PDA

View Full Version : +33 on bluff

steam_mage
2009-05-28, 04:33 PM
i recently started a level 15 campaign and due to a cha of 40 for my dashing swordsman and using all my skill points on four skills i ended up getting +33 on bluff...i supose it couldcome in handy as my party also has a lich and a war troll in it. wanted to hear peoples ideas for possible lies i could pull off as the people on this sight are an imaginative lot :smallbiggrin:

Flickerdart
2009-05-28, 04:43 PM
Work some Invisible Blade in there, or another way to Feint decently.

Implanting a free Suggestion is a +50 to the opposing Sense Motive. Go the extra distance (you have 18 ranks and +10 CHA bonus, where's that other 5 from?) and do that.

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-05-28, 04:59 PM
Get Glibness(bard spell). +30 to bluff checks. Would be awesome.

Bard:You are a waffle.
BBEG:I want syrup. I want to be covered in syrup NOW!

steam_mage
2009-05-28, 05:08 PM
soz typo i actually have a 40 on cha. fienting works well seeing as i have the fast like a freak class ability which lets me fient as a free action. i was thinking more along the lines of uses in non-combat situations e.g.
"oh him? he's not a lich he was once targeted with an invisibility spell that went wrong, only turned his flesh invisible permenantly and made his eyes glow red. now obviously all this magic would mess up any detect evil/undead spells you target him with, it's also been known to cause cancer if you stand around him with weapons drawn so you better let us through the gate right away!"

lisiecki
2009-05-28, 05:08 PM
i recently started a level 15 campaign and due to a cha of 30 for my dashing swordsman and using all my skill points on four skills i ended up getting +33 on bluff...i supose it couldcome in handy as my party also has a lich and a war troll in it. wanted to hear peoples ideas for possible lies i could pull off as the people on this sight are an imaginative lot :smallbiggrin:

"Listen BBG I am your mother"
"But, but, but your a man, and your younger than me, and my mothers stading over there"
The bluff is way out there, almost too incredible to consider.
*Rolls a success*
"Yes, yes of corse, your my mother" Blood trickles down from BBG's nose

Flickerdart
2009-05-28, 05:31 PM
"But, but, but your a man, and your younger than me, and my mothers stading over there"
*Rolls a success*
That's not "almost", that IS too incredible. Won't fly. You have to add "I was polymorphed into this form by the being who now looks like your mother and in reality is a Balor."

Dogmantra
2009-05-28, 05:37 PM
*Rolls a success*

Better yet:
You: Your mother was a hamster, and your father smelt of elderberries!
BBEG: ... So they did! I'm half hamster!

2009-05-28, 05:53 PM
well, i mean, you dont really need to lie about the lich being a lich. any high level wizard should have mind blank and veil on constantly. but maybe "oh, us? yeah, were just here to check the levels in your treasure horde, make sure everything is where it should be, you know, for insurance reasons. you dont remember getting insurance? well, i have the paperwork here somewhere." (may require a high forgery as well)

Dixieboy
2009-05-28, 05:55 PM
Better yet:
You: Your mother was a hamster, and your father smelt of elderberries!
BBEG: ... So they did! I'm half hamster!
*Insert obvious joke concerning the characters Minsc and boo*

BobVosh
2009-05-28, 06:38 PM
That's not "almost", that IS too incredible. Won't fly. You have to add "I was polymorphed into this form by the being who now looks like your mother and in reality is a Balor."

Rakshasa.

"And as everyone knows Rakshasa's weakness is blessed crossbow bolts. Which I have one now, I will prove she is a Rakshasa!" *shoots mother in the head, instantly killing her.* "There! PROOF!" Then there was much cheering.

weenie
2009-05-28, 07:16 PM
soz typo i actually have a 40 on cha. fienting works well seeing as i have the fast like a freak class ability which lets me fient as a free action. i was thinking more along the lines of uses in non-combat situations e.g.
"oh him? he's not a lich he was once targeted with an invisibility spell that went wrong, only turned his flesh invisible permenantly and made his eyes glow red. now obviously all this magic would mess up any detect evil/undead spells you target him with, it's also been known to cause cancer if you stand around him with weapons drawn so you better let us through the gate right away!"

Where is fast like a freak from?

Lappy9000
2009-05-28, 08:04 PM

Bard: You are a waffle.
BBEG: (Now honestly believes that the bard thinks that he is a waffle) Oookay *Raises eyebrow before casting disintegrate*

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-05-28, 08:17 PM
Bard: You are a waffle.
BBEG: (Now honestly believes that the bard thinks that he is a waffle) Oookay *Raises eyebrow before casting disintegrate*Fine.
Bard:You have been turned into a Waffle by Epic magic. I am comunicating with your mind directly, which has constructed an elaborate fantasy wherin you lack the physical limitations of a waffle and conquor the world(to deal with the trauma). To break free of the fantasy, allowing me to turn you back, you need to do X.

It's all in the flavor.

Berserk Monk
2009-05-28, 08:24 PM
Great. I've figured out how to get a +17 bluff at level 1:

4 ranks: +4
18 cha: +4
Skill Focus: +3
Persuasive: +2
racial bonus from being a changeling: +2
Dishonest: +1
Illiterate: +1

By level 15 using this build, I'll have a +32: +14 from added ranks over the levels and +1 from the ability busts, of course this isn't counting magical items or spells. True it's not as much, but I won't have a 30 cha.

Harperfan7
2009-05-29, 12:20 AM

Will somebody help me figure out how to get this in my signature?

sofawall
2009-05-29, 12:24 AM
I'm still wondering how he has 40 cha at level 15...

18 + 4 Saint + 3 HD + 5 Tome + 6 Item... Some other +4 cha template, maybe...

Although the items probably slaughter WBL.

EDIT: Aging gets you closer, what's a +2 cha base race?

EDIT 2: Silly me, lesser Aasimar. Ok, barring WBL concerns (AFB, so I can't check) he can get 40 cha at level 15.

Chronos
2009-05-29, 12:49 AM
Great. I've figured out how to get a +17 bluff at level 1:You haven't picked a class, yet. I'd recommend either Marshal (for the Motivate Charisma aura; add your Cha to the check again), or Sorcerer with the Serene Visage spell (+10).

And I'm guessing that the OP is using a Gloura (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20031003e). They've got seven racial HD, but they're fey, which isn't too bad for a skill-based character, and 2 LA (which he might have partly bought off by now).

loopy
2009-05-29, 12:58 AM
My warlock at level... 10, I think, regularly rolled in the low 40's for bluff checks. He ran around clad in a nightgown and hat stuffed with straw, sackcloth pants, and little else.

He managed to convince the local clergy he was an archmage. And he had the party thinking he was a sorceror. No one could match his bluff scores.

Curmudgeon
2009-05-29, 01:25 AM
Where is fast like a freak from? It's from a homebrew "Dashing Swordsman" (http://oots.wikia.com/wiki/Dashing_Swordsman), after Elan from Order of the Stick. The term comes orignally from a line in Firefly episode "Shindig".

(Inara blocks Mal's sword attack and smacks him on his... pants.)
INARA: How did I avoid that?
MAL: By being fast like a freak?

Heliomance
2009-05-29, 01:28 AM
I have a character in an ongoing campaign that you really don't want to know what his bluff score is like. Admittedly we've just hit Epic, but it's got to the point where occasionally I'll make a bluff and the universe itself will believe me and alter itself so that I spoke truth.

Zaq
2009-05-29, 01:39 AM
...it's got to the point where occasionally I'll make a bluff and the universe itself will believe me and alter itself so that I spoke truth.

So, in other words, Truespeak?

(You fluff your way, I fluff mine.)

Icewalker
2009-05-29, 02:08 AM
That doesn't seem all that high for a 15th level character. I suppose it's high if you aren't trying to optimize.

With a 40 charisma, you'd already have +15, another +18 from ranks, and without any synergy, feats, items, traits, racial changes, or anything else that's 33.

Fun stuff. Another possible bluff: The sky is down. You are currently hanging upside-down to the Earth, somehow attached by your feet. :smalltongue:

elliott20
2009-05-29, 02:39 AM
*Insert obvious joke concerning the characters Minsc and boo*
Minsc really loves boo... a lot...

BenTheJester
2009-05-29, 11:11 AM
yeah I'm really interested on finding how you achieved 40 charisma

BobVosh
2009-05-29, 11:54 AM
yeah I'm really interested on finding how you achieved 40 charisma

Succubus? Sylph? Stay tuned next week....

Dixieboy
2009-05-31, 04:26 PM
Minsc really loves boo... a lot...Suddenly Minscs comment at the beginning of Baldurs gate 2 makes a lot more sense...

I think i just ruined Baldurs gate for myself...