PDA

View Full Version : Heavy Armor w/o movement penalty?

Choco
2009-05-29, 02:13 PM
I was wondering, is there any feat or class feature (or maybe even a type of magic item) that lets you use heavy armor without the movement penalty? Or for that matter, reduces the armor check penalty for jumping and such? Dang penalties always get in the way of decent charges...

Pramxnim
2009-05-29, 02:16 PM
The Knight (PHB II, p24) has such a class feature (you gain the ability to move in Medium armour w/o penalty, and then heavy armour). Hope that's what you're looking for.

For ACP, Masterwork Armor reduces that by 1, the MIC also has some enhancement bonuses that further reduce the ACP. The feat Armor Specialization in PHB II does that too, I think.

Deepblue706
2009-05-29, 02:21 PM
In addition to that, you can always get Boots of Striding and Springing, which is +10ft to move speed and +5 to jump checks. 5,500gp.

Tsotha-lanti
2009-05-29, 02:22 PM
Make it mithral.

I think the Champion of Corellon Larethian also gets the class feature to remove movement penalties.

Alleine
2009-05-29, 02:32 PM
The halfweight enchantment from Underdark is a +3, halves the weight of the armor and essentially changes it to light. You could even do this with mountain plate to negate the movement penalties!

sofawall
2009-05-29, 02:34 PM
Dwarf. Dwarf. Dwarf.

Tengu_temp
2009-05-29, 02:48 PM
Make it mithral.

Medium armor still reduces your movement.

Human Paragon 3
2009-05-29, 02:53 PM
Try Dread Commando, too (Heroes of Battle). Reduces armor class penalty by -4 and lets you hide while moving with no penalty and hide while RUNNING at just -10. Full BAB, an initiative bonus and 3 sudden strike dice. Great class. Needs dodge and mobility, though.

Darrin
2009-05-29, 02:55 PM
I was wondering, is there any feat or class feature (or maybe even a type of magic item) that lets you use heavy armor without the movement penalty? Or for that matter, reduces the armor check penalty for jumping and such? Dang penalties always get in the way of decent charges...

1) Be a dwarf.

2) Teeth of Dahlver-Nar: Savnok (Tome of Magic p. 79). Gives you the same ability as a dwarf. Unfortunately, you are automatically under Savnok's influence as if you'd failed a binding check... very annoying. If you ever pick up any item that improves your AC and then later put it down or remove it, Savnok will penalize you for not following his influence (-1 on attack/saves/checks). The only way to get rid of this penalty is to remove and re-insert the tooth, then wait 24 hours before it starts working. Also annoying: this same ability isn't available if you actually have Binder levels or the Bind Vestige feats. Even more annoying: you cannot avoid the influence or penalty with a binding check or supress sign ability.

Edit: Apparently this ability is available by binding Aym (see post below).

3) Fighter Alternate Class Feature: Armored Savant (Dragon #355). Give up your first level feat to treat armor as if it were one category lighter, including movement. Combine with mithril/glassteel/etc. armor to treat heavy armor as if it were light armor.

Goatman_Ted
2009-05-29, 02:59 PM
Bind Vestige feat for Aym's Dwarven Step: low investment, available from level 1.

Optimystik
2009-05-29, 03:03 PM
Dwarf. Dwarf. Dwarf.

A winrar is you!

Choco
2009-05-29, 03:12 PM
Nice, thanks for all the help guys!

I'll probably go with the Boots of Striding and Springing AND the halfweight enchantment, that way I can save my feats for improving my offense and initiative... Cause who needs defense when ya kill the enemy in the first round anyway :smallbiggrin: The heavy armor is more for bigger power attacks (through the Shock Trooper feat) than for defense anyway...

ChaosDefender24
2009-05-29, 03:21 PM
greater luminous armor