PDA

View Full Version : XBox 360 Question

CheshireCatAW
2009-05-28, 12:33 PM
My 360 has recently died a horrible, horrible death and I was thinking that rather than send it out to get repaired (I would have to pay for it, as it isn't the red ring of death), I could buy a new one and just replace the hard drive with my current one. My question is wether or not there is a difference between the basic unit and the elite or pro unit, other than the hard drive itself.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Crispy Dave
2009-05-28, 12:42 PM
My 360 has recently died a horrible, horrible death and I was thinking that rather than send it out to get repaired (I would have to pay for it, as it isn't the red ring of death), I could buy a new one and just replace the hard drive with my current one. My question is wether or not there is a difference between the basic unit and the elite or pro unit, other than the hard drive itself.

the arcade and pro at this time are exactly the same. Besides the hard drive and bundled cables.

Oregano
2009-05-28, 12:44 PM

If it's the RROD or E74 on one of the later models you can get it fixed for free so you might as well do that.

But no, there's no difference between the system as well so if you want to buy a new one it will be compatible with your harddrive and wires and stuff.

CheshireCatAW
2009-05-28, 12:46 PM
Thanks a lot guys, I appreciate it immensly.

Toastkart
2009-05-28, 03:48 PM
Out of curiosity, what went wrong with it? Several months ago, mine got the open disk error and the dvd drive stopped working. Rather than spend $150+ to get a new xbox and swap hard drives, I got a new dvd drive for $45 and replaced it myself.

If it's something simple, that might be the better way to go.

Mr._Blinky
2009-05-28, 07:59 PM
Actually, since this thread is here, mind if I piggyback? My box just RROD on me this past week, and I can't seem to find the receipt from a couple of years back. Anyone know how I can A) Check if it's still under warranty, and B) If it is, get Microsoft to repair it if I can't find the receipt?

Oregano
2009-05-29, 05:45 AM
Actually, since this thread is here, mind if I piggyback? My box just RROD on me this past week, and I can't seem to find the receipt from a couple of years back. Anyone know how I can A) Check if it's still under warranty, and B) If it is, get Microsoft to repair it if I can't find the receipt?

Well if you got it at launch it's out of warranty, otherwise it's still in warranty. And you don't need the receipt, they'll just take it(I think).

Toastkart
2009-05-29, 06:15 AM
Go here (https://support.xbox.com/support/en/us/nxe/registerdevice.aspx?step=repair). You'll probably have to sign up, but once you do and enter the serial number it will tell you whether your standard warranty is still in effect or not. It doesn't tell you how much longer the extended rrod warranty has, but you can guess from the standard warranty's expiration date, which it does tell you.

(Just in case the link doesn't send you to the right place on the site, it's support home then repair a console from the menu on the left.)

SuperMuldoon
2009-05-29, 11:52 AM
My system red ringed a few months ago, and when I called in they said that if it red ringed, the warranty is extended for like 3 years or something - basically if it rings they will repair it no matter what. Took like 2 weeks.

Crispy Dave
2009-05-29, 12:05 PM
Friend of mine just bought a 360 off ebay and it was mailed Red ringed. Good news is that is was under warranty and he is getting it replaced for free.

KillianHawkeye
2009-06-03, 07:12 PM
Friend of mine just bought a 360 off ebay and it was mailed Red ringed. Good news is that is was under warranty and he is getting it replaced for free.

I hope your friend left some negative feedback! :smallmad: