PDA

View Full Version : Could Roy become a paladin?

Lex315
2009-05-29, 10:43 PM
It occurs to me that Roy is Lawful Good, has decent CHA and could benefit from the class abilities, such as Smite Evil. Of course problems with this could be his lack of being "Pure" LG. Any thoughts?

PId6
2009-05-29, 10:45 PM
Could? Sure. Would? Absolutely never.

Ted The Bug
2009-05-29, 10:48 PM
He's spurned a similar offer earlier on. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0490.html)
Not the same, but pretty close.

TerrickTerran
2009-05-29, 10:49 PM
Only if he got rid of Belkar and probably V as well. I don't see it anyways...I think Rich enjoys the fact that the main character is one of the classes looked down upon by most.

Zevox
2009-05-29, 10:50 PM
Sure. But he won't. He doesn't have a Paladin's mindset. While he's definitely a person who is good, and at the end of the day more lawful than neutral/chaotic, he's just not the type to go around fighting just for those ideals. Plus, as he noted to the Deva, he doesn't care about any of the gods, either.

Zevox

Raging Gene Ray
2009-05-29, 10:53 PM
Roy has always been proud of being a single class fighter, doing the best he can with nothing more than a high BAB, a pointy metal stick, and a carefully selected combination of feats. Yes, he could qualify for paladinhood, but he doesn't need it to take a stand for good.

Lex315
2009-05-29, 10:55 PM
I forgot about his "Interview". Guess that shoots that down pretty quick, though, from a power stand point, he would have a better chance of not getting raped (as quickly) from Xykon. err... after a quick trip to SRD, I realize that energy drain has no saving throw, so he's dead either way I guess.

[TS] Shadow
2009-05-29, 11:09 PM
I don't think Roy would enjoy the limitations that come with being a paladin. While Roy is LG, he's a much looser LG, one that can get away with doing more questionable (for lack of a better word) things in the name of a good cause than a paladin would.

Berserk Monk
2009-05-29, 11:12 PM
No. First off, Belkar. Second, Roy's too smart to fall for the lead sheet trick. Third, where are they gonna find a stick to shove up his ass? Fourth, he seems dedicated to the whole fighter thing.

Secris
2009-05-30, 12:38 AM
Well, if they found such a stick, it would give the party's name of "Order of the Stick" another meaning, sort of...

Callista
2009-05-30, 12:58 AM
Heh. No. There are three kinds of LG people: Those who should become paladins, those who shouldn't, and those who are smart enough not to.

Roy's one of the third kind. His brand of Law is mostly honor, dependability, honesty, etc., and it doesn't have much to do with an external code or a desire to become a walking billboard of all that LG should be. And while it's not a requirement, he's also not all that religious; most paladins are. Roy fits into a paladin's life about as well as a penguin into a rock-climbing expedition--and he knows it.

There's more to it than just LG, though that doesn't make paladins necessarily superior or "more good". People specifically dedicated to the ideals of good do tend to drift into that sort of life; but Lawful Good comes in many flavors, and not all of them are the armor-and-warhorse sort.

Kish
2009-05-30, 01:30 AM
I forgot about his "Interview". Guess that shoots that down pretty quick, though, from a power stand point, he would have a better chance of not getting raped (as quickly) from Xykon. err... after a quick trip to SRD, I realize that energy drain has no saving throw, so he's dead either way I guess.
Roy's not enough of a power-gamer to think that way, anyway. His family has a proud heritage as warriors.

MickJay
2009-05-30, 05:53 AM
What's with all the stick comments, the only paladin in OOTS that had it implemented was Miko, and she was an exception... it wouldn't be a huge change in Roy's behaviour if he started to act like Hinjo, for example.

I do agree with everyone saying that it simply wouldn't be a choice Roy would want to make, though.

The Rose Dragon
2009-05-30, 06:01 AM
Stick in the ass is a class feature for paladins, not something specific to Miko.

When Serini mentions wanting to become a paladin, there is a joke on how they don't know if the stick will grow there or if they'll have to insert it in.

Omegonthesane
2009-05-30, 06:03 AM
What's with all the stick comments, the only paladin in OOTS that had it implemented was Miko, and she was an exception... it wouldn't be a huge change in Roy's behaviour if he started to act like Hinjo, for example.

I do agree with everyone saying that it simply wouldn't be a choice Roy would want to make, though.

Stickverse paladins literally have a stick up their ass as a class feature. Indeed, when that rogue from Order of the Scribble commented that she'd consider taking a level in Paladin, Girard asked whether they'd have to put the stick there first or whether it would grow there.

Murdim
2009-05-30, 06:08 AM
Stick in the ass is a class feature for paladins, not something specific to Miko.

When Serini mentions wanting to become a paladin, there is a joke on how they don't know if the stick will grow there or if they'll have to insert it in.Well, in the first case, it's a class feature, but in the second, it would be more of a prerequisite.

Stickverse paladins literally have a stick up their ass as a class feature. Indeed, when that rogue from Order of the Scribble commented that she'd consider taking a level in Paladin, Girard asked whether they'd have to put the stick there first or whether it would grow there.Sure, we can take seriously everything an apparently CG or CN ranger/illusionist says about paladins. That woud certainly not be a joke.

Raging Gene Ray
2009-05-30, 06:08 AM
When Serini mentions wanting to become a paladin, there is a joke on how they don't know if the stick will grow there or if they'll have to insert it in.

That's because sticks in the ass are funny! And do you know why? Because BUTTS ARE FUnNY! |)_)| <---That's a butt.

Starscream
2009-05-30, 09:28 AM
Miko claimed that the stick was an actual class feature. I don't think she developed a sense of humor for the sake of one joke and then lost it again by the next strip.

Linkavitch
2009-05-30, 09:55 AM
Yeah, Roy doesn't want a stick to be permanently lodged up his butt, so I don't think so.:smalltongue:

derfenrirwolv
2009-05-30, 09:59 AM
No.

While Roy may BE lawful good that is not the only requirement to be a paladin. You have to EMBODY Lawful good and he falls far, far short of that mark, usually on the lawful end.