambivilent one.

I do many things for altruistic reasons, and have been told many times that I need to be concerned about my own life more. Simple.

Class: Bard. Psionic Bard Varient (needs homebrew), also possibly Sage Varient.

I have bardic knowldge. Period. No, really. Any time someone brings up ANY topic, I have a strong chance of knowing -something- about it.

I have also been in quiors, and have been a Soloist at one of my churches, where I made people cry with the emotion in my song.

I also have exibited psychich phenomonon, and have some control of my Chi. (See more below)

Feats:
Unarmed Strike - I have a purple belt in Tae Kwon Do, and have studied Tai Chi for over a year with 3 different instructors, one of whom is the most renouned in the area of the country, and another of which (only really a week long study) is internationally renouned.

My instructor for Tae Kwon Do was an 8th degree black belt, and also a doctor.

Jack of All Trades: I enjoy learning how to do just a little bit of EVERYTHING

Skills:
Knowledge: Mathematic: 4 ranks
Knowledge: Engineering: 4 Ranks
Craft (Software): 4 Ranks
Craft (Computer): 4

I can install Windows or Linux, I can build a PC from the comercial components up, and I can wire together an embeded system of my own design, as well as program a firmware layer for it.

I have a Bachelors Degree with a Major in Computer Engineering, and a Second Major in Mathematics. For those that don't know, that also implies that I have nearly as many Computer Science courses as a Computer Science major. I have further trained since leaving college.

Profession: Beurocracy - 4 ranks. >.<

Knowledge (Games): 3 Ranks
Perform (Acting): 3 Ranks - Besides the above, I have also been in plays.
Perform (Singing): 2-3 Ranks
Perform (Comedy): 2 Ranks
Peform (Dance): 2 Ranks
Craft (Cooking): 2 Ranks - I inherit training worth half a rank to a rank and a half from two different cooking traditions, and have further self trained.
Heal: 1-2 Ranks - I am trained in Adult and Child CPR, First aid, AED use, and Acupressure. I have been asked to give treatments to others when they are in pain.
Sense Motive: 2-3 Ranks - I have learned much about understanding the motives of others.
Bluff: 0 - Newp. I lie like a chandalier.
Diplomacy: ... subjective. I am able to settle disputes, and reason people into seeing another point of view often. I am also able to haggle fairly well. I'd say... 2-3 ranks
Craft (Sewing): 1 Rank. - I am trained, not just a dabbler, but my training is not extensive.
Decypher Script: 2-3 Ranks: I enjoy puzzles, including Crytogaphic ones. There are also some languages that I am not familiar enough with to be able to fully speak it, or understand it to any real degree when listening, but when puzzling over text of another language, I can sometimes intuite part of it's meaning.

Balance 2-4
Tumble 1-2

Knowledge Nature: 1-2 ranks
Survival: 1-2 ranks

Languages: English, several computer programming languages.

Traits:
Stout (alluded to above)
NearSighted

lisiecki
2009-05-28, 07:06 PM
Intelligence: 18. While it was by no means a rigorous test, a rather lengthy internet IQ test judged my logic-only IQ at over 200.

Sorry Vagnarok,

We're back to IQ scores that cant actually be achieved by IQ tests.
Josh is in the lead.

Josh the Aspie
2009-05-28, 07:19 PM
Yaknow what? Never mind.

Dogmantra
2009-05-28, 07:30 PM
Scores of 200, and suchlike, can be achieved with tests, just not neccessarily the standard tests, which assume that you're within a certain percentile (and that percentile is pretty large, something like 99%). You need a specialised test if you're higher.

lisiecki
2009-05-28, 07:35 PM
... Interesting.

Are you aware that IQ stands for "Intelligence Quotient"? And that this number originally measured by finding your 'mental age' and then dividing it by your chronological age? By the original measure, an IQ of 200 represents someone being as knowledgeable and as skilled with logic and problem solving as someone twice their age.

Nope

I thought it was referencing English Curry

Blackjackg
Who's a shrink and says they max out at 150 doesn't know either.

Now he is right. 150 is in the 99.9999999999999999999999999999999999999th percentile.
and with a standered deviation of intelligent qoutants being 15 you are
fully three stranded deviations to the right, of the right most part of the bell curve.

I dono, I DON'T have an IQ of over 200.
Although according to every bit of documentation on this form of testing, you are, quite possibly, the smartest person to have ever lived (This isnt sarcasm, if your IQ is above 200, then you really, really are)

Dogmantra
2009-05-28, 07:36 PM
I dono, I DON'T have an IQ of over 200.
Although according to every bit of documentation on this form of testing, you are, quite possibly, the smartest person to have ever lived (This isnt sarcasm, if your IQ is above 200, then you really, really are)

Please note: the 200 was just for logic only IQ. His general IQ was around 140.

lisiecki
2009-05-28, 07:39 PM
Please note: the 200 was just for logic only IQ. His general IQ was around 140.

On an online test

Faulty
2009-05-28, 07:40 PM
Master's degree in a non-arts field of study

Hey, screw you buddy. Arts degrees require a lot of intelligence. Smarts include critical thinking, you know. :smallannoyed: Also, you can be smart and not get a masters, or average and get one. This is me guessing my stats without consulting anyone else.

STR 9
DEX 9
CON 9
INT 17*
WIS 12**
CHA 14 or 15

*155 IQ.
** I'd probably have an inattentive trait or some such thing. My Spot, Listen and Search are probably in the gutter but I'm good at observing and noticing things in social situations, I'm good at examining situations, etc.

Shadowbane
2009-05-28, 07:45 PM
Using that other thread...

Str: 14 (I work out)

Dex: 10.

Constitution: 12

Int: 32. Yes, I know, it's waaaaay too high. I have 160 IQ. I think it's wrong, but I haven't retaken it so I don't know. >.> I'm just going to use it for the hell of it, ok?

Wisdom: 16.77 which I round up to 17.

Charisma: 16. I'm a influential member of several different groups and have many friends that trust me implicitly. I also seem to be able to diffuse most bad situations, with a little work. I hold many leadership positions in my work (music) so I guess my score should be fairly high.

I would appreciate it if someone could find a different way for me to calculate my Int.

lisiecki
2009-05-28, 07:51 PM
Using that other thread...
Int: 32. Yes, I know, it's waaaaay too high. I have 160 IQ. I think it's wrong, but I haven't retaken it so I don't know. >.> I'm just going to use it for the hell of it, ok?

Ya...

Thank god that ones just absured.

a 32 is impossible with in the rule system at level 1

Olo Demonsbane
2009-05-28, 08:12 PM

The tests had maximums of 140, 140, and 165. I got 139, 139 (they tried another to see if it was a fluke), and 164.

Why would you take an IQ score more than once?
Did you really have the $500-700 laying around and a desire to waste 8 hours a day for 3 days for no appereant reason

I had too, I was trying to get into this school :smalltongue:

How many IQ tests did you take in this fashion exactly?

In any case, I think I hate Olo. He's either lying, deluded or one of those guys that makes the rest of us look bad. Given the fact that he seems to be in high school, I'm leaning toward deluded.

:smallfrown: I was not trying to lie, be deluded (though no one usually is), or be one of those guys. I am in high school...but I was assuming this was "by age". Like if you somehow were a 5 year old on the forums, and you were a really smart 5 year old, you might have a 14 instead of an 8. Otherwise, I think you may need to lower my scores a point or two. I am sorry if my post offended you or anything :smallfrown::smallredface::smalltongue:

Berserk Monk
2009-05-28, 08:15 PM
myself:

str:10
con:14
dex:16
int:14
wis:13
cha:13

Chronos
2009-05-28, 08:34 PM
buses weigh 250Lbs?

If your going to use the system to give your self scores, you have to pay attention to what those scores mean.I didn't mean that, according to D&D rules, a person with 6 str can pull a bus. I mean that in the real world, I could pull a bus, and in the real world, I'm an absolute weakling. It's just really really easy to pull a bus.

And just a friendly reminder to everyone that there's no such thing as an online IQ test. You'll find things online that claim to be IQ tests, but most of them are insanely hyperinflated (as in, they'd give a supposedly above-average score to a blind dyslexic monkey), and even the ones that try to be honest don't have enough data to test properly.

Quoth Shadowbane:
Int: 32. Yes, I know, it's waaaaay too high. I have 160 IQ. I think it's wrong, but I haven't retaken it so I don't know. >.> I'm just going to use it for the hell of it, ok?Even if we grant for the sake of argument that you do have a 160 IQ, that equates to an Int score of about 22, not 32. 160 is four standard deviations above the average, and 3d6 has a standard deviation of a little less than 3.

lisiecki
2009-05-28, 08:51 PM
And just a friendly reminder to everyone that there's no such thing as an online IQ test. You'll find things online that claim to be IQ tests, but most of them are insanely hyperinflated (as in, they'd give a supposedly above-average score to a blind dyslexic monkey), and even the ones that try to be honest don't have enough data to test properly.

Oh thats not even true. You dont NEED a therapist for anything.
I find that much like an online IQ test replaces a real one, a magic 8 ball replaces an hour a week on the sofa

Blackjackg
2009-05-28, 09:07 PM
:smallfrown: I was not trying to lie, be deluded (though no one usually is), or be one of those guys. I am in high school...but I was assuming this was "by age". Like if you somehow were a 5 year old on the forums, and you were a really smart 5 year old, you might have a 14 instead of an 8. Otherwise, I think you may need to lower my scores a point or two. I am sorry if my post offended you or anything :smallfrown::smallredface::smalltongue:

Don't sweat it, dude. I was intentionally messing with you. I do that from time to time.

However, your post just made me realize something that screws up my whole IQ test theory: IQ tests are age-normed. D&D stats are not. In other words, a six-year-old child is every bit as likely to score a 125 on an IQ test as a 30-year-old adult. Because scores and percentiles are generated by comparing the subject to people of the same age.

D&D ability scores, on the other hand, change with age. As is evidenced by static values like lifting capacity, and the fact that mental scores go up when folks change age categories. Now, while we can safely assume that D&D scores are "normed" for young adults, since that's what most adventurer-types are. Nevertheless, I now consider my theory debunked. Dang.

Josh the Aspie
2009-05-28, 09:14 PM
On an online test

Yes. On an online test, it came back as 220, and as they are often unreliable, I qualified the result, by giving the detracting information.

Also, above, I was in a hurry, and neglected to mention that the full original formula was:

Your mental age as indicated by your test / your chronological age x 100.

And I have not been tested for several years. I have just looked up the current standardized testing, and the standard deviation is much much smaller than on the tests I took when I was younger, including the online test. By modern standards I fully expect I would not test at 200, even on a logic only test. This is especially true since I have been stuck in a job for 2 years that has been nothing but beaurocratic non-sense, but pays well, and has good benefits, and continually held out the carrot of training (never received any that was worth while), paying for further college (unless they screw me over by sticking me a job I'm not qualified for, then judging my performance poorly based on that, as they did), and the chance at a technical job where I might be able to improve the world by working it.

So no, I don't have an intelligence that would score a 200 on the IQ tests -you- are talking about. However, be aware that that is not the format that intelligence tests have always taken.

raptor1056
2009-05-28, 09:16 PM
Hey, screw you buddy. Arts degrees require a lot of intelligence. Smarts include critical thinking, you know. :smallannoyed: Also, you can be smart and not get a masters, or average and get one. This is me guessing my stats without consulting anyone else.

STR 9
DEX 9
CON 9
INT 17*
WIS 12**
CHA 14 or 15

*155 IQ.
** I'd probably have an inattentive trait or some such thing. My Spot, Listen and Search are probably in the gutter but I'm good at observing and noticing things in social situations, I'm good at examining situations, etc.

And Craft is an Int based skill. So bya.
EDIT: And for the guy saying he has an IQ of 190 something, that would put you within 6 IQ points of Stephen Hawking. By the way, solved the universe lately? (exaggeration)

lisiecki
2009-05-28, 09:16 PM
So no, I don't have an intelligence that would score a 200 on the IQ tests -you- are talking about. However, be aware that that is not the format that intelligence tests have always taken.

No, there pretty much always done by a therapist

Josh the Aspie
2009-05-28, 09:27 PM
First of all, no, they were not.

In most cases they were administered by Psychologists, or their assistants. That is a far cry from all of them being given by 'therapists'.

I have stated that the online test is NOT the best measure. I have agreed with you there. It is, however, the most recent one I had. The last formal test I had was in grade school, and thus is hardly likely to be accurate any more, and I don't recall the results. Thus, the score I gave was the best available data. Would you rather I said "I'm smart because I say so, nya nya"?

That isn't what I was talking about.

The range of scores on the tests that several people have addressed here are not the only range of scores to ever be used, or ever be valid.

Wafflecart
2009-05-28, 09:28 PM
Here's how I would stat myself, this is probably horribly innacurate...

Str: 14
Dex: 8
Con: 13
Int: 12
Wis: 7
Cha: 13

Str, I am somewhat fit, and weightlift occasionally, I think I am worthy of a full 14...Dex, clumsy as hell, 8 if anything is an overstatement, I have trouble with stairs, and I can not stand for long with my eyes closed because I lose my balance and fall down...Con, I can endure fairly well I think...Int, I think I'm kinda smart, if Int is to do with common sense I'd say I'm above average...Wis, I forget EVERYTHING, I have forgotten my own birthday before, on the day of my birthday...Charisma, when I feel like it, I can be charismatic...

Not sure what this can add up to...I'm sure I exhibit a couple flaws, lemme find them...can't find where flaws are from...anyway probably a Bard, or a melee Fighter, or perhaps a sorcerer, doubtful, but maybe....

I like Bard...Not sure on oratory or stringed instruments (guitar or violin).

Blackjackg
2009-05-28, 09:31 PM
Your mental age as indicated by your test / your chronological age x 100.

That doesn't really make sense. Take the case of Bob, who has always been a little ahead of the pack. His mental age has always been about one year ahead of his actual age. Let's test him at age three

100(4/3) = 133.33

And again at age seven (mental age eight).

100(8/7) = 114.29

And age 11

100(12/11) = 109.09

Age 40

100(41/40) = 102.5

And so on.

IQ, barring brain injury and other things of that nature, stays more or less consistent throughout life. But by your equation, someone who is of above average intelligence gets a lower IQ score every year. The further ahead they are, the more pronounced the effect. If someone is a little behind, their IQ improves over time.

lisiecki
2009-05-28, 09:32 PM
First of all, no, they were not.

In most cases they were administered by Psychologists, or their assistants. That is a far cry from all of them being given by 'therapists'.

My WORD, your so right. Its... Its... all so clear to me now
Psychologists AREN'T therapists

a person trained in the use of psychological methods for helping patients overcome psychological problems.

Also, ther⋅a⋅peu⋅tist  /ˌθɛrəˈpyutɪst/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [ther-uh-pyoo-tist] Show IPA . a person, as a doctor, skilled in therapeutics

I have stated that the online test is NOT the best measure. I have agreed with you there. It is, however, the most recent one I had. The last formal test I had was in grade school, and thus is hardly likely to be accurate any more, and I don't recall the results. Thus, the score I gave was the best available data. Would you rather I said "I'm smart because I say so, nya nya"?

Rather than give your IQ score biased on an Online test you took?
Yes, yes actually i would prefer "I'm smart because i say so, nya nya"
The two are about equally as relevant

Josh the Aspie
2009-05-28, 09:33 PM
That doesn't really make sense.

Neither, really, does THAC0, or having an Elf "Class" in my opinion. That's why 'they' (people in charge) changed each of the above. ;P

snoopy13a
2009-05-28, 09:34 PM
An IQ of 145 is the 99.9 percentile. That means their IQ is better than 999 out of 1000 people.

It sounds relatively rare but:

1) There could be roughly 8,000 people of 145+ IQ in NYC*
2) There are roughly 300,000 people of 145+ IQ in the US
3) There are roughly 6,000,000 people of 145+ IQ worldwide

* This value depends on whether or not NYC has a normal intelligence spread which it may not. The US and the world probably do.

Ok, let's suppose that:

1) 5,000 people read this forum (just throwing out a ballpark)
2) The people who read this forum are generally in the top 60% of IQ (another ballpark)
3) That means they represent roughly 8,300 people
4) So, roughly 8.3 of people reading this forum have 145+ IQs

I can't believe I just wasted a couple of minutes of my life on this post :smalltongue:

Blackjackg
2009-05-28, 09:36 PM
Psychologists are many things, including therapists. Not all psychologists do psychotherapy. And not all psychologists administer intelligence tests. Some do both, and some do neither. It's a wonderful, diverse world, isn't it?

tribble
2009-05-28, 09:37 PM
ya know, I do have something that does this in mah siggy.

Wafflecart
2009-05-28, 09:37 PM
* This value depends on whether or not NYC has a normal intelligence spread which it may not. The US and the world probably do.

I don't have that much faith in my country's Int.

Josh the Aspie
2009-05-28, 09:39 PM
Psychologists are many things, including therapists. Not all psychologists do psychotherapy. And not all psychologists administer intelligence tests. Some do both, and some do neither. It's a wonderful, diverse world, isn't it?

Exactly. Just for a few more examples, some Psychologists do studies of others, in order to 'advance the art' and do neither of the above, and some psychologists become professors.

And many therapists are neither a Psychologist or Psychiatrist.

lisiecki
2009-05-28, 09:43 PM
Exactly. Just for a few more examples, some Psychologists do studies of others, in order to 'advance the art' and do neither of the above, and some psychologists become professors.

And many therapists are neither a Psychologist or Psychiatrist.

Still i would prefer you just come out and say "I'm smart because i say so, nya nya".

Its ABOUT as relevant as saying you got your score from an online IQ test, that you then altered by your self.

(Possibly MORE relevant)

Josh the Aspie
2009-05-28, 09:54 PM
Still i would prefer you just come out and say "I'm smart because i say so, nya nya".

Its ABOUT as relevant as saying you got your score from an online IQ test, that you then altered by your self.

(Possibly MORE relevant)

Okay, that was such a non-sequitur in my opinion, that I'm just going to drop out of this conversation. If you want to interpret that as a win, go ahead. *thumbs up*

lisiecki
2009-05-28, 09:56 PM
Okay, that was such a non-sequitur in my opinion, that I'm just going to drop out of this conversation. If you want to interpret that as a win, go ahead. *thumbs up*

Yes, it was In no way, a direct response to when you asked

Not a direct response at all.
Not even a little

Yahzi
2009-05-28, 10:35 PM
I'm a 2nd level monk... but all my stats are 8s.

:smalleek:

Wafflecart
2009-05-28, 10:44 PM
i know how u feel = P

Mikeavelli
2009-05-28, 10:57 PM
Str: 14 (comparing the Carry capacity and "lift over head" numbers to my actual physical abilities in the gym, and while hiking around)

Con: 15 (I'm that ******* that gets an illness of some sort, doesn't feel very sick, and ends up putting everyone I know in bed for a week because I'm passing around this years superflu. Also, able to run a marathon.)

Dex: 10 (I'm a pretty poor shot, remarkably uncoordinated, etc. I'm a lot better at these things than I used to be, but that's because I've developed the relevant skills, not because of any natural ability)

Int: 14 (Tend to learn faster than my peers, currently in school for electrical engineering.)

Wis: 8 (I'm actually pretty gullible, pretty poor eyesight\hearing, which is another factor in the 'being a bad shot' deal.

Cha: 10 (Much like Dex, I started out bad in charisma-based things, but have developed over the years. My natural abilities have neither helped me nor hurt me)

Class: Bard 1.

My life experience doesn't lend itself to D&D classes, considering all the different things I've done, places I've been, and skills I've learned. If I were to build myself in D&D, it'd be a poorly optimized mix of Fighter(four years in the military)/rogue(being a magnificent skillmonkey)/wizard(Heavy science-based education carries over into MAGICAL POWERS in the D&D world), but since I'm building myself as a level 1 character, that's how it goes.

loopy
2009-05-28, 11:35 PM
Strength: 8-9 (I'm weaker than the average male of my age, but still have enough body strength to win any wrestling competition I have with my female friends. :smallwink:
Dexterity: 12-14. I'm a dancer with a background in small-time theft and video games. Fast on my feet. Counteracted somewhat by minor nerve blockage in my hands that I have had to compensate for.
Constitution: 14-16 Just like most others here, I don't get sick often. Of course, thats just because I'm making my fort save VS heart disease and diabetes, it won't last forever.
Intelligence: 10-12. Used to be one of the most intelligent kids in my class. I am well read, have a large vocabulary, and apparently seem quite the intelligent one. This is no longer true. I never put any effort into study, putting all my efforts in to social/people skills.
Wisdom: 6-8. This is, unfortunately, my dump stat. I am too self absorbed, and have a tendency to daydream. I have poor Listen, Spot, and Search skills, and I generally convince myself to take short term over long term rewards.
Charisma: 14-18. Subjective. I'm a public speaker, master manipulator, once pretended that I was in a college course for an entire year just to see if I could. Pulled it off with flying colours. I can get people to do what I want, and generally leave them thinking it was their idea. Aiming to get into marketing.

Alignment: Neutral Evil. I'm not a good person.

Class: Rogue. The sneak attack damage would be my tendency to fight *really* dirty.

Skills: Bluff, Diplomacy, Perform(dance), Perform(oratory), Sense Motive, Sleight of Hand, etc etc etc

Quincunx
2009-05-29, 04:21 AM
What we have learned: lisieki's mental dump stat was charisma. He's losing supporters as he continues to speak, he's picking battles with the people whose claims are best documented (if not best supported), and is generally not capable of forcing his viewpoint upon the world of this thread. You may go ahead and claim positive-mod intelligence for realizing that people's mental scores were artificially inflated, if your lack of appreciation for methodology explained doesn't immediately retract it, but you must also claim a larger negative-mod charisma.

Mind you, if it comes down to a measure of idea propagation, I've also got a negative modifier. That doesn't square with the followers though; I disband them, forcefully, and they come back. Maybe it's a feat--curious enough, since I don't possess the full quality of leadership, that is to say being elevated by peers*. I elevate myself and then get on with applied anarchism. Enough about leadership.

Con>Dex>Str (total mod -2)
Wis>Int>Cha (total mod +4)

*Not democratic leadership, at any rate. Autocratic, perhaps. D&D doesn't default to democracy, though. . .

Mastikator
2009-05-29, 04:53 AM
Race human,
Class Rogue 1
Alignment CN,
Abilities:
Str: 8 (according to the carrying table)
Dex: 9 (I've got bad reflexes and eye-hand coordination, but slightly better than strength)
Con: 7 (I've let myself deprecate, lol)
Int: xx (according to my number of skills I should have a modifier of +5, the skill/intelligence is obviously broken since I don't have an intelligence of 20, this probably means I'm more than level one)
Wis: 10
Cha: 10
Feats: Skill focus craft (computer software), <placeholder>
Skills:
Climb 2
Swim 2
Escape artist 2
Hide 3
Craft (computer software) 4
Craft (sewing) 2
Knowledge (computer science) 4
Knowledge (math) 3
Knowledge (physics) 4
knowledge (chemistry) 2
Sense motive 4
Bluff 2
Diplomacy 1

Sereg
2009-05-29, 07:57 AM
Ok. I'll give everyone the relevant data so they can decide what my stats should be due to the obvious bias in these threads.

Strength: My dump stat. Absolute minimum lifting ability for a healthy human in their 20's.

Charisma: Second lowest. While some people like me and I have friends, I do not make them easily and have practically zero ability to influence others. My attempts usually backfire in a horrible way. I'm quite shy and socially inept. It is not unusual for me to be awkward and inappropriate and stutter and have often felt that several individuals find me repulsive or pitiful. However, others appreciate my individuality and sense of humour (even if it is usualy rather corny).

Constitution: Here's where it starts to get iffy. I have a couple of very mild (barely worth mentioning) allergies (hay fever and shampoo) though that is indiative of an active immune system. I also often have a blocked nose (partly due to the hayfever) but it is not often that I'm actually sick. My stomach copes very well with what I put it through and I'm not often nausseous (though I do on occasion feel mild motion sickness). My injuries heal very quickly to quite slowly depending on various conditions. While, I am clumsy enough to recive several injuries these don't usually leave me injured and I've only broken one bone. (On the other hand I once cut myself with a butter knife) For my last significant injury, my doctor sad that my skull should have been smashed in but it wasn't even cracked. I can be quite comfortable in temperature extremes compared to others and have been known to stand in walk in fridges or hold my hands against hot cement. I have no problem walking or hiking while encumbered for decent distances as long as running isn't involved (which tires me out quickly).

Dexterity: I'm quite flexible and can fit into rather small places for my height. In grade 9 I was found to be the most co-ordinated individual in the grade (though it was not a large school and they only tested co-ordination between muscles rather than with t eye (which I suck with)). I used to be a terrible catch, have bad balance and could not aim though I've improved significantly with those. I am however a bit clumsy and my fine-motor skills are terrible (I get the shakes and have terrible hand-writing).

Wisdom: I have been called wise on a few occasions by some people. I am able to gain insight into certain things and am intuitive. I tend to stay away from things that I believe will be bad for me and as far as willpower goes, I've pretty much stuck by decisions I've made long before I understood their significance (note: I have not come to regret this). I was also known for saving money when I was a child for things that I still do not need yet but will (such as a car, house etc.). However, I have poor common sense, can be quite naive and am short-sighted (literally). I was however, part of a food evaluation panel which required me to explain in detail the smell, taste, appearance and texture of food (it was a position I earned with my superior senses)

Intelligence: My highest stat. I do quite well in IQ tests, am reffered to as such (and various variations thereof) by my friends, family and past teachers (on occasion even in my own field), have completed my bachelors and honours in Genetics and have started my Masters (the second youngest in my department), I'm considered the "Ideas Guy" even in my own lab, am considered great with theory and analysis even in my department, I'm imaginative and according to my old teachers I should have been a straight A student (obviously I wasn't though I did have A aggregates for some years). I am also known for knowing a lot of trivia.

lisiecki
2009-05-30, 01:33 PM
Ok,

While I am PRETTY much done with this thread, I do have to say.

S
Charisma: 14-18. Subjective. I'm a public speaker, master manipulator, once pretended that I was in a college course for an entire year just to see if I could. Pulled it off with flying colours. I can get people to do what I want, and generally leave them thinking it was their idea. Aiming to get into marketing.

Loopy you EVIL MASTERMIND you. you took a class audit, something that the majority of schools offer to students AND MEMBERS OF THE PUBLIC for free.
I am in awe.

He's losing supporters as he continues to speak, he's picking battles with the people whose claims are best documented

YA... The people who take internet IQ tests, and then alter the score them selves have GREAT documentation.

Its fine, if every one want to be a special unique snowflake with six 18s, its silly of me to pretend there not amazing.

imp_fireball
2009-05-30, 04:27 PM
Here's my (realist) assumption -

Str - 11 - It used to be 15 according to some test back when I could bench 300lbs., but that was then. Now I try to slide trips to the gym.

Dex - 8 - I'm not very flexible and a klutz - my back is also bent semi-permanently in a hunched position. Not horrible though (it isn't like I amble everywhere... I actually used to though).

Con - 7 - I get sick all the time even though I only have two known allergies.

Wis - 16 - I'm not kidding. I can literally force my mind to think stupid or think intelligent or be intentionally ignorant. I can also get through a day through sheer willpower. I can accustom myself to not having company around me with my own imagination. I think I'm depressed right now and yet I'm used to having been so for the past (maybe) two years. It's difficult to describe much else about this attribute, since it will probably fail to convince people. Oh yah, and I hate politics for a reason.

Int - 13 - It used to be 16 at one point (18 according to a test). I think having an IQ of 127 (according to yet another online test) sort of brought those results down upon my head. Not being into school for the past year or so means I deserve this.

Cha - 5 or 6. Easily my worst attribute. The only long term friends I ever made was likely due to my wisdom back in elementary school. I don't think I've ever intimidated anyone in my life.

Also

I'm probably a:

Level 1 Commoner - If you've never actively sought anything in your life (trudging through school or working a minimum wage job doesn't count unless you volunteer or work overtime, take major lengths to preserving your job security (chased down shoplifting hobos), ie.), then that's no XP. Also, if you haven't got anything massive to show for yourself (and I mean massive... even earning a PHD only means like a level in expert and lots of ranks in knowledge: whatever) then you do not deserve any PC levels. Seriously, PCs willingly risk their lives on almost a daily basis for a higher cause and with little supervision in the matter (most of the time) - could you expect that of soldiers even (of course some are better than others, but their are those that've caved under pressure countless occassions for the simple reason that they're human)?

Alignment - True Neutral or Chaotic Neutral. I believe in law, but I think freedom and independance is more important given the right technology to make it happen (and progress it). Also laws are way too complicated right now. Also entertainment needs to be free, since then there's more options. Sex shouldn't be considered worse than violence. That's all I can say, since I'm tired.

or hold my hands against hot cement.

Actually, anyone can do that. There's a difference between fear and pain tolerance. Pain tolerance is also just will. Seeing as hot cement deals no damage whatsoever (even a hot frying pan if you make your 'reflex save' and don't leave your hand there for more than a couple seconds), I'd say that's just willpower.

Realistically, the attributes play a significant role at all times of the day, often simultaneously. D&D doesn't demand that you make saves for everything, and instead streamlines. It could easily be made to be more realistic, but the original developers didn't want it that way (really, saves are only demanded for the most extreme circumstances assuming a campaign was real life).

For comparison, how scared would you be if you were to a. Hold your palms against hot cement to b. See a wight? Also, some pain is incomprehendable I've discovered, but willpower is amazing as has been proven in real life (people've learned how to 'turn off' pain tolerance so that they could walk over hot coals, ie.). Again, there's millions of different 'feats' in real life but the small selection of skills and feats you are granted at first level only cover some things. A good GM would assume that this covers everything on a much broader scale.

Example: A monk is a fairly straight forward class, identifying itself as the martial artist and yet their a thousands of different forms of martial arts actively practiced in real life - not all of these forms necessarily need their own core class (instead it's assumed).

Again, the highest level of any person living right now is likely 5th level with the exception of past historical figures such as Genghis Khan (being most likely 6th level). Bruce Lee was 5th level. This has been argued in many a past thread. PCs are higher level because they're willing to face dragons and/or hordes of undead on their own (would Bruce Lee actually face a horde of undead or would he become exhausted and die beforehand?).

(according to my number of skills I should have a modifier of +5, the skill/intelligence is obviously broken since I don't have an intelligence of 20, this probably means I'm more than level one)

Mind you, that would only be circumstantial if you were, in fact, a rogue. Mind you, rogues have more skills than experts - experts pursue knowledge for the sake of knowledge, devoting their lives to acquiring skills and being 'worldly'. Rogues are hired chiefly for their many different skills. They're like extreme odd-job artists for jobs that require immense skill (if you want a manual labor odd job, you're better off hiring a commoner - you can pay them minimum wage then instead of the couple grand or so for a single job that would go with a rogue). Some rogues could be like travelling entrepreneur former-mob noteworthies. Good rogues (or other high charisma people) might devote incredible time to charities (touring africa, shaking hands with tribes, etc.). The experts are the doctors in those fields.

Extreme no?

Alternatively, humans in the modern world may be more intelligent than those of the middle ages (I think the average IQ rose 25 or 30 points; +4 int?), meaning that a 'genius' would have an Int of anywhere above 22 rather than 18 (the genius benchmark is IQ 140).

lisiecki
2009-05-30, 08:49 PM
[QUOTE=imp_fireball;6186164
Alternatively, humans in the modern world may be more intelligent than those of the middle ages (I think the average IQ rose 25 or 30 points; +4 int?), meaning that a 'genius' would have an Int of anywhere above 22 rather than 18 (the genius benchmark is IQ 140).[/QUOTE]

Tests are normalized because of the Lynn-Flynn effect.
The mean IQ is still 100

Ozymandias
2009-05-30, 09:05 PM
D&D is a poor model of real-world intelligence because a) it assigns static scores to highly subjective traits and b) it was never intended to reflect reality, and the parameters by which it does are intentionally vague.

If it's fun to assign yourselves statistics and stuff, then do so, by all means, but don't rain on others' parades just because you disagree with their self-assessment, please.

Llama231
2009-05-30, 09:53 PM
Hmmm...

I get this:
Str: 9 By the book.
Dex: 11 I have good reflexes, etc., but I can be clumsy sometimes.
Con: 8 Allergies? Or does crazy allergies mean more con because of a good immune system going crazy?
Ego: 14 16 by I.Q., but whatever.
Wis: 6-8 I fail at almost everything wisdom-related.
Cha: 10? I have no idea.

Class: Expert I'm good at stuff.
P.C. Wizard I wish.:smallyuk:

Counting the changes since the middle ages, I think that the general population has gone like this (Not related to my choices.):
+4

Sereg
2009-05-31, 12:34 AM
Actually, anyone can do that. There's a difference between fear and pain tolerance. Pain tolerance is also just will. Seeing as hot cement deals no damage whatsoever (even a hot frying pan if you make your 'reflex save' and don't leave your hand there for more than a couple seconds), I'd say that's just willpower.

So, that is more an indication of my wis than my con? Ok.

Doresain
2009-05-31, 01:37 AM
str 11 (mostly in my legs)
dex 14 (im decent with a firearm, and have super "kung-fu reflexes" from playing DDR)
con 10 (im rarely sick and i can take a hit, but i get tired real easy)
int 14 (im fairly intelligent, though i dont act like it most days)
wis 7 (as intelligent as i say i am...i do a lot of really dumb things)
cha 16 (what can i say, people love the jolly fat guy)

race: human
class: factotum
skills: bluff +7, diplomacy +10, gather information +7, knowledge (star wars) +6, knowledge (generally useless info) +6, perform (air guitar) +7, perform (truffle shuffle) +9((+2 fat man bonus)), profession (delivery driver) +5, sense motive +2
feats: skill focus (diplomacy), skill focus (profession: delivery driver)

Random NPC
2009-05-31, 02:15 AM
Str: 10 (Normal)
Con: 9 (Not enough stamina, totally trainable)
Dex: 10 (Not clumsy enough, just... average?)
Int: 14 (Really smart, but not the smartest around)
Wis: 14 (Wise. Really wise. No vices even tho everyone around me smokes/drinks/does drugs. I just say, no, thank you.)
Cha: 16 (I can get my way with many people. I can lie and pull it off. I'm not attractive, but if I get in shape and lose some pounds, I can totally woo the ladies. Not that I can't as it is now. I am really charming and I have a strong personality)

Race: Human :O

Class: Sorcerer. I trust too much on my natural skills. I'm a natural genius in many things. Never study. Never failed. Until recently. Totally need to multiclass to Wizard, tho >.< (read: try to study)

OverdrivePrime
2009-05-31, 11:47 AM
I'm always somewhat amused that a few posters seem to take personal insult to the idea that the real world is not point-buy, and that some people - deserving or not - had parents who rolled really well when creating their characters. Some people are born gifted in multiple areas, some are not. Life is harsh that way.

As Snoopy and others have indicated, the Playground is not a standard cross-section of the global population, and so we will have results here that would not fall into the expected norms if you just randomly sampled a couple hundred people from around the world. For one, the Playground is an Internet community, which means that right away it caters more to people with high literacy skills and a better than average educational background. Secondly, we're a community focused on fantasy roleplaying games, which tends to skew more toward people with higher than average intelligence, excellent literacy and logic abilities, and generally a preference for reading and (somewhat nerdy) social interaction over watching reruns of reality TV for several hours a night. In fact, I would be quite happy to wager that a sizable percentage of the Playground listens to public radio for two to four times more hours per week than they watch television.
We are, by our nature, an intellectually curious bunch with strong imaginations. Add to that the concept that people who have a lot of pride and confidence in their natural abilities will tend to self-report more often than people who feel that they got 'gypped' when the great Player in the Sky rolled their stats, and you have a community that seems to be a bunch of 'über-characters'.
What I'm saying is that the demographics of the playground and the thread topic itself naturally lends itself to noticeably higher INT scores than the general population as well as other stats that may skew a bit high. Quite simply, someone with a 6 in their INT score is probably not going to be very interested in the topics discussed on the Playground, and they sure as heck are not going to read through five pages of rather lengthy posts on the abstract nature of porting one's self over to a D&D environment.

Anyway, as I've got a healthy ego and can't resist the opportunity to do a self-inventory for the thousandth time, here goes.

The idea of me as a 1st level character is interesting, as I'm 32, and I'd swear that my adventuring career started when I was around 18. I'll make a go of it, for I certainly would start with better stats now than I would have back when I was 18.

Strength: 17
I am a 6'-4", 215 pound guy who works out five times a week and participates in a number of athletic activities. I am noticeably stronger than almost everyone one I encounter and can lift, drag and carry loads that usually take two other people.

Dexterity: 13
I have above-average hand-eye coordination and am naturally good at sports and athletics in general. I'm a talented martial artist, and a very formidable grappler, which in the D&D world makes measuring my minimum Dex a bit easier. I am able to make myself a hard target, but I'm certainly not going to be catching arrows out of the air without a lot more practice.

Constitution: 14
I'm physically very enduring and can go for an extremely long time without giving in to fatigue or exhaustion. I enjoy hard exercise and am able to smile away blows that would stagger or drop most people. I catch a minor cold about once a year, but it's usually just an inconvenient runny nose. I don't get hangovers, ever, and can drink considerably more alcohol than my peers before I am drunk. And my peers drink like a pack of D&D dwarves. However, I did get thyroid cancer 3 years ago, and as a result my metabolism is chemically supported, so... yeah.

Intelligence: 14
I am very intelligent and this is immediately apparent to anyone who talks to me. I am extremely good at processing abstract concepts, have a tremendous amount of intellectual curiosity, and learn new concepts and processes very fast. I have an excellent memory, and can easily recall details about specific events from my childhood. I speak passable German, and have gone out of my way to learn useful scraps of other languages, and I know multiple computer languages. That being said, I have a few friends who I would definitely consider my intellectual superiors. And yes, I've taken several intelligence tests, one as part of a program in high school, one as part of a program I volunteered for in college, and one that was administered at work, though that last one wasn't really all that rigorous.

Wisdom: 12
I have good intuition and am very good at choosing long-term plans over short-term gains. My first instincts are usually the right one, though I am occasionally wrong. I have an excellent sense of space and direction and am known to be highly insightful. I'm usually a good judge of people, though I've been known to give people the benefit of the doubt a little more than would be in my best interests. I have very good willpower when I am motivated, though I've been known to blow a few hours on Internet forums when I really should be painting the house or something.

Charisma: 15
I'm good at people. I understand people's emotions and motivations at an instinctive level and make friends with a casual ease. Strangers naturally treat me well. I'm a very social animal and the rest of the pack wants me around. Usually I'm the one who gets the party started, though I've got two very good friends who exceed me in this department. I am in my element in any social situation and am very good at saying the right thing at the right time, though I do my best to help people reach their own best decisions rather than exert power over them.

Alignment: Neutral Good, with lawful leanings.

Class: for me it's a toss-up between a druid and a warblade. I'll go with Warblade since my stats are better for it and I'm too narcissistic to shape-change into a bear if a fight breaks out. Bears just aren't as attractive as me. :smallwink: I'll go with Iron Heart, Diamond Mind and a smattering of Tiger Claw and White Raven maneuvers.

Feats: Improved Unarmed Strike, Improved Grapple

OverdrivePrime
2009-06-01, 03:24 PM
Okay, I had waaaay too much fun with this.

I give you my "Me as a first level Warblade" character sheet (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=130000)!

Now, um... anyone running a "play the real you" game? :smallredface:

Meirnon
2009-06-01, 05:37 PM
The generator (http://www.easydamus.com/character.html) results are...
I Am A: Chaotic Good Human Cleric (2nd Level)
Ability Scores:<br>
[b]Strength-13<br>
Dexterity-16<br>
Constitution-12<br>
Intelligence-16<br>
Wisdom-17<br>
Charisma-17<br>

Meirnon
2009-06-01, 05:45 PM
... stupid me... I accidentally pressed "submit" instead of preview... sorry ><

Anyways, the results I'd give myself (and why) are such
STR-10 I'm not strong, but strong enough for most jobs
DEX- 16 I've got balance and quick reflexes. My friends hate that they can never trip me. In middle school I walked around with my books on my head at all times (no hands), and people stopped trying to knock them off cause I'd always tilt in just the right way so they wouldn't fall.
CON- 8 I get tired easily and can't run for very long, of course that's just cause I have fast-twitch muscle fibers and am a better sprinter. Maybe 10 or 11, then.
INT- 16 I've got a very high IQ. I scored 147 in 4th grade, and haven't been tested since. I can only guess I've gone up.
WIS- 17 I do believe that I'm very wise, and my friends don't doubt it either. I have extremely good perception, although I tend to space out from time to time.
CHA- 16 I'm good at convincing people, and I'm not unattractive at all. I have to be good at talking to be a debater, and seeing as how I'm 7th in the state, and this being my 1st year Varsity (no camp, no formal training, and only half a year novice), I'd say I'm pretty good.

I do believe that I'd be a Cleric, and I am strongly Chaotic Good (much more good than chaotic). I like helping people, and my dream job would be as a youth/community worker.

Flickerdart
2009-06-01, 05:49 PM
Now, um... anyone running a "play the real you" game? :smallredface:
Could be fun, so long as everyone's PB is more or less the same. A few-point difference should still be fairly accurate.

lisiecki
2009-06-02, 11:51 PM
Could be fun, so long as everyone's PB is more or less the same. A few-point difference should still be fairly accurate.

Isn't the entire point of this that its NOT.
Lets say all my scores are 10s, and the guy with the INT of 32 wants to play.
Should he not get to play just because hes that much smarter than i am.

silvadel
2009-06-03, 12:04 AM
I am not 1st level but my stats would be approx:

Str 8
Dex 6
Con 10-12
Int 18
Wis 16
Chr 4

Dogmantra
2009-06-03, 01:27 AM
Isn't the entire point of this that its NOT.
Lets say all my scores are 10s, and the guy with the INT of 32 wants to play.
Should he not get to play just because hes that much smarter than i am.

I think what Flickerdart meant is "let's, in the interests of fairness, not use our actual perceived stats, let's instead use PB to try to approximate said stats."

I'd love to play this game.

Kurald Galain
2009-06-03, 03:08 AM
Ah, is it that time of the month again? I'm about this, mostly...

Strength 10 - average, no biggy
Dex 13 - I'm not half bad at craft and quite good at balance
Con 15 - in good health and good endurance
Int 20 - yes, I do hold a MSc degree
Wis 14 - wisdom doesn't correspond well to anything in the real world
Cha 12 - slightly above average

But oh, does this ever work better with White Wolf. You can actually describe yourself, put one dot here and two dots there to match with your real-world abilities, instead of pigeonholing everything into six broad and ill-defined categories....

lisiecki
2009-06-03, 03:38 AM
Eh see to me, if your going to play this "lets play our perceived stats"
then lets play our perceived stats.

It doesn't seem fair to average out some of the really REALLY good stats ive seen here, with my admittedly average stats.
Those who are built on 90 points should GET those 90 points
the ones with the non elite array should get there non elite array like i do

And hay if you want to "Approximate" your stats
then you don't really have impressive enough stats to play

I think what Flickerdart meant is "let's, in the interests of fairness, not use our actual perceived stats, let's instead use PB to try to approximate said stats."

loopy
2009-06-03, 03:51 AM
Loopy you EVIL MASTERMIND you. you took a class audit, something that the majority of schools offer to students AND MEMBERS OF THE PUBLIC for free.
I am in awe.

Heh. I don't think I really expressed myself particularly well. As far as my friends and family knew, I was at college. I could be found on the campus occasionally, had friends who swore they'd had a class with me a semester or so back, brought home marked assessments, talked about what I'd learned that day to the folks (made it all up, naturally), etc etc etc.

If you are wondering why I didn't just *go* to college, instead of the elaborate masquerade... I actually had a full time admin job that no one knew about as well. Much easier to keep that hidden. Damnably boring work that.

Regardless, whether you believe that to be a particularly interesting feat or not, I am generally considered friendly, personable, a good storyteller, a great listener, and an honest and morally upright citizen. :smallsmile:

lisiecki
2009-06-03, 06:28 AM
Honestly I'm just confused.

So, for one year, you told your friends family ect that you were going to collage. And you had friends, who said that they knew you not only from collage, but from before you started to pretend to go to collage.

So is you pretended to go to collage for semester 1 and 2, there were some who calmed to have classes with you before semester 1?

It seems it would defeat the purpose to have people say that they had classes with you, before your story began

Heh. I don't think I really expressed myself particularly well. As far as my friends and family knew, I was at college. I could be found on the campus occasionally, had friends who swore they'd had a class with me a semester or so back, brought home marked assessments, talked about what I'd learned that day to the folks (made it all up, naturally), etc etc etc.
If you are wondering why I didn't just *go* to college, instead of the elaborate masquerade... I actually had a full time admin job that no one knew about as well. Much easier to keep that hidden. Damnably boring work that.

OverdrivePrime
2009-06-03, 06:34 AM

x2

I'd be happy to adjust a few stats to be a more team-friendly PC - I just love the concept of playing the 'idea' of myself. That's what comes of playing in an Immortal campaign for 8 years, I suppose. :smallsmile:

loopy
2009-06-03, 08:58 AM
Honestly I'm just confused.

So, for one year, you told your friends family ect that you were going to collage. And you had friends, who said that they knew you not only from collage, but from before you started to pretend to go to collage.

So is you pretended to go to collage for semester 1 and 2, there were some who calmed to have classes with you before semester 1?

It seems it would defeat the purpose to have people say that they had classes with you, before your story began

Apparently I looked similar to someone in their class. Never did question that too closely. :smallsmile:

Anyway, I'm not sure I'll be able to explain this any better. Dock a few points from my int score, haha. :smalltongue: