PDA

View Full Version : Runaways

darkblade
2009-05-28, 10:47 PM
Having just read the first three "digest sized" trades (to the end of the main Pride Arc) and flipping through later volumes at the store I have absolutely fallen in love with the series Runaways. I am wondering what the rest of the playground thinks of the series and particularly of the ad for the upcoming Volume 3 Issue 11 Ad enclosed in the spoiler below.

http://img2.pict.com/e5/3c/c0/22891636f5b1dab5e1d8703fa8/IEP3B/800/mystery01031.jpg

My first thought was "Damn that art style sucks."

Shortly after that I thought wait they are going to kill one of the current team and bring back either Gert or Alex. Since we already had a sub-plot about trying to bring back Gert I think it is the traitor Alex who is going to be more likely to come back but its a questions as to who they are going to kill now.

chiasaur11
2009-05-28, 10:50 PM
I really liked the Vaughn and Whedon runs, feared and hated the Moore run. (Terry, not Alan). Hopeful for the next bit.

Tam_OConnor
2009-05-29, 09:44 AM
You know, I absolutely love the Runaways, but I've got to ask:

Who in the name all that is frakking holy is doing that ad art, and where's the line to do them bodily harm?

That aside: I've fallen behind on buying the trades. Stupid income.

Haven
2009-06-16, 05:35 PM
Runaways is AMAZING.

Issue #10 was great--Molly gets shown around the new X-Men headquarters...by a very reluctant Wolverine. Hilarity ensues.

Issue #11 just seems gimmicky, though. I'm kind of hoping it turns out to be the same person who dies and comes back because comics don't need more of this stupid gimmick. Especially not comics about kids.

And I'd have to agree with chiasaur. Moore's run was weaksauce--besides the awful writing and plotting ("let's devote all but the first and last pages of the issue to one story, and then have the other one jarringly interrupt it! wheeee"), the art was absolutely terrible in the first few issues, as if the artist had never seen a non-white person and was working off nineteenth-century descriptions or something. (Asian people's eyes aren't at a 90 degree angle...)

darkblade
2009-06-16, 09:23 PM
Runaways is AMAZING.

Issue #10 was great--Molly gets shown around the new X-Men headquarters...by a very reluctant Wolverine. Hilarity ensues.

Issue #11 just seems gimmicky, though. I'm kind of hoping it turns out to be the same person who dies and comes back because comics don't need more of this stupid gimmick. Especially not comics about kids.

And I'd have to agree with chiasaur. Moore's run was weaksauce--besides the awful writing and plotting ("let's devote all but the first and last pages of the issue to one story, and then have the other one jarringly interrupt it! wheeee"), the art was absolutely terrible in the first few issues, as if the artist had never seen a non-white person and was working off nineteenth-century descriptions or something. (Asian people's eyes aren't at a 90 degree angle...)

Having gotten my hands on the rest of the trades and issue #10 I can basically atest to everything you just said. I'm having my doubts that Moore did anything beyond scan the pictures of his precsors comics because its like they all just forgot how they acted before, especially Chase and Xavin.

The new stuff looks promising the art is well better than the last run but it still leaves me yearning for Alphona's art of the original run. I have to admit though the A-story about about Molly and Wolverine was way better than the B-story about a random game of Truth and Dare that just served to remind me how stupid it is for a group of Runaway fugitive superhero teens to live in a Malibu Beach house especially after they lost their shapeshifter.

Haven
2009-06-17, 02:19 AM
The b-story was worth it for the punchline, though. :P

darkblade
2009-06-17, 10:06 AM
The b-story was worth it for the punchline, though. :P

"I no longer wish to play with the big kids."

Haven
2009-06-17, 10:08 AM
"I no longer wish to play with the big kids."

"Are you sure you want to deleted selected memory?"

darkblade
2009-06-17, 01:56 PM
"Are you sure you want to deleted selected memory?"

Ah yes that one. I refuse to think that I'd be the only one who save that memory for when I'm alone. Craft Disturbing Image Check

Horatio@Bridge
2009-06-23, 10:05 PM
Wait, one will die, one will live again? Didn't we already have that title

When Gertrude died? Though I guess no-body came back to life, unless you count Alex in that void-space. Maybe this is the conclusion of that story arc, namely the "one will live again" part, which means that Alex actually comes back?

Jerthanis
2009-06-24, 11:11 AM
Man, it's been forever since I last read Runaways. I got out when Whedon started writing, because of the delays... what's happened since Joss left, writer-wise?

Shademan
2009-06-25, 02:05 PM
only part i read was the one with SPOILER ultron's son SPOILER/END in it. it was at the school library. would love to read more of it

Haven
2009-06-26, 05:32 AM
Wait, one will die, one will live again? Didn't we already have that title

When Gertrude died? Though I guess no-body came back to life, unless you count Alex in that void-space. Maybe this is the conclusion of that story arc, namely the "one will live again" part, which means that Alex actually comes back?

Not quite, but it was the same "tonight someone dies" thing--there was some sort of prophecy involved in-universe, too, I think. That was handled pretty well, actually; a lot of twists as to who was going to die.

And
Probably Alex; I don't think they'd bring back Gert, though that'd be great.

And I think it's probably gonna be Nico who dies. Just get that vibe :|

Dihan
2009-06-26, 07:06 AM
There are always someone lives and someone dies arks. For example in the Young X-Men, Dust was killed off then brought back really quickly... Then Wolfcub was killed.

I don't want any of the original Runaways to die - I'm a big fan of the Runaways though I haven't kept up with them much recently. I'll need to get more digests some time.

darkblade
2009-06-27, 11:13 PM
Man, it's been forever since I last read Runaways. I got out when Whedon started writing, because of the delays... what's happened since Joss left, writer-wise?

Terry Moore took over after Whedon left. He did two arcs Dead Wrong and Rock Zombies. Dead Wrong had a good concept about the fate of the rest of Karolina's race and gave Xavin a good send off but was loaded with so much out of character stuff it was hard to get through. Rock Zombies had an upsurd plot but managed to get everyone on the right track again.

Kathryn Immonen has so far done two issues. Issue 10 where the team visits San Fransisco and Molly has an adventure with Wolverine was fun but the more recent 11 as detailed below doesn't look so good.

In my hands I hold the newest issue and someone died. In fact two Runaways died really stupid deaths.

Due to Victor pirating radio signals to get music for their makeshifts "Runaways Prom" a plane crashes into their house (I don't really get it) and burries Old Lace and Klara under debris. The rest of the team saves Klara but not our favourite dinosaur. When Old Lace dies Chase dies from the psychic feedback. Klara freaks out over Old Lace's corpse and remains of the house are engulfed in plant vines.

So yeah....no idea about who is coming back yet.

Haven
2009-06-30, 01:38 AM
...Read it and raged.

Internet piracy? Really? After all this it's Victor using the neighbors' router that kills Chase? Really?

Gert's death was really meaningful and moving and stuff. This...really wasn't. Yeah, if volume 3 Runaways wasn't Discontinuity for me before, it is now.

Maybe the deceased'll come back next issue? Sure, that'd make this nothing more than a dumb stunt, but, really, there's no way to change that.

darkblade
2009-06-30, 12:13 PM
Maybe the deceased'll come back next issue? Sure, that'd make this nothing more than a dumb stunt, but, really, there's no way to change that.

Unfortunately thats unlikely since....

http://i.newsarama.com/preview_images/marvelnew/sept09/90_runaways_14.jpg

That is the add for #14. Seriously it looks like they're bringing back Gert after killing off her boyfriend and her power source. ~Headdesk~

Jerthanis
2009-06-30, 03:10 PM
... maybe I shouldn't get back into Runaways.

chiasaur11
2009-06-30, 03:16 PM
... maybe I shouldn't get back into Runaways.

Maybe you're right.

Haven
2009-06-30, 04:54 PM
Unfortunately thats unlikely since....

http://i.newsarama.com/preview_images/marvelnew/sept09/90_runaways_14.jpg

That is the add for #14. Seriously it looks like they're bringing back Gert after killing off her boyfriend and her power source. ~Headdesk~

http://www.dailyhaha.com/_pics/at_first_but_then.jpg

Don't get me wrong; Gert is awesome, but killing her dinosaur and her boyfriend before bringing her back makes this even MORE gimmicky/cheaply exploitative, WHICH I THOUGHT WAS NOT POSSIBLE

What next? Will there be a gratuitous cameo? A crossover with Marvel Zombies? Karolina turns out to be pregnant, somehow? Molly turns out to be a psychopath? (Actually, considering Klara's reaction, that's really not too far off...) >><

darkblade
2009-06-30, 06:48 PM
What next? Will there be a gratuitous cameo?

Gratuitous cameos? You mean like Cloak & Dagger, Captain America The Wrecking Crew, all of Excelsior, Ultron, The Swarm, Iron Man, Spider-man...screw this every superthing they have meet that wasn't directly related to the Pride or the Pride's actions.

A crossover with Marvel Zombies?

Actually I have a feeling that after Dark Reign ends the next big crossover event will be about the Marvel Zombies since they are now in Earth-616 and we have seen zombie versions of The Runaways in one of the Marvel Zombies Vs Army of Darkness so that one is not all that unlikely.

Karolina turns out to be pregnant, somehow?

You never know Xavin was a shapeshifter....

Molly turns out to be a psychopath? (Actually, considering Klara's reaction, that's really not too far off...) >><

She wouldn't even let Wolverine kill the random mutant that going to kill her to get revenge on her parents and even felt bad for punching the Punisher. They better not do that.

Although bringing back Gert is a better alternative than bringing back Alex, it is just made stupid because of who they killed. I was really thinking Klara was going to die since no one has known what to do with her since Whedon added her to the team with little characterization and no real motives in the present and killing an 11 year old would shock people.