PDA

View Full Version : Gunkata

Fastmover
2009-05-29, 11:04 AM
Hey guys,

I'm looking to make a char like the Grammaton Cleric from "Equilibrium."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tINWl0gzQWI

I was thinking of using either dual Repeating Crossbows or (wishful thinking for shear look, impractical I'm sure) dual wands. I was thinking of starting with the Monk Class. But I don't care what I start with as long as I end up like that guy. :P

Lycanthromancer
2009-05-29, 11:18 AM
Have you tried psychotropic drugs?

sonofzeal
2009-05-29, 11:22 AM
Start with Monk, and multiclass into Rogue. Use daggers with Flurry, TWF, and Rapid Shot. Take Master Thrower. Go to town. ^___^

Baron Malkar
2009-05-29, 11:30 AM
Step 1: Get your DM to allow the Hand Crossbow as a special monk weapon.

step 2: make a monk with rapid shot and the TWF tree (number of attacks is key).

Step 3: have 2 Force(MIC) Quick Loading(MIC) Brilliant Energy(DMG) Hand Crossbows of Speed made for you.

Step 4:???

Step 5: Profit:smallbiggrin:

sonofzeal
2009-05-29, 11:38 AM
Step 1: Get your DM to allow the Hand Crossbow as a special monk weapon.

step 2: make a monk with rapid shot and the TWF tree (number of attacks is key).

Step 3: have 2 Force(MIC) Quick Loading(MIC) Brilliant Energy(DMG) Hand Crossbows of Speed made for you.

Step 4:???

Step 5: Profit:smallbiggrin:
You need scout or rogue to get some massive precision damage on there; daggers negate the need for Quick Loading; Master Thrower negates the need for Brilliant Energy (if I remember correctly).

Baron Malkar
2009-05-29, 12:04 PM
:smallconfused: I dont think force works on Daggers what with them bieng thrown weapons not ranged weapons.

also he was asking for a gunkatta build not how to throw pointy objects realy well. though I will concede that precision damage is necessary.

Set
2009-05-29, 12:09 PM
I was thinking of using either dual Repeating Crossbows or (wishful thinking for shear look, impractical I'm sure) dual wands.

Tycho Brahe (no, not the golden-nosed astronomer, the one behind Song of the Sorcelator) weeps.

There's a smoking awesome Tetragrammaton Cleric build over at the Atomic Think Tank, but it's for Mutants & Masterminds. I'd have no idea where to start with D&D...

A Thri-Kreen with a pair of longbows would probably be your best bet, to get the mechanics (since they are easier to ready and fire than crossbows), although the most accurate choice visually would be to use actual firearms from one of the many d20 Fantasy settings that use them (Midnight, IIRC, Green Ronin's Freeport setting, Paizo's Golarion setting, probably a few others that I'm missing, like Skull & Bones).

A pair of repeating hand or light crossbows might be possible, but would be tricky to re-prep for firing (since I don't think that repeating crossbows re-draw themselves, and the character would need either magical crossbows that re-draw themselves or four limbs).

The quirkiest of all would be a character that carries two magic rods that can cast two 0 level cantrips at will as a free or swift action. Devlin's Barb (from Monte Cooks Book of Eldritch Might, creates one crossbow bolt or arrow) and Launch Bolt (Spell Compendium, launches one bolt or arrow in hand). The holder of the 'Bolt-Throwers' would snap them down to 'load' them with Devlin's Barb and then point them at his target(s) and activate the Launch Bolt cantrip, which would fire the bolts at the target(s).

At higher level, he could get his 'Bolt-Throwers' magically enhanced to add a magical enhancement bonus to the bolts thrown, or other bonuses (such as Screaming or Keen, or, best of all, Splitting, from one of the Faerun supplements). He could also get the Bolt-Throwers enchanted to function as +1 Clubs or Maces in melee combat, for when he gets into the thick of it!

Zeta Kai
2009-05-29, 12:23 PM
Either Son of Zeal's or Baron Malkar's suggestions would work for the offensive applications of the art, but the true core of gunkata (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gunkata) is defensive. It's based in the probabilities of where a projectile's path is going to be & not being there. Therefore, I'd say the best representation of gunkata in d20 rules would an Intelligence-based bonus to one's AC in regards to ranged attacks. Wisdom-based would work, too.

SurlySeraph
2009-05-29, 12:51 PM
Here. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=100369) Try dual-wielding Quick-Loading (MIC) crossbows using an unseen servant (from the spell or an item that casts it), or the Third Hand item (MIC), to reload them.

There's also a Dual Wand Wielder feat somewhere, I think in Complete Mage.

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-05-29, 03:35 PM
Artificer(ECS). Snag Magic Missile or Scorching Ray wands, maybe Twin Spell or Split Ray, Dual Wand Wielder, and the feat that allows you to spend charges for metamagic. Hit yourself with defensive buffs, then open fire.

elliott20
2009-05-30, 11:51 AM
I'm sorry, but the concept, once you take actual guns out of the picture, just doesn't work. By that point, you're basically sitting on just going with any agile TWF build. If you really want to do it, easiest I can think of is go ToB, pick up tiger claw discipline, and go to town with that.