PDA

View Full Version : paper golem. feedback?

reorith
2006-04-20, 07:07 AM
paper golem
size/type:large construct
hit dice:7d10
initiative:-1
speed:30 ft (6 squares)
ba/grap: +8/+16
ac:18 (-1 size, - 1dex +10 natural) touch 8, ff 18
attack: slam +14 melee (2d10+7 plus 1d6 con 1 con)
full attack: 2 slams +14 melee (2d10+7 plus 1d6 1 con)
special qualities
construct traits, dr 10/bludgeoning slashing or piercing, immunity to magic, low-light vision, vulnerability to fire, berserk
abilities:
str 25, dex 9, con -, int -, wis 11, cha 1

saves: f +3/r +2/w +2
cr:8

treasure
2d6 random arcane spells

combat

berserk because elemental spirit blah blah blah 1% cumulative

a successful slams deals 2 con damage because its essentially a huge paper cut.

immunity to magic because its cliche

a paper golem can lie in wait as a mundane pile of paper and assemble itself into its true form as a standard action

a warp wood spell deals 2d6 damage to it
an iron wood spell heals one point of damage per caster level
a repel wood spell drives it back spell drives the golem back 120 feet

construction
a paper golem must be created from the torn pages of at least five wizards' spell books in addition to at least 750 pounds of mundane paper treated with special ink and staples worth 1000 gp. creating the body requires a dc 15 craft(bookbinding) check or dc 15 craft(oragami) check
http://tinypic.com/vzgcb8.jpg

geez3r
2006-04-20, 07:09 AM
it should have vunerability to fire

Yuki Akuma
2006-04-20, 07:10 AM
Why on EARTH does this thing have damage reduction?! It's made of PAPER!

And why doesn't slashing damage bypass it? It's made of PAPER!

soylentplaid
2006-04-20, 07:10 AM
It should also have 2d6 complete, random arcane spells as treasure, unless of course you damaged it at any point with fire or acid. Intriguing way to limit the characters' options...

reorith
2006-04-20, 07:16 AM
Why on EARTH does this thing have damage reduction?! It's made of PAPER!

And why doesn't slashing damage bypass it? It's made of PAPER!

i was slashing at the edge of a phone book one day while bored and noticed how a blade just sorta went between the pages

its made of magically enhanced paper

Jack Mann
2006-04-20, 07:19 AM
Yeah. Really, it should be DR /slashing and piercing. I can see bludgeoning not having as huge an effect on it, but slashing should go through it pretty easily.

Vulnerability to fire is a good idea.

Its initiative should be -1, not 0.

Golems generally have some spells that affect them in one way or another. For example, slowing them or healing them.

EDIT: Try chopping it on the cover. You'll find that it can do some damage.

Colt
2006-04-20, 07:34 AM
but still, it's hard to make a deep cut into a phone book. I guess it depends how thickly the paper is compacted...

TBPBenni
2006-04-20, 07:39 AM
Great flavor. =)

"...what's that thing on the horizon?"
"It's... It's... oh no"
"What is it? What do you see?"
"It's a GIANT PAPER CRANE!"

I would like to mention that I think 1d6 con damage is a little vicious, although it could just be me being terrified of con drain. Maybe giving it the wounding (2 con damage) trait on each attack would be a different way to do it, and also adds some flavor. Papercut, unstoppable bleeding and pain, y'know.

I concur with geez3r -- fire fixes paper problems but good. Just ask Girolamo Savonarola.

I'm going to suggest it being able to turn/destroy earth elementals, but I didn't think the "paper beats rock" pun was worth it. =)

reorith
2006-04-20, 07:41 AM
the static 2 con is good. thanks
edit: the ability sounds fitting

Corestimah
2006-04-20, 08:26 AM
You should know that there already is a paper golem in a recent issue of Dragon. It's small, CR 1, has DR/Slashing, and is vulnerable to fire. What's ROFL FUNNY about it is that, as a Golem, it STILL HAS SPELL IMMUNITY! ;D ;D ;D

F.L.
2006-04-20, 08:35 AM
Consider allowing the wizard maker of this golem to soak the entire golem in lemon juice. Because nothing hurts more than a papercut with lemon juice in it. Or just team it up with a water elemental made of lemon juice or salt water.

Aidan305
2006-04-20, 10:30 AM
You should know that there already is a paper golem in a recent issue of Dragon. It's small, CR 1, has DR/Slashing, and is vulnerable to fire. What's ROFL FUNNY about it is that, as a Golem, it STILL HAS SPELL IMMUNITY! ;D ;D ;D

The paper golem in issue 341 of dragon got around this by simply saying that any spell that deals fire damage bypasses the spell immunity and deals normal damage + the extra.

OzymandiasVolt
2006-04-20, 04:12 PM
Yeah. Really, it should be DR /slashing and piercing.

You mean "Slashing OR piercing". If it's slashing AND piercing that means the only thing that can puncture it is an attack that deals slashing AND piercing damage at the same time.

Suzaku
2006-04-20, 06:00 PM
Does casting water on the paper golem effect it?

reorith
2006-04-20, 06:03 PM
Does casting water on the paper golem effect it?

i'm not sure. maybe it would remove the damge reduction until dried. or treat it like fire dealing 1d6 damage.

El Jaspero, the Pirate King
2006-04-20, 06:41 PM
Wow...this makes me wonder if you've been watching Paper Hearts (http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-8449996406786453559) starring Tom, my former DM.

reorith
2006-04-20, 06:56 PM
rofl thanks for sharing

Corestimah
2006-04-20, 08:50 PM
The paper golem in issue 341 of dragon got around this by simply saying that any spell that deals fire damage bypasses the spell immunity and deals normal damage + the extra.

I knew that (and forgot to put it in my post :(). What I meant was that it was histerical that a CR 1 monster can be immune to nearly all spells ;D ;D ;D

Hyrael
2006-04-20, 09:06 PM
i'm not sure. maybe it would remove the damge reduction until dried. or treat it like fire dealing 1d6 damage.
have it Slowed for a few turns, or otherwise hampered in it's abilities. maybe it would loose the con damage ability

reorith
2006-04-20, 09:09 PM
have it Slowed for a few turns, or otherwise hampered in it's abilities. maybe it would loose the con damage ability

brilliant.

Jack Mann
2006-04-20, 09:20 PM
Er, yes, or piercing, I meant.

Let's try a little experiment.

Take a knife you don't mind dulling. Try cutting the phone book. On the cover, please.

Take something pointy and hard. A screwdriver might work, but the pointier the better. Make sure it's not something likely to break. Stab the cover of the phone book.

Now punch the phone book as hard as you can.

Which of these did the least damage? Which did the most?

Stacked paper acts a lot like the wood it used to be. What overcomes a treant's damage reduction?

Admiral Squish
2007-12-22, 02:53 PM
I actually saw something like this in Dragon once, but it was small, and more origami than book, though. They were more fast and springy than big and beefy, too. Often disguised themselves as artwork before springing to life and attacking. They also tended to work in groups, if memory serves.

Umarth
2007-12-23, 10:02 AM
These would be funny if they could spontaneously arise in libraries, archives, or big messes of paper.

Ramos
2007-12-23, 10:19 AM
What overcomes a treant's damage reduction?
Finger of Death! :smalltongue:

Adumbration
2007-12-23, 10:34 AM
These would be funny if they could spontaneously arise in libraries, archives, or big messes of paper.

Jeah. Maybe they could cast some spells, as well? (Froms scrolls/spellbooks melded into their bodies? Costing HP or Constitution damage?)