PDA

View Full Version : Scion

Stark
2009-05-29, 04:22 AM
My gaming group and I are looking for another system to try, and I started reading through a friends copy of Scion. I really like the idea behind it, but I've been told that its hard to run. Any of you played/run the game and have any feedback on the game, or advice on how to run it?

Blackfang108
2009-05-29, 08:43 AM
I've had Hero since it came out, and am getting ready to run a few one-shots with some friends of mine, before launching into an actual campaign.

I think the largest challenge (for me) is creating social encounters. (Having those stats be my IRL dump stats doesn't help.)

Combat looks messy when you first start reading it, but, having run a few solo combats just to get a feel helps. (I highly recommend the "circle timer" they show in a sidebar. it really can help.)

The other challenges for me were conceptulizing Aggrivated damage(becasue there is no real example, unlike Bashing and Lethal), and deciding on a baseline three-die stunt. (I do like how the example one-die stunt was for something you wouldn't normally think of. Epic Research!)

Lost Demiurge
2009-05-29, 08:45 AM
I tried running it once. It's really hard to scale foes to the PC's. Especially if the PC's go in vastly different directions... One guy plays the ultimate gardener, who can do a ton of non-combat stuff and ROCKS when it comes to enhancing plants, the other guy plays supa-neenjah, who can't be hit by anything short of a moon falling on him, and who can chopsocky a giant to death with three katana swipes. Throw in enemies to challenge the neenjah, you're almost guaranteed to smush gardener guy.

The game also assumes that the PC's are gonna make hardcore fighters, and sets most monsters accordingly.

There's a fun game there if you're willing to do some work and refitting the default stats to suit your group, but I wasn't. Still, if you wanna take the time I reckon it could be enjoyable...

Talya
2009-05-29, 08:52 AM
My gaming group and I are looking for another system to try, and I started reading through a friends copy of Scion. I really like the idea behind it, but I've been told that its hard to run. Any of you played/run the game and have any feedback on the game, or advice on how to run it?

I'm playing it in a PbP game. The mechanics of it are...strange. Epic Attributes scale up very quickly and make so many other things redundant. Still a very neat setting though.

Stark
2009-05-29, 08:19 PM
thanks for the input. Are there many/any premade campaigns that people know of, or is the idea that your meant to make all of them on your own?