Stonehorn
Huge Magical Beast [Earth]
Hit Dice: 12d10+84 (194hp)
Initiative: -1
Speed: 40 ft. (8 squares)
Armour Class: 28 (Natural Armour +21, Dex -1, Size -2), Touch 7, FF 28
BAB/Grapple: +12/+30
Attack: Gore +22 (3d6+15)
Full attack: Gore +22 (3d6+15), 2 slams +17 (1d10+10)
Space/Reach: 15ft./15ft.
Special Attacks: Charge
Special Qualities: Damage Reduction 10/Adamantine, Immutable form, Darkvision 60ft., Tremorsense 120ft.
Saves: Fort +15, Ref +7, Will +6
Abilities: Str 31, Dex 8, Con 25, Int 2, Wis 15, Cha 8
Skills: Climb +20, Spot +2, Listen +2
Feats: Power Attack, Cleave, Improved Bullrush, Awesome Blow, Improved Natural Armour
Challenge Rating: 12

Charge: When charging, the Stonehorn's gore attack deals 8d8+22 damage.
Immutable form: The Stonehorn is immune to all transmutation effects.

Picture by Hugh Jamieson (http://www.paintandsuffering.com/html/main_ie.html).

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-05-08, 10:41 AM
Mechanically a few things are off.

#1. Its got the Earth subtype which usually gives it a burrow speed. This isn't strictly mandatory, but what makes it Earth-like? Its a good climber obviously and obviously likes trees, so where does its tie to stone come in?

#2. Its got 150 hp. How you determine average HP is half the d# and add .5.

So from your d10 you half it to 5.5. Then multiply it by the 12 there. 5.5 x 12 = 66. 66 + 84 = 150.

#3. Speed needs the ammount of squares it passes through. 1 square per 5 feet of movement, so 5 divided by 40 = 8. Speed 40 ft. (8 squares).

#4. Armor Class needs the touch and flat-footed bit. Touch ignores armor, and so its touch AC would be 7. Flat-footed ignores dexterity, but as you have no positive dex mod it remains at 27 for its flat-footedness.

#5. I do this all the time, but you forgot to subtract its size modifier from its attack, which is -2 for Huge, for an attack of 20.

#6. It should have 5 feats, one at 1st level and another for every 3 HD afterwards.

#7. Where is its Environment, Organization, Treasure, Alignment, or Advancement?

Enviroment looks like temperate forests, organization solitary or mates? Treasure would be none unless they were bred to guard areas. Alignment would be neutral as it isn't sentient, and advancement, dunno, do they get bigger or anything?

Also, what about its backstory? Where do they come from? What life do they live? Are they naturally evolved or an expirement of some kind? Do they lay eggs or give life birth? Are they sneaky hunters or bold and brazen?

The picture looks interesting, so lets bring it to life :)

Dhavaer
2006-05-08, 10:44 AM
I don't know. I saw the picture and made up the monster while reading Casey and Andy.
I don't know what happened with the hitpoints. It's almost 1 in the morning and I multiplied 11 by 10 for some reason. Fixing.

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-05-08, 10:47 AM
Hrmmm, it also has a club. Makes me think it'd be intelligent, or at least in some way trained to use a club if you want to go for animal intellect. A greatclub attack probably wouldn't be out of the question.

Dhavaer
2006-05-08, 10:51 AM
My tired brain interpreted that as a fallen tree it was leaning on. I'm not currently qualified to make monsters.
If I remember what I was thinking in the morning, I'll apply some sense to it. Night.

Falrin
2006-05-08, 10:52 AM
Looking at the picture, I'm kinda disappointed it's not sentient.
To me it looks like Monstrous Humanoid.
I'd give them :
7 int.
Simple Weapon Proficiency.
Favoured Class : Barbarian.
Maybe Scent
Speak : Giant

As for extra feats : Improved overrun, Improved Thougness, Run, Endurance, ...

But I see them now as Huge Primitive humanoids, living in small tribes in the woods. Quit agressive carnivours, but not necesseraly evil.

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-05-08, 10:53 AM
Yeah, now that I look at the picture closer it looks like its wearing armor. Monsterous humanoid or giant does seem to fit best the picture. In fact, the armor kinda looks lik dried skin of the creature itself. That'd make an interesting background as they wear the skins of their downed brethren to war in honor of their memory.

Fhaolan
2006-05-08, 11:05 AM
But I see them now as Huge Primitive humanoids, living in small tribes in the woods. Quit agressive carnivours, but not necesseraly evil.

When I look at the teeth in the picture, I see a resemblance to a wild boar, razorback, and other similar beasties. The heavy armor-like hide says rhino to me. With just a hint of hammer-head shark for the eyes. The reddish-brown stuff looks like actual armor (I think I see straps) made specifically for the creature.

My interpretation would be a very aggresive *herbivore*, trained and equiped by someone else. This particular individual has been 'off the reservation' for awhile, as it's armor is all rusted and dented, apparantly has lost it's more advanced weapon, and has reverted back to something it could make itself; a club.

EDIT: You might be right, that armor may be made from hide. The reddish-brown made me think it was rusty, but that might just be the color of the hide. It's own hide doesn't look as spiny as the armor is, so I'd think it's from some other creature.

Dhavaer
2006-05-09, 07:47 AM
Rhinox
Large Monstrous Humanoid
Hit Dice: 6d8+18 (36hp)
Initiative: -1
Speed: 30 (6 squares)
Armour Class: 21 (-1 Size, -1 Dex, +10 Natural, +3 Spiked Hide Armour), Touch 8, FF 21
BAB/Grapple: +6
Attack: Gore +10 (2d6+7) or Greatclub +10 (2d8+7)
Full Attack: Gore +10 (2d6+7) or Greatclub +10/5(2d8+7)
Space/Reach 10ft./10ft.
Special Attacks: Charge
Special Qualities: Darkvision 60ft
Saves: Fort +5, Ref +4, Will +6
Abilities: Str 21, Dex 8, Con 16, Int 7, Wis 12, Cha 9
Skills: Spot +6, Listen +5
Feats: Power Attack, Cleave, Improved Bullrush
Environment: Any Forest
Organisation: Single, Squad (2-8)
Challenge Rating: 5
Treasure: 1/2 coins, 1/2 goods (gems only), standard items
Alignment: Often Neutral
Advancement: By class
LA: +2

Rhinox speak Giant. Intelligent specimens often speak Common or Orc. Their favoured class is barbarian.

Charge: When charging, the Rhinox's horn does 3d8+10 damage.