PDA

View Full Version : Diamonds of Mind

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-05-06, 08:35 AM
Oomn

Large Elemental (earth, extraplanar, psionic)
Hit Dice: 27d8+324 (445 hp)
Initiative: +1
Speed: 60 ft. (12 squares)
Armor Class: 43 (+1 dex, +33 natural, -1 size), touch 10, flat-footed 42
Base Attack/Grapple: +20/+40
Attack: Slam +35 melee (4d6+24)
Full Attack: Slam +35 melee (4d6+24)
Space/Reach: 10 ft./10 ft.
Special Attacks: Catapsi, crush, heavy earth, psi-like abilities, trample 4d8+24, tremor feed
Special Qualities: Burrowing power, command of terra, damage reduction 20/-, great density, immunity to bludgeoning and sonics, immunity to fear and pain affects, naturally psionic, power resistance 35, tremorsense 1000 ft., resistance to force 20
Saves: Fort +27, Ref +10, Will +25
Abilities: Str 42, Dex 13, Con 34, Int 4, Wis 38, Cha 1
Skills: Concentration +20, Knowledge (dungeoneering) +20
Feats: Cleave, Diehard, Improved Bull Rush, Instinctive Consummator (http://realmshelps.dandello.net/cgi-bin/feats.pl?Instinctive_Consummator,CoP), Iron Will(B), Power Attack, Psionic Charge, Psionic Meditation, Sidestep Charge, Speed of Thought, Stand Still
Environment: Elemental Plane of Earth
Organization: Solitary
Challenge Rating: 23
Treasure: None
Alignment: Always neutral
Advancement: 28-36 HD (Large), 37-59 HD (Huge), 60-82 HD (Gargantuan), 83+ HD (Colossal)
Level Adjustment: -

In places of the elemental plane of earth there are great caches of deep crystal vaster than any found within the Material plane. In fantastically rare occassion these caches are exposed to intense pressure and sporadic gravity surges as massive quakes shift the locations of thousands, if not millions, of miles of earth. When this happens the crystals are compressed many fold and begin to resonate with the material pressing against them. These crystals form connections and regrow in harmony with the elemental energy that pulses through the infinite realm to form a thinking creature. An intellectual node that thinks in terms of impossible weight, of the endless shifting of untold layers, becoming one with the underlying rules that dictate the plane.

They are in essence lobes of an extended mind that spread through out the realm, adjusting and altering in a way too complex for any but the gods to comprehend. Collapsing tunnels here, triggering a tremor there, perhaps stablizing others, they go about their incomprehensible task for the benefit of the plane. In fact, one of their commonest goals is to reproduce conditions that will produce another of their kind to further their cause.

Oomns appear as enormous spheres of solid, opaline crystal that come in every color imaginable, depending on he neighboring minerals, though are most often a soft whitish hue. However, what appears as feet beneath their translucent surface are fractal facets that flicker with colorful fires of surpressed energy.

The average oomn stands some 10 feet tall, though weighs untold thousands of tons that have been compressed mightily. Oomns speak Terran by shaking the very ground around them to form words in the ancient language.

Combat
An oomn rarely acknowledges the presence of non-earth elementals, only taking notice if it is threatened or its great plan in some way disrupted. Its attack is then most often straightforward, rolling towards its opponent to crush and grind it until it can no longer inconvenience it. If this is insufficient it also uses its psi-like abilities to great affect.

Burrowing Power (Ex):
An Oomn's psi-like abilities are naturally able to pass through stone, dirt, crystal, or almost any other sort of earth, except metal, as if it did not exist.

Catapsi (Ps):
The nearer one approaches an Oomn the more difficult it is to concentrate on psionic powers. This acts as a continuous Catapsi affect out to sixty feet. DC 37 will save negates. The save DC is Wisdom-based.

Command of Terra (Su):
An oomn does not so much burrow through earth as much as the ground simply parts from some subtle command. This allows it to move through stone, dirt, crystal, or almost any other sort of earth except metal as easily as a fish swims through water. This movement leaves behind no tunnel or hole, nor does it create any ripple or other signs of its presence. A move earth spell cast on an area containing a burrowing oomn flings the elemental back 30 feet unless it fails a will save equal to the caster's spellcasting level plus appropriate ability modifier, stunning the creature for 1 round unless it succeeds on a DC 15 Fortitude save. As well, crystal weapons merely pass through an oomn and the wielder of such a weapon must make a DC 35 reflex save or have a crystal weapon become immediately absorbed into the oomn. The save DC is Constitution-based.

Crush (Ex):
An oomn may halt on the square of any opponent up to one size category smaller then itself who fails their reflex saves as it tramples. They are considered pinned and automatically taking bludgeoning damage equal to the oomn's trample damage during the next round unless the oomn moves off them. If the oomn chooses to maintain the pin, treat it as a normal grapple attack. Pinned opponents take damage from the crush each round if they don’t escape.

Great Density (Ex):
An oomn is so incredibly dense that it is immune to non-lethal damage. As well it takes only takes 1 point of damage per 10 feet when it falls, ignoring completely the first 50 feet.

Heavy Earth (Ps):
An oomn constantly generates a strange field of otherworld gravity wherever it may go out to 200 feet in all directions. This functions as the Heavy Earth power (CP p. 90) except that all those caught up are slowed for as long as they remain within range. DC 35 fortitude save negates. The save DC is Constitution-based.

Naturally Psionic: An oomn has 1 bonus power pont.

Psi-like Abilities:
At Will/Control Sound, Immovability, Metaconcert (other Oomns only), Power Leech; 3/day Dissolving Touch, Expansion, Psionic Earthquake, Psychic Crush, Ultrablast. Manifester level 30th. Save DC's are Wisdom based.

Trample (Ex):
An oomn that rolls towards you is unlikely to be stopped by any means, and as a full round action can trample anyone in any square it passes through as it charges. DC 39 reflex save halves. The save DC is Strength-based.

Tremor Feed (Ex):
An oomn feeds on vibrations and for every hit dice of sonic damage that is directed at it the save DC of its Heavy Earth ability increases by 1 for a round. Those who made the earlier Heavy Earth save before must make an additional save at the new DC. Those who still remain prone take an additional 2d6 damage per round. Additional uses of sonic energy against the oomn cause the save DC's to stack, as well as the damage dealt to those prone. It may discontinue this ability at will.

Dragonmuncher
2006-05-06, 11:03 AM
So basically what we have here is a barely sentient, but extremely aware and single-minded boulder from The Temple of Doom

I'm just picturing it rolling around, trampling people, and bouncing up and down on their corpses. I can't lie, it's making me giggle.

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-05-06, 05:01 PM
Sure, they are both large spherical objects... the two could have been seperated at birth ::)

Think of it more as nearly a miniature neutron star.

Sophistemon
2006-05-06, 07:45 PM
Tribble, I want you to stop being so damn brilliant. You're making me look bad.

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-05-06, 08:05 PM
*sniffs*

Whadya mean? Its only a laughable Indiana Jones rip-off :P

Yossarian
2006-05-06, 08:28 PM
Well, I was about to say how much I loved the whole concept of sentient crystalline earth-minds, but since you say so...

*hums the theme* Da dah da-daaaah, dah da-daaaaaah...

Gyrfalcon
2006-05-06, 08:28 PM
One that can follow you around, roll over you a few times, and then jump up and down on your mangled remains...

Oh, and blow your head off with psionic powers.

You're too good at these, Vorpal Tribble. :)

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-05-06, 11:16 PM
Well, I was about to say how much I loved the whole concept of sentient crystalline earth-minds, but since you say so...

*hums the theme* Da dah da-daaaah, da dah da-daaaaaah...
*loads his poisonous darts into his blowgun that somehow has a reach beyond a pistol*

Anyways, one of the images I had in mind was to have this thing just come whirling out from the top of a mountain and right as its about to strike the players it freezes in midair (Immovability). When they get over their fear and go to look around it, maybe even under it... WHAM!

Steward
2006-05-06, 11:24 PM
Great monster but I think Druids should be able to summon it using 'Summon Nature's Ally'.

Gyrfalcon
2006-05-07, 01:43 AM
Summon a CR 23 monster? o_O *twitch* Maybe at epic levels...

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-05-07, 08:01 AM
Great monster but I think Druids should be able to summon it using 'Summon Nature's Ally'.
Err, yeah, what Gyrfalcon said ;)

Also just added the Burrowing Power ability I'd meant from the start to add but forgotten.

Steward
2006-05-07, 10:40 AM
Summon a CR 23 monster? o_O *twitch* Maybe at epic levels...

No, at first level. But only if you're a half-orc.

Sophistemon
2006-05-07, 12:15 PM
*sniffs*

Whadya mean? Its only a laughable Indiana Jones rip-off.
That in no way detracts from its brilliance. Adds to it, maybe. But it doesn't detract.

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-05-07, 12:57 PM
That in no way detracts from its brilliance. Adds to it, maybe. But it doesn't detract.
Certainly seems to flow better than those agonizing Elemental Stewards from Complete Psionic. Thats partially what gave me the idea for this, that psionic creatures can come from anywhere, but lets at least try to allow them to make at least SOME sense.

Steward
2006-05-07, 01:52 PM
Certainly seems to flow better than those agonizing Elemental Stewards from Complete Psionic.

Hey!

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-05-07, 02:00 PM
Hey!
Wha? You explain to me what they had to with psionics.

The Demented One
2006-05-07, 04:37 PM
They, um, think elementally thoughts. Like all those Psions with their energy powers, except that the stewards don't use the exact same energy types. Because they're special. Yeah. And stuff.

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-05-07, 04:43 PM
Couldn't have put it better myself ;D

Steward
2006-05-07, 05:16 PM
Wha? You explain to me what they had to with psionics.

I have nothing to do with psionics.

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-05-07, 05:24 PM
I have nothing to do with psionics.
What was the 'Hey!' for then?

Steward
2006-05-07, 05:54 PM
What was the 'Hey!' for then?

You said that I was agonizing.

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-05-07, 05:56 PM
You said that I was agonizing.
*guffaws*

I'd somehow never really noticed your nick was Steward. Getcha now. I was refering to a Complete Psionic monstrosity ;)

Karsh
2006-05-07, 06:03 PM
Excellent monster, Vorpal.

The only flaw I see in it is that a Heirophant with Divine Reach can Touch of Idiocy the thing into a normal boulder without even really risking getting run over in the process. Killing it's another question, but hey, the boulder can no longer chase me uphill.

Steward
2006-05-07, 06:07 PM
*guffaws*

I'd somehow never really noticed your nick was Steward. Getcha now. I was refering to a Complete Psionic monstrosity ;)

Eh? Why was it called a Steward anyway? Did it manage a hotel is Psiland or something?

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-05-07, 06:16 PM
Excellent monster, Vorpal.

The only flaw I see in it is that a Heirophant with Divine Reach can Touch of Idiocy the thing into a normal boulder without even really risking getting run over in the process. Killing it's another question, but hey, the boulder can no longer chase me uphill.
Aye, possibly, it certainly has its weaknesses (Ego Whip is also deadly to it), but you'd have to have a pretty massive key ability to affect it with its will save and power resistance. And honestly, if a massive opal were coming towards you would your first thought be to feeblemind it? ;)

I do however have a bit of that problem with elementals. A giant wave is supposed to be affected by mental powers? Or feel pain? Its living water! But thats just how it is...

Eh? Why was it called a Steward anyway? Did it manage a hotel is Psiland or something?
Because they are always waiting to serve psions. Basically if you take psicrystal affinity and then a second feat called Elemental Envoy you get a happy little rock girl or windman in place of a crystal called an Elemental Steward. Now when you manifest powers that deal, say, fire damage, your chirpy fire fellow enhances it for you. Hip, hip hoorah. However, it literally says in the book that no one knows why they wish to serve psionicists, they just do.

So though psionics never ever deals with elemental energies, these elemental creatures are connected with them. Mages and druids both these guys would go perfect with. Psionicists though? Its just stupid. A psionic fireball is the molecules in the air being shaken up till they burn and then hurled forward with kinetic energy, not fire being drawn from an elemental plane >:(

Basically half of Complete Psionic is against psionic theme. Wilders who draw chaotic energy from Limbo, Illumine Souls who are soulknives that draw positive energy from, yeah, you guessed it, the positive energy plane, etc etc. Stygian powers that draw negative energy from the lower planes? GRRRRRRR...

They seem to have forgotten when making the book that the key to psionics was that it DIDN'T come from another source. Psionics is all about pulling energy from within or affecting things through sheer will and mental prowess. Ticks me off so badly...

Steward
2006-05-07, 06:53 PM
And the absolute best word they could use for that was 'Steward'?

Hey, at least it's not core.

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-05-07, 07:07 PM
And the absolute best word they could use for that was 'Steward'?
Apparently...

Hey, at least it's not core.
Nope, but how does that help matters? ;)

Steward
2006-05-07, 07:09 PM
Apparently...

Nope, but how does that help matters? ;)

At least it doesn't have get wormed up with the rest of the psionic base class.

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-05-07, 10:30 PM
At least it doesn't have get wormed up with the rest of the psionic base class.
*casts Tongues to understand that post*

The Demented One
2006-05-08, 09:51 PM
*casts Tongues to understand that post*
He's saying that Elemental Stewards, being in a splatbook, won't have as much of an association as something in the Core books, like psicrystals, would with psionics. I think.

Steward
2006-05-08, 10:04 PM
He's saying that Elemental Stewards, being in a splatbook, won't have as much of an association as something in the Core books, like psicrystals, would with psionics. I think.

Yes.