PDA

View Full Version : Undead Dragon-builders wanted (Armidale stay out)

Serpentine
2009-05-28, 11:45 AM
SDF suggested it, blame him.

I need some construction done. The next game or several I'm going to run is going to be big. Very big. Well, for a random side-quest, anyway. I just don't have the time or energy to do everything I want to for this by myself. Specifically, I want as many different types of undead dragons as I can get, any colour and pretty much any size or age.

Here's the set-up (and if anyone can think of a good name for an ancient blue dracolich, please tell me): Until several decades ago, a terrible ancient blue dracolich ruled this (pseudo-American) continent. His schemes spanned oceans and stretched accross centuries. He made his home in a dragon graveyard, that had been used by all dragons for millenia to inter their dead. From here, he terrorised and ruled everything he could, wielding undead hordes as his horrifying army.
About 60 years ago, a party of adventurers, more through sheer luck than anything else, managed to stumble upon and defeat the lich. The years passed, and people forgot surprisingly quickly. Except for the seeds of a cult the dracolich had sewn throughout various civilisations. One of these, a kobold necromantic group, has discovered the lich's lair and have found the secret to reviving him. They have settled into the graveyard, making ample use of its morbid resources, and are in the process of performing the ritual that will recreate the lich in a new form - one that involves the hatching of a stolen and killed golden dragon egg by an undead female dragon. As an added bonus, they've captured the now-elderly adventurers who first deposed the lich, or failing that, their nearest (and/or easiest-to-capture) kin. Their pain, misery and blood will add potency to the spells.
The intense concentration of necromantic magic produced by the dracolich tainted the entire cemetary, and with the arrival of new dark wizards the taint has been revitalised. As a result, the dead of the cemetary are rising spontaneously, not in anyone's control nor through anyone's will, and mostly wander aimlessly in search of revenge, sustenance, or simple rest.

So, what I want/need, is these spontaneous undead. Mostly-dead dragons of all colours and ages. Mostly mindless undead, but the odd sentient one thrown in here and there could be interesting. Zombies, skeletons, maybe the odd ghoul if such a thing is possible (some could be trapped in their human forms), maybe an interesting template I found called "fossil", pretty much anything else anyone can think of. There is basically a whole lot of random negative energy flying around, getting into any corpse it can find, and raising them largely at random - though some may reflect some aspect of their life or death.
The party at the moment consists of three 11th level characters and three 12th level characters. The cultists alone will be a very hard fight, but when it comes to the other undead, they can run away if they need to (anyone have a good way to make that clear to the players?), so over-CR monsters should be fine.

To summarise:
Party of 3 level 12s and 3 level 11s.
I want as many different (mostly mindless) undead dragons, any colour and any age, as I can get.
They're rising spontaneously, so probably no extra templates that have to be applied by a creator.
Need a good name for a blue dracolich.
Need a good way to make it clear to my players that they can - possibly must - run away.

Anyone willing to give me a hand with the hard work? :smallfrown:

afroakuma
2009-05-28, 11:59 AM
If I find the time, I'll shuttle some your way.

Also, I have a wraith dragon you might be interested in... :smallsmile:

Serpentine
2009-05-28, 12:45 PM
That would be very cool :smallsmile:
Ideally, I'd like some by this weekend, but in reality I don't think I'm going to be ready.

I forgot to say: I'll owe anyone who helps a big favour! Maybe some free avatars?

Set
2009-05-28, 01:09 PM
I want as many different (mostly mindless) undead dragons, any colour and any age, as I can get.

I'm pretty sure that either the Draconomicon and / or Libris Mortis have undead dragon templates that are pretty rocking. The Book of Vile Darkness also has Bone Creature and Corpse Creature templates that rock over the Skeleton and Zombie templates in other sources.

Grab the 'generic' dragons of each color and size from the back of the Draconomicon, and template them up, for speed of creation.

Need a good name for a blue dracolich.

Kizarvexius is taken, so perhaps Shizarak, the Blue Death?

Or something portentious (and pretentious) perhaps, with lots of titles, like a genie from the Al-Qadim campaign, such as 'Lord Mastrikem, Devourer of Innocence (Destroyer of Innocence?), Scourge Upon the Skies, Plague Wind, Tyrant of Skyfire, Sapphire Sovereign, Conqueror of Death (or Devourer of Death?), Bane of Sunderheim (some dwarven keep he razed in his younger days).'

He could be like Smaug, very impressed with himself, and prone to boasting. He might even have gone so far as to use a 'herald' to recite his titles as he appears, being too haughty (and humble, he'll say, with no trace of irony) to sing his own praises! An enslaved Bard (who flatters him endlessly) would be ideal.

Instead of 'blue,' pull a Gygax and look up suitable synonyms, like Azure or Sapphire or Lapis. Perhaps even search around online for latin versions of words like 'blue' and 'death' to see if he can pull off something in that vein.

blue - caeruleus, lividus, vitrium
death - mortalis, more mortis, nox noctis, immortalis (deathless), immolo, etc

Need a good way to make it clear to my players that they can - possibly must - run away.

Create that horror of horrors, the DMPC-who-outshines-the-party, and have him/her/it die horribly trying to stand up against the undead dragons. Resist the temptation to have him shout 'Fly you fools!' as they descend upon him.

afroakuma
2009-05-28, 01:16 PM
That would be very cool :smallsmile:
Ideally, I'd like some by this weekend, but in reality I don't think I'm going to be ready.

I forgot to say: I'll owe anyone who helps a big favour! Maybe some free avatars?

Ooh, monsters and sexy bribes!

The girl knows how to party! :smallwink:

Serp: I'll throw together a proper do-up and send it over.

Mando Knight
2009-05-28, 01:28 PM
The years passed, and people forgot surprisingly quickly. Except for the seeds of a cult the dracolich had sewn throughout various civilisations. One of these, a kobold necromantic group, has discovered the lich's lair and have found the secret to reviving him. They have settled into the graveyard, making ample use of its morbid resources, and are in the process of performing the ritual that will recreate the lich in a new form - one that involves the hatching of a stolen and killed golden dragon egg by an undead female dragon. As an added bonus, they've captured the now-elderly adventurers who first deposed the lich, or failing that, their nearest (and/or easiest-to-capture) kin. Their pain, misery and blood will add potency to the spells.

This is a pretty freakin' awesome idea. Unfortunately, I don't have sufficient resources to make much of a difference myself, so I really wouldn't be able to do much more than make up a few draco-zombies and skeletal dragons...

Serpentine
2009-05-28, 01:35 PM
I'm pretty sure that either the Draconomicon and / or Libris Mortis have undead dragon templates that are pretty rocking. The Book of Vile Darkness also has Bone Creature and Corpse Creature templates that rock over the Skeleton and Zombie templates in other sources.

Grab the 'generic' dragons of each color and size from the back of the Draconomicon, and template them up, for speed of creation.My problem isn't finding the templates. My problem is doing the work of applying them.
Thanks for the naming advice :smallsmile: I'll go look up some Native American words for "blue", "death", "bones", "mighty" and the like.

Thanks Mando :smallsmile: And thanks for your help in advance, Afro ^_^

Incidentally, this was the result of some random encounter tables I have. I think I rolled up "kobold", "skeletal dragon", "graveyard" and "forest" or somesuch. I think Triffid was in there somewhere.

Mando Knight
2009-05-28, 01:42 PM
My problem isn't finding the templates. My problem is doing the work of applying them.

Well, number-crunching is one of the things I do best... :smalltongue:
I could probably get you the skeletal and zombie forms of any of the 20 HD or less SRD dragons within a few hours...

Serpentine
2009-05-28, 02:00 PM
Yay! :biggrin: I'm not sure what the difference is between applying the normal skeleton/zombie template to a dragon and using the skeletal dragon or zombie dragon templates in the Draconomicon, but I'll take whatever I can get, thanks :smallsmile:

Mando Knight
2009-05-28, 02:27 PM
Do you want me to post them here, or PM them to you just in case you players don't stay out?

arguskos
2009-05-28, 03:10 PM
As for names, I like using names from fiction. My current favorite for evil dragons is Xiombarg (nicked from Michael Moorcock's Elric Saga). Other good names include Arioch, Slortar, Baal, Terean Gashtak, Jagreen Lern, Sepiriz, and pretty much any name from the Elric Saga. :smallbiggrin:

On that note, do you need stats for the lich itself? I have a massively powerful shadow dragon dracolich that I can toss your way. It's not a blue, but it could work with a touch of tweaking.

Also, you do know about the skeletal dragon and zombie dragon templates in the Draconomicon, right? Cause, they make life easier for this sort of thing. :smallwink: Nevermind, reading posts is pretty tech. :smallsigh:

boomwolf
2009-05-28, 09:55 PM
Immolivid. simple, powerful, and a hint of scary.

As for making the PC's run away, you can make him cast a spell far beyond their ability that you know they know, and make the roll "happen" to miss (only works with hidden DM rolls.)
Other option is to get the BBED (big bag evil dragon?) so silly overloaded with magical items they jest KNOW they are screwed. or make dozens of minions, identical to one that proved powerful on its own, standing right behind him. (well, with him out, he probably controls the damn army)

As for the undead, you can toss in a vampire dragon, think its in draconomicon.
Ghost dragons.
Brain-in-a-jar dragons...

Serpentine
2009-05-29, 04:20 AM
I forgot to mention in the original post (thanks Mando), the spontaneously rising dragons are not limited by the capabilities of Animate dead and the like.

Posting them here would be good so I have them in one place, but I don't mind too much.

Arguskos, the dracolich, when (/if) we come face-to-face with it, will actually be new-born. The ritual is sort of growing the dracolich from the dead embryo of the gold dragon egg, and if it's interrupted (by, say, a bunch of adventurers barging in and slaughtering all the cultists) it will "hatch" prematurely, as a wyrmling, juvenile or whatever (have to have a look at it), rather than an adult. But, I do like the sound of that one, so I wouldn't mind having a look at it. There's a chance the baby dracolich will escape, and "grow up", and if it looks like it'd work here I could babify it from that.

Boomwolf: Those are all good ideas, except it's mostly not BBED, just RWUD (Randomly Wandering Undead Dragons), mostly mindless or mad. Knowledge (religion) checks would probably help, though, anyway.
Ghost dragons are fair game (though, again, they'd probably be mostly mad rather than useful or scheming or whatever), a brain-inna-jar wouldn't really work with the spontaneous thing (could possibly be good in the cultist lair, but there's already gonna be 1 Dirgesinger chant-master, 1 Dread/True Necromancer cult-master, 8 Dread Necromancer cultists, 6 (well, 4 - two were killed earlier) Cleric cabal guards, 1 Cleric guard captain, various controlled undead, a brooding zombie dragon, a developing dracolich embryo, and about 8 elderly and child prisoners or their twisted remains, so it's already a bit crowded), and I'm iffy about having a vampire dragon. I think they're silly anyway (they eat the entire person, blood and all. What's the point in them being a vampire?) and, again, they're sentient, but I could possibly throw one in somewhere. Actually, now I think about it, a wyrmling vampire dragon would be interesting and potentially very scary... Especially if it were one of those variants, feral or wild or whatever.
I don't know the Immolivid, but if you want to make me a few, I won't complain... :smallwink:

Thanks for all the help so far :smallsmile: If anyone's interested, I could possibly clean it all up and post it as a module or whatever, in return for all the help.

edit: By the way, I'm never any good at comparing crunch or anything. Can anyone sum up for me the difference between Dread Necromancer and True Necromancer? I think I'll be giving the head cultist something like Dread 6/True 4, but I don't really know how that's different to, say, Dread 4/True 6, or Dread 10, or whatever else. The other cultists will probably be just Dread 6.

arguskos
2009-05-30, 12:29 PM
Apparently, I lost Xiombarg somewhere along the line (I had to rebuild my comp at some point :smallannoyed:), so I'll recreate it for you. So, how does mature adult sound? I'll make him reasonably hard, but not insanely overwhelming. Would you like class levels? My original had some, but I don't know if you want any.

boomwolf
2009-05-30, 04:57 PM
I do NOT believe you actually took brain-in-a-jar seriously.

Although such silly things ARE a nice touch time to time...one of my BBEG's was actually a cat. but the previous BBEG installed some necromantic-control thingy on him and the can dominated massive undead armies, using the mindset of an housecat. (yes, they mostly went after mice and birds. and it was risky because one player was a wererat and another was a raptorian.)
Needless to say they were really confused when they found out who controlled the undead to get "revenge"...

Anyways, back to topic.

Names: Sarlen the Blue Death, Electros the Great, Bazil the Destroyer, Sinaros the Deathless, IMMOLIVID (its a NAME, not a creature. but I might jest make a creature with that name because I jest like the name too much.)

Undead Dragons: Ooze Dragon (use savage species page 116, and add undead subtype if you want.), Banshee Dragon, Impowered Ghoul Dragon (breath of ghoul's touch added for extra horror), and for the not-quite-dead dragon you got my Soulless template if you want. (in my sig)

shaddy_24
2009-05-30, 07:20 PM
edit: By the way, I'm never any good at comparing crunch or anything. Can anyone sum up for me the difference between Dread Necromancer and True Necromancer? I think I'll be giving the head cultist something like Dread 6/True 4, but I don't really know how that's different to, say, Dread 4/True 6, or Dread 10, or whatever else. The other cultists will probably be just Dread 6.

True Necro requires divine spellcasting on top of arcane. It's kinda like Mystic Thurge except it's 14 levels (and will therefore take them from arcane 3/divine 3 up to level 20), and they get create undead & greater create undead as spell-like abilities. And a few other bonuses. But if you want a True Necro, you need an arcane caster crossed with a cleric, since access to the death domain is a prerequisite.

afroakuma
2009-05-30, 09:09 PM
Whoever or whatever Armidale is should keep away from this:

Dracowraith

In the rare instance when the territories of wraith dragon and true dragon overlap, terrible battles ignite and play out brutally in the darkness. At the end, the soul-sucking bite of the wraith dragon often overcomes its adversary, who dies from the sucking, clawing evil of malign negative energy and shadow. This empty, harrowing death in a place of darkness and evil can cause such dead dragons to arise as dracowraiths, bleak, baneful spectres doomed to lash out against light and nature, driven by the same hatred and malice that motivated their slayer.

Creating a Dracowraith

"Dracowraith" is an acquired template that can be added to any dragon (hereafter referred to as the base dragon). A dracowraith uses all the base creature's statistics and special abilities, except as noted here.

Size and Type The creature's type changes to undead, and it gains the incorporeal subtype. Size is unchanged.

Hit Dice The base dragon's hit dice remain the same, but it loses any Constitution bonus to its hit points (see Abilities, below). However, a dracowraith gains bonus hit points equal to twice its HD.

Speed A dracowraith has a fly speed of 60 ft, unless the base dragon has a higher fly speed. Regardless of its fly speed, the wraith dragon has perfect maneuverability.

Armor Class A dracowraith's natural armor bonus remains unchanged but applies only to ethereal encounters. On the Material Plane, it gains a deflection bonus to AC equal to its Charisma bonus or +1, whichever is higher.

Attacks A dracowraith retains all the attacks of the base dragon, although those relying on physical contact do not affect nonethereal creatures. It also gains an incorporeal touch attack, which it can use with any part of its body normally capable of attacking. Apply a wraith dragon's Dexterity modifier, not its Strength modifier, to its incorporeal touch attack roll.

Damage Against ethereal creatures, a dracowraith uses the base dragon's damage ratings. Against nonethereal creatures, a dracowraith usually cannot deal physical damage (but see below).

Special Attacks A dracowraith retains all the special attacks of the base dragon, although those relying on physical contact do not affect nonethereal creatures. The dracowraith gains the special attacks described below. Saves against a dracowraith's special attacks (including those of the base dragon) have a DC of 10 + 1/2 dracowraith's HD + Cha modifier unless otherwise noted.

Breath Weapon (Su) In addition to any breath weapons it may have had in life, a dracowraith gains a breath weapon that creates a baleful line of depleting cold. This line deals 1d12 cold damage per age category of the base dragon and causes any creature damaged by it to become fatigued. An already fatigued creature becomes exhausted, and an already exhausted creature takes 1d6 points of Strength damage as the depleting cold robs muscle and sinew of energy and will to function. This breath weapon can be used once every 1d4 rounds.

Constitution Drain (Su) Living creatures hit by a dracowraith's incorporeal touch attack must succeed on a Fortitude save or take 1 point of Constitution drain per age category of the dragon. The save DC is Charisma-based. On each such successful attack, the dracowraith gains temporary hit points equal to twice the number of Constitution points drained.

Special Qualities A dracowraith has all the special qualities of the base dragon, except for any subtypes possessed. If the base dragon had any immunities based on its subtype, it keeps those immunities despite losing the subtype. It also gains the Incorporeal subtype and the special qualities described below.

Turn Resistance (Ex) A dracowraith has +2 turn resistance.

Unnatural Aura (Su) Animals, whether wild or domesticated, can sense the unnatural presence of a dracowraith at a distance of 15 feet per age category of the base dragon. They will not willingly approach nearer than that and panic if forced to do so; they remain panicked as long as they are within that range.

Daylight Powerlessness (Ex) Dracowraiths are utterly powerless in natural sunlight (not merely a daylight spell) and flee from it.

Create Spawn (Su) Any humanoid slain by a dracowraith becomes a wraith in 1d4 rounds. Its body remains intact and inanimate, but its spirit is torn free from its corpse and transformed. Spawn are under the command of the dracowraith that created them and remain enslaved until its death. They do not possess any of the abilities they had in life.

Lifesense (Su) A dracowraith based on a dragon of at least mature adult age notices and locates living creatures within 15 feet per age category, just as if it possessed the blindsight ability. It also senses the strength of their life force automatically, as if it had cast deathwatch.

Undead Traits A dracowraith is immune to all mind-affecting effects (charms, compulsions, phantasms, patterns, and morale effects), poison, sleep effects, paralysis, stunning, disease, death effects and any effect that requires a Fortitude save (unless the effect also works on objects or is harmless). It is not subject to critical hits, nonlethal damage, ability drain, energy drain, ability damage to its physical ability scores (Strength, Dexterity, and Constitution), fatigue, exhaustion or death from massive damage. It cannot be raised, and resurrection will only work if it is willing. It has darkvision out to 60 feet (unless the base dragon had a greater range).

Saves A dracowraith is immune to any effect that requires a Fortitude save, unless the effect also works on objects or is harmless.

Abilities As the base dragon, except the dracowraith has no Constitution score, and its Dexterity and Charisma scores each increase by 4.

Skills Dracowraiths have a +4 racial bonus on Hide, Listen, Search and Spot checks.

Organization Solitary or with 1d4 wraiths (spawn).

Challenge Rating Same as the base dragon +1

Treasure None

Alignment Often lawful evil, may remain same as the base dragon

Aergoth
2009-05-30, 09:33 PM
For naming I'd suggest Valdis, Scourge of Life, Breaker of Souls [insert more suitably grand titles here]. Perhaps applying the evolved undead template(LM, gains a spell-like and a few minor bonuses) to something. We're talking a fledgling undead dragon after all, so find a suitably strong undead template, perhaps make it a fleshvigor undead (this can be found on Crystal Keep, gains health by eating things, can't be a skeleton) or a vicious Skeleton (LM). Maybe even make it an unkillable zombie (LM, Extra 1 hp per HD and fast healing 5), and simply stack it with spell-like abilities?

Libris mortis features a template called a revived fossil, which could make a fight interesting. It gains a few size-dependent things (natural armor bonus, claw attack) has a nice DR (10/adamantine)

You want to make the players flee? Throw a group of 7-8 undead at them. 3 young dragons, of different types possibly of the incorporeal undead group, with lackeys human or stronger undead. Maybe ask someone to try mixing the Cadaver Golem (from Heroes of Horror I believe) with a Dragonflesh Golem, and throw the resulting undead horror at them with a little backup. Maybe even have the players stumble on it uprgrading it's abilities. Another option would be to have them get thoroughly beat up, and not give them a chance to rest. Keep them moving so that they have to work with what little resources you give them (a la early resident evil games. Recharging things like spells and daily abilities would become a precious resource if they were getting chased down by terrifying undead horrors..)

Note: Cadaver golems are a fairly good approximation of Adam (frankenstien's monster). They can actually steal abilities from other creatures by swapping body parts with them. So stealing a creature's eyes might grant them a different vision type, stealing their brain would give them their skills. With a dragoncadaver golem you could have it steal their wings to gain a better flight speed or maneuverablility, their mouth or head to gain a breath weapon, claws to improve the attack. I think anything would run from something that could murder a dragon and then proceed to start optioning bits of it to improve itself.)

Serpentine
2009-05-30, 11:13 PM
Apparently, I lost Xiombarg somewhere along the line (I had to rebuild my comp at some point :smallannoyed:), so I'll recreate it for you. So, how does mature adult sound? I'll make him reasonably hard, but not insanely overwhelming. Would you like class levels? My original had some, but I don't know if you want any.The full-grown, peak-condition dracolich would be very, very tough. Epic levels, possibly, or close to it. So... Actually, looking at the blue dragon table, mature adult would be about right. So, it sounds good :smalltongue: But, once I have the base dracolich (yours, if you're willing to do it :smallsmile: I was just asking for the grunt, "wild" undead dragons... Not gonna complain, though :smallwink:) I'm going to reduce it somewhat. Depending on how quickly the party disrupts the ritual, the new-born dracolich will be harder or easier (think I'll just make up the degree at the time...), so I'll have to adapt it myself. Still want it to be sort-of tough (maybe "Challenging", level 12ish), but nothing to compare with its full-grown self.

Shaddy: ...huh. I read over that class over and over again. I'm sure I must've realised that, and just forgotten it... I think what happened is I saw that Dread Necromancer can supply the Rebuke Undead, Knowledge (religion), and Summon Undead II and Command Undead spell requirements, but glossed over the "as a divine spell" and "access to the Death domain" bits. On the other hand, I am the DM... :smallamused: But eh, I'll just stick with Dread Necromancer (unless anyone can think of a good prestige class to use with it).

Boomwolf: I take all ideas seriously :smallamused: At least, I seriously consider whether they could work... :smalltongue: I kinda like the idea of turning an ooze dragon into an undead... Which reminds me! One of the things I randomly rolled up was a graveyard ooze or whatever it's called. Should include it, probably... Anyway, I think banshee anything would be a bad idea 'til I'm really confident in my save-or-die variants. And while I really like your suggestions, it'd be even better if you could stat some up for me, if you're willing and/or able :smalltongue:
This is what I have listed as to-dos:

Cabal lieutenant – spells, equipment.
Cabal cultists x 6
Cabal Supreme Deadscale
Chantmaster (Dirgesinger)?
Undead dragons – spontaneous, animated.
Newreborn dracolich

Graveyard layout
Tunnels
Lair layout
Prisoners
Actions – prepared/unprepared

The bolded bit is what I'm hoping for help with :smallfrown: :smallsigh:

Afro: "Armidale" is my town, but "The group of D&D players who are from Armidale, if it's my game, please stay out" is a bit too long :smalltongue: That template looks good.

Aergoth: Thanks, but I've already decided it'll be a dracolich. Basically, the egg is its phylactery. I'm sort of combining the dracolich possession of an available dragon corpse and the normal lich "reappearance": The dracolich stole and killed a gold dragon egg to act as its phylactery, and, in a way, its replacement corpse. It needs another dead dragon, and a special ritual (which may actually just speed up the process so it doesn't have to "gestate" "normally") to rebuild itself to its former glory, at which point it would (normally) hatch out and spread horror and destruction, etc. etc. We'll interrupt the ceremony (hopefully...), forcing it to expose itself prematurely - that's the only reason it's fledgeling.

Thanks, again, for the help so far :smallsmile:

afroakuma
2009-05-30, 11:43 PM
Afro: "Armidale" is my town, but "The group of D&D players who are from Armidale, if it's my game, please stay out" is a bit too long :smalltongue: That template looks good.

The more you know. :smallsmile:

I'll apply the dracowraith template to a few randoms for you tomowwow. All ages, colors etc., correct?

arguskos
2009-05-31, 12:07 AM
Serp, I'd be glad to make up the dracolich (major and minor, if you want). Must it be blue, or can it be something else? I'm not opposed to blue, but I have a special place in my heart for shadow dragons. :smallwink: Nothing says "I love my players" like a negative level breath weapon. :smallbiggrin:

afroakuma
2009-05-31, 12:14 AM
You, my friend, also have the wraith dragon itself.

boomwolf
2009-05-31, 01:28 AM
I wont be around, so I cant help you stat them. (going away in less then an hour and coming back 2 weeks from now.)

But for ooze dragon I suggest you put it on a black dragon, possibly a young adult.

arguskos
2009-05-31, 03:43 AM
You, my friend, also have the wraith dragon itself.
Indeed I do. I'm still waiting for a full wraith dragon write-up you know, I think it'd be most excellent.

Oh, and it should make you smile to no end to hear that I'll be using said wraith dragon in my current campaign, if we get past the current damn story arc. He won't be the BBEG, but he WILL be doing his "terrorize and destroy the light" thing. :smallwink:

Serpentine
2009-05-31, 11:37 AM
Serp, I'd be glad to make up the dracolich (major and minor, if you want). Must it be blue, or can it be something else? I'm not opposed to blue, but I have a special place in my heart for shadow dragons. :smallwink: Nothing says "I love my players" like a negative level breath weapon. :smallbiggrin:I think blue will work best. I'm already having a couple of the kobolds as his offspring... :smallamused:
I'll apply the dracowraith template to a few randoms for you tomowwow. All ages, colors etc., correct?Yep, that's right. Thanks heaps :smallsmile:

By the way, no game 'til next weekend.

afroakuma
2009-05-31, 11:41 AM
Nothing says "I love my players" like a negative level breath weapon. :smallbiggrin:

How about a "turn living" breath weapon? :smallamused:

arguskos
2009-05-31, 12:00 PM
That ain't bad either afro.

Serp, I'll see if I can't get the dracolich together by then. Do you need any aid with the cultists, or do you have them under control? I'll leave the other undead dragons to afro and the others as NPCs with class levels (and liches) are my forte. :smallwink:

shaddy_24
2009-05-31, 02:16 PM
Shaddy: ...huh. I read over that class over and over again. I'm sure I must've realised that, and just forgotten it... I think what happened is I saw that Dread Necromancer can supply the Rebuke Undead, Knowledge (religion), and Summon Undead II and Command Undead spell requirements, but glossed over the "as a divine spell" and "access to the Death domain" bits. On the other hand, I am the DM... :smallamused: But eh, I'll just stick with Dread Necromancer (unless anyone can think of a good prestige class to use with it).

Brain blip. I've done the same thing. Pale master might work, though I'm not sure off hand how it'll mesh.

Cabal lieutenant – spells, equipment.
Cabal cultists x 6
Cabal Supreme Deadscale
Chantmaster (Dirgesinger)?
Undead dragons – spontaneous, animated.
Newreborn dracolich

Graveyard layout
Tunnels
Lair layout
Prisoners
Actions – prepared/unprepared

The bolded bit is what I'm hoping for help with :smallfrown: :smallsigh:

The dracolyte prestige class from Draconomicon might work for your cultists, though if you already have a few ideas then don't worry about it.

As for spontanious undead dragons, I don't think I have time to type out a whole bunch of them. I think you've got a few other people coming up with examples for you, though I could at least type up the templates if someone wants them.

Serpentine
2009-06-02, 05:12 AM
Brain blip. I've done the same thing. Pale master might work, though I'm not sure off hand how it'll mesh.

The dracolyte prestige class from Draconomicon might work for your cultists, though if you already have a few ideas then don't worry about it.

As for spontanious undead dragons, I don't think I have time to type out a whole bunch of them. I think you've got a few other people coming up with examples for you, though I could at least type up the templates if someone wants them.Pale master's specifically incorporial undead. Not a bad idea, but not really what I'm going for. Same with dracolyte, really.
edit: That sounded incredibly unappreciative, didn't it? I had just the other day read over the Pale Master and decided it wouldn't work, and at your suggestion I went and looked up the Dracolyte to see whether it'd be good. I do appreciate all and any ideas, honest.

If anyone wanted to make up spell lists for... probably 6th and 11 or 12th level Dread Necromancers, it would save me that much work.

Bhu
2009-06-02, 05:24 AM
I think I may have a few undead templates somewhere you can use. lemme peek around my pc.

PM me if I haven't posted in a few days it's gonna be a busy week for me,

Serpentine
2009-06-04, 02:35 AM

Possibly just a couple more days to go (though at least one of my players won't be here this weekend so I'll probably put it off even longer)! There's been some really useful stuff so far. I want as much variety as I can get, though, so if anyone's willing don't assume I have enough!

Bhu
2009-06-04, 07:21 AM
Going through my undead templates, many of them will prolly be too high level or just too odd for what you need.

Serpentine
2009-06-04, 10:46 AM
Aww. Oh well.

Hmm...
Nah, it's already too huge as it is (I don't have time to do my extremely overdue assignment! I might fail honours because of frigging D&D! :eek:), best to keep it as simple (ha!) as possible.

So I looked properly at the Animate and Create Dead spells. It makes sense that this place would all be desecrated - hell, could've been done automatically/spontaneously, rather than deliberately by the kobolds. So... Turns out my cultists could have about 7 undead Great Wyrms in their employ... That could be a touch redunkulous. Guess I can just pretty much go "I want that one" for their smelly little pets...
Maybe I should leave the Dirgesinger out of it... Thoughts?

arguskos: What sort of challenge rating would a Mature Adult + blue dragon dracolich have if you based its more physical features (size, strength, dexterity, attack rolls and damage, breath weapon maybe, speed, maybe resistances and damage reduction, armour, etc) on a wyrmling but its magical features (spellcasting, spell resistance (maybe reduced), supernatural abilities, etc) on the mature dragon?

I've found a possibly good name for the dracolich: "Afinahusaka Cocheta" - Native American (part of it's Winnebago, nothing more specific than that) for "Blueberry Wings That You Cannot Imagine". Thoughts?

Lord Loss
2009-06-04, 12:04 PM
Someone probably awnsered already and i missed it, but True necros concentrate on raising dead, whereas Dread ones are more of a combat oriented class.

Serpentine
2009-06-04, 12:07 PM
Someone probably awnsered already and i missed it, but True necros concentrate on raising dead, whereas Dread ones are more of a combat oriented class....whut? :smallconfused: I haven't noticed anything like that...
edit: They have some touch attacks, simple and a single matial weapon, light armour without an arcane failure, and mentions that some abilities require working in melee, but that's about all i'm seeing. The BAB progression is 1/2, and they're spellcasting-oriented.

afroakuma
2009-06-04, 01:24 PM
Dracowraiths
Young Adult Green Dracowraith
Large Undead (Incorporeal)
HD 17d12+34 (144 hp)
Speed 40 ft. (8 squares); fly 150 ft. (perfect), swim 40 ft
Init: +6
AC 15; touch 15; flat-footed 13 (+4 deflection, +2 Dex, -1 size) {27; touch 11; flat-footed 25 (+16 natural, +2 Dex, -1 size)}
BAB +17; Grp +27
Attack Incorporeal touch +20 melee (5 Con) or bite +22 melee (2d6+6, x2)
Full-Attack Incorporeal touch +20 melee (5 Con) or bite +22 melee (2d6+6) and 2 claws +20 melee (1d8+3) and 2 wing slaps +20 melee (1d6+3) and tail slap +20 melee (1d8+9)
Space 10 ft.; Reach 5 ft. (10 ft. with bite)
Special Attacks Breath weapon DC 24, Constitution drain, frightful presence DC 20, spells (3rd level sorcerer)
Special Qualities Incorporeal, immunity to acid, DR 5/magic, SR 19, turn resistance 2, unnatural aura 75 ft., lifesense 75 ft., daylight powerlessness, create spawn, undead traits
Saves Fort +14 Ref +12 Will +12
Abilities Str 23, Dex 14, Con -, Int 14, Wis 15, Cha 18
Skills Meh
Feats Ability Focus (breath weapon), Combat Expertise, Combat Reflexes, Flyby Attack, Improved Initiative, Multiattack, Weapon Focus (incorporeal touch)
Alignment Lawful evil
Challenge Rating 12

Very Young Silver Dracowraith
Medium Undead (Incorporeal)
HD 10d12+20 (85 hp)
Speed 40 ft. (8 squares); fly 150 ft. (perfect)
AC 16; touch 16; flat-footed 14 (+4 deflection, +2 Dex) {21; touch 12; flat-footed 19 (+9 natural, +2 Dex)}
BAB +10; Grp +12
Attack Incorporeal touch +13 melee (2 Con) or bite +12 melee (1d8+2)
Full-Attack Incorporeal touch +13 melee (2 Con) or bite +12 melee (1d8+2) and 2 claws +10 melee (1d6+1) and 2 wing slaps +10 melee (1d4+1)
Space 5 ft.; Reach 5 ft.
Special Attacks Breath weapon DC 19, Constitution drain
Special Qualities Incorporeal, immunity to acid, immunity to cold, cloudwalking, alternate form, turn resistance 2, unnatural aura 30 ft., lifesense 30 ft., daylight powerlessness, create spawn, undead traits
Saves Fort +9 Ref +9 Will +9
Abilities Str 15, Dex 14, Con -, Int 14, Wis 15, Cha 18
Skills Meh
Feats Ability Focus (breath weapon), Improved Initiative, Multiattack, Weapon Focus (incorporeal touch)
Alignment Lawful evil
Challenge Rating 6

Young Red Dracowraith
Large Undead (Incorporeal)
HD 13d12+26 (110 hp)
AC 14; touch 14; flat-footed 12 (+3 deflection, +2 Dex, -1 size) {23; touch 11; flat-footed 21 (+12 natural, +2 Dex, -1 size)}
BAB +13; Grp +24
Attack Incorporeal touch +16 melee (3 Con) or bite +19 melee (2d6+7)
Full-Attack Incorporeal touch +16 melee (3 Con) or bite +19 melee (2d6+7) and 2 claws +17 melee (1d8+3) and 2 wing slaps +17 melee (1d6+3) and tail slap +17 melee (1d8+10)
Special Attacks Breath weapon DC 21, Constitution drain, spells (1st level sorcerer)
Special Qualities Incorporeal, immunity to fire, turn resistance 2, unnatural aura 45 ft., lifesense 45 ft., daylight powerlessness, create spawn, undead traits
Saves Fort +11 Ref +10 Will +9
Abilities Str 25, Dex 14, Con -, Int 12, Wis 13, Cha 16
Skills Meh
Feats Ability Focus (breath weapon), Flyby Attack, Improved Initiative, Multiattack, Weapon Focus (incorporeal touch)
Alignment Chaotic evil
Challenge Rating 8

Young Copper Dracowraith
Medium Undead (Incorporeal)
HD 11d12+22 (93 hp)
AC 16; touch 16; flat-footed 14 (+4 deflection, +2 Dex) {22; touch 12; flat-footed 20 (+10 natural, +2 Dex)}
BAB +11; Grp +13
Attack Incorporeal touch +14 melee (3 Con) or bite +13 melee (1d8+2)
Full-Attack Incorporeal touch +14 melee (3 Con) or bite +13 melee (1d8+2) and 2 claws +11 melee (1d6+1) and 2 wing slaps +11 melee (1d4+1)
Space 5 ft.; Reach 5 ft.
Special Attacks Breath weapon DC 19, Constitution drain, spells (1st level sorcerer)
Special Qualities Incorporeal, immunity to acid, spider climb, turn resistance 2, unnatural aura 45 ft., lifesense 45 ft., daylight powerlessness, create spawn, undead traits
Saves Fort +9 Ref +9 Will +9
Abilities Str 15, Dex 14, Con -, Int 14, Wis 15, Cha 18
Skills Meh
Feats Ability Focus (breath weapon), Improved Initiative, Multiattack, Weapon Focus (incorporeal touch)
Alignment Chaotic neutral
Challenge Rating 8

Wyrmling White Dracowraith
Tiny Undead (Incorporeal)
HD 3d12+6 (25 hp)
Speed 60 ft. (8 squares); fly 150 ft. (perfect), burrow 30 ft., swim 60 ft.
AC 14; touch 14; flat-footed 12 (+2 Dex, +2 size) {16; touch 14; flat-footed 14 (+2 natural, +2 Dex, +2 size)}
BAB +3; Grp -5
Attack Incorporeal touch +8 melee (1 Con) or bite +5 melee (1d8+2)
Full-Attack Incorporeal touch +8 melee (1 Con) or bite +5 melee (1d4) and 2 claws +0 melee (1d3)
Space 2 1/2 ft.; Reach 0 ft. (5 ft. with bite)
Special Attacks Breath weapon DC 14, Constitution drain
Special Qualities Incorporeal, immunity to cold, icewalking, turn resistance 2, unnatural aura 15 ft., lifesense 15 ft., daylight powerlessness, create spawn, undead traits
Saves Fort +4 Ref +5 Will +3
Abilities Str 11, Dex 14, Con -, Int 6, Wis 11, Cha 10
Skills Meh
Feats Ability Focus (breath weapon), Weapon Focus (incorporeal touch)
Alignment Chaotic evil
Challenge Rating 3

Serpentine
2009-06-05, 03:07 AM
They look great, thank you :smallsmile:

Serpentine
2009-06-05, 04:26 AM
Okay, so far I have:

Dracowraiths, young adult green, very young silver, young red, young copper, wyrmling white.
Skeletons (MMI), young adult gold dragon.
Zombie (MM!), young adult gold dragon.
Umbral (shadow?), juvenile red dragon.
Revived fossil, adult white dragon.
Mummy, young gold dragon.

Thank you very much everyone who's helped so far :smallsmile: Could I get some more skeletons and zombies in particular, but also maybe some of the others? This would certainly be enough for the first game, though...

arguskos
2009-06-05, 12:11 PM
Hmm. I'd ballpark a wyrmling dracolich w/ mature adult spellcasting, SR, and frightful presence to be around CR 8 or so. Now, shift that to a juvenile, and it'll probably be around 11-12. The issue with a wyrmling is that he'd be so much of a glass cannon it wouldn't even be funny. If your players are AT ALL competent (which I assume they are), the poor thing would die in a round or two, just based on low AC and HP. Your call of course. I'm happy to make whatever.

As a note, I've been massively busy. I haven't forgotten about this though (and even have a doc on my desktop named "dracolich for Serpentine". :smallbiggrin: Just PM me if you need something ASAP (I check my PMs more than threads).

Serpentine
2009-06-06, 05:33 AM
Juvenile could work okay, though I would consider keeping some other mature adult dragon features, like damage reduction or somesuch maybe. Worth noting that the party will be fighting against first 6 5th level and 1 10th level clerics and a bunch of undead, and then 6 somethingth level necromancers, 1 12th level necromancer, a stack of undead and any surviving clerics, immediately before going up against the dracolich (I'll probably give a round or two before it hatches).
edit: Oh, and if it helps, I'm thinking of having her flee before she loses more than about 3/4, maybe even 1/2, of her hit points.

Hey, what do you guys think of a holy symbol for a blue dracolich? The obvious one would be a dragon skull, would I could do and make pretty cool looking, closely followed by some other part of the dragon skeleton like a claw. Is it a bit passe, though?

afroakuma
2009-06-06, 07:30 AM
Thank you very much everyone who's helped so far :smallsmile: Could I get some more skeletons and zombies in particular, but also maybe some of the others? This would certainly be enough for the first game, though...

I'll see what I can do later today.

As for the holy symbol, what about the skulls of the other four chromatic dragons surmounted by the head and neck of a blue? Sort of like a blue-focused undead Tiamat symbol?

Serpentine
2009-06-07, 05:21 AM
Maybe, but I've always kinda thought that Tiamat's holy symbol was a bit... involved. I think a dragon skull could be alright, I'm just looking for some blue dragon, t-rex, other dinosaur, reptile and other skulls to see what I could do.
Wasn't there a bunch of diagrams of D&D dragon skeletons somewhere?

edit: Blue dracolich holy symbol #1. I went with my own dragon style, based the skull on the Tyrannosaurus rex skull, used a picture of a real sapphire for the coloury bits.

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h287/serpentine16/Art/Dracolich-Holy-Symbol.gif

Jair Barik
2009-06-07, 09:22 AM
In my game I have a side quest involving an undead pirate shipwreck on the coast which leads to a cave with treasure. As its boss I had a lvl 5 skeleton rogue and two lvl 2 skeleton clerics backed up by a skeleton dragon that rose out of a pit of cursed water beneath the players. The dragon was the main challenge the others being underlevelled to offer support/ healing.

I basically used a black dragon with d12 HD no constitution or intelligence (thus no spells). I kept its natural armour, spell like abilities, damage reduction and breath weapon and then gave it the undead rules, cold immunity and half dmg from slashing and piercing.

It stays pretty much the same CR (possibly slightly higher) but fitted the mood. try it with any of the dragons in the Monster handbook at any age category (its a nice way to have evil gold dragons)

Serpentine
2009-06-07, 12:47 PM
Thanks, but I don't think that's quite what I'm after - or rather, I think the dragon skeleton template is working better.

I've figured that the cultists, being uber-evil an' all, would make undead from good dragon children. So, if people are still up to undead dragon-building, juvenile and younger (maybe a few older ones) metallic undead dragons, zombies and skeletons (I don't think there's any ghoul or ghast templates that can be applied to dragons), with (almost) any creator-applied templates you like (not ones that make intelligent undead, although a self-aware undead good dragon that can't control its actions would be delightfully despicable), would be grand. They will also be made with:

Undead Mastery: All undead creatures created by a dread
necromancer who has reached 8th level or higher gain a
+4 enhancement bonus to Strength and Dexterity and 2
additional hit points per Hit Die.
In addition, when a dread necromancer uses the animate
dead spell to create undead, she can control 4 + her Charisma
bonus HD worth of undead creatures per class level (rather
than the 4 HD per level normally granted by the spell).
Similarly, when a dread necromancer casts the control undead
spell, the spell targets up to (2 + her Cha bonus) HD/level
of undead creatures, rather than the 2 HD/level normally
granted by the spell.There might be other enhancements (from feats or somesuch), but this is the only really consistent one.

Also, any thoughts on my holy symbol?

Thanks again for all y'all's help, y'all :smallsmile:

Jair Barik
2009-06-07, 01:26 PM
Well I can think of one possibile source for a holy symbol you could use
http://www.wizards.com/magic/images/mtgcom/arcana300/guildsymbols_Ravnica.jpg

There's 10 of these and i'm sure one of them featured a dragon, personally I think a draconic take on the 2nd in from the right would be pretty cool

arguskos
2009-06-07, 01:33 PM
Well I can think of one possibile source for a holy symbol you could use
http://www.wizards.com/magic/images/mtgcom/arcana300/guildsymbols_Ravnica.jpg

There's 10 of these and i'm sure one of them featured a dragon, personally I think a draconic take on the 2nd in from the right would be pretty cool
You mean this here.
http://www.wizards.com/magic/images/guildcrest_izzet.jpg

It's a good choice for a holy symbol, though that one you made Serp looks nice. :smallamused:

By the way, does the dracolich benefit from Undead Mastery?

Serpentine
2009-06-07, 01:43 PM
Nah, they're just reviving him, not creating him. Think I'll pretty much give him immediate control of most of the undead within range, though.

Thanks for that link, but I can't find the other 6.

arguskos
2009-06-07, 01:48 PM
Thanks for that link, but I can't find the other 6.
See above for the dragonish one. Here are the remaining five:
http://www.wizards.com/magic/images/guildcrest_orzhov.jpg
http://www.wizards.com/magic/images/guildcrest_gruul.jpg
http://www.wizards.com/magic/images/guildcrest_simic.jpg
http://www.wizards.com/magic/images/guildcrest_rakdos.jpg
http://wiki.mtgsalvation.com/images/thumb/e/e9/AzoriusCrest.jpg/70px-AzoriusCrest.jpg
There you are!

Jair Barik
2009-06-07, 01:53 PM
yep thats them alright
was having trouble finding a link to the images

Serpentine
2009-06-07, 01:54 PM
Hrm. So far, I'm thinking I like mine the best.

arguskos
2009-06-07, 02:11 PM
Hrm. So far, I'm thinking I like mine the best.
Yours, while very nice, is very large. If there is a way to scale it down to a reasonable size, that might work a touch better. I do like it though. :smallbiggrin:

Serpentine
2009-06-08, 12:10 AM
Done'd. Here it is again:
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h287/serpentine16/Art/Dracolich-Holy-Symbol.gif

Bhu
2009-06-08, 04:54 AM
Aww. Oh well.

When you get to high levels peek at the Legendary Undead templates on page 4 and 5 of the critter thread in my sig. Some of them should interest you :smallbiggrin:

Serpentine
2009-06-10, 12:00 AM
Heh, I'll see, but I'm expecting this campaign to end around level 15. Thanks, though.

Serpentine
2009-06-11, 11:48 PM
I should be running my game on Sunday, so if anyone has undead dragons to give me, post/email/PM* it to me asap if that's okay!
Would anyone be interested in me posting this whole adventure once it's all written up, in return for all the help?

*Probably not the best option, as my Inbox is at 96%. My email's in my profile.

arguskos
2009-06-12, 12:40 AM
I should be running my game on Sunday, so if anyone has undead dragons to give me, post/email/PM* it to me asap if that's okay!
Would anyone be interested in me posting this whole adventure once it's all written up, in return for all the help?

*Probably not the best option, as my Inbox is at 96%. My email's in my profile.
I can have the dracolich finished on Saturday if need be. Will this be a one-shot session?

Sorry it hasn't been sooner, but life has been.... YEAAAAAAH. >_< Moving+starting school again+D&D=no D&D gets done.

Serpentine
2009-06-12, 11:33 AM
I hope not! It'll hopefully go over several sessions. It won't matter so much with yours, because hopefully we won't get up to the dracolich for a few weeks, but for everyone else: Don't forget that Sunday gets to Australia earlier than a lot of the world.
Thanks again everyone :smallsmile: You've already given me some great stuff to work with.

paddyfool
2009-06-12, 11:47 AM
Just as a suggestion, a few followers of Chronepsis (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragon_deities#Chronepsis) could be cool NPCs to have in this setting. They might be all that survives of the former guardians of the graveyard, distressed about what the cultists are doing but unable to stop them, and they could supply your characters with intel etc. Don't know what race they'd be, but a few low level kobold warriors plus a couple sorcerors or adepts (no clerics) would make pretty good sense; and if kobolds, they might have some useful tunnels for your PCs to navigate the graveyard with.

Serpentine
2009-06-15, 12:24 AM
Edit: ^ Oh, I forgot. I had a bunch of standing stones carved with his mythology and symbols, and we got a whooooole lotta help from a ghostly saint of his (she did the hard bits of bringing one character out of a coma (see my save-or-die spell houserules) and refreshed everyone's spells). I thought it was a bit deus ex machinaey, but noone seemed to mind. I'm thinking I may have to do it again, though, if everyone's gonna not die...

Alright folks. I managed to scrape through the last session, though I did decide to take the opportunity from the dinner break to scratch up a dragon bodak. The dracowraiths were really good, too (though I did get thrown by the fact that their stat blocks didn't have all the information needed <.< My bad) - they kicked humanoid buttocks :smallbiggrin:
Now, though, I really want undead dragon awesomeness. All the variety I can get. Zombies and skeletons in particular, but any others anyone can think of would be grand (got enough dracowraiths, and I don't know whether a draconic ghoul is possible but I'd like a few if it is). It would also be very handy if the stat block included all the information I'll need to run them (within reason - don't worry about giving me the details of all their spells, for example, but at least the crunch of their special abilities and the like would be great).
I'd also like a stack of juvenile and younger metallic dragon zombies and skeletons, made with Undead Mastery (posted above).
We probably won't be playing for two weeks, but I'd like to have a heap by the end of this week so I can read over them and prepare properly.

Thanks again for all your help, and tell me what ya'll would like in return. Like I said, I could write up and post this whole adventure, or I could make some avatars, or... that's all I can think of.

Serpentine
2009-06-17, 09:06 AM
Just another bump (sorry if that's a problem, oh great mods <.<), cuz it's Wednesday now and I don't know whether anyone saw the last one... I'll start PMing apparently interesting parties in the next day or two, if this goes unnoticed.

afroakuma
2009-06-17, 09:12 AM
The dracowraiths were really good, too

Hooray! :smallsmile:

(though I did get thrown by the fact that their stat blocks didn't have all the information needed <.< My bad)

:smallredface: No, I think that one was my bad. Apologies. :smallredface:

For skelezombies, are we using the skeletal dragon/zombie dragon templates from the Draconomicon or the regular templates from the Monster Manual?

Lastly, ghoul dragons? I wonder... :smallwink:

Serpentine
2009-06-17, 09:43 AM
:smallredface: No, I think that one was my bad. Apologies. :smallredface:Eh. I didn't specify that I wanted all the information in one block, and I didn't read the templates and stat blocks you posted properly to realise that I needed more than you last posted.

For the sake of completeness: Draconomicon is preferred, but I'll live with Monster Manual.

afroakuma
2009-06-17, 09:45 AM
Just be warned, I won't put them on the skeletons because they have nothing that isn't already in the statblock.

afroakuma
2009-06-17, 10:21 AM
Skeletal Dragons
Skeletal Brass Wyrmling
Tiny Undead
HD 4d12+12 (38 hp)
Speed 60 ft. (12 squares)
AC 14; touch 12; flat-footed 12 (+2 Dex, +2 size)
BAB +4; Grp -2
Attack Bite +8 melee (1d4+2) or claw +8 melee (1d3+2)
Full-Attack Bite +8 melee (1d4+2) and 2 claws +3 melee (1d3+1)
Space 2˝ ft. Reach 0 ft. (5 ft. with bite)
Special Attacks
Special Qualities Immunity to fire and cold, DR 5/bludgeoning, undead traits
Saves Fort +4 Ref +6 Will +4
Abilities Str 15, Dex 14, Con -, Int -, Wis 10, Cha 10
Skills No
Feats Improved Initiative (B)
Alignment Neutral
Challenge Rating 2

Very Young Skeletal Bronze Dragon
Medium Undead
HD 9d12+27 (85 hp)
Speed 40 ft. (8 squares)
AC 14; touch 12; flat-footed 12 (+2 Dex, +2 natural armor)
BAB +9; Grp +13
Attack Bite +13 melee (1d8+4) or claw +13 melee (1d6+4)
Full-Attack Bite +13 melee (1d8+4) and 2 claws +8 melee (1d6+2) and 2 wings +8 melee (1d4+2)
Space 5 ft. Reach 5 ft.
Special Attacks
Special Qualities Immunity to electricity and cold, DR 5/bludgeoning, undead traits
Saves Fort +6 Ref +8 Will +6
Abilities Str 19, Dex 14, Con -, Int -, Wis 10, Cha 14
Skills No
Alignment Neutral
Challenge Rating 3

Young Skeletal Copper Dragon
Medium Undead
HD 11d12+33 (104 hp)
Speed 40 ft. (8 squares)
AC 14; touch 12; flat-footed 12 (+2 Dex, +2 natural armor)
BAB +11; Grp +15
Attack Bite +15 melee (1d8+4) or claw +15 melee (1d6+4)
Full-Attack Bite +15 melee (1d8+4) and 2 claws +10 melee (1d6+2) and 2 wings +10 melee (1d4+2)
Space 5 ft. Reach 5 ft.
Special Attacks
Special Qualities Immunity to acid and cold, DR 5/bludgeoning, undead traits
Saves Fort +7 Ref +9 Will +7
Abilities Str 19, Dex 14, Con -, Int -, Wis 10, Cha 14
Skills No
Alignment Neutral
Challenge Rating 4

Juvenile Skeletal Gold Dragon
Large Undead
HD 17d12+51 (161 hp)
Speed 60 ft. (12 squares)
AC 14; touch 11; flat-footed 12 (+3 natural armor, +2 Dex, -1 size)
BAB +17; Grp +32
Attack Bite +27 melee (2d6+11) or claw +27 melee (1d8+11)
Full-Attack Bite +27 melee (2d6+11) and 2 claws +22 melee (1d8+5) and 2 wings +10 melee (1d6+5) and tail slap +22 melee (1d8+16)
Space 10 ft. Reach 5 ft. (10 ft. with bite)
Special Attacks
Special Qualities Immunity to fire and cold, DR 5/bludgeoning, undead traits
Saves Fort +10 Ref +12 Will +10
Abilities Str 33, Dex 14, Con -, Int -, Wis 10, Cha 18
Skills No
Alignment Neutral
Challenge Rating 6

Young Skeletal Silver Dragon
Medium Undead
HD 13d12+39 (123 hp)
Speed 40 ft. (8 squares)
AC 14; touch 11; flat-footed 12 (+2 natural armor, +2 Dex)
BAB +13; Grp +18
Attack Bite +18 melee (1d8+5) or claw +18 melee (1d6+5)
Full-Attack Bite +18 melee (1d8+5) and 2 claws +13 melee (1d6+2) and 2 wings +13 melee (1d4+2)
Space 5 ft. Reach 5 ft.
Special Attacks
Special Qualities Immunity to acid and cold, DR 5/bludgeoning, undead traits
Saves Fort +8 Ref +10 Will +8
Abilities Str 21, Dex 14, Con -, Int -, Wis 10, Cha 16
Skills No
Alignment Neutral

Serpentine
2009-06-17, 11:05 AM
Thank you! These don't have the Undead Mastery thing applied, do they?

afroakuma
2009-06-17, 11:08 AM
Zombie Dragons
Young Brass Dragon Zombie
Medium Undead
HD 10d12+43 (108 hp)
Speed 60 ft. (12 squares); burrow 30 ft.; fly 200 ft. (clumsy)
Init: +1
AC 15; touch 11; flat-footed 14 (+4 natural, +1 Dex)
BAB +10; Grp +14
Attack Bite +14 melee (1d8+4) or claw +14 melee (1d6+4)
Full-Attack Bite +14 melee (1d8+4) and 2 claws +9 melee (1d6+2) and 2 wings +9 melee (1d4+2)
Space 5 ft. Reach 5 ft.
Special Attacks Breath weapon
Special Qualities Immunity to fire, DR 5/slashing, slow, undead traits
Saves Fort +7 Ref +8 Will +7
Abilities Str 19, Dex 12, Con -, Int -, Wis 10, Cha 6
Skills No
Feats Toughness (B)
Alignment Neutral
Challenge Rating 4

Breath Weapon (Su) A brass dragon zombie has two types of breath weapon, a 60 ft. line of fire (3d6/2 damage, Reflex DC 13 half) and a 30 ft. cone of sleep (Will DC 13 negates). Creatures within the cone must succeed on a Will save or fall asleep, regardless of HD, for 1d6+3 rounds.

Slow (Ex) A brass dragon zombie can perform only a single standard action or move action each round.

Juvenile Bronze Dragon Zombie
Large Undead
HD 15d12+63 (160 hp)
Speed 40 ft. (8 squares); fly 150 ft. (clumsy); swim 60 ft.
AC 18; touch 11; flat-footed 17 (+7 natural, +1 Dex)
BAB +15; Grp +23
Attack Bite +20 melee (2d6+6) or claw +20 melee (1d8+6)
Full-Attack Bite +20 melee (2d6+6) and 2 claws +15 melee (1d8+3) and 2 wings +15 melee (1d6+3) and tail slap +15 melee (1d8+9)
Special Qualities Immunity to electricity, DR 5/slashing, slow, undead traits
Saves Fort +9 Ref +10 Will +9
Abilities Str 23, Dex 12, Con -, Int -, Wis 10, Cha 12
Skills No
Feats Toughness (B)
Alignment Neutral
Challenge Rating 5

Breath Weapon (Su) A bronze dragon zombie has two types of breath weapon, an 80 ft. line of lightning (4d6 damage, Reflex DC 18 half) and a 40 ft. cone of repulsion gas (Will DC 18 negates). Creatures within the cone must succeed on a Will save or be compelled to do nothing but move away from the dragon for 1d6+4 rounds. This is a mind-affecting compulsion enchantment effect.

Slow (Ex) A bronze dragon zombie can perform only a single standard action or move action each round.

Young Copper Dragon Zombie
Medium Undead
HD 11d12+44 (115 hp)
Speed 40 ft. (8 squares); fly 150 ft. (clumsy)
AC 16; touch 11; flat-footed 15 (+5 natural, +1 Dex)
BAB +11; Grp +15
Attack Bite +15 melee (1d8+4) or claw +15 melee (1d6+4)
Full-Attack Bite +15 melee (1d8+4) and 2 claws +10 melee (1d6+2) and 2 wings +10 melee (1d4+2)
Space 5 ft. Reach 5 ft.
Special Qualities Immunity to acid, DR 5/slashing, slow, undead traits
Abilities Str 19, Dex 12, Con -, Int -, Wis 10, Cha 8
Skills No
Feats Toughness (B)
Alignment Neutral
Challenge Rating 4

Breath Weapon (Su) A copper dragon zombie has two types of breath weapon, a 60 ft. line of acid (3d4 damage, Reflex DC 14 half) and a 30 ft. cone of slow gas (Fortitude DC 14 negates). Creatures within the cone must succeed on a Fortitude save or be slowed for 1d6+3 rounds.

Slow (Ex) A copper dragon zombie can perform only a single standard action or move action each round.

Very Young Gold Dragon Zombie
Large Undead
HD 11d12+44 (115 hp)
Speed 60 ft. (12 squares); fly 200 ft. (clumsy); swim 60 ft.
AC 14; touch 10; flat-footed 14 (+5 natural, +1 Dex, -1 size)
BAB +11; Grp +18
Attack Bite +17 melee (2d6+7) or claw +17 melee (1d8+7)
Full-Attack Bite +17 melee (2d6+7) and 2 claws +12 melee (1d8+3) and 2 wings +12 melee (1d6+3) and tail slap +12 melee (1d8+10)
Special Qualities Immunity to fire, DR 5/slashing, slow, undead traits
Abilities Str 25, Dex 12, Con -, Int -, Wis 10, Cha 10
Skills No
Feats Toughness (B)
Alignment Neutral
Challenge Rating 4

Breath Weapon (Su) A gold dragon zombie has two types of breath weapon, a 40 ft. cone of fire (2d10 damage, Reflex DC 15 half) and a 40 ft. cone of weakening gas (Fortitude DC 15 negates). Creatures within a cone of weakening gas must succeed on a Fortitude save or take 2 points of Strength damage.

Slow (Ex) A gold dragon zombie can perform only a single standard action or move action each round.

Silver Wyrmling Zombie
Small Undead
HD 7d12+31 (76 hp)
Speed 40 ft. (8 squares); fly 100 ft. (poor)
AC 15; touch 12; flat-footed 14 (+3 natural, +1 Dex, +1 size)
BAB +7; Grp +6
Attack Bite +11 melee (1d6+3) or claw +11 melee (1d4+3)
Full-Attack Bite +11 melee (1d6+3) and 2 claws +6 melee (1d4+1)
Space 5 ft. Reach 5 ft.
Special Qualities Immunity to acid and cold, DR 5/slashing, slow, undead traits
Saves Fort +5 Ref +6 Will +5
Abilities Str 17, Dex 12, Con -, Int -, Wis 10, Cha 8
Skills No
Feats Toughness (B)
Alignment Neutral
Challenge Rating 3

Breath Weapon (Su) A silver dragon zombie has two types of breath weapon, a 20 ft. cone of cold (1d8 damage, Reflex DC 12 half) and a cone of paralyzing gas (Fortitude DC 12 negates). Creatures within a cone of paralyzing gas must succeed on a Fortitude save or be paralyzed for 1d6+1 rounds.

Slow (Ex) A copper dragon zombie can perform only a single standard action or move action each round.

afroakuma
2009-06-17, 11:09 AM
Thank you! These don't have the Undead Mastery thing applied, do they?

Actually, they all do. Extra 2 hp per die, +4 Str and Dex. So do the zombies. :smallsmile:

Serpentine
2009-06-17, 11:14 AM
Yay! Thank you ^_^ This is gonna be so evil :smallamused:
Sounds like the consensus (such as it is) is "deus ex machinas are okay", so methinks my saint-lady is gonna make another appearance...

afroakuma
2009-06-18, 09:36 AM
New toys for the snake lady!

Ghoulish Dragon

The hideous, festering disease known as ghoul fever has dragged many a humanoid into the cold and fetid state of undeath. As its unholy children, the ghouls, grow in power and morbid vigor, so too does this profane plague wax in might.

As its virulence swells, ghoul fever begins to consume other creatures, leaving most all of them for dead. A vile few known as ghoul lords, however, have managed to spread this wasting illness to some of the mightiest of beings - dragons. Rather than rot them away, the ghoul fever seems to revel in the potential of such a host. Should the dragon die from this hideous infection, it will rise as a new abomination - a ghoulish dragon.

Creating a Ghoulish Dragon

"Ghoulish" is an acquired template that can be added to any dragon (hereafter referred to as the base dragon). A ghoulish dragon uses all the base creature's statistics and special abilities, except as noted here.

Size and Type The creature's type changes to undead, and it loses whatever subtypes it may have had in life. Size is unchanged.

Hit Dice The base dragon's hit dice remain the same, but it loses any Constitution bonus to its hit points (see Abilities, below). However, a ghoulish dragon gains bonus hit points equal to twice its HD.

Speed A ghoulish dragon retains all the speeds it had in life, though its flight maneuverability drops by one class (to a minimum of clumsy).

Armor Class Replace a ghoulish dragon's natural armor bonus with the bonus listed below based on its size:

{table=head]Size|Nat. Armor
Up to Tiny|+0
Small|+1
Medium|+2
Large|+3
Huge|+4
Gargantuan|+6
Colossal|+10[/table]

Attacks A ghoulish dragon retains the attacks it had in life; its bite and claw attacks now deliver ghoul paralysis, and its bite delivers ghoul fever as well.

Special Attacks A ghoulish dragon retains its breath weapons and any extraordinary attacks of the base dragon, but loses any other supernatural and spell-like abilities it may have had. The ghoulish dragon gains the special attacks described below. Saves against a ghoulish dragon's special attacks (including those of the base dragon) have a DC of 10 + 1/2 ghoulish dragon's HD + Cha modifier unless otherwise noted.

Breath Weapon (Su) In addition to any breath weapons it may have had in life, a ghoulish dragon gains a horrible exhalation of fetid, acrid gas that carries the crippling disease of the ghouls. This cone deals 1d4 acid damage per age category of the base dragon. Additionally, creatures within the area of the breath must make a Fortitude save at a +2 bonus or be afflicted with ghoul fever (see below). This breath weapon can be used once every 1d4 rounds.

Ghoul Fever (Su) Disease - bite, Fortitude DC varies, incubation period 1 day, damage 1d4+1 Con and 1d4+1 Dex. The save DC is Charisma-based. An afflicted humanoid who dies of ghoul fever rises as a ghoul at the next midnight. A humanoid of 4 HD or more rises as a ghast, not a ghoul. Otherwise, this functions identically to a ghoul's ghoul fever ability.

Paralysis (Ex) Those hit by a ghoulish dragon's bite or claw attack must succeed on a Fortitude save or be paralyzed for a number of rounds equal to 1d4 plus the ghoulish dragon's Cha modifier. Elves are immune to this paralysis; dragons are not. The save DC is Charisma-based.

Special Qualities A ghoulish dragon loses all of the supernatural and spell-like special qualities of the base dragon, except as follows: If the base dragon had any immunities based on its subtype, it keeps those immunities despite losing the subtype. It also gains additional special qualities as noted below:

Turn Resistance (Ex) A ghoulish dragon has +2 turn resistance.

Undead Traits A ghoulish dragon is immune to all mind-affecting effects (charms, compulsions, phantasms, patterns, and morale effects), poison, sleep effects, paralysis, stunning, disease, death effects and any effect that requires a Fortitude save (unless the effect also works on objects or is harmless). It is not subject to critical hits, nonlethal damage, ability drain, energy drain, ability damage to its physical ability scores (Strength, Dexterity, and Constitution), fatigue, exhaustion or death from massive damage. It cannot be raised, and resurrection will only work if it is willing. It has darkvision out to 60 feet (unless the base dragon had a greater range).

Saves A ghoulish dragon is immune to any effect that requires a Fortitude save, unless the effect also works on objects or is harmless.

Abilities A ghoulish dragon increases its ability scores as follows: Str +2, Dex +4, Int +2, Wis +4, Cha +2. A ghoulish dragon has no Constitution score.

Organization Solitary or with 1d6 ghouls.

Challenge Rating Same as the base dragon -1

Treasure None

Alignment Usually chaotic evil, may remain same as the base dragon

arguskos
2009-06-18, 12:59 PM
After TOO damn long (many apologies Serp, it's been a rough few weeks here >_<), I present you, Afinahusaka Cocheta! I gave her some basic gear, nothing fancy, lots of her money is freed up. I did up her spells, but feel free to switch them about.

Afinahusaka Cocheta!
Huge Undead (Earth)
HD 24d12 (156 hp)
Speed 40 ft (8 squares); burrow 20 ft, fly 150 ft (poor)
Init: +4
AC 33; touch 8; flat-footed 33 (-2 size, +25 natural)
BAB +24; Grp +41
Attack Bite +33 (2d8+9+paralysis) or claw +33 (2d6+4+paralysis) or wing +33 (1d8+4+paralysis) or tail slap +33 (2d6+13+paralysis)
Full-Attack Bite +33 (2d8+9+paralysis) and 2 claws +28 (2d6+4+paralysis) and 2 wings +28 (1d8+4+paralysis) and tail slap +28 (2d6+13+paralysis).
Space 15 ft.; Reach 10 ft. (15 ft. with bite)
Special Attacks Crush (Reflex DC 29 to avoid, 2d8+13+paralysis damage if the crush hits); breath weapon (line of lightning, 14d8 electricity damage, Reflex DC 29 for half); spells; paralyzing gaze (Fort DC 29 negates, success means the target is forever immune to this dracolich's gaze, failure means the target is paralyzed for 2d6 rounds), paralyzing touch (Fort DC 29 negates, success means the target is not paralyzed, but is still susceptible to later touches, failures means the target is paralyzed for 2d6 rounds)
Special Qualities Frightful presence (Will DC 29); SR 25; DR 10/magic and 5/bludgeoning; sound imitation (at will); spell-like abilities; control undead
Saves Fort +14 Ref +14 Will +17
Abilities Str 29, Dex 10, Con -, Int 16, Wis 17, Cha 24
Skills Bluff +31, Concentration +27, Hide +27, Intimidate +31, Listen +30, Search +30, Sense Motive +31, Spot +30, Use Magic Device +31
Feats (9 total) Power Attack, Improved Initiative, Recover Breath, Tempest Breath, Clinging Breath, Large and In Charge, Leadership, Arcane Strike, your choice
Environment Dragon Graveyard
Organization Solitary, or with Cultists (1 dracolich+lots of cultists)
Challenge Rating 19
Treasure 144,000 gp plus equipment
Alignment Lawful Evil
Advancement by class

Spell-like abilities: 3/day- ventriloquism, create/destroy water

Control Undead- usable once per three days at caster level 15th; the dracolich cannot cast spells while this ability is in effect

Spells/day: 6/7/7/5
Spells Known: 7/5/3/2
0- resistance, detect magic, read magic, mage hand, prestidigitation, acid splash, virtue
1- shield of faith, shield, mage armor, silent image, ray of enfeeblement
2- shatter, glitterdust, alter self
3- dispel magic, animate dead

Equipment-
-lesser metamagic rod of extend
-cloak of charisma +6

I built her to be a combat critter. I figured that even though she no longer qualifies for her metabreath feats (lack of a Con score) dracoliches should get to keep them anyways. I left most of her gear up to you, along with one last feat slot (I was running out of ideas, though I was looking at Flyby Attack). She'll be quite the beast for most parties. I wouldn't want to fight her anyways. :smallsmile:

Her basic combat routine would probably go thusly: use buff rounds to cast shield of faith, shield, and mage armor, all extended with the rod he has, open with a breath or two (probably altered with Clinging and Tempest to be as devastating as possible), and then wade in there, Power Attacking and Arcane Striking until everyone falls over.

She's fairly easy to scale down should you wish to. Just reduce the attack bonus and reduce the HP some and it'll work out fine. The formula for all her saves and things is 10+half HD+Cha mod, so that's easy to rescale.

It's not OMG overpowering, but it's a good solid baddie. Hope you like it! If you've got any questions, just let me know.

Serpentine
2009-06-20, 11:57 PM
Thanks guys :smallsmile: (I think I keep getting you two mixed up...)

Arg: Don't worry about equipment, he won't have any when he turns up. Do dracoliches really get so few spells/spell-like abilities? :smallconfused: I'll have to look that up...

Anyone fancy applying that Ghoulish template? To... I dunno, what dragons do we have left?

Dracowraiths, young adult green, very young silver, young red, young copper, wyrmling white.
Skeletons (MMI), young adult gold dragon.
Skeletons (Drac, Undead Mastery), wyrmling brass, very young bronze, young copper, juvenile gold, young silver dragons.
Zombie (MM1), young adult gold dragon.
Zombie (Drac, Undead Mastery), young brass, juvenile bronze, young copper, very young gold, silver wyrmling dragons.
Umbral (shadow?), juvenile red dragon.
Revived fossil, adult white dragon.
Mummy, young gold dragon.
Dracolich, [some age] blue dragon.

Maybe some black dragons? They seem like they'd eat other dragons...

arguskos
2009-06-21, 12:11 AM
Arg: Don't worry about equipment, he won't have any when he turns up. Do dracoliches really get so few spells/spell-like abilities? :smallconfused: I'll have to look that up...
I figured he'd have the cultists give him a few choice toys when he wakes up, just so he's got something to defend himself with.

Also, yeah. Mature Adult Blue's don't have much in the way of magic. Give 'im some spellcasting levels though, and go to town. :smallwink:

Serpentine
2009-06-24, 10:24 AM
I may just whack on a few spells he can cast or something. And if all goes the way it's meant to, he won't have any friends backing him up...
Um... I think I'm meant to be running this game this weekend... Anyone up to ghoulifying some dragons?

afroakuma
2009-06-24, 11:48 AM
Any specific requests to be ghoulified, Serp? You name 'em, I'll do up another five.

Frog Dragon
2009-06-24, 11:56 AM
Currently in process of ghoulifying a Young Adult Iron Dragon from the issue 356 of the Dragon Magazine.

Here's one.

Ghoulish Young Adult Iron Dragon
Huge Undead
HD:19d12+38+38 (199
Initiative: +4
AC: 16 (-2 Size, +4 Dex, +4 Natural), Touch 12, Flat Footed 12
Base Attack/Grapple: +19/+46
Attack: Bite +38 (2d8+14+paralysis+Ghoul Fever) or claw +38(2d6+7+paralysis) or wing +38 (1d8+7+) or tail slap +38 (2d6+21)
Full Attack: Bite +38 (2d8+14+paralysis+Ghoul Fever) and 2 claws +38 (2d6+7+paralysis) and 2 wings +38 (1d8+7) and tail slap +38 (2d6+21).
Special Attacks: Ghoul Fever, Ghould Paralysation, Breath Weapons DC 24, Crush Attack (2d8+21 Damage) DC 24
Special Qualities: Low Light Vision 4x as well as human. Darkvision 120ft, Blindsense 60ft, SR 19, Immunity to Sleep and Paralysis, Immunity to Fire, Frightful Presence., DR5/Magic, Turn Resistance +2, Undead Traits, Vulnerability to Cold
Space/Reach: 15ft/10ft (15ft with Bite)
Speed: 40ft, Burrow 40ft, Fly 150ft (Clumsy)
Saves: Fort +11, Ref + 15, Will +17
Abilities: Str 39, Dex 18, Con -, Int 20, Wis 23, Cha 20
Skills: Concentration +16, Diplomacy +8 Disguise +27, Gather Informtion +27, Intimidate +16, Jump +22, Listen +17, Sense Motive +8, Spot +17, Use Magic Device +16
If the dragon started of ghoulish:
Concentration +16,Disguise +27, Gather Information +27, Hide +15, Intimidate +16 Jump +36, Listen +17 Sense Motive +17 Use Magic Device + 16
Feats: Multiattack (1st), Improved Multiattack (3rd), Shape Breath (6th), Wingover (9th), Flyby Attack (12th), Split Breath (15th), Enlarge Breath (18th)
Alingment: Evil
CR: 12

Special Attacks

Breath Weapons (Su)
Once every 1d4 round the dragon can use a breath weapon (DC 24)
1. 50ft cone of Superheated Sparks for 10d10 damage. Half of it is Fire and half of it is Electricity Damage
2. 50ft cone of sleep gas. Will save or fall asleep regardless of HD for 1d6+5 rounds
3. A 50ft cone of gas that carries ghoul fever. This cone deals 5d4 Acid Damage and forces a Fortitude Save at a +2 bonus or contract Ghoul Fever.

Ghoul Fever (Su) Disease - bite, Fortitude DC varies, incubation period 1 day, damage 1d4+1 Con and 1d4+1 Dex. The save DC is Charisma-based. An afflicted humanoid who dies of ghoul fever rises as a ghoul at the next midnight. A humanoid of 4 HD or more rises as a ghast, not a ghoul. Otherwise, this functions identically to a ghoul's ghoul fever ability.

Paralysis (Ex) Those hit by a ghoulish dragon's bite or claw attack must succeed on a Fortitude save or be paralyzed for a number of rounds equal to 1d4+5. Elves are immune to this paralysis; dragons are not. The save DC is Charisma-based.

Crush Attack (Ex) This dragon can, when flying make a crush attack as a standard attack against any number of opponents under it. The target of a crush attack must be three or more size categories smaller than the dragon (aka Small or Smaller.) Creatures in the area must succeed on a DC 24 Reflex Save or be Pinned. The dragon may choose to try to maintain the pin as per the normal grapple rules. Creatures that are pinned take 2d8+21 damage each round, but do not take any damage the round the crush is initiated.

Special Qualities

Turn Resistance (Ex)
A ghoulish dragon has +2 turn resistance.

Undead Traits A ghoulish dragon is immune to all mind-affecting effects (charms, compulsions, phantasms, patterns, and morale effects), poison, sleep effects, paralysis, stunning, disease, death effects and any effect that requires a Fortitude save (unless the effect also works on objects or is harmless). It is not subject to critical hits, nonlethal damage, ability drain, energy drain, ability damage to its physical ability scores (Strength, Dexterity, and Constitution), fatigue, exhaustion or death from massive damage. It cannot be raised, and resurrection will only work if it is willing.

Spell Resistance
This Dragon has SR 19

Methods of Sight/Senses (Ex)
In addition tto normal sight this dragon has Blindsense up to 60ft. Darkvision up to 120ft. And a low light vision to 4x higher distance than a human.

Frightful Presence (Ex)
Creatures with less HD than this Dragon within 150ft must make a will save (DC) or be panicked for 4d6 rounds anytime the dragon charges, attacks or flies overhead if they have 4 or less hd. Creatures with 5 or more HD are only Shaken for the duration if they fail the save. A succesful save also means that you are immune to that particular dragons frightful presence for 24 hours. Dragons ignore the frightful precenses of other dragons.

Immunity/Vulnerability (Ex)
This dragon is immune to Fire but vulnerable to cold, Also immune to Sleep and Paralysis effects.

Damage Reduction (Ex)
This dragon has DR5/Magic

If it started of ghoulish then you could just drop the Metabreaths and replace them.
BTW: Standard Iron Dragons are Lawful Neutral

Serpentine
2009-06-24, 11:33 PM
Oooooh, Iron...

Any, really, Afro. Perhaps more chromatic ones - for example, I don't have many black ones yet.

Thanks guys :smallsmile:

And, asking yet again: Would it make up for all this effort, at all, if I posted a write-up of the adventure?

Serpentine
2009-06-26, 11:13 PM
Aight folks, the game's in 24 hours. Can I get anything you've done?
Thanks yet again, and don't forget to ask for compensation!

arguskos
2009-06-26, 11:19 PM
Aight folks, the game's in 24 hours. Can I get anything you've done?
Thanks yet again, and don't forget to ask for compensation!
Did you need me to tweak the dracolich any? I can do that in the morning (within 24 hours). I actually have to get running. Damn schoolwork.

Serpentine
2009-06-26, 11:35 PM
Could you whack on a few levels of spells, with or without accompanying spellcaster levels? And maybe run up a quick draft of how you'd newbornify it for a CR of 9-10ish?
If it'll take you away from schoolwork, though, dont' worry about it - it's no good me trying to catch up on work by making someone else fall behind :smalltongue:

arguskos
2009-06-27, 01:23 AM
Could you whack on a few levels of spells, with or without accompanying spellcaster levels? And maybe run up a quick draft of how you'd newbornify it for a CR of 9-10ish?
If it'll take you away from schoolwork, though, dont' worry about it - it's no good me trying to catch up on work by making someone else fall behind :smalltongue:
I'll take a look, see what I can do. It's no issue. Nevermind that, it's done!

Afinahusaka Cocheta!
Large Undead (Earth)
HD 15d12 (97 hp)
Speed 40 ft (8 squares); burrow 20 ft, fly 150 ft (poor)
Init: +4
AC 25; touch 9; flat-footed 25 (-1 size, +16 natural)
BAB +15; Grp +23
Attack Bite +19 (2d6+4+paralysis) or claw +19 (1d8+2+paralysis) or wing +19 (1d6+2+paralysis) or tail slap +19 (1d8+6+paralysis)
Full Attack Bite +19 (2d6+4+paralysis) and two claws +17 (1d8+2+paralysis) and two wings +17 (1d6+2+paralysis) and tail slap +17 (1d8+6+paralysis)
Special Attacks Breath weapon (line of lightning, 8d8 electricity damage, Reflex DC 23 for half); spells; paralyzing gaze (Fort DC 23 negates, success means the target is forever immune to this dracolich's gaze, failure means the target is paralyzed for 2d6 rounds), paralyzing touch (Fort DC 23 negates, success means the target is not paralyzed, but is still susceptible to later touches, failures means the target is paralyzed for 2d6 rounds)
Special Qualities Sound imitation (at will); spell-like abilities; control undead
Saves Fort +9 Ref +9 Will +11
Abilities Str 19, Dex 10, Con -, Int 14, Wis 15, Cha 22
Skills Bluff +24, Concentration +18, Hide +18, Intimidate +24, Listen +20, Search +20, Sense Motive +24, Spot +18, Use Magic Device +24
Feats (6 total) Improved Initiative, Energy Substitution (sonic), Power Attack, Multiattack, Extend Spell, Violate Spell (see below)
Environment Dragon Graveyard
Organization Solitary, or with Cultists (1 dracolich+lots of cultists)
Challenge Rating 10-ish
Treasure equipment
Alignment Lawful Evil
Advancement by class

Spell-like abilities: 3/day- create/destroy water

Control Undead- usable once per three days at caster level 15th; the dracolich cannot cast spells while this ability is in effect

Spells/day: 6/8/8/8/6/4
Spells Known: 9/5/4/3/2/1
0- resistance, detect magic, read magic, mage hand, prestidigitation, acid splash, virtue
1- shield of faith, shield, mage armor, silent image, ray of enfeeblement
2- shatter, glitterdust, scorching ray, bull's strength
3- dispel magic, animate dead, haste
4- inflict critical wounds, divine power
5- flame strike

Equipment-
-cloak of charisma +6

I reduced it to Juvenile stats, and gave it the equivalent of Sor 10 casting. I left it the gear, since it's the Big Bad and all that, and should have some good gear.

Concerning the feat selection, I decided to shift it around so that it reflected the focus on spellcasting. Extend Spell is obvious. Energy Sub (sonic) is pretty awesome, letting you turn flame strike and scorching ray into sonic damage, which no one comes prepared for. Violate Spell is from the Book of Vile Darkness (I hope that's alright). It's a +1 metamagic that turns half the damage dealt by the spell into vile damage, which can only be healed with cures cast in a consecrated or hallowed area. I took it to show just HOW evil this dragon is. Use it on Scorching Ray or Inflict Critical for laughs. :smallamused:

Note: Technically, Violate Spell only applies to one spell, chosen when you take the feat. I think that's stupid, so I ignored it. If you don't wish to, then I suggest it applies to Scorching Ray.

The spell list is mostly self-explanatory. If you have any questions, just ask 'em.

EDIT: I'll be back on in around 12 hours. If you need anything done to said dracolich, just post and I'll alter it. :smallsmile:

Frog Dragon
2009-06-27, 03:48 AM
I'll see if I can finish the ghoulish very young green and black dragons I've been cooking.

Serpentine
2009-06-27, 04:29 AM
Arguskos: That looks really great, thanks :smallsmile: When I was adding more stuff to my treasure tables (if anyone's interested in a copy when it's "done" let me know, but it'll be a long while) I ignored Vile-related stuff as an extra complication. I dunno, though, it could be pretty good... What's an in-game fluffy way to describe it, though? And I'm still iffy about her having stuff... She will be, literally, coming out of an egg. On the other hand, there's nothing to say her cultists wouldn't have put some very personal item of hers at hand... You know what, let's change that to some other, more dragon-becoming item (a crown, maybe? A great big gorget or collar?), keep the +6 Cha, and chuck on some other despicable stuff. Any thoughts?

Frog Dragon: That would be great if you could. Thanks.

Man I'm saying thanks a lot... But I means it!

I'm thinking of having the deus ex machina ghost-saint give the party an item just before they face the cultists. I'm thinking something like a "Staff (or can a rod do multiple things?) of Last Chances". I haven't looked properly at my options, but I'm thinking of it doing things like: that Last Breath or whatever the spell is, that lets you cast Raise Dead very quickly (standard action?) but only within a round (or a few) of death; something that allows a second saving throw; a self-detonation like the Staff of Power ("Your party's all dead and the BBEG who's gonna go on to Destroy All Humans gloats over your quickly failing body. What do you do?" "I activate the Immolation of my staff." "Your see a white-hot flash, then nothing. And that's what's left: Everything in the cavern has been annhialated. Even the stones are melted. Your soul goes to Celestia easy in the knowledge that this evil, at least, is no threat." Hm... that ended up dramatic...); other stuff I can't think of. Any more thoughts?

arguskos
2009-06-27, 05:59 AM
Switch the cloak to a gorget, give her the ability to use her metamagic feats without increasing casting time (remember, she has sorc casting, so casting time is now an issue :smallannoyed:), and maybe something fluff-related to this particular dragon, and it'd be awesome.

As for the Vile, her spells are SO foul, that the black and tainted energies can only be healed by especially pure magics. The spells crackle with a touch of evil when they are cast (scorching ray produces rays of energy that swirl with dark energies; inflict critical isn't just negative energy, it's made of malevolent darkness that feeds off your life force). They drain your very being, not just burn you or whatever. :smallwink:

Also, here, have a Staff of the Hero:

Staff of the Hero
A staff of the hero contains the following spells:
1 charge: revenance (that return to life spell; lasts 1 min/level)
2 charges: ruin delver's fortune (check on this in the Spell Compendium, it fits the bill)
A staff of the hero may be activated as an immediate action, provided the wielder is holding it in hand. A staff of the hero is made with 50 charges.

Serpentine
2009-06-27, 06:05 AM
Oh yeah, that's the other thing I was thinking: charges, or times/day? If charges, should I make it that it can only be charged by a particular person/worshiper of a particular (type of) deity/under certain circumstances? And are there any other things it should do? Those two were just what came immediately to mind. Basically, I'm thinking "things that will save your life/the life of your allies/your quest at the very last instant". There's also that ability - I think it was part of a magic weapon, not a spell - that increases the damage you do depending on how many hit points you have left (vHP=^dmg)...
edit: I just realised, revenance isn't a bad one, but the one I'm thinking of is like Raise Dead except it's quick, can only be cast within a couple of rounds at best, and, I think, you're only raised to 0hp or something like that.

nysisobli
2009-06-27, 06:25 AM
Vaporizing Zombie juvinile black dragon
Large Undead
HD 15d12+75 (173 hp)
Speed 40 ft. (8 squares); fly 80 ft. (clumsy); swim 80 ft.
AC 22; touch 11; flat-footed 17 (+13 natural, +1 Dex)
BAB +16; Grp +24
Attack Bite +21 melee (2d6+6+3 acid) or claw +21 melee (1d10+6)
Full-Attack Bite +21 melee (2d6+6+3) and 2 claws +16 melee (1d10+3) and 2 wings +16 melee (1d4+3) and tail slap +15 melee (1d6+4)
Special Qualities Immunity to acid, slow, undead traits
Saves Fort +9 Ref +10 Will +9
Abilities Str 23, Dex 12, Con -, Int -, Wis 10, Cha 12
Skills None
Feats power attack
Alignment Neutral
Challenge Rating 5

Vaporized explosion: When destroyed this dragon explodes into a 20x20 cloud of corrosive acid, the acid does 6d6 a round, and lingers for 4 rounds, 22 fortitude save for half. This effect can be blown away by gust of wind.

Breath attack: This dragon can breath a cone of acid 60ft, 8d6+10, once every 1d6 rounds, reflex 20 for half

Serpentine
2009-06-27, 06:42 AM
Whoa... Very spiffy! :smallbiggrin: Thanks.

nysisobli
2009-06-27, 06:43 AM
No problem the little blowing up thing is something i roll on a chart for, dependeing on the undead they have a 25% chance of getting it, and then i roll elements, and what not. My players hate it =) Nothing like taking down an army of undead when the one you just killed kills you back =)

Serpentine
2009-06-27, 07:37 AM
Black dragons have an acid breath, don't they? Did you roll that randomly, or match it to the dragon?

afroakuma
2009-06-27, 09:04 AM
Ghoulish Dragons
Ghoulish Black Wyrmling
Tiny Undead
HD 4d12+8 (34 hp)
Speed 60 ft. (12 squares); fly 100 ft. (poor), swim 60 ft.
Init: +2
AC 14; touch 14; flat-footed 12 (+2 Dex, +2 size)
BAB +4; Grp -3
Attack Bite +7 melee (1d4+1 and paralysis and ghoul fever) or claw +7 melee (1d3+1 and paralysis)
Full-Attack Bite +7 melee (1d4+1 and paralysis and ghoul fever) and 2 claws +2 melee (1d3+1 and paralysis)
Space 2 1/2 ft. Reach 0 ft. (5 ft. with bite)
Special Attacks Breath weapon, paralysis, ghoul fever
Special Qualities Immunity to acid, water breathing, turn resistance +2, undead traits
Saves Fort +4 Ref +6 Will +6
Abilities Str 13, Dex 14, Con -, Int 10, Wis 15, Cha 10
Skills Meh
Feats Ability Focus (breath weapon), Ability Focus (ghoul fever)
Alignment Chaotic evil
Challenge Rating 2

Breath Weapon (Su) A ghoulish black wyrmling has two types of breath weapon, a 30 ft. line of acid (2d4 damage, Reflex DC 14 half) and a 15 ft. cone of infectious acidic gas (1d4 damage plus ghoul fever, Reflex DC 14 half).

Ghoul Fever (Su) Disease - bite, Fortitude DC 14, incubation period 1 day, damage 1d4+1 Con and 1d4+1 Dex. An afflicted humanoid who dies of ghoul fever rises as a ghoul at the next midnight. A humanoid of 4 HD or more rises as a ghast, not a ghoul. Otherwise, this functions identically to a ghoul's ghoul fever ability.

Paralysis (Ex) Those hit by a ghoulish black wyrmling's bite or claw attack must succeed on a Fortitude save (DC 12) or be paralyzed for 1d4 rounds. Elves are immune to this paralysis; dragons are not.

Juvenile Ghoulish Blue Dragon
Large Undead
HD 15d12+30 (127 hp)
Speed 40 ft. (8 squares); burrow 20 ft., fly 150 ft. (clumsy)
AC 14; touch 11; flat-footed 12 (+3 natural, +2 Dex, -1 size)
BAB +15; Grp +24
Attack Bite +20 melee (2d6+5 and paralysis and ghoul fever) or claw +19 melee (1d8+5 and paralysis)
Full-Attack Bite +20 melee (2d6+5 and paralysis and ghoul fever) and 2 claws +17 melee (1d8+2 and paralysis) and 2 wings +17 melee (1d6+2) and tail slap +17 melee (1d8+7)
Special Qualities Immunity to electricity, sound imitation, turn resistance +2, undead traits
Saves Fort +9 Ref +11 Will +13
Abilities Str 21, Dex 14, Con -, Int 16, Wis 19, Cha 16
Skills Meh
Feats Ability Focus (ghoul fever), Ability Focus (paralysis), Flyby Attack, Improved Initiative, Multiattack, Weapon Focus (bite)
Alignment Chaotic evil
Challenge Rating 7

Breath Weapon (Su) A juvenile ghoulish blue dragon has two types of breath weapon, an 80 ft. line of electricity (8d8 damage, Reflex DC 20 half) and a 40 ft. cone of infectious acidic gas (4d4 damage plus ghoul fever, Reflex DC 20 half).

Ghoul Fever (Su) Disease - bite, Fortitude DC 22, incubation period 1 day, damage 1d4+1 Con and 1d4+1 Dex. An afflicted humanoid who dies of ghoul fever rises as a ghoul at the next midnight. A humanoid of 4 HD or more rises as a ghast, not a ghoul. Otherwise, this functions identically to a ghoul's ghoul fever ability.

Paralysis (Ex) Those hit by a juvenile ghoulish blue dragon's bite or claw attack must succeed on a Fortitude save (DC 22) or be paralyzed for 1d4+3 rounds. Elves are immune to this paralysis; dragons are not.

Sound Imitation (Ex) A juvenile or older blue dragon can mimic any voice or sound it has heard, anytime it likes. Listeners must succeed on a Will save (DC 20) to detect the ruse.

Young Ghoulish Green Dragon
Medium Undead
HD 11d12+22 (93 hp)
Speed 40 ft. (8 squares); fly 150 ft. (clumsy), swim 40 ft.
AC 14; touch 12; flat-footed 12 (+2 natural, +2 Dex)
BAB +11; Grp +15
Attack Bite +16 melee (1d8+4 and paralysis and ghoul fever) or claw +15 melee (1d6+4 and paralysis)
Full-Attack Bite +16 melee (1d8+4 and paralysis and ghoul fever) and 2 claws +13 melee (1d6+2 and paralysis) and 2 wings +13 melee (1d4+2)
Space 5 ft. Reach 5 ft.
Special Qualities Immunity to acid, water breathing, turn resistance +2, undead traits
Saves Fort +7 Ref +9 Will +9
Abilities Str 19, Dex 14, Con -, Int 14, Wis 15, Cha 14
Skills Meh
Feats Ability Focus (breath weapon), Ability Focus (paralysis), Multiattack, Weapon Focus (bite)
Alignment Chaotic evil
Challenge Rating 4

Breath Weapon (Su) A young ghoulish green dragon has two types of breath weapon, a 30 ft. cone of corrosive gas (6d6 damage, Reflex DC 19 half) and a 30 ft. cone of infectious acidic gas (3d4 damage plus ghoul fever, Reflex DC 19 half).

Ghoul Fever (Su) Disease - bite, Fortitude DC 17, incubation period 1 day, damage 1d4+1 Con and 1d4+1 Dex. An afflicted humanoid who dies of ghoul fever rises as a ghoul at the next midnight. A humanoid of 4 HD or more rises as a ghast, not a ghoul. Otherwise, this functions identically to a ghoul's ghoul fever ability.

Paralysis (Ex) Those hit by a young ghoulish green dragon's bite or claw attack must succeed on a Fortitude save (DC 19) or be paralyzed for 1d4+2 rounds. Elves are immune to this paralysis; dragons are not.

Young Adult Ghoulish Red Dragon
Huge Undead
HD 19d12+38 (161 hp)
Speed 40 ft. (8 squares); fly 150 ft. (clumsy)
AC 14; touch 10; flat-footed 12 (+4 natural, +2 Dex, -2 size)
BAB +19; Grp +38
Attack Bite +29 melee (2d8+11 and paralysis and ghoul fever) or claw +28 melee (1d6+11 and paralysis)
Full-Attack Bite +29 melee (2d8+11 and paralysis and ghoul fever) and 2 claws +26 melee (2d6+5 and paralysis) and 2 wings +26 melee (1d8+5) and tail slap +26 melee (2d6+16)
Space 15 ft. Reach 10 ft. (15 ft. with bite)
Special Attacks Breath weapon, paralysis, ghoul fever, crush 2d8+16
Special Qualities Immunity to fire, DR 5/magic, frightful presence DC 22, turn resistance +2, undead traits
Saves Fort +11 Ref +13 Will +15
Abilities Str 33, Dex 14, Con -, Int 16, Wis 19, Cha 16
Skills Meh
Feats Ability Focus (breath weapon), Ability Focus (paralysis), Flyby Attack, Hover, Improved Initiative, Power Attack, Weapon Focus (bite)
Alignment Chaotic evil
Challenge Rating 12

Breath Weapon (Su) A juvenile ghoulish blue dragon has two types of breath weapon, a 50 ft. cone of fire (10d10 damage, Reflex DC 24 half) and a 50 ft. cone of infectious acidic gas (5d4 damage plus ghoul fever, Reflex DC 24 half).

Ghoul Fever (Su) Disease - bite, Fortitude DC 22, incubation period 1 day, damage 1d4+1 Con and 1d4+1 Dex. An afflicted humanoid who dies of ghoul fever rises as a ghoul at the next midnight. A humanoid of 4 HD or more rises as a ghast, not a ghoul. Otherwise, this functions identically to a ghoul's ghoul fever ability.

Paralysis (Ex) Those hit by a young adult ghoulish red dragon's bite or claw attack must succeed on a Fortitude save (DC 24) or be paralyzed for 1d4+3 rounds. Elves are immune to this paralysis; dragons are not.

Frightful Presence (Ex) The ability takes effect automatically whenever the ghoulish dragon attacks, charges, or flies overhead. Creatures within a radius of 150 feet are subject to the effect if they have fewer than 19 HD. A potentially affected creature that succeeds on a Will save (DC 22) remains immune to that ghoulish dragon's frightful presence for 24 hours. On a failure, creatures with 4 or less HD become panicked for 4d6 rounds and those with 5 or more HD become shaken for 4d6 rounds. Dragons ignore the frightful presence of other dragons.

Crush (Ex) When flying or jumping, a young adult ghoulish red dragon can land on opponents of Small or smaller size as a standard action, using its whole body to crush them. A crush attack affects as many creatures as can fit under the ghoulish dragon's body. Creatures in the affected area must succeed on a Reflex save (DC 24) or be pinned, automatically taking 2d8+16 bludgeoning damage during the next round unless the dragon moves off them. If the dragon chooses to maintain the pin, treat it as a normal grapple attack. Pinned opponents take 2d8+16 damage from the crush each round if they don’t escape.

Very Young Ghoulish White Dragon
Small Undead
HD 6d12+12 (51 hp)
Speed 60 ft. (12 squares); burrow 30 ft., fly 150 ft. (poor), swim 60 ft.
AC 14; touch 13; flat-footed 12 (+2 Dex, +1 natural, +1 size)
BAB +6; Grp +4
Attack Bite +10 melee (1d6+2 and paralysis and ghoul fever) or claw +15 melee (1d4+2 and paralysis)
Full-Attack Bite +10 melee (1d6+2 and paralysis and ghoul fever) and 2 claws +7 melee (1d4+1 and paralysis)
Space 5 ft. Reach 5 ft.
Special Qualities Immunity to cold, icewalking, turn resistance +2, undead traits
Saves Fort +5 Ref +7 Will +6
Abilities Str 15, Dex 14, Con -, Int 8, Wis 13, Cha 8
Skills Meh
Feats Ability Focus (breath weapon), Multiattack, Weapon Focus (bite)
Alignment Chaotic evil
Challenge Rating 3

Breath Weapon (Su) A very young ghoulish white dragon has two types of breath weapon, a 20 ft. cone of cold (2d6 damage, Reflex DC 14 half) and a 20 ft. cone of infectious acidic gas (2d4 damage plus ghoul fever, Reflex DC 14 half).

Ghoul Fever (Su) Disease - bite, Fortitude DC 12, incubation period 1 day, damage 1d4+1 Con and 1d4+1 Dex. An afflicted humanoid who dies of ghoul fever rises as a ghoul at the next midnight. A humanoid of 4 HD or more rises as a ghast, not a ghoul. Otherwise, this functions identically to a ghoul's ghoul fever ability.

Paralysis (Ex) Those hit by a very young ghoulish white dragon's bite or claw attack must succeed on a Fortitude save (DC 12) or be paralyzed for 1d4-1 rounds. Elves are immune to this paralysis; dragons are not.

Serpentine
2009-06-27, 11:45 AM
Great, thanks. I have a session pretty much all ready to go :smallcool:

Is there an incorporeal, burrowing or good-at-hiding undead that has a paralysis or similar attack/ability? I like the idea of the party groping through the darkened tunnel, unaware of the shadows peeling off behind them, incapacitating them one by one without their knowledge...

Okay, Afinahusaka's Gorget... +6 Cha, Sizing?, ummm... What else would be useful for a horrifying undying spellcasting ex-dragon commander of undead with ambitions of world rule? Maybe something to do with her breath weapon... Vile breath weapon? Could be nasty.

afroakuma
2009-06-27, 01:16 PM
Is there an incorporeal, burrowing or good-at-hiding undead that has a paralysis or similar attack/ability?

Some of those ghoulish dragons can burrow and all have paralysis.

Frog Dragon
2009-06-27, 03:45 PM
Ghoulish Very Young Green Dragon

Medium Undead
HD: 8d12+16+16 (84)
Initiative: +8
AC: 16 (+4 Dex, +2 Natural) Touch 14, Flat Footed 12
Base Attack/Grapple: +8/+13
Attack: Bite +13 (1d8+5+Ghoul Fever+Paralysation) or Claw +13 (1d6+2+Paralysation) or Wing +13 (1d4+2)
Full Attack: Bite +13 (1d8+5+Ghoul Fever+Paralysation) + 2x Claw +11 (1d6+2
+Paralysation) + 2x Wing +11 (1d4+2)
Special Attacks: Breath Weapons, Ghoul Fever, Paralysation
Special Qualities: Water Breathing (Ex), Low light vision 4x human. Darkvision 120ft, Blindsense 60ft
Space/Reach: 5ft/5ft
Speed: 40ft, 150 ft Fly (Poor), Swim 40ft
Saves: Fort +6, Ref +10, Will +8
Abilities: Str 21, Dex 18, Con -, Int 12, Wis 15, Cha 12
Skills: Bluff +12, Hide +15, Intimidate +6 Move Silently +15, Sense Motive +7, Spot +7
If ghoulish from the start, drop Sense Motive Ranks
Feats: Hover (1st), Flyby Attack (3rd), Multiattack (6th)
Alingment: Evil
CR: 3

Special Attacks

Breath Weapons (Su)
This dragon can use the following (DC 15) breath weapons every 1d4 rounds
1. A 30ft cone of Acid. 4d6 Acid Damage
2. Breath Weapon (Su) In addition to any breath weapons it may have had in life, a ghoulish dragon gains a horrible exhalation of fetid, acrid gas that carries the crippling disease of the ghouls. This cone deals 2d4 acid damage. Additionally, creatures within the area of the breath must make a Fortitude save at a +2 bonus or be afflicted with ghoul fever (see below). This breath weapon can be used once every 1d4 rounds.

Ghoul Fever (Su) Disease - bite, Fortitude DC varies, incubation period 1 day, damage 1d4+1 Con and 1d4+1 Dex. The save DC is 15. An afflicted humanoid who dies of ghoul fever rises as a ghoul at the next midnight. A humanoid of 4 HD or more rises as a ghast, not a ghoul. Otherwise, this functions identically to a ghoul's ghoul fever ability.

Paralysis (Ex) Those hit by a ghoulish dragon's bite or claw attack must succeed on a Fortitude save or be paralyzed for 1d4+1 rounds. Elves are immune to this paralysis; dragons are not. The save DC is 15.

Special Qualities

Water breathing (Su)
This dragon may breath indefinitely underwater (largely obsolete to an undead creature) and use breath weapons underwater

Turn Resistance (Ex) A ghoulish dragon has +2 turn resistance.

Undead Traits A ghoulish dragon is immune to all mind-affecting effects (charms, compulsions, phantasms, patterns, and morale effects), poison, sleep effects, paralysis, stunning, disease, death effects and any effect that requires a Fortitude save (unless the effect also works on objects or is harmless). It is not subject to critical hits, nonlethal damage, ability drain, energy drain, ability damage to its physical ability scores (Strength, Dexterity, and Constitution), fatigue, exhaustion or death from massive damage. It cannot be raised, and resurrection will only work if it is willing. It has darkvision out to 60 feet (unless the base dragon had a greater range).

I'm afraid mister black dragon won't be up in time. I'm slow with these:smallfrown:

Obrysii
2009-06-27, 04:25 PM
Just a few things - I am sorry if these are worthless to you, since I have not read all of the thread (shocking, I know).

Both are from a past campaign:

Great White Skeleton Wyrm
Gargantuan Undead
Hit Dice: 36d12+36 (252hp)
Initiative: +4 (Improved Initiative)
Speed: 60ft., Swim 60ft., Burrow 30ft.
AC: 12 (-4 size,+6 natural)
Attacks: Bite +45, 2 Claws +40, 2 Wings +35, Tail slap +30
Damage: Bite 4d6+13; 2 Claws 2d8+6; 2 Wings 2d6+6; Tail slap 2d8+19
Face/Reach: 20ft by 40ft/15ft
Special Qualities: DR 5/Bludgeoning; Cold Immunity; Undead Traits; No Fort Save
Saves: Fort --, Ref +20, Will +20
Abilities: Str 37, Dex 10, Con --, Int --, Wis 10, Cha 18
Feats: Improved Initiative
CR: 10

Vampiric Young Adult Gold Dragon
Huge Undead
Hit Dice: 20d12+80 (200 hp)
Initiative: +11
Speed: 60ft., Fly 200ft. (poor), Swim 60ft.
AC: 37 (-2size, +7 dex, +21 natural, +7 cover, +4 armor); Touch 22; Flatfoot 30
Attacks: Bite +35, 2 (or 4) Claws +33; 2 Wings +33; Tail Slap+33
Damage: Bite: 4d6+15 ; Claws: 2d8+7; Wings: 2d6+7; Tail Slap: 2d8+22
Face/Reach: 10ft. by 20ft./10ft.
Special Attacks: Breath Weapon, Blood Drain, Charm, Create Spawn, Domination, Energy Drain
Special Qualities: DR 5/magic, Bless, Polymorph Self, Water Breathing, Fast Healing 5, Resistance, Turn Resistance, Undead Traits, Vampiric Weaknesses, Vulnerability to Cold, Immunity to Fire, SR 21, Frightful Presence
Saves: Fort +12, Ref +26, Will +25
Abilities: Str 40, Dex 24, Con --, Int 25, Wis 26, Cha 28
Skills: +15 Bluff, +13 Move Silently, +15 Search, +14 Sense Motive, +14 Spot, +35 Jump
Feats: Alertness, Combat Reflexes, Dodge, Improved Initiative, Lightning Reflexes, Multiattack, Improved Natural Attack (bite), Improved Natural Attack (claw), Improved Natural Attack (wing), Improved Natural Attack (tail-slap), Hover
CR: 16

Breath Weapon (su): 10d10 cone of fire, Reflex half DC 20 (or 29)

Blood Drain (ex): Large size or larger, 1d4 con damage when pinned. Fort save 29

Charm (su): All creatures within 150ft, Will Save DC 29 or be Charmed as charm monster.

Create Spawn (su): same as normal Vampire

Domination (su): Must spend standard action to fixate on target. DC 29 or be Dominated as Dominate monster. Range 80ft.

Energy Drain (su): Living creature hit by claw attack takes one negative level.

Resistance (ex): Cold 20 and Electricity 20.

Vulnerability to Cold (ex): Twice damage from Cold on failed save.

Immunity to Fire (ex): Immune to fire.

Turn Resistance (ex): +4 turn resistance

Frightful Presence (ex): 150ft range. Will save DC 29.

Vampiric Weaknesses: Direct sunlight slows dragon, only one standard action or move equivalent. Can survive exposure to direct sunlight for 5 rounds. Driving a wooden stake into heart will kill it. Isn’t injured by immersion into water, not repelled by garlic or mirrors, freely cross water. Cannot enter homes.

Spells: Spells per day: 6/8/6 0th - Arcane Mark, Prestidigitation, Read Magic, Ghost Sound, Mending, Mage Hand; 1st - Shield, Mage Armor, Spider Climb, Color Spray; 2nd - Identify, Mirror Image

Equipment: Vest of Resistance +5, Periapt of Wisdom +4, Gloves of Dex +4, Cloak of Charisma +4

:)

Serpentine
2009-06-27, 11:36 PM
Heheh... Great white wyrm :smallamused:

Just when you thought it was safe to go back into the dragon cemetary!

Those are great, all. Thanks yet again :smallsmile:

arguskos
2009-06-28, 12:02 AM
So, the game is today, right? Let me know how the Big Bad fares, won't you?

As a side note, I'd personally like a write-up of the adventure. Nothing fancy, just a "here are the main NPCs, here's a good plot, here's any custom gear/spells/whatever, have fun".

Also, like the new avvy. :smallwink:

Serpentine
2009-06-28, 09:59 AM
Big Bad's gonna be next week. This week, one player said last time she'd be here but told me at the last minute that she "had to pack", and another said he'd be late (though another player two days after I told him the day, despite my telling him I wanted to know asap :smallannoyed:), and then just plain didn't turn up. He did sign into MSN, though :smallannoyed: Hyeah... I'm thinking of looking for some new players, even if they just take it in turns or something...
Anyway, the ghouls were fine, thanks guys. My character and absentee #2 have ghoul fever now. Hurrah.

Serpentine
2009-06-29, 08:55 AM
I may have been a touch tired and bitter when I wrote that...
Anyway, I've been thinking about that gorget. It's getting late, so here's just a quick fluff-free run-down of what I've got so far:

Anyone:
- Sizing
- +6 Cha
- AC bonus/light fortification?

True Dragon:
- Allows application of certain control-oriented metabreaths, such as Control Breath.

Undead:
- Big boost to turn resistance (+Cha mod?)
- Something else I can't think of (or not)

Undead True Dragon:
- Something, I'm not sure what.

Thoughts?

Serpentine
2009-07-03, 05:19 AM
Alright folks, day after tomorrow is show time! I will be very surprised if we finish it all on the day, but ah well. Anything else to throw in before it starts?

Serpentine
2009-07-19, 03:16 AM
Just giving this a little bump, because I fully intend to post this encounter, and I'd still quite like some advice on that item.

Oh, and the last game or two haven't been run yet, because first one then another of my players went on holidays, and a third has kept on wussing out :smallsigh:

arguskos
2009-07-19, 03:51 AM
Here, try this as a version of the gorget, it's sorta my take of what you were going for:

Gorget of the Dread Dragon
Thismagicalflufferyblahblahblah. (I'm bad at fluffery, so sue me. :smalltongue:)

On a non-undead or non-dragon, the Gorget grants it's wearer a +6 enhancement bonus to Strength, along with acting as a reslotted +5 heavy shield of moderate fortification that does not require proficiency.

When worn by an undead, the Gorget provides the basic benefits, along with granting +10 turn resistance, and giving the undead the benefits of the Corpsecrafter feat (as if the wearer was made by a caster with the feat).

When worn by a dragon, the Gorget provides the basic benefits, along with knowledge of the Control Breath, Shape Breath, Lingering Breath, and Recover Breath metabreath feats.

When worn by an undead dragon, the Gorget provides all the above benefits, and increases all saves against any racial abilities the wearer has by 2.

Note that this item is QUITE strong, but only really in the claws of a dracolich. In the claws/hands of anyone else, even other undead and/or dragons, it's not nearly as powerful. Do you like?

Serpentine
2009-07-19, 04:02 AM
I like it. I might change the +6 Str to +6 Cha, though. Would the "shield" have the penalties for a heavy shield?

arguskos
2009-07-19, 04:08 AM
Nope, it's just the benefits. It was merely an easy way of writing "+7 shield bonus to AC and 50% fortification", which is all that really gives.

Serpentine
2009-07-19, 04:28 AM
Coolios. Thanks :smallsmile:

arguskos
2009-09-09, 10:54 AM
So, how goes this here project? Has it finished up and been completed by your players yet, or have they been unhelpful gits? :smallwink:

Serpentine
2009-09-09, 11:34 AM
I did do an extremely rough write-up of it, but the thread quickly slipped into obscurity. I still intend to tidy it up, but it took a back seat to moving and the like.
Oh, and we've finally started playing it. It went pretty well, except I need a better system for fighting a number of different enemies...

arguskos
2009-09-09, 12:13 PM
Sweet! Can't wait to hear how it works out for ya. Let me know how the draco performs, mmkay?

Also, I'll see if I can dig out that thread if you wish, maybe read over it and make some suggestions and whatnot. I kinda missed it in the shuffle of life, not sure why... :smallconfused: