PDA

View Full Version : Maximums in Exalted?

scsimodem
2009-05-29, 07:41 PM
So, I figured that Exalted, like all other WW games, has ability and attribute maximums equal to the greater of 5 or your character type's special stat, e.g. gnosis for mages, blood potency for vampires, primal urge for werewolves, or, in the case of exalted, essence. However, I've come across many things that clearly state a minimum requirement of essence 5, [ability] 6. For example, the scroll of the monk clearly states that for a sifu to teach a sidereal martial art, he must have essence 5 and martial arts 6. So, what are the maximums? If it really does require essence 6 to have martial arts 6, why bother listing an essence requirement of 5? It's actually an important distinction, as it would make the difference in whether or not a sidereal sifu had to be over 100 years old.

Tengu_temp
2009-05-29, 08:12 PM
I guess it's just White Wolf being stupid, since you can't upgrade attributes beyond your Essence rating with experience (you can with items, but I don't think if these count towards prerequesites for Charms).

Kyeudo
2009-05-29, 11:10 PM
It is possible to get Ability scores in excess of the Essence cap, mostly with Merits, but occasionally with other things, like becoming an Akuma.

Also, Essence can be temporarily or permanently lowered by some effects, but your Abilities don't go back down.

The Rose Dragon
2009-05-30, 05:04 AM
Also, some creatures, like spirits or raksha, can have Ability and Attribute scores higher than their Essence, although neither of those are capable of teaching Sidereal Martial Arts.

BobVosh
2009-05-30, 09:12 AM
1. Merits
2. Be a spirit
3. Find a spirit with the appropiate charm
4. Be a pal with an eclipse caste with said charm
5. Couple of gods in heaven can do it
6. Probably is just poor editing

The Rose Dragon
2009-05-30, 12:00 PM
So, which book has these merit things I hear so much about?

Salt_Crow
2009-05-30, 07:13 PM
So, which book has these merit things I hear so much about?

I'm not exactly up-to-date with Exalted but iirc merits and flaws were in 1e but are yet to be introduced in 2e.

The Rose Dragon
2009-05-30, 07:28 PM
Well, why do they keep coming up so often, then?

I hope Scroll of Heroes has some sort of system for merits and flaws like how Lunars have Wyld mutations.

Kyeudo
2009-05-30, 10:27 PM
Well, why do they keep coming up so often, then?

Because they are fairly compatible with Second Edition, so some people still use them. For example, Keychain of Creation is very Second Edition, but Misho's twinked out with a few flaws.

Lapak
2009-05-30, 11:55 PM
I may be mis-remembering, but it seems to me that the core book has rules for playing Elder Exalted; could these games run over the standard 5-limit? Maybe that's what those items/Charms/etc. are designed for?

BobVosh
2009-05-31, 12:10 AM
Merits + Flaws are in 1ed Players Guide.

M/F are so WW that it feels werid playing without them, so most people do.

Also sidereal martials arts CAN be taught to nonsidereals, such as alchemicals. While I'm not positive on 2ed (only read 1ed stuff) they have charms that permenatly raise stats.

Elder exalted have >5 essence which is what allows them to have >5 ranks.

Most items/charms/etc won't allow you to qualify for charm prereqs. Things like the basic excellencies would be broken then. Double you skills basically for prereqs.

Mystery Meep
2009-05-31, 02:36 AM
The maximums are as you assumed, barring special circumstances--which do happen.

The main reason to have (Essence 5, MA 6), however, is to reflect the nature of the Charm. This is given in the base book, actually--the Essence requirement of the Charm corresponds to the level of power it's supposed to have, and is an important reference even aside from requirements. Check through the sidebars in the beginning of the Charms chapter in the corebook; it should make more sense.