PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Chain-A-Ray Volume 2 - Electric Bugaloo

Keld Denar
2009-05-28, 10:12 PM
So...if you shoot a Scorching Ray, its considered a "Volley" attack, defined in the Weaponlike Spells section of Complete Arcane. That means you only get precision based damage on 1 hit, like...if you had Sneak Attack.

Split Ray and Chain spell specifically modify a spell, increasing the number of effects. That would mean that Split Ray'd and Chain Spelled rays would also be considered "Volley" style attacks.

The question is:

Twin Spell duplicates the WHOLE spell. That means you have 2 seperate spells being cast at the same time.

Would this be a volley attack as well? I'm thinkin no, but I'd like some inputs!

ShneekeyTheLost
2009-05-28, 10:41 PM
Depends on your GM. I would rule it okay, simply due to the +4 SL modifier on Twin Spell vs the +2 on Split Ray or +3 on Chain Spell, but a sufficiently hostile GM would have reason to rule it a volley.

afroakuma
2009-05-28, 10:44 PM
a sufficiently hostile GM

Somebody say my name? :smallconfused:

So, you're wondering if you get two precisions?

I'd go with yes, myself, because to me twinning it is mirroring it, and wherever the first lead ray goes, another one's gonna.

Keld Denar
2009-05-28, 10:46 PM
Wait...a Twinned spell need not have the same target, right? It just creates 2 copies of the spell, which you can target at leisure, right?

Or can't you?

afroakuma
2009-05-28, 10:47 PM
*is tired* Right.

Nevermind me. :smallbiggrin:

(Still think you get precision with the second, but I could see the other side.)

ShneekeyTheLost
2009-05-28, 10:47 PM
Somebody say my name? :smallconfused:

So, you're wondering if you get two precisions?

I'd go with yes, myself, because to me twinning it is mirroring it, and wherever the first lead ray goes, another one's gonna.

You see... that would make me inclined to say 'no', because it would be one attack roll. But Twin Spell is two entirely separate actions, so I would allow it.