PDA

View Full Version : The Not-Lost Generation

Haruki-kun
2009-05-29, 06:41 PM
This is the most amazing video I've seen in a long time and fully reflects what I believe about my generation.

Watch the FULL thing, or else you won't get the meaning.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42E2fAWM6rA

Canadian
2009-05-29, 07:19 PM
Every generation is the same as the last. Except a little more lazy.

Recaiden
2009-05-29, 07:23 PM
This is the most amazing video I've seen in a long time and fully reflects what I believe about my generation.

Watch the FULL thing, or else you won't get the meaning.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42E2fAWM6rA

That was great. But what makes us sure people will decide to change things?

Canadian
2009-05-29, 07:25 PM
Look at American today. It is the fattest most out of shape lazy generation ever in the history of the world. The planet is doomed.

Recaiden
2009-05-29, 07:27 PM
Nevermind.

Canadian
2009-05-29, 07:30 PM
You must feel pretty bad about your own country. Why?

I'm not American I'm Canadian. We're much more fit than Americans. Plus we don't bomb people all the time.

Shadowcaller
2009-05-29, 07:32 PM
You must feel pretty bad about your own country. Why?

Recaiden, I must warn you. Canadian is pretty much a troll. You should not continue this conversation any further.

Canadian
2009-05-29, 07:34 PM
Recaiden, I must warn you. Canadian is pretty much a troll. You should not continue this conversation any further.

I have not said anything troll-ish at all.

DraPrime
2009-05-29, 07:35 PM
Ah, if only I were so optimistic about divorce rates in this country. Unfortunately, I think most people really have no idea what they're getting into when they get married, or they're simply driving themselves by emotion and not by thought.

I'm not American I'm Canadian. We're much more fit than Americans. Plus we don't bomb people all the time.

I advise that you be less self righteous. You won't get far here acting like that.

Shadowcaller
2009-05-29, 07:35 PM
I have not said anything troll-ish at all.

Well you have said a lot of troll-ish things in other threads, I will leave it to that. Good Day Sir.

Recaiden
2009-05-29, 07:36 PM

I know. It was a joke for anyone else who might actually notice those posts. But thank you. I'm glad that you care.

@Haruki: That's a good thing to believe. I agree, but I guess I just take a more pessimistic view of the same ideals, if that makes sense.

EDIT: Not to sound petulant, but please take your own advice. I will to, and I want this thread to be discussing this generation, whether or not we're part of it.

Canadian
2009-05-29, 07:37 PM
It's true. We don't bomb people all the time. Our friends to the south of us do that. Also divorce rates have gone way up over the years. It's 50% these days.

Erts
2009-05-29, 07:39 PM
Look at American today. It is the fattest most out of shape lazy generation ever in the history of the world. The planet is doomed.

Look, I can understand if you don't like America.
Yes, we have done some bad things.
Yes, we have some of the most stupid and bigoted people in the world.
But really...
We are not all that evil. I'm sick of people calling an entire nation of over 300 million fat, stupid, and evil.
Please, can you try to stop the bigotry?

DraPrime
2009-05-29, 07:50 PM
It's true. We don't bomb people all the time. Our friends to the south of us do that. Also divorce rates have gone way up over the years. It's 50% these days.

I recommend that you end this, before the mods bring down the great big hammer of smiting upon you. They're not happy when someone goes ranting about such stuff and insulting entire nations.

And really, Canada is simply America's hat :smalltongue:

rubakhin
2009-05-29, 07:50 PM
Hey, I'm apathetic and lethargic and don't give a good goddamn about anything beyond myself! This video is a lie!

I'm definitely not going to live another thirty years so you upright young citizens don't have to worry about the drain I am on your society, though.

reorith
2009-05-29, 07:51 PM

Canadian isn't an american! z0mg i'm shocked.

Haruki-kun
2009-05-29, 07:51 PM
:smallsigh:

This is why we can't have nice things.

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t288/Vaarsuvius89/threadderailed.jpg

DraPrime
2009-05-29, 07:53 PM
:smallsigh:

This is why we can't have nice things.

It's what happens when you bring up a serious topic amongst crazy and silly people.

Canadian
2009-05-29, 07:55 PM
Look, I can understand if you don't like America.
Yes, we have done some bad things.
Yes, we have some of the most stupid and bigoted people in the world.
But really...
We are not all that evil. I'm sick of people calling an entire nation of over 300 million fat, stupid, and evil.
Please, can you try to stop the bigotry?

I never said evil or bigoted or stupid.

I just said fattest and most our of shape on the planet. True.

Plus the bombing thing. Also true.

Haruki-kun
It's what happens when you bring up a serious topic amongst crazy and silly people.

Yeah, I'll keep it in mind next time I decide to share something I like.

Recaiden
I'm definitely not going to live another thirty years

Why do you say that? Did I miss something the last time you told us about yourself?

@^: Not really.

I agree that while many people of our generation believe in such things, that that will change and many others actually do not care.

Canadian
2009-05-29, 07:59 PM
Why do you say that? Did I miss something the last time you told us about yourself?

@^: Not really.

I agree that while many people of our generation believe in such things, that that will change and many others actually do not care.

Belief is fine but it takes action to make changes. The current generation isn't to action oriented. As evidenced by the lack of physical activity.

Haruki-kun
2009-05-29, 08:00 PM
Belief is fine but it takes action to make changes. The current generation isn't to action oriented. As evidenced by the lack of physical activity.

Well, I'm glad you've managed to somehow turn this thread into a thread about obesity in the United States, but can we get back on topic now, please?

Thank you.

DraPrime
2009-05-29, 08:01 PM
Yeah, I'll keep it in mind next time I decide to share something I like.

Yes, well back to the topic.

I think a lot of the stuff brought up here will be fixed, although not the divorce things, for reasons that I already mentioned. As cynical as I am, I do believe that most humans have some essential good traits within them, such as a love for their children, although sometimes that can be...lacking. Regardless, stuff will change, but other bad stuff will come along. It usually does.

Canadian
2009-05-29, 08:02 PM
Well, I'm glad you've managed to somehow turn this thread into a thread about obesity in the United States, but can we get back on topic now, please?

Thank you.

Perhaps you'd care to expound on the topic as your O.P. was uber short.

You're like " I believe this to be true."

I'm like " I disagree here's why."

DraPrime
2009-05-29, 08:04 PM
Perhaps you'd care to expound on the topic as your O.P. was uber short.

You're like " I believe this to be true."

I'm like " I disagree here's why."

*facepalm*

What I think Haruki was saying, is that you're getting off topic. He hasn't said anything about obesity in American, while you continue to bring it up. So, if you want to talk about obesity in America, start a thread on it. This is about something else.

Canadian
2009-05-29, 08:07 PM
*facepalm*

What I think Haruki was saying, is that you're getting off topic. He hasn't said anything about obesity in American, while you continue to bring it up. So, if you want to talk about obesity in America, start a thread on it. This is about something else.

The whole movie talks about how this generation in America is going to change everything for the better.

My comment was to the effect that this generation won't change anything. The proof is that this generation is too lazy to even get off the couch and America has more obese lazy people than any other country in the world.

If this generation was so great don't you think they'd be out doing things?

Jkoshe
2009-05-29, 08:08 PM
I think I understand what Canadian is trying to say. He just chose a bad way to try and express it.

He thinks that this generation will not change the world because they are lazy. He was using the high obesity rate as and example. He just needs to come up with more then one, rehashing the same thing over and over doesn't make it a better example.

However I agree with Haruki I think this generation will be the one to make the change. If only because the idea of being grouped into a generation like that will make enough of us make things change. A refusal to fall to societies beliefs.

Canadian
2009-05-29, 08:10 PM
I think I understand what Canadian is trying to say. He just chose a bad way to try and express it.

He thinks that this generation will not change the world because they are lazy. He was using the high obesity rate as and example. He just needs to come up with more then one, rehashing the same thing over and over doesn't make it a better example.

However I agree with Haruki I think this generation will be the one to make the change. If only because the idea of being grouped into a generation like that will make enough of us make things change. A refusal to fall to societies beliefs.

Thanks!

Here are a few more examples:

Fighting in a war that was started based upon lies.

Buying all kinds of houses and cars with spinning rims financed with sub prime mortgages causing and implosion of the American and world economy.

Continuing the same costly war and spending habits even though every piece of evidence points to the fact that doing so is suicidal.

Plus the fat thing...:smallsmile:

DraPrime
2009-05-29, 08:12 PM
The whole movie talks about how this generation in America is going to change everything for the better.

My comment was to the effect that this generation won't change anything. The proof is that this generation is too lazy to even get off the couch and America has more obese lazy people than any other country in the world.

So...the obesity of what is largely the ADULTS, affects the younger generation?

Edit: And are you aware of the NO POLITICS rule that this forum has? It's enforced rather well.

Jkoshe
2009-05-29, 08:19 PM
I'd like to note various things that this generation are doing. Well all your arguments are good there are a few issues I'd like to address first.

Yes this happened, but it was protested by a good proportion of the population and guess what lots of them where of the new generation

Buying all kinds of houses and cars with spinning rims financed with sub prime mortgages causing and implosion of the American and world economy.
-This is mostly caused by the previous generation, as well as the banks financing said loans, However this doesn't absolve them of blame some people in this generation did buy in to this. Why, the prime reason there are so many housing mortgages are the price of houses. This generation has to get into the housing market somehow and in some causes this was the only way they could do so

Continuing the same costly war
Same deal, the past generation started and are what keeps the war running, it is unrelated to this generation.

But serious there are a number of good things this generation are doing.
More and more people in this generation are abstaining, doing so helps save the world from the populations flood we are currently in.

People are more conscious of the environment, this is show by the increase in green policies, why to appeal to the youth voter the "lost" generation.

(No politics...oops I should delete this post then eh?)

Canadian
2009-05-29, 08:19 PM
So...the obesity of what is largely the ADULTS, affects the younger generation?

Edit: And are you aware of the NO POLITICS rule that this forum has? It's enforced rather well.

The obesity is largely of large Americans of all ages.

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u41/siblog/fat_kid.jpg

There are whole multi generational fat lazy American families.

DraPrime
2009-05-29, 08:20 PM

Well I've got a big question for you. How does this prevent the actual making of progress, oh mighty resident of America's hat?

Berserk Monk
2009-05-29, 08:22 PM
DAMN! Nice video. Very creative what they did with the text being read backwards.

Canadian
2009-05-29, 08:23 PM
I'd like to note various things that this generation are doing. Well all your arguments are good there are a few issues I'd like to address first.

Yes this happened, but it was protested by a good proportion of the population and guess what lots of them where of the new generation

-This is mostly caused by the previous generation, as well as the banks financing said loans, However this doesn't absolve them of blame some people in this generation did buy in to this. Why, the prime reason there are so many housing mortgages are the price of houses. This generation has to get into the housing market somehow and in some causes this was the only way they could do so

Continuing the same costly war
Same deal, the past generation started and are what keeps the war running, it is unrelated to this generation.

But serious there are a number of good things this generation are doing.
More and more people in this generation are abstaining, doing so helps save the world from the populations flood we are currently in.

People are more conscious of the environment, this is show by the increase in green policies, why to appeal to the youth voter the "lost" generation.

(No politics...oops I should delete this post then eh?)

Well there are some flaws.

People in the older generation already have their houses and cars paid off. People in their 50's and 60's don't buy spinning rims and over the top sound systems for their cars. They don't have mortgages because they paid theirs off long ago. It is the younger generation that is at fault.

Protesting a bad war isn't the same as stopping it. I've also never seen a grunt over the age of 33. Most of the people fighting are in their early 20's. If we wanted the war to stop tomorrow all we need to do is get the young people to refuse to fight.

Saying it's the old people's fault is just an excuse to keep things the same.

Which was exactly my point.

This generation isn't changing anything.

DAMN! Nice video. Very creative what they did with the text being read backwards.

I agree the way the video itself was made was very creative! :smallsmile:

Szilard
2009-05-29, 08:25 PM
For Canadian's side, I'm going to say that the movie WALL-E shows what being lazy and fat can do.
For AMERICA!(TM), I'm going to say that America is also one of the largest (In terms of poulation) in the world. (Well, somewhere in the top twenty or so.) Saying we have the most fat people is kind of unfair, considering that we have quite a lot of people. (Somewhere over 300 million.)

As for the original purpose of this thread, I thought it was kind of cool when they did the backwards thing.

EDIT: Remember that soldiers are fighting that war so that you can even have the right to protest wars at all.

Canadian
2009-05-29, 08:26 PM
Well I've got a big question for you. How does this prevent the actual making of progress, oh mighty resident of America's hat?

You don't know how laziness prevents progress? You'll never change anything.

Jkoshe
What I believe Canadian was saying was that if these people are to lazy to stay fit how can we expect them to do good for the world..

I find it awful hard to argue that point, however this whole generation isn't fat and lazy, there are many people in this generation who are a normal or underweight. This generation has it's fair share of activists as well. I know a multitude of people who are involved in protests and the like to try and change the way things are.

I hardly said it's the fault of the old, I meant it's the fault of the governments..However your are right, it is the younger generation who do the exorbiant spending.

Renegade Paladin
This is going to be the featured video on my channel for awhile.

Canadian
2009-05-29, 08:27 PM
For Canadian's side, I'm going to say that the movie WALL-E shows what being lazy and fat can do.
For AMERICA!(TM), I'm going to say that America is also one of the largest (In terms of poulation) in the world. (Well, somewhere in the top twenty or so.) Saying we have the most fat people is kind of unfair, considering that we have quite a lot of people. (Somewhere over 300 million.)

As for the original purpose of this thread, I thought it was kind of cool when they did the backwards thing.

I agree. When I say America has the most fat and therefore lazy people I'm referring to a percentage of the population. Even still China and India may not have as many fat and lazy people as America.

China seems poised to take over the world. If there is going to be a generation change It'll be from young, fit, and ambitious people in other parts of the world.

What I believe Canadian was saying was that if these people are to lazy to stay fit how can we expect them to do good for the world..

I find it awful hard to argue that point, however this whole generation isn't fat and lazy, there are many people in this generation who are a normal or underweight. This generation has it's fair share of activists as well. I know a multitude of people who are involved in protests and the like to try and change the way things are.

I hardly said it's the fault of the old, I meant it's the fault of the governments..However your are right, it is the younger generation who do the exorbiant spending.

There's a problem with your system. You live in a democracy. As long as the majority of people in your society are fat and lazy nothing will ever change.

Szilard
2009-05-29, 08:29 PM
That was one thing I forgot to say, Americans are fat because they have food to eat. People in China or India are less fortunate at times. :smallfrown:

Jkoshe
2009-05-29, 08:30 PM
I respectfully disagree Canadian. If there is a change it will have to be something where the generation cooperates to make change, one country no matter how strong will not change the whole world... (Unless they take over the world :smalleek:) They need the cooperation of the other populations. There are many people who are willing to work for change. There are also many people who are lazy, but it has been so in many generations. Way back when those people wouldn't have made it because they had to do hard work to survive, work that required the body to be fit.

Yes I do live in a democracy. You are correct. In fact I live in Canada. :smalltongue:

Canadian
2009-05-29, 08:31 PM
That was one thing I forgot to say, Americans are fat because they have food to eat. People in China or India are less fortunate at times. :smallfrown:

They also work twice as hard for far less money under worse conditions. A few American dollars a day is all they get to keep their families fed.

I respectfully disagree Canadian. If there is a change it will have to be something where the generation cooperates to make change, one country no matter how strong will not change the whole world... (Unless they take over the world :smalleek:) They need the cooperation of the other populations. There are many people who are willing to work for change. There are also many people who are lazy, but it has been so in many generations. Way back when those people wouldn't have made it because they had to do hard work to survive, work that required the body to be fit.

Yes I do live in a democracy. You are correct. In fact I live in Canada. :smalltongue:

That's the thing. Other people around the world are far more ambitious and hard working than Americans. On a global scale the fat and lazy are headed for a global darwin award. It is survival of the fittest not the fattest.

Szilard
2009-05-29, 08:43 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Umq6ac5r5uM&eurl

A response of sorts to the OP's video link.

Jkoshe
2009-05-29, 08:45 PM
It's rather sad that in today's society the lazy can thrive. But I suppose that's what good health care practices lead to.

Yes but by starving the people in India and africa we are doing the world a huge favor, there are too many of them already (the world is 4 billion over optimum population of humans) Therefore I find it hard to pity the people who don't get enough. I hope they can learn to work there way out of it though by getting food off those who don't deserve it, the fat and lazy.

But seriously, this generation has to make a change because if they don't there can't be too many more generations after, 2 or 3 maybe.

Rapidwhirl
2009-05-29, 09:26 PM
That's a good video, with an inspiring message. Reversing the text was creative. I like it.

As to the discussion at hand, I think it is undeniable that a good portion of this generation is brilliant but lazy. We have been handed everything we need from our parents, and lack the ambition to break the mold like the first generation of Americans did back in 1775. However, to say that this is just the way things are... is to give up. While everyone else may be defeatist, I will continue working to improve this country.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2009-05-29, 09:29 PM
I agree with Jkoshe. It is sad that the lazy can thrive in consumerist, capitalist societies. You'll notice that I'm not only talking about america, but the Western world in general. Just in case anybody starts thinking I'm just an ignorant person sitting on a hat...

Mind you, I found the video very depressing up to the midway point, and then it made me happy. A well-done, simple video.

Mind you, I do get sorta nervous at the rate things are going down-hill nowadays, and I'm sorta afraid of the world that I will come into my own in. I'm not even 15 yet, so in 5 years time, what will the world be like for me, once I am finally able to begin my life proper? Will the depression last as long as the great depression? If it does, than I am screwed over when I try to find a job. What about the environment? What about the state of our fossil-fuel based infrastructure?

Why is it my generation that's going to have to drastically change our life style? If not us, why our children? Why not today?

I'm going to watch the video again to be cheered by the ending.

"The kids of tomorrow don't need today when the live in the sins of yesterday" - Billy Talent

Haruki-kun
2009-05-30, 12:39 AM
That's the thing. Other people around the world are far more ambitious and hard working than Americans. On a global scale the fat and lazy are headed for a global darwin award. It is survival of the fittest not the fattest.

And pray-tell why the hell is this related?

A) The video wasn't specifically talking about Americans.

B) WHO CARES?? We're not talking about fitness here! Do you want Fitness? start a thread on it.

KnightDisciple
2009-05-30, 12:57 AM
How do you start change?
Change yourself. Then help one person at a time around you change.
Might be surprised what happens.

Alleine
2009-05-30, 01:24 AM
@Canadian: The video doesn't even mention America. Its talking about a generation of people, so I fail to see why you brought up America in the first place unless you just hate America. That's fine though, plenty of countries do, and there's pretty much nothing we could do to change that by now without a catastrophic overhaul of the system, and even that probably wouldn't work.

Because it's referencing a generation, I fail to see how America automatically negates everything the rest of the world can do by having a large amount of fat people and bombs. Which interestingly enough sounds like a decent band name.

ZeroNumerous
2009-05-30, 01:41 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Umq6ac5r5uM&eurl

I agree, Lost Generation does indeed suck.

EDIT:

Which interestingly enough sounds like a decent band name.

Fat people bombs: Because the enemy can't fight back if they're too fat to move.

Faulty
2009-05-30, 01:56 AM
I liked the video, it really is quite true.

Tequila Sunrise
2009-05-30, 03:13 AM
Ah, if only I were so optimistic about divorce rates in this country. Unfortunately, I think most people really have no idea what they're getting into when they get married, or they're simply driving themselves by emotion and not by thought.
I don't think any generation has, in general, had any idea what marriage is really like. People have been falling in love [or lust] and getting told who to marry by their parents since the beginning of history. It's just that, until recently in certain first world countries, married people had a much clearer set of obligations and were under a lot more pressure from society to stay married.

Dam our yuppified existentially empowered society! :smallwink:

Boo
2009-05-30, 04:10 AM
*yawns at arguments*

Oh, hey! I saw this before! It was interesting, but I didn't find it very inspiring. Damn my cynicism!

EDIT because I have to:
Well I've got a big question for you. How does this prevent the actual making of progress, oh mighty resident of America's hat?You're just mad because we're always on top. :smallwink: bawdy bad joke

Nameless
2009-05-30, 04:31 AM
I’m not really sure what to think. I agree completely… But also completely disagree.
It's quite hard to explain. :smallconfused:

And about the fat thing: Although we are seeing a high rise the obesity, we’re also seeing (contradicting) rise in anorexia.

SDF
2009-05-30, 04:45 AM

That may be true, but

But there are no cats in America, and the streets are paved with cheese! Yes there are no cats in America, so set your mind at ease!

People have felt listless of their generation since the idea of a generation came into popular usage. The 1950's iconic Rebel Without a Cause is characteristic of that. These lost generations took us to the moon, gave us medical advancements that seemed incomprehensible just years earlier, and machines that I can use to calculate the human genome or banter on to people half-way across the planet from me. The legacy of a generation is a social mentality. The fulfillment of life is a personal one.

Ninja Chocobo
2009-05-30, 04:53 AM
Happiness comes from within.

From within wallets, banks, chequebooks...

Castaras
2009-05-30, 05:30 AM
And about the fat thing: Although we are seeing a high rise the obesity, we’re also seeing (contradicting) rise in anorexia.

It's not a rise in Obesity, it's a rise in the extremes of weight we're seeing.

Unfortunately.

And that is a very inspiring youtube...made me very happy. ^.^ Thanks.

Oh, and on a scale of one to ten on trolling, I'd give ya a Three, Canadian. You should join the Anarchy Online forums, they'll give you a few tips and tricks to improve your troll bait. :smallwink:

SilverSheriff
2009-05-30, 07:10 AM

You know what pisses me off?

this is my personal opinion, America is truly a bad place; doesn't mean they can't change; this is where I stop before I start getting into Politics.

However Canadian probably wouldn't believe that; he'd probably approve the genocide of all Americans because of their stereotype.

Kaelaroth
2009-05-30, 08:16 AM
EDIT because I have to:You're just mad because we're always on top. :smallwink: bawdy bad joke

Kaela approves of said bawdy bad joke.

Renegade Paladin
2009-05-30, 10:38 AM
Hey, Canadian: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_RPp4dbam8 :smalltongue:

GrandMasterMe
2009-05-30, 11:47 AM
Thread closing in 5....4.....3..... but until then I would just like to point out, Mr. Canadian, that since China is communist, individual ownership doesn't really exist. Everything is the governments aka Mao Ze Dong. You don't see motivation in China other than his.

dish
2009-05-30, 01:17 PM
Thread closing in 5....4.....3..... but until then I would just like to point out, Mr. Canadian, that since China is communist, individual ownership doesn't really exist. Everything is the governments aka Mao Ze Dong. You don't see motivation in China other than his.

Umm, are you serious? Really? If this was a joke, I apologise. If not a quick crash course in modern Chinese history: Mao Zedong died in 1976. Since then China has undergone major economic and political reforms. I'd love to discuss them with you, because I have a whole heap of opinons But. Politics. You know.

Incidentally, China now has its first 'generation' that identifies as such. They're called the 80s generation, and they're the first generation to have been born post-Mao and to have grown up in the new economic environment (which is, in many - but not all - practical ways, capitalist). They're currently searching for their definition, trying to figure out what they want, and where they would like to take their country (and already the 90s generation are snapping at their heels). It's interesting. And it will continue to be interesting - to see where we all end up.

GrandMasterMe
2009-05-30, 01:25 PM
Umm, are you serious?
No not serious!!!:smallbiggrin: haha my example of how just saying things doesn't make it true, and that you can't just take the facts people post on websites on face value because information can be manipulated or just downright mistold:smallwink:

Jack Squat
2009-05-31, 12:07 AM

I know I'm late, but I'd like to point out that those are not Americans. I forget where it is, but if you check the sign in the window behind, it's not in English.

Canadian: Please base your arguments on entire facts. I'm too tired (it's 1 AM here, been up since 6 AM, get to wake up and work @ 8 AM) to go through and correct more of your errors. I have time for one more, and I will just say that necessity is not the mother of invention, laziness is. Every tangible thing I can think of is a result of someone going "there's got to be an easier way to deal with this". So yes, laziness does result in progress.

Canadian
2009-05-31, 09:15 PM
It's an American video. Plus it's in english which should be a pretty big giveaway and since the voice over is in American accented english it's a good bet that the person who voiced it is American too.

Americans are the fattest and laziest people on earth. FACT!

http://www.ourcivilisation.com/diet/fastfood.htm

http://www.wisegeek.com/contest/why-america-is-the-fattest-country-in-the-world.htm

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/health/article2532694.ece

Scotland is in second place for fattest and laziest worldwide.

The young generation will accomplish nothing unless it's related to the internet, video games, junk food, or dropping dead of a massive heart attack at the age of 30. :smallsmile:

DamnedIrishman
2009-05-31, 09:21 PM
Everyone knows that obesity is a traditional sign of wealth and prosperity. Don't assume all cultures agree with western standards. Just because it's terribly unhealthy and unpleasant to look at, tsh...

[/JOKE]

Pandaren
2009-05-31, 09:24 PM
(( @^ I love your avatar. Dislike the post.))

The world is doomed because a country has a lot of fat people..

...logic....

...trolls...

...??

Canadian
2009-05-31, 09:26 PM
The world is doomed because a country has a lot of fat people..

...logic....

...trolls...

...??

Okay Fat, Lazy, Uneducated, Easily misled people who will go to war based upon a total lie sitting on the worlds second largest stockpile of nuclear weapons. :smallbiggrin:

Everyone knows that obesity is a traditional sign of wealth and prosperity. Don't assume all cultures agree with western standards. Just because it's terribly unhealthy and unpleasant to look at, tsh...

[/JOKE]

Oh Irishman! You're such a sweetie!!! :smallwink:

I know I'm late, but I'd like to point out that those are not Americans. I forget where it is, but if you check the sign in the window behind, it's not in English.

McDonalds is American and it's making them fat. Therefore America is to blame!

Pandaren
2009-05-31, 09:28 PM
Excuse Me?

How did I go to war with anybody?

DamnedIrishman
2009-05-31, 09:29 PM
Excuse Me?

A FELLOW PANDA?! Truly, this day is awesome.

Canadian
2009-05-31, 09:29 PM
Excuse Me?

Just wait. The draft is about to make a comeback. Remember it's not just a job it's an adventure. :smallbiggrin:

http://www.travelcollection.co.uk/holidays/far-east/pandas-tour-china/images/2pandas.jpg

Dual Panada! Yesssssssss! :smallsmile:

Lupy
2009-05-31, 09:32 PM
Hello everyone. This a friendly reminder from your resident Archbishop requesting that you not feed the trolls. Offenders may be shot, forced to join the Foreign Legion, or awarded anti-internets. Have a nice day.

Please, do not hesitate to use your "Ignore" buttons when dealing with trolls.

-----------------------

That aside, I found the video uplifting, and I do hope that your generation fixes things up so that mine doesn't have to... What? :smalltongue:

Canadian
2009-05-31, 09:33 PM
Hello everyone. This a friendly reminder from your resident Archbishop requesting that you not feed the trolls. Offenders may be shot, forced to join the Foreign Legion, or awarded infractions. Have a nice day.

-----------------------

That aside, I found the video uplifting, and I do hope that your generation fixes things up so that mine doesn't have to... What? :smalltongue:

Yeah! What he said! :smallwink:

Pandaren
2009-05-31, 09:38 PM
((Yes, awesome, especially now that I'm finally back on the playground.))

Hello everyone. This a friendly reminder from your resident Archbishop requesting that you not feed the trolls. Offenders may be shot, forced to join the Foreign Legion, or awarded infractions. Have a nice day.

-----------------------

This is a very fair reminder, I curse myself for being unable to resist things like this. I always imagine all converstations as being face-to-face, and imagine people act reasonable. Unfortuneately, anonimity makes people braver than they would normally be, and people like "Canadian" continue arguements when nobody would continue communicating in a situation like this.

DamnedIrishman
2009-05-31, 09:40 PM
This is a very fair reminder, I curse myself for being unable to resist things like this. I always imagine all converstations as being face-to-face, and imagine people act reasonable. Unfortuneately, anonimity makes people braver than they would normally be, and people like "Canadian" continue arguements when nobody would continue communicating in a situation like this.

I like Canadian. She said I was sweet. You're just jealous because I'm her favourite panda.

Recaiden
2009-05-31, 09:41 PM

Thank you so much for that reminder.

@^: It's a he.

@Lupy: I don't know what advice would apply to you, so have an internet.

Lupy
2009-05-31, 09:43 PM

I accept cookies, Internets, and good advice.

Did anyone else wonder how long it took them to get he lines to work out perfectly like that? It was masterfully done.

Haruki-kun
2009-05-31, 09:46 PM

I agree. Thank you very much.

DamnedIrishman
2009-05-31, 09:46 PM

Funnily enough, that's the third time I've guessed a gender on this forum, and I have now been wrong EVERY SINGLE TIME! Go me!

Lesson: use the gender symbol, people. Or prepare to be judged by your avatar.

Jack Squat
2009-05-31, 09:53 PM
McDonalds is American and it's making them fat. Therefore America is to blame!

McDonald's isn't making them fat. They're fat from eating McDonald's. An inanimate object cannot be blamed for human error.

While yes, McDonald's isn't good for you, and a diet consisting of a substantial amount of it will cause obesity, no one's forced to eat there (well, I suppose parents were forcing these kids to eat here, but no one's forcing the parents to choose it). People have a choice, and when they choose poorly, it shows. And people choose poorly all the time, regardless of intelligence level or nationality.

DamnedIrishman
2009-05-31, 09:58 PM
Besides, given the amount of control that they can realistically exert over each other, it's fairer to call America McDonaldian than it is to call McDonald's American.
On the subject, Exxon Mobil beats national governments hands down.

Pandaren
2009-05-31, 10:00 PM
I accept cookies, Internets, and good advice.

Did anyone else wonder how long it took them to get he lines to work out perfectly like that? It was masterfully done.

Lines?

I agree with Jack, it's called self control, people need to exercise it better.

((...and I must retire for the night.))

Zeb The Troll
2009-06-01, 02:32 AM
Fat does not equal lazy. Being overweight is a symptom of a lack of physical activity combined with a poor diet. It is entirely possible to be very successful and hard working without ever having to leave a chair. In this technology age, it is increasingly difficult to be successful or even financially stable doing a job that requires manual labor over intellect, so it's an easy choice to take a high paying desk job over a low paying labor job if you're smart enough to get it.

Furthermore, the poor diet is factored by both time and money. Unhealthy foods are eaiser to acquire and consume in today's fast paced workplace where busy people are often required to spend much more than 40 hours a week at work earning the income they do have, making taking the time to actually prepare a healthy meal harder to come by. Healthy prepackaged food also happens to be much more expensive than unhealthy food, especially for those families that have to work two and three jobs to be able to pay the rent on their studio apartment. Compare corn for 89c an ear to Hostess Cupcakes at $4 for an 8 pack. Or soda for $1 a can when a smaller bottle of juice or water is $1.50. So now, for a person on a budget it's cheaper to have a soda and a cupcake for lunch than juice and a fruit cup. It's no wonder that people choose, and then crave, unhealthy choices.

Trog
2009-06-01, 07:18 AM
Dang fast food. :smallannoyed:

It's the easy way out and far too seductive sometimes. For me, I tend to hit the drive thru when I am low on groceries at home. Which really sucks and is a bad habit because fast food is a lot more spendy than more tasty alternatives, in my experience.

For example, for me and my two boys I can buy a nice thick package of tenderloin steaks and a big bag of potatoes for less. Poke holes in the potatoes, and brush then with olive oil and stick 'em in the hot oven for an hour. Fry up the steaks which takes about 15 minutes or so. So all told not a lot of effort.... as long as I have the food on hand.

I've been trying to tell myself "There's a steak dinner down the drain" whenever I go through there to discourage myself. And there's probably other things better to eat than a big portion of red meat but tenderloins are my favorite and the meal is easy to make so just my motivation I guess.

That said I went through the drive thru last night. Grocery list in hand for this morning. :smallsigh:

Skippy
2009-06-01, 09:36 AM
So, I just wanted to comment on the original post made by Haruki-Kun, instead of joining a pointless attempt to try and correct a troll. This video is amazing, inspiring, and it should be sort of like a creed for today's youth, to which some (if not most) of us are part of. We must reverse, not only the things we say, but in fact the tendencies that are taking over the world. It is a hard task, and maybe all of the people around us will tell us that one person can't make a difference. Sadly, as a student of Physics and amateur sociologist, I can tell you this: Chaos Theory is real. One person doing a small change can in turn move the people around him/her, and, like ripples in a pond, change the whole world. I don't want to turn this into a politics debate (Since it is really easy to do it by naming certain people who did a change, for better or worse), but I just want everybody to think about it. Is it really so hard to do a small change in our lives, for the sake of our own future?

Also, can you please stop feeding the trolls?

Nameless
2009-06-01, 10:03 AM
...that since China is communist...

Actually, technically speaking China isn't a communist country, It's something slightly different but very similar to communism I can't remember the name of it though...
*Goes back into lurker mode*

KnightDisciple
2009-06-01, 10:05 AM
Actually, technically speaking China isn't a communist country, It's something else I can't remember the name of it though...

Guys-in-charge-run-and-own-everything?

DamnedIrishman
2009-06-01, 10:05 AM
Actually, technically speaking China isn't a communist country, It's something else I can't remember the name of it though...

Generally it's referred to as capi-communist.

Basically: one-party rule, oppression, largely capitalist economics in the financial and manufacturing centres, state control of everything else.

Zeb The Troll
2009-06-01, 10:26 AM
Actually, technically speaking China isn't a communist country, It's something slightly different but very similar to communism I can't remember the name of it though...
*Goes back into lurker mode*The word you're looking for is Socialist.

Canadian
2009-06-01, 10:36 AM
The word you're looking for is Socialist.

No Canada is socialist. That's why we have free healthcare.

I like Canadian. She said I was sweet. You're just jealous because I'm her favourite panda.

I'm a guy. But I'll tuck it back for you anytime! :smallwink:

McDonald's isn't making them fat.

no one's forced to eat there People have a choice, and when they choose poorly, it shows. And people choose poorly all the time, regardless of intelligence level or nationality.

So an entire nation is making poor choices all the time. Sounds like only a nation of idiots would make poor choices, see the negative consequences, and continue to make poor choices.

Fat does not equal lazy. Being overweight is a symptom of a lack of physical activity combined with a poor diet. It is entirely possible to be very successful and hard working without ever having to leave a chair.

What? Like the Baron Harkonnen?

http://www.theangrypuppy.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/harkonnen1-225x300.jpg

China is still communist! You will be subjugated by the People's Panda Army!!!

Fat lazy American capitalist running dogs!

http://www.centurychina.com/plaboard/uploads/1_xuexiongmao.jpg

DamnedIrishman
2009-06-01, 10:38 AM
No Canada is socialist. That's why we have free healthcare.

China is still communist! You will be subjugated by the People's Panda Army!!!

Fat lazy American capitalist running dogs!

http://www.centurychina.com/plaboard/uploads/1_xuexiongmao.jpg

More CommunISH.

But yes, a panda can take on an American soldier. Very healthy stuff, bamboo.

Canadian
2009-06-01, 10:51 AM
More CommunISH.

But yes, a panda can take on an American soldier. Very healthy stuff, bamboo.

No question! A healthy bamboo fed panda with an AK-47 could easily overpower a fat, lazy, fast food eating, American. They'll all be sitting in their chairs huffing and puffing texting for help when the Pandas come!!!!

PANDA RAINBOW ATTACK!!!

See lazy Americans your generation will only crumble at the might of the Panda Army!!!!

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b158/onepinsue/panda-attack.jpg

DamnedIrishman
2009-06-01, 10:53 AM
PANDA RAINBOW ATTACK!!!

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b158/onepinsue/panda-attack.jpg

YES.

Nothing else needs to be said.

Kaelaroth
2009-06-01, 10:54 AM
Finally, I have time to (remember to) make a comment on the video that was shared here.
It was creatively made, and I'm pleased that you showed it to me, and to the rest of the Playground - and its message is heart-warming. Thanks, 'Ruki. :smallsmile:

Lost Demiurge
2009-06-01, 12:57 PM

So what do you have against fat people? I'm pretty sure that a good chunk of the American founding fathers were overweight. They managed to seriously change the world in a good way, I think.

But hey, what do I know? I'm just a fat, lazy, quick-to-war American who will ultimately change nothing because it's easier to go with the flow.

As opposed to a whiny, passive-aggressive, quick-to-criticize Canadian who will ultimately change nothing because it's easier to blame the Americans.

Wow, stereotypes are fun, aren't they?

:D

DamnedIrishman
2009-06-01, 12:59 PM
Wow, stereotypes are fun, aren't they?

:D

And I'm drunk and argumentative!

Lost Demiurge
2009-06-01, 01:04 PM
And I'm drunk and argumentative!

Rock! Let's get hammered and go yell at Frenchmen! You bring the Guiness, I'll bring the Wild Turkey!

DamnedIrishman
2009-06-01, 01:06 PM
Rock! Let's get hammered and go yell at Frenchmen! You bring the Guiness, I'll bring the Wild Turkey!

Naaah... got any Bulleit?

PhoeKun
2009-06-01, 01:14 PM
I'd add something to this thread, but I'm too busy eating burgers and dropping bombs on people. It's a lot of work, I wish I wasn't so lazy. :smallfrown:

DamnedIrishman
2009-06-01, 01:16 PM
Add a good bourbon to it then.

Lost Demiurge
2009-06-01, 01:20 PM
Add a good bourbon to it then.

Kentucky Bourbon it is!

DamnedIrishman
2009-06-01, 01:22 PM
It's not as good as irish single malt, but it's better than most some scotch.

Calmness
2009-06-01, 01:51 PM
The topic sure got derailed fast. Video was nice, though.

Mc. Lovin'
2009-06-01, 04:21 PM
Wow, that is, so clever. Wow.

Canadian
2009-06-01, 04:25 PM
Ah... My work here is done. :smallbiggrin:

http://www.gobuywine.com/onlinestore/images/Auchentoshan_Select.jpg

Here's my selection! Cheers everyone! :smallwink:

DamnedIrishman
2009-06-01, 04:27 PM
Ah... My work here is done. :smallbiggrin:

http://www.gobuywine.com/onlinestore/images/Auchentoshan_Select.jpg

Here's my selection! Cheers everyone! :smallwink:

I'll take all of them:

http://www.whisky-pages.com/images/bushmills.jpg

raitalin
2009-06-01, 04:45 PM
Notice its not Canadian whiskey, that stuff is crap.

Nameless
2009-06-01, 04:54 PM
How did you guys manage to go so off-topic within 4 pages? :smallconfused:

Canadian
Notice its not Canadian whiskey, that stuff is crap.

Scotch whiskey only comes from Scotland much as French Champagne only comes from the Champagne region of France.

Types of whiskey:

http://cocktails.about.com/od/spirits/p/whisky_wisdom.htm

Still Canadian whiskey is much better than American whiskey. Just ask Al Capone. This bottle was his favorite and yes it is Canadian!

http://www.drinkhacker.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/10/canadian-club-classic.jpg

DamnedIrishman
All this talk of whiskey may be why we're the lost generation...
:smallbiggrin:

Scotch whiskey only comes from Scotland much as French Champagne only comes from the Champagne region of France.

Types of whiskey:

http://cocktails.about.com/od/spirits/p/whisky_wisdom.htm

Still Canadian whiskey is much better than American whiskey. Just ask Al Capone. This bottle was his favorite and yes it is Canadian!

http://www.drinkhacker.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/10/canadian-club-classic.jpg

That's a load of rubbish. Scotch may have turned into a bit of a slang phrase over the Atlantic, but whiskey connosieurs know that Scotch refers only to Scottish single malt whiskies and blends.
Don't boast on the back of Canadian Club. It's okay. Bulleit bourbon is better, knob creek about matches. It's way better than tennessee sour mash though.
Irish malt is the finest of whiskies. That said, the Japanese produce suprisingly good whiskies too.

Lost Demiurge
2009-06-01, 04:55 PM

::Points at Canadian::

Nameless
2009-06-01, 04:56 PM
All this talk of whiskey may be why we're the lost generation...
:smallbiggrin:

We're lost? YAY WE'RE ON AN ADVENTURE! *glee*

Canadian
2009-06-01, 04:56 PM

Instead of worrying about going off topic why not join us for a drink?

*Pull up a chair at the bar*

The Irishman is pouring! :smallwink:

Nameless
2009-06-01, 04:58 PM

Now now, it takes more then one person to go off topic...
Leave him/her alone!
*hugs Canadian*

The Irishman is pouring!

You mean after 17 long sober years I'll finally be able to get drunk? :smalleek:
YAY! :smallbiggrin:

DamnedIrishman
2009-06-01, 04:59 PM
Once we've washed down that last of the good stuff, we'll move onto the brandies and then the cognac.

Shadowcaller
2009-06-01, 04:59 PM

The Irishman is pouring! :smallwink:

A part of me wonders where exactly the mods are...

DamnedIrishman
2009-06-01, 05:00 PM

Hey! I deserve at least some of the credit.

Canadian
2009-06-01, 05:10 PM
Hey! I deserve at least some of the credit.

Oh yes indeed! Let's give credit where credit is due. I'd like to skip the brandy and go straight to the cognac. I think Remy Martain is a good old standby.

http://www.discovertravelandtours.com/v3/3/Remy%20Martin.jpg

A double for Nameless. :smallwink:

A part of me wonders where exactly the mods are...

We'll they are not at the bar with us. I bet you'd like a Mojito!!!

http://theleatherdistrictgourmet.files.wordpress.com/2008/03/mojito.jpg

Enjoy. It's on me. :smallwink:

Nameless
2009-06-01, 05:14 PM
I bring forth cuddly things! *drags in a box of stuffed dolls* :smallbiggrin:

Shadowcaller
2009-06-01, 05:16 PM
We'll they are not at the bar with us. I bet you'd like a Mojito!!!

http://theleatherdistrictgourmet.files.wordpress.com/2008/03/mojito.jpg

I doubt that, I don't drink.
But I won't derail this thread anymore then you already have, I can find my way out thank you... :smallsigh:

DamnedIrishman
2009-06-01, 05:16 PM

Bar is on you? Make mine a nebuchadnezzar of Veuve Clicquot then, thanks.

http://www.hongkonghustle.com/wp-content/photos/Qube_Club_Champagne.jpg
I'll take the young lady from Hong Kong too please, to carry it for me.

Canadian
2009-06-01, 05:21 PM
I doubt that, I don't drink.
But I won't derail this thread anymore then you already have, I can find my way out thank you... :smallsigh:

Wow. Some people just aren't worth having at the party.

Bar is on you? Make mine a nebuchadnezzar of Veuve Clicquot then, thanks.

http://www.hongkonghustle.com/wp-content/photos/Qube_Club_Champagne.jpg
I'll take the young lady from Hong Kong too please, to carry it for me.

Well I prefer Moet. That's just me. However, VC is wonderful stuff. I'll take a Hong Kong mistress as well! :smallsmile:

DamnedIrishman
2009-06-01, 05:37 PM
Well I prefer Moet. That's just me. However, VC is wonderful stuff. I'll take a Hong Kong mistress as well! :smallsmile:

I'm more Dom Perignon, but I couldn't find a picture of a nebuchadnezzar of it. Moet is the baseline to which I compare all other champagnes.

Alarra
2009-06-01, 11:51 PM
Pity, this could have been a worthwhile topic if folks had stayed on it. Since we're about 7 miles away from it now, I'll go ahead and lock this. There's a tavern over in the free form roleplaying section, if you want to sit around drinking.