PDA

View Full Version : I'll huff, and I'll puff, and I'll blooooooow...

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-04-26, 05:35 PM
You'll never guess what inspired this ;)

-=-=-=-=-

Pufferwolf

Medium Magical Beast (Air, Extraplanar)
Initiative: 4d10+24 (46 hp)
Speed: 80 ft. (16 squares), 60 ft. (good) (elemental plane of air only)
Armor Class: 19 (+4 dex, +5 natural)
Base Attack/Grapple: +4/+6
Attack: Bite +9 melee (1d6+3)
Full attack: Bite +9 melee (1d6+3)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Great huff, pack direction, trip
Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft., hold breath, low-light vision, scent, sprint, stormwise
Saves: Fort +10, Ref +8, Will +3
Abilities: Str 14, Dex 18, Con 23, Int 6, Wis 15, Cha 10
Skills: Listen +13, Spot +14, *Survival +2
Feats: Flyby Attack, Weapon Focus (bite), Weapon Finesse(B)
Environment: Elemental Plane of Air or any plains
Organization: Solitary, pair, or pack (7–16)
Challenge Rating: 4
Treasure: None
Alignment: Usually Chaotic Neutral
Advancement: 5 HD (Medium), 6-12 HD (Large)
Level Adjustment: -

Pufferwolves appear much as slightly larger, versions of terrestrial wolves, with incredibly shaggy light grey to pure white fur thats wild and wind tostled. Their eyes are as reflective as a mirror and their stare intense. They have massive chests that while standing literally brush the ground, giving them an obese appearance. Their legs are very subtely different as well, able to be pulled up seemlessly with the body for enhanced speed in their home plane.

Pufferwolves are dangerous opponents to run across within the elemental plane of air, forming vast packs. In particular they detest any obstructions that mar the clear vastness of the plane, and will often try to destroy the obstruction and scatter its pieces into the wind.

Pufferwolves speak auran in booming voices that can be heard for miles if they make the effort, even in strong winds.

Combat
Pufferwolves prefer to hunt in packs, forming a vast sphere around their prey and then diving inwards to snag their meal. Against larger, more dangerous beasts they come together to blow away or at least discourage the threat.

Hold Breath (Ex): A pufferwolf can hold its breath for a number of rounds equal to 8 x its Constitution score before it need breathe again.

Great Huff (Ex): As a full round action a pufferwolf can simply inhale, doing nothing but drawing in breath. On the following round it may use another full round to exhale in a 60 foot cone that acts as a windstorm (p. 95 DMG). It may continue this cone for 1 round per con mod (1 round minimum), and may redirect the cone to another direction each round. It can retain this great huff for as long as it can hold its breath. If it decides at any time not to use its huff it can release it over the course of a minute without any ill effects. This is not considered an action in any form, but it may not take another great huff until it has fully exhaled. If multiple wolves blow in the same direction those within the cones must make a seperate save for each wolf involved.

If an inhaled toxin is release at anytime during its inhalation a pufferwolf takes a -4 penalty on saves against it.

Pack Direction (Ex): Pufferwolves have long since mastered the circling of prey in three dimensions and gain a +4 bonus instead of the normal +2 when flanking prey threatened by another member of the pack.

Sprint (Ex): A pufferwolf can move up to six times its normal speed when it runs or flies quickly.

Stormwise (Ex): A pufferwolf gains a +6 bonus to saves against strong winds and are not considered a smaller size category if flying.

Trip (Ex): A pufferwolf that hits with a bite attack can attempt to trip the opponent (+1 check modifier) as a free action without making a touch attack or provoking an attack of opportunity. If the attempt fails, the opponent cannot react to trip the pufferwolf.

Skills: Pufferwolves have a +8 racial bonus on listen and spot checks. *They also have a +4 racial bonus on Survival checks when tracking by scent.

CaptainSam
2006-04-26, 05:42 PM
Nice one.

If you get one when it's at full inhalation and tie it's jaws together, could you pull it around on a bit of string like a baloon?

Be a great present for the kids!

TimeWizard
2006-04-26, 05:43 PM
Someone get the bricks

Amotis
2006-04-26, 05:45 PM
Now make the pigs ::)

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-04-26, 05:54 PM
Now make the pigs ::)
Just add the anthromorphic template from Savage Species to a boar, and there you go ;)

chaiyo
2006-04-26, 05:58 PM
If I could write good creatures like this on such a near-regular basis as Vorpal Tribble, I would only show them to friends and family, someday releasing them in an unofficial superbook under the psuedo-name Gary Hygax. Or something like that.

What I'm trying to say is, good job. Although, if there could be half CRs between whole number CRs, this would definitely be a 4.5.

Steward
2006-04-26, 07:01 PM
Nice monster. They should have a racial bonus against Animal subtypes. Especially domestic ones.

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-04-26, 07:05 PM
Although, if there could be half CRs between whole number CRs, this would definitely be a 4.5.
Heh, have thought this many a time. Its not quite one, but a bit powerful for the other.

Nice monster. They should have a racial bonus against Animal subtypes. Especially domestic ones.
Naw, why should they? Real wolves don't even get that, and they interact with animals all the time, while these guys hunt in the plane of air.

Steward
2006-04-26, 07:27 PM
Naw, why should they? Real wolves don't even get that, and they interact with animals all the time, while these guys hunt in the plane of air.

Just stickin' with the old mythology.

roadkiller
2006-04-26, 08:16 PM
Just give them Favored Enemy: Straw and Favored Enemy: Sticks.

Really, you could probably just make an online Monster Manual and put it on the forums. It'd get used more than a little.

Brickwall
2006-04-26, 08:46 PM
Great Huff (Ex): ...It may continue this cone for 1 round per con mod... It can retain this great huff for as long as it can hold its breath.

Umm, is that a contradiction, or did I read it wrong?

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-04-26, 09:25 PM
Just stickin' with the old mythology.
Which mythology is that? I don't recall anything like that in the three little pigs story.

Umm, is that a contradiction, or did I read it wrong?
You read it wrong ;)

It retains, as in keeps in, the air for as long as it can hold its breath. Kind of like keeps it ready for use. It can only let it out for 1 round per con mod however.

Brickwall
2006-04-26, 09:41 PM
OOHHH, so THAT'S what you meant by retain. I thought you meant retain the cone. Sorry. My bad.

Azrael
2006-04-26, 09:43 PM
Really, you could probably just make an online Monster Manual and put it on the forums. It'd get used more than a little.

It's called the "From the Playground Copendium." It's one of those sticky topic at the top of the list. Although, to be fair, I'm not sure how often it's being updated or how many of VT's monsters are listed. In case you missed it, our little Vorpal is awfully prolific.

EDIT: Jeebus, I just checked the Copendium. My, my what a big list you have there, Granny.

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-04-27, 12:02 PM
I think I only have maybe 20 monsters on there or so. I've not actually posted that many on these boards.