PDA

View Full Version : SEASONAL HORROR!

The Vorpal Tribble
2005-11-30, 06:38 PM
Tangled Christmas Lights Golem

http://a746.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/50/m_c2548e6346e39be35eb14e2a63aef959.jpg

Small Construct
Hit Dice: 4d10+10 (32 HP)
Initiative: +2
Speed: 30 ft. (6 squares)
Armor Class: 19 (+2 dex, +6 natural, +1 size), touch 13, flat-footed 17
Base Attack/Grapple: +3/+9
Attack: Slam +5 melee (1d3+2 plus 1d6 electricity)
Full attack: 2 slams +5 melee (1d3+2 plus 1d6 electricity)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./10 ft.
Special Attacks: Constrict 1d3+1, improved grab, skein
Special Qualities: Construct traits, fast healing 2, damage reduction 2/magic, darkvision 60 ft., immunity to bludgeoning, low-light vision
Saves: Fort +1, Ref +3, Will -4
Abilities: Str 14, Dex 15, Con -, Int -, Wis 1, Cha 4
Skills: --
Feats: Ability Focus(skein) (B)
Environment: Any
Organization: Solitary, Tangle (2-3) or Jumble (4-8 )
Challenge Rating: 4
Treasure: None
Alignment: Always neutral
Advancement: 5-9 HD (Small), 10-26 HD (Medium), 27-39 HD (Large)
Level Adjustment: --

It all started as an innocent december night as a kindly mage went down into the highest reaches of his tower to bring forth the year's decorations. Oh how the children loved his light display.

However, he had merely tossed the lights into a sack and the mass had somehow woven itself together with intricacies that would have made a lesser mind shiver to behold. But the mage was not one to be so easily deterred and went to work with a vengeance. Hours later, however, he was no closer than when he had started. He resorted to spells, anything to get them undone, but they remained stubbornly knotted.

With an enraged exclamation he then cursed the pile and watched in amazement as the entire mass flickered and twitched and rose up. Lights flickering at random upon its surface, it took its first step towards its creator and half the lights exploded with a sizzling sound. The mage flinched away and found to his astonishment that his clothes began to knot themselves together till he could barely move.

A tangled christmas lights golem appears vaguely as a rearing slug constructed from a mass of coiled green and white wires spotted with lights of all colors and sizes. Most of the bulbs however are shattered, with their wires protruding and sparking. Two tentacle-like protrusions dangle from each of its sides.

Combat
Tangled christmas lights golems attack with a seething, mindless anger bestowed upon them by the rage of the mage that constructed them. Anything that attacks or gets in their way is fair game to be crushed and twisted by their wirey strength and skein ability.

Know Dead Yet (Ex): Tangled christmas lights golems are difficult to destroy as when their strands are separated they almost immediately begin to knot themselves back together, gaining fast healing 2.

However, any who can pin a tangled christmas lights golem down can make an attempt to undo its tangles. It must make 10 consecutive DC 30 Use Rope or Profession (christmas decoration) checks, one each round. If one is successful the golem is pulled straight and is rendered helpless. An unknotted golem also loses its skein ability until a knot is made along part of its length, at which point it reforms.

Constrict (Ex): On a successful grapple check, a tangled christmas lights golem deals 1d3+1 points of damage plus 1d6 electricity.

Immunity to Magic (Ex): A christmas lights golem is immune to any spell or spell-like ability that allows spell resistance. In addition, certain spells and effects function differently against the creature, as noted below.

Animate rope, or a magical attack that deals electricity damage slows a christmas lights golem (as the slow spell) for 1d6 rounds, with no saving throw.

Improved Grab (Ex): To use this ability, the golem must hit with a slam attack. It can then attempt to start a grapple as a free action without provoking an attack of opportunity. If it wins the grapple check, it establishes a hold and can constrict or use its skein ability.
Tangled christmas lights golems recieve a +8 bonus on grapple checks, which is already included in the statistics above.

Skein (Sp):
Any easily malleable objects such as ropes, string, loose clothing (imposing a -2 penalty to dexterity-based skills and saves unless removed), chains, etc within 20 feet of a tangled christmas lights golem twists and jumbles itself into a horrible mass of knots. To make use of these items once more requires a DC 30 Use Rope check and takes 2d6 minutes.

The golem may also make a touch attack that causes living creature with an inner anatomy to suffer great pain as their bowels themselves try to knot themselves. Those affected must make a DC 16 Fortitude save or suffer 1d4 sub-dual damage per round and become nauseated.

Spells such as Animate Rope, Remove Curse, Undulant Innards or other similar transformation spells counteract and dispel the skein. The save DC is Dexterity-based.

Meat Shield
2005-11-30, 06:59 PM
Tribble, BRAVO! Well reasoned, flavored, and humorous.

You may want to put something in there about the creature's resistance to heal as well, having just spent half a day tracking down which freaking lights were the ones that were causing the strand to not light up. >:(

HempRope
2005-11-30, 07:31 PM
Yay! They're absolutley awful. Perhaps there ought to be a slightly less challenging version where the light bulbs are smaller & clear?

Though I think that you should up the CR. And perhaps show it to Wukei, see if she wants to use it in those Christmas games.

The Vorpal Tribble
2005-11-30, 08:01 PM
You may want to put something in there about the creature's resistance to heal as well
Don't quite getcha ;)

having just spent half a day tracking down which freaking lights were the ones that were causing the strand to not light up.
Hehehe, was sitting there tugging on them and loe and behold, an idea struck!

Though I think that you should up the CR.
Aye, I'm debating on upping it to CR 5. Looking over some others of equivalent challenge and comparing.

And perhaps show it to Wukei, see if she wants to use it in those Christmas games.
Been meaning to glance at what that was all about...

HempRope
2005-11-30, 08:04 PM
Don't quite getcha ;)
I think he meant he couldn't "heal" it, in that he couldn't re-light it, without a whole lot of work.

Been meaning to glance at what that was all about...
I don't really know anything about it. I would assume that there are Xmas-themed adventures, though, as I saw a reindeer character in someone's sig somewhere.

El Jaspero, the Pirate King
2005-11-30, 08:08 PM
Great monster, VT. It somehow reminds me of a Christmas Treant, maybe in an ancient Dragon article...or maybe something I just made up...that threw its own ornaments. Maybe it used its tinsel like an entangle spell too.

Anyway, nice golem. Since it's made of lights, would it one be able to see it from greater distances than normal in the dark, or can it control how bright its lights are?

The Vorpal Tribble
2005-11-30, 08:57 PM
As its missing the majority of its lights and those that do work are only flashing on and off at random it's probably not illuminating anything worth mentioning ;)

Hungerdog
2005-11-30, 09:01 PM
VT:

I read your Golem post 10 minutes ago, and I'm still laughing!!! ;D

Bravo!

What a delightfully twisted mind you have...

The Vorpal Tribble
2005-11-30, 09:06 PM
What a delightfully twisted mind you have...
Them lights'll do that to you... >:(

Roland St. Jude
2005-11-30, 09:21 PM
Excellent monster (and great pun, too!)

Colt
2005-11-30, 09:48 PM
how bout' an electric shock if you touch it wiht somthing metal...

The Vorpal Tribble
2005-11-30, 11:13 PM
Thought about it, but as the Shocker Lizard doesn't have anything like that, or any other electrical critters to my, perhaps incomplete, knowledge, I decided it was nasty enough.

Everyman
2005-12-01, 01:11 AM
Very well done, VT.

I have one quick question: How does the X-max light golem have a feat? To my knowledge, golems can not have feats.

At any rate, I'd love seeing these things work with...oh...Pine Treants. That'd be fun.
On second thought, they might be mortal enemies.

The Vorpal Tribble
2005-12-01, 01:18 AM
To my knowledge, golems can not have feats.
They can if you put that little (B), for bonus, in front of it ;)

Everyman
2005-12-01, 03:09 AM
Okiedokie, then. :)

Democratus
2005-12-01, 10:15 AM
Yay VT!

You're my hero! :)

Sophistemon
2005-12-01, 09:59 PM
*snicker* Brilliant, VT. Brilliant. Where do you come up with the time to do this sort of thing?

The Vorpal Tribble
2005-12-02, 11:57 PM
Most monsters don't take but maybe 10-15 minutes, tops. The flavor text takes most of that.

(The proofreading and going over it may takes months though, but by then its already posted ;P )

Btw, for those of you who love the old classics...

-=-=-=-=-=-

The Bumble

http://www.mwctoys.com/images/review_bumble_5.jpg

Huge Monsterous Humanoid (cold)
Hit Dice: 16d8+80 (152 HP)
Initiative: -2
Speed: 20 ft. (4 squares)
Armor Class: 15 (-2 dex, +9 natural, -2 size)
Base Attack/Grapple: +16/+33
Attack: Bite +13 melee (2d6+10)
Full attack: Bite +13 melee (2d6+9) and 2 slams +11 melee (1d6+9)
Space/Reach: 15 ft./15 ft.
Special Attacks: Killjoy, roar, swallow whole
Special Qualities: Bumble's bounce, immunity to cold, low-light vision, scent
Saves: Fort +12, Ref +8, Will +9
Abilities: Str 29, Dex 6, Con 21, Int 3, Wis 8, Cha 17
Skills: Listen +8, Spot +9
Feats: Diehard, Endurance, Great Fortitude, Multi-Attack, Power Attack, Snatch
Environment: Any cold land
Organization: Solitary
Challenge Rating: 11
Treasure: None
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
Advancement: 17-23 HD (Huge), 24-36 HD (Gargantuan)
Level Adjustment: --

Artic terrors of the deep north, bumbles are a menace to those who wander far from Christmastown. Attracted to the home of Santa by the collective hatred of Christmas, bumbles would like nothing less than to tear it asunder. They are held in fear of the Fat Man himself however, and instead make raids and bring fear to those nearby.

A bumble appears almost as a giant, but is covered in a thick pelt of snow-white fur everywhere but its feet and hands. The skin beneath is an icy blue and as cold to the touch. Its face is beastial with huge round eyes above a sensitive nose, and below a gaping maw of sharp teeth complete with a long, rough tongue.

Combat
A bumble is a mixture of stealth and brazen boldness. It hides behind glaciers and large stones and leaps out upon its foes with its terrifying roar. It then boldy charges its prey, grabbing with its thick-skinned hands to shove them down its maw.

Bumble's Bounce (Ex):
Bumbles ignore the first fifty feet of a fall and takes only subdual damage from greater heights.

Killjoy (Ex):
When witnessing anything to do with Christmas and other winter-time festivities the Bumble goes into an uproar similar to the barbarian’s rage (+4 Strength, +4 Constitution, +2 morale bonus on Will saves, –2 AC penalty). The furor lasts until the cause of its wrath is vanquished or removed from view, and the Bumble suffers no ill effects afterward.

Quicksink (Ex):
A Bumble is unable to swim, sinking within 1 round when immersed.

Roar (Ex):
As a free action every 1d4 rounds a bumble can unsettle those within 60 feet with a horrifying roar. A potentially affected creature that succeeds on a DC 21 Will save remains immune to the Bumble's roar for 24 hours. On a failure, creatures with 4 or less HD become panicked for 4d6 rounds and those with 5 or more HD become shaken for 4d6 rounds. The save DC is charisma based.

Swallow Whole (Ex): A Bumble can try to swallow a snatched Medium or smaller opponent by making a successful grapple check.

A swallowed creature takes 2d8+8 points of bludgeoning damage and 8 points of acid damage per round from the bumble's stomach. A swallowed creature can cut its way out by using a light slashing or piercing weapon to deal 25 points of damage to the stomach (AC 14). Once the creature exits, muscular action closes the hole; another swallowed opponent must cut its own way out.

A bumble’s stomach can hold 2 Medium, 8 Small, 32 Tiny, or 128 Diminutive or smaller opponents.

OffTheWall
2005-12-03, 03:33 AM
*attempts to think of something clever*

All I've got is Caroler Swarm.

Belkarseviltwin
2005-12-03, 12:15 PM
Alright, you need the Fat Man!
Santa Claus
Rank 3 Demigod
Medium Outsider (Native, Good, Christmas)
HDs: 20d8+20d6, hit points 800
Initiative +1
Speed 50ft
AC: 46 (+1 Dex, +19 Natural, +3 divine, +15 deflection)
Base Attack/Grapple: +33/+36
Attacks: Punch +33 melee or Switch +38 melee
Full Atk: 4 punches +33/28/23/18 melee (1d3+1/20/x2) or 4 switches +38/33/28/23 melee (2d4+1 nonlethal/20/x2)
Space/Reach: 5ft/5ft
Special Qualities: DR15/epic, Fire Resistance 8, SR 35, Remote Sensing, Portfolio, Divine Aura, Bard abilities
Special Attacks: Divine Abilities
Saves: Fort +25/Will+25/Ref +25
Abilities: Str 16, Con 35, Dex 13, Int 16, Wis 15, Cha 40
Skills: Sense Motive +40, Spot +40, Sleight of Hand +30, Speak Lanquage (all), Escape Artist +20, Profession (toymaker) +30
Feats: Investigator, Iron Will, Nimble Fingers, Great Fortitude x3, Deft Hands, Diehard, All metamagic feats, Stealthy
Organization: Solo or with 1d100 "elves" (Gnome Exp5)
CR: 32
Treasure: Huge amounts of toys!
Environment: North Pole, or anywhere where there are children
Alignment: LG

Santa Claus has all the abilities of a 20th-level Bard.
His Portfolio consists of: Good, Children, Christmas, Winter
He grants the Good, Weather, Creation and Luck domains (if there is a Cold domain, he also grants it).
He can use all spells which deal cold damage or have the cold subtype as a 20th-level sorcerer.
He can cast an extended Time Stop as a spell-like ability.
Salient Divine Abilities: Frightful Presence, Rejuvenation, True Knowledge
Possessions: Sack (an infinite Bag of Holding)
Sleigh (a standard sleigh, drawn by eight or nine advanced Celestial Reindeer, which can move at any speed up to and including instantaneous travel)
Clothes (allow him to fit down any chimney, no matter how small)
Switch- used to punish naughty children and to defend himself if attacked, this birch twig counts as a +5 Merciful Holy Axiomatic weapon. He can choose to count it as a whip or a Spiked Chain which deals slashing damage, and make it manifest the Icy Burst property at will. In anyone else's hands, it is an ordinary non-magical twig. If it is lost or destroyed, he can simply pluck another one from a tree and it will manifest the same properties.
Pipe: Casts Prestidigitation (with smoke only) and Fog Cloud at will.

Sophistemon
2005-12-03, 12:39 PM
This is awsome stuff. You guys amaze me.

Jibar
2005-12-03, 01:44 PM
Oh dear gods that bumble picture scared me,
And on the subject of christmas monsters:
http://www.commissionedcomic.com/index.php?date=2004-12-20

HempRope
2005-12-03, 02:51 PM
I'm definitely drawing up reindeer soon... anyone up for some elves? ;)

The Vorpal Tribble
2005-12-03, 02:57 PM
Reindeer are in Frostburn, or do you mean the flying kinda reindeer? ;)

squishycube
2005-12-03, 02:59 PM
Well done VT and B's Evil Twin!

My ideas for christmas creatures:
Vengeful gift; and
Unsatisfied Child

The vengeful gift are created by a mysterious being called 'Mehatex Mas'. This being infuses unappreciated gifts with feelings of hate and revenge towards the receiver, christmas and probably the rest of the world too.

The unsatisfied child is a template you can apply to anyone who believes in Father Christmas. (Age is not an issue, anyone who believes Santa Claus exists can be used as the base creature, eg. Elan.)
The unsatisfied child gaines power akin to the barbarian rage.

I will work these two creatures out and post stat blocks and flavour.

HempRope
2005-12-04, 01:13 AM
Reindeer are in Frostburn, or do you mean the flying kinda reindeer? ;)
Yes, I mean the flying reindeer. But I think it might behoove them to have other interesting features... I haven't quite worked out what, yet... should they get Teleport, or just have to fly?

Oh, and I think Santa should be able to use Mass Haste at will. Both for elves and reindeer.

Jothki
2005-12-04, 01:29 AM
Oh, and I think Santa should be able to use Mass Haste at will. Both for elves and reindeer.

Either that, or some sort of time compression. Is there a spell for that kind of thing?

Belkarseviltwin
2005-12-04, 06:44 AM
Either that, or some sort of time compression. Is there a spell for that kind of thing?
There's Time Stop. And it can be Extended. Added.

HempRope
2005-12-04, 11:06 AM
Maybe he ought to get both. Though I might put a limit on the number of uses of Time Stop. Alternatively, he can use it 1/year for a duration 24 hours.

Ragnarok
2005-12-04, 11:30 AM
My uncle was killed by a Tangled Christmas Lights Golem. :'(

Time Stop, 1/Year for 24 hours works best. Or he could travel at 1.2 (actual speed he has to go to visit every house in the world in 24 hours :o) times the speed of light, either way.

Belkarseviltwin
2005-12-04, 12:52 PM
Maybe he ought to get both. Though I might put a limit on the number of uses of Time Stop. Alternatively, he can use it 1/year for a duration 24 hours.
I had him using his sleigh (a minor artifact) to get between houses, and then timestopping while he goes in. The only sightings of him have been in houses with with some sort of magical ward powerful enough to stop his timestop (although this may be due to a natural "dead zone").

Jothki
2005-12-04, 01:29 PM
Maybe that's why you are supposed to be asleep when he comes. If you are awake at the time, it disrupts whatever spell he is using to travel and drop off presents so quickly. If too many children are awake, he will run out of time, and have to continue into the day or just give up and go home.

Gerrtt
2005-12-12, 06:45 PM
I'm bringing this topic back because it was awesome, and also because I had a question about the Tangled Christmas Lights Golem.

I'm a 4th level undergraduate student and I just singlehandedly defeated the one that lived in my parents attic, how much xp should I get?

HempRope
2005-12-12, 10:52 PM
You're fourth level? Well, I would say enough to graduate, and a bit more depending on what school you specialize in. :P

Anyway, I still am planning to amke up those reindeer. but it's taking me a little while to work out their relation to the sleigh...

Gerrtt
2005-12-12, 10:54 PM
I am about to graduate actually...I just hit 4th level though technically (due to completed/attempted hours).

The Vorpal Tribble
2007-12-02, 07:10 PM
I'm bringing this topic back because it was awesome, and also because I had a question about the Tangled Christmas Lights Golem.

I'm a 4th level undergraduate student and I just singlehandedly defeated the one that lived in my parents attic, how much xp should I get?
XP? Isn't defeating it it's own reward? :smallbiggrin:

Mewtarthio
2007-12-02, 11:04 PM
I had him using his sleigh (a minor artifact) to get between houses, and then timestopping while he goes in. The only sightings of him have been in houses with with some sort of magical ward powerful enough to stop his timestop (although this may be due to a natural "dead zone").

Alternatively, "Santa Claus" is actually a global organization. Every year, thousands of men who look just like Santa infiltrate houses, delievering joy and Christmas satisfaction to all who have love in their hearts.

RTGoodman
2007-12-02, 11:14 PM
I had no idea VT was a 13th level Cleric*, able to raise two-year-dead threads back to life! :smallbiggrin:

The Vorpal Tribble
2007-12-02, 11:26 PM
I had no idea VT was a 13th level Cleric*, able to raise two-year-dead threads back to life! :smallbiggrin:
Meh, not resurrect, just awaken. Posted some pics of my battling a huge tangle of lights so thought I might bump it up.