PDA

View Full Version : d20 Arabian Nights

Armoury99
2009-05-28, 04:22 PM
Greetings wise folk of the Playground!

I'm currently assembling materials for an "1001 Arabian Nights" d20 campaign. I own a smattering of the fantastic 2e Al Qadim books, the Complete Necromancer's Handbook (whose default setting is also tropical/Arabian), and I know that Dragon magazine 315 contained an updated Sha'ir (genie mage) class, but I was wondering what else is out there?

Any suggestions and recommendations?

TheThan
2009-05-28, 04:31 PM
Wow, I’m doing the same thing. In fact I was going to start a campaign in the near future. In fact I think I’m going to ahead and post in the recruiting forums.

So if you’re thinking of doing dnd 3.5, there’s sandstorm and a few tidbits on the WotC website on desert monsters, magic spells and gear.

Personally I’m working on capturing the feel of what it would be like. So I’m focusing less on rules and more on style.

Cedrass
2009-05-28, 04:32 PM
www.athas.org

Even is the setting isn't what you're looking for, you can use a lot of the rules they have, the equipment and all.

They have monsters, nice classes/PrC, if you download the books for the different City-States, tey contain a lot of info on what is the feeling they give of to players, how to make the world live.

I just wish I could buy them out since having them on PDF isn't convenient, for me anyways.

Satyr
2009-05-28, 04:33 PM
There is Sandstorm, an environment book by WotC about deserts. I found it so-so.

There is also an Arabian Nights sourcebook by the very recommenable 3rd party publisher Avalanche press, Endless Sands (http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product_info.php?products_id=2321&it=1&filters=0_0_0_40050). I do not know this specific book, but the Avalanche D20 books I do own - the one about pirates and the one about Celtic Myth - are excellent, and if this level of quality standards apply to Endless Sands as well, you should probably get it immedeately if you are interested in this kind of campaign.

afroakuma
2009-05-28, 04:43 PM
Over on Homebrew, we are in fact working up an entire setting inspired by 1001 Arabian Nights, although I don't know if it would suit your needs.

Zeta Kai
2009-05-28, 05:33 PM
Yes, you can find the relevant threads for our Vote Up a Campaign Setting here, here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=98325), & here. When released, it will probably be everything that you're looking for, as we have done extensive research into the 1,001 Nights & other Middle Eastern myths & legends.

Armoury99
2009-05-29, 12:56 PM
Thats...awesome news! I'm definitely going to check out those threads. :smallsmile:

Thanks all

potatocubed
2009-05-31, 04:10 PM
There's a True20 supplement aimed at this particular feel called Tales of the Caliphate Nights. You can get it as a pdf from drivethrurpg.com.

bosssmiley
2009-06-01, 03:58 AM
One of the Paizo dragons (I think it was a #33X issue) had more Campaign Classics classes for Al-Qadim (Barber, Mamluk, Holy Slayer, etc.)

The Sandstorm environment book is probably relevant to your interests... :smallbiggrin: