PDA

View Full Version : My random guess as to what will happen.

Ted The Bug
2009-05-29, 11:53 PM
Xykon is killed, and Redcloak goes MIA. This means that a weakened V and O-Chul are stuck alone in a hostile city with a phyl-phy-soul thingy that they need to somehow destroy. V is too much of a wreck to cast spells, so they have to sneak out, possibly with help from the MitD or the Resistance.
I'd write more, but I really need some sleep. Anyway, could be interesting, what do you think about it?

Mystic Muse
2009-05-30, 12:03 AM
possible but I think they're all going to die. it's as chandler from "friends" said in xykon's case.

"if I'm going down I'm taking everybody with me" yes I'm aware that I'm not exactly the most optimistic person in the world.

mofabulous
2009-05-30, 12:09 AM
I just want to see Roy rez'd. This story arc is taking too long :smallfrown:

Mystic Muse
2009-05-30, 12:12 AM
yeah me too.

Morgan Wick
2009-05-30, 12:15 AM
Well, the phylactery can't actually be destroyed, for one thing.

SadisticFishing
2009-05-30, 12:34 AM
Well, the phylactery can't actually be destroyed, for one thing.

... what? I'm fairly sure you're wrong.

TheBST
2009-05-30, 12:38 AM
If Xykon's going to have crafted a protective item against anything, he'll have crafte done to weaken or neutralize Smite Evil. And I don't think O-Chul has a high enough STR score to be that big a threat to Xykon.

But, seeing O-Chul up and fighting again may finally inspire the MiTD to jump in and help out- and he's definitely strong enough to at least distract Xykon long enough for V to escape, free the prisoners, inspire the revolution, all that.

I don't think O-Chul's going anywhere until either he or Xykon is dead.

Callista
2009-05-30, 12:47 AM
They really just need to drop the thing into a volcano. :P

JeptCloak
2009-05-30, 12:49 AM
Hang on, on my reading of lay on hands xykon will effectively be dead, regardless of O'Chul's low charisma... bearing in mind that O'Chul shouldn't be downed by a meteor swarm or something that means he (or V) can effortlessly clean up whatever (if anything) is left of Xykon's health after the lay on hands (which should be basically nothing).

Chameon
2009-05-30, 12:56 AM
Honestly, what I think is in O-chul's hand IS the phylactery, and he's going to try using it for smite evil. (Knows idea is stupid, thinks it would be in tone with hilarity of comic.)

Callista
2009-05-30, 01:01 AM
Hang on, on my reading of lay on hands xykon will effectively be dead, regardless of O'Chul's low charisma... bearing in mind that O'Chul shouldn't be downed by a meteor swarm or something that means he (or V) can effortlessly clean up whatever (if anything) is left of Xykon's health after the lay on hands (which should be basically nothing).Depends on if O-Chul makes his touch attack and just how many hit points Xykon has left. O-Chul is probably better off just bashing the lich with a Smite Evil, because his Lay on Hands isn't going to be all that powerful, and he's going to have to land the attack in the first place. Xykon's a spellcaster, so chances are his Touch AC isn't too much lower than his regular AC anyway.

ZeroNumerous
2009-05-30, 01:03 AM
Hang on, on my reading of lay on hands xykon will effectively be dead, regardless of O'Chul's low charisma...

Assuming a CHA mod of 1: That's 1*Paladin Level.

We know that O-Chul started out as a fighter, so it's very unlikely he'll have alot of Lay on Hands to use.

Juron Pilo
2009-05-30, 01:04 AM
Xycon isn't very hurt.

Morgan Wick
2009-05-30, 01:07 AM
... what? I'm fairly sure you're wrong.

For story purposes. Xykon and the phylactery can't both be dead this far from the end, and we've just seen V becoming the new villain completely ruled out.

But upon further reflection, I actually like this idea, because it allows O-Chul to do something with real impact without giving a duty with such long-term impact and importance as the destruction of the phylactery to a rather secondary character. I also like V and O-Chul going around in such a way as to start a new wave of shippers and either O-Chul joining the OOTS or, more likely, V joining the Resistance (and atoning for her earlier failure). I think some variant of this is my new favorite theory.

The fly in the ointment: MitD. O-Chul won't want to leave the tower without freeing him, and I bet he's smart enough to try using him to break the phylactery.

Honestly, what I think is in O-chul's hand IS the phylactery, and he's going to try using it for smite evil. (Knows idea is stupid, thinks it would be in tone with hilarity of comic.)

Try looking around Xykon's waistline.

Can I say that I would just love the irony if, after a final panel that makes it look like O-Chul has an object and is about to SMITE EVIL, he instead says something as benign and non-threatening as "Lay On Hands", and it makes Xykon completely crumple? Sure it fits rules and logic, but it would be frickin' hilarious.

JeptCloak
2009-05-30, 01:09 AM
Xycon isn't very hurt.

I realise that it has been pointed out how little you know of anything on here, but calculations were done to show that xykon should indeed be very hurt at this point, and a lay on hands from a guy with maybe 8 charisma (2 points below average) would deal 128 points of damage. That's more than half what Xykon should have started with, and he should have lost more points than that so far just off the empowered sunburst, 1 round of crushing hand, the damage (if any) from the unsuccessful disintegrate (probably zero), the backlash damage from Superb dispel, etc. It's mainly the Empowered Sunburst, but Xykon can't have that much health left... 128 pts of damage should kill him...

edit:though it has now been explained why this won't work...

triple zero
2009-05-30, 01:11 AM
I just want to see Roy rez'd. This story arc is taking too long :smallfrown:

My first reaction when V announced that he/she would take on Xykon was "ah crap, we are all set to have the OotS reunited (with a resurrected Roy) within one, maybe two strips, tops. So much for that." Of course, my second reaction was "yeah, but EPIC BATTLE!" so I guess I'm a little conflicted here.

Dr. Cthulwho
2009-05-30, 01:25 AM
The fly in the ointment: MitD. O-Chul won't want to leave the tower without freeing him, and I bet he's smart enough to try using him to break the phylactery.

I am definitly curious about the MitD near future, but I can't see O-Chul using him against Xykon like that without the MitD volunteering first.

O-Chul seemed quite to determined to let the MitD make his own way and decisions - even though his chances in the first round confrontation Redcloak/Xykon would have been vastly helped if he had got the MitD to join him then.

It would seem odd for him to now go back after his big (and moving) good bye speech and go "Well, Monster-san, that went a whole lot better then I imagined, would you mind trying to break this for me?"

Can I say that I would just love the irony if, after a final panel that makes it look like O-Chul has an object and is about to SMITE EVIL, he instead says something as benign and non-threatening as "Lay On Hands", and it makes Xykon completely crumple? Sure it fits rules and logic, but it would be frickin' hilarious.

Especially after Xykon's power speech.

Cúchulainn
2009-05-30, 01:26 AM
Xykon is defeated, Redcloak is gone, and O'Chul is already the accepted leader of the rebellion so it's mop up in Azure. I dunno how V is getting back to the fleet or vice versa.

Klose_the_Sith
2009-05-30, 01:35 AM
I realise that it has been pointed out how little you know of anything on here, but calculations were done to show that xykon should indeed be very hurt at this point, and a lay on hands from a guy with maybe 8 charisma (2 points below average) would deal 128 points of damage. That's more than half what Xykon should have started with, and he should have lost more points than that so far just off the empowered sunburst, 1 round of crushing hand, the damage (if any) from the unsuccessful disintegrate (probably zero), the backlash damage from Superb dispel, etc. It's mainly the Empowered Sunburst, but Xykon can't have that much health left... 128 pts of damage should kill him...

edit:though it has now been explained why this won't work...

Irony much? You don't even understand the power that you're vindicating. As has been stated in every other thread, go check the SRD because it's Charisma BONUS not score.

jogiff
2009-05-30, 02:19 AM
Personally, I think that they're all going to die (Xykon, O-Chul, and V) but the phylactery won't be destroyed. So when the Order does go after Xykon, he won't be fully reformed. That would make him weaker, wouldn't it? I really don't know, but it seems like it should.

Tempest Fennac
2009-05-30, 02:23 AM
Tharn's the leader of the rebellion; there's no evidence tha they even know that O-Chul is still alive, unless they have contacts in the slave pits, but even then, O-Chul wasn't in a position to lead anything.

Forbiddenwar
2009-05-30, 02:31 AM
Couple of confusions:

O-Chul has a very high Strength He was a fighter and fighters tend to have high str. Also he tore that bar out of the cage.

Also. I very much doubt that O-Chul can even use Lay On Hands. He stated that Cha is his dump stat, and you need at least 12 in order to even try. and if he has just enough, 12, he can cause somewhere between 1 and 15 damage depending on how many PALADIN levels he has.

How are you reading lay on hands?
edit:ninjad.

Forbiddenwar
2009-05-30, 02:33 AM
Irony much? You don't even understand the power that you're vindicating.

It's actually really funny. Especially since JeptCloak has reposted this comment on a couple of different threads.

David Argall
2009-05-30, 02:44 AM
O-Chul has a very high Strength He was a fighter and fighters tend to have high str. Also he tore that bar out of the cage.

Since O-Chul has an insanely high Con, none of his other stats can be much at all. He might be able to manage a 16 str, if everything else is 8. If we want anything above 10, his str is pretty much limited to 14.

Forbiddenwar
2009-05-30, 02:47 AM
Since O-Chul has an insanely high Con, none of his other stats can be much at all. He might be able to manage a 16 str, if everything else is 8. If we want anything above 10, his str is pretty much limited to 14.

Are you assuming a point buy system? Cause if he rolls for stats, he could have 3 or 4 16s, and a 10. In fact with dice he could have anything at all (although I imagine a high strength is necessary to break out of his cage.)

You know what they say about assuming? It makes an ass out of u and vases (mings) :smallwink:

Ridureyu
2009-05-30, 02:50 AM
My guess?

Marauding hunchbacks will ruin everything.

Forbiddenwar
2009-05-30, 02:53 AM

In order to break out of the cage he needs to pass a 24 DC Str check. May be 22 if it was damaged. Doesn't that mean he must have a 16-18 str? And took 20?

Of course this is D&D we are talking about, not necessarily OOTS, which follows rules of the plot first and D&D 3.5 rules second.

Linkavitch
2009-05-30, 10:02 AM

Would be a good idea (kinda) if you couldn't see that Xykon has got the phylactery hanging on his belt.

Ted The Bug
2009-05-30, 10:46 AM
My guess?

Marauding hunchbacks will ruin everything.
Must everything be blamed on Cheney?

Corwin Weber
2009-05-30, 11:15 AM
Must everything be blamed on Cheney?

Ok, I admit, I giggled.

:grin:

Morgan Wick
2009-05-30, 05:29 PM
Would be a good idea (kinda) if you couldn't see that Xykon has got the phylactery hanging on his belt.

Try looking around Xykon's waistline.

If you can't even see the ninjas AFTER they'd become visible, you deserve to be... I won't finish that sentence.

I am definitly curious about the MitD near future, but I can't see O-Chul using him against Xykon like that without the MitD volunteering first.

O-Chul seemed quite to determined to let the MitD make his own way and decisions - even though his chances in the first round confrontation Redcloak/Xykon would have been vastly helped if he had got the MitD to join him then.

It would seem odd for him to now go back after his big (and moving) good bye speech and go "Well, Monster-san, that went a whole lot better then I imagined, would you mind trying to break this for me?

"New game, Monster-San!" Honestly, have you not read any of the speculation threads since 655? This theory's all the rage.

But you do provide an out for the monster not coming out of the darkness...

Here's my idea for what MIGHT happen:
658: O-Chul finishes off Xykon.
:o-chul:: You're wrong, Xykon. REAL power lies in teamwork. That's how you beat the elf, isn't it? Where would you have been without the spells and advice of Tsukiko and the goblin? If my monster friend over there had bet on the elf beating you to a pulp, maybe even ridding the world of your dark, evil presence forever, he might have actually won something for once. And now that the elf has revived me - I'm going to finish the job he started.
659: O-Chul and V leave, without destroying the phylactery and without freeing the MitD. Perhaps V is at negative hit points and O-Chul doesn't want dead weight. Perhaps he gives the MitD the phylactery, one of the abjurations shocks him, and suddenly he's not worth carrying. Maybe MitD does come along but carries along the darkness because it turns out to be magical darkness and the rift provides enough cover to maintain it. Maybe MitD just doesn't want to leave.
660: O-Chul and V run into patrols. Here's where the importance of Tsukiko almost sleeping through the battle comes into play: O-Chul can handle them better when they're not Tsukiko and her wights. Strip ends with the Resistance showing up.
661: O-Chul and Resistance fight off patrols.
662: O-Chul and V meet most of the Resistance. O-Chul reunites with Thanh, and as the Resistance has not really been able to take advantage of unification, agrees to provide leadership assistance.
663: V asks if he can be reunited with the OOTS, or at least get a Sending out to them. V is about to provide a description of one of them when one of the clerics says, "We can just get something out to Haley, we already know who she is."
:vaarsuvius:: Good luck. I tried for months with more and more powerful spells without success.
:cleric1:: Actually, with Xykon dead the Cloister should be down now.
:cleric2:: Besides, we were in there with her, we should be able to get through anyway.
:vaarsuvius:: How do you know all this?
:cleric3:: Celia told us off-panel.
O-Chul suggests it start "From V: Trapped in Azure City. Xykon dead, phylactery not. With Resistance." That's 12 words right there, so V doesn't have much for further info. Once everything is agreed upon, one of the resistance members says "Let's find you beds, you need some sleep. Wait, elves don't sleep, do they?"
:vaarsuvius:: Actually, I think I'm going to get my first good night's trance in over six months.
664: Roy says goodbye to everyone on the Upper Plane.
665: Roy returns.
666: (Sorry, no spiffy 666 reference here.) Roy and the Order discuss what might have happened to V when Haley receives the Sending.
:haley:: What are you doing here all of a sudden?
:durkon:: I dinnae see anything, lass.
:cleric1:: From V: Trapped in Azure City. Xykon dead, phylactery not. With Resistance...
:haley:: I guess I just got a Sending. Apparently V's trapped in Azure City, holed up with the resistance, and killed Xykon but not his phylactasomething.
:roy:: Odd that he'd be able to kill Xykon but couldn't get out. Must have lost those subcontractor guys somehow, but how, and when?
That the OOTS thinks V did the deed will be important later.
667: More following the OOTS around, possibly meeting up with the Sapphire Guard.
668-~674: Continuing the 20-strip wrap-up for this book. We see where Redcloak's sanctuary is, and check in on the Linear Guild, among other things. Book could end as soon as 670.

Morgan Wick
2009-05-31, 05:38 PM
Okay, alternate order factoring in V's throat getting crushed:
The following assumes that V's death doesn't stop the fiends from ever taking his soul later.
658: As above. Fiends tell Qarr they hope O-Chul can get in a Lay On Hands after knocking off Xykon.
659: Without enough Charisma for Lay On Hands, O-Chul watches helplessly as V dies.
:ifcc:: WHAT KIND OF PALADIN ARE YOU???
Qarr suggests he plane shift in and teleport the head to the OOTS as in the fiends' original alternate plan; the fiends explain that there's a freakin' paladin there, even if he's an idiot who can't optimize to save his life. No, Director Lee is going to have to call in his marker... the last row of panels features Sabine plane shifting in, O-Chul attempting to smite evil, Sabine energy-draining him, and popping out with V's body.
660: The fiends, Qarr, and Sabine discuss the situation. Qarr decides if he's going to work for the IFCC he deserves to know exactly what their plan is. The fiends, not quite trusting Qarr with the information, say as generically as possible that Xykon is going after something the fiends can use too, and the OOTS are trying to stop Xykon, enough for us to know what they're talking about. (Note: Because the IFCC got their information from Sabine who got it from Nale who got it from Shojo, they may have some misconceptions.)
:qarr:: If Xykon is going after these things too, why didn't you just plane shift in and enlist him to keep Vaarsuvius alive until he got to the next one?
Basically, the fiends explain, V would have tried to derail Xykon at every turn and never made it to the target. Qarr still isn't convinced that returning V to the OOTS is a good idea and suggests she be remanded to Sabine's custody, where she can deliver V to the gate directly. Sabine points out that if it's not Durkon raising V to be with the OOTS, she probably won't agree to come back.
:qarr:: But we just saw them need to demolish the fourth wall to resurrect their leader! There's no way they have the diamonds to resurrect V too!
:ifcc:: Hmm. That's because the diamonds they were originally going to use got stolen...
So either Sabine or Qarr pop in at the Thieves' Guild to recover Durkon's original diamonds. (Yes, this is a double strip, why do you ask?)
661: Roy returns to the land of the living.
662: Sabine suddenly plane shifts in with V's body and a sack of diamonds, then pops out without saying a word. Elan is really REALLY suspicious of this. It's possible that when Durkon tries to rez V in 663 (if Roy returns naked I think Durkon will run inside a cave to rez V so her gender is revealed only to him and off-panel) V will refuse because his soul heard the IFCC's plans, further stoking Elan's suspicions. Durkon might even Speak with Dead, but if not:
:durkon:: V, whatever ye be scared of, we need ye to tell us what it is so we kin help ye defeat it! Now let's try this again: Resurrection!
V subsequently spills all the beans on the Soul Splice in the process of explaining the fiends' plans for him.

Mc. Lovin'
2009-05-31, 05:57 PM

It's still on X's belt.

EDIT:

If you can't even see the ninjas AFTER they'd become visible, you deserve to be... I won't finish that sentence.

Oh dear.

DraxtonSmitz
2009-05-31, 06:03 PM
All this talk of lay on hands and O man's low charisma. From the srd:

Lay on Hands (Su)

Beginning at 2nd level, a paladin with a Charisma score of 12 or higher can heal wounds (her own or those of others) by touch. Each day she can heal a total number of hit points of damage equal to her paladin level × her Charisma bonus. A paladin may choose to divide her healing among multiple recipients, and she doesn’t have to use it all at once. Using lay on hands is a standard action.

So if he has a low CHA. He can't even use LoH.

Dork Lord
2009-05-31, 07:14 PM
Not to mention, Lay On Hands heals Paladin level times Charisma modifier, not times Charisma score. I realize Draxton technically pointed this out but I wanted to make sure this point was driven home. So even if he had a 12 Charisma and could do a LoH, it'd just be his Paladin level in healing. Then again, Xykon could be down to a handful of HP. Remember that despite liches having d12s for hit dice, undead have no Constitution scores, and thus get no Con bonus to HP. I think medium undead get a flat bonus of +30 HP to help mitigate that, but it's still nothing compared to what a decent Con would have given someone of Xykon's level.

holywhippet
2009-05-31, 07:27 PM
I think if he could use lay on hands he'd have done it in the shark tank.

Xykon isn't very hurt.

I'm not so sure about that. He isn't displaying huge amount of battle damage - but the few spells V did connect with should have taken off a large chunk of his HP.

Dagren
2009-05-31, 07:36 PM
Not to mention, Lay On Hands heals Paladin level times Charisma modifier, not times Charisma score. I realize Draxton technically pointed this out but I wanted to make sure this point was driven home. So even if he had a 12 Charisma and could do a LoH, it'd just be his Paladin level in healing. Then again, Xykon could be down to a handful of HP. Remember that despite liches having d12s for hit dice, undead have no Constitution scores, and thus get no Con bonus to HP. I think medium undead get a flat bonus of +30 HP to help mitigate that, but it's still nothing compared to what a decent Con would have given someone of Xykon's level.I've never heard anything about a flat 30 hp bonus. Are you sure about that?

holywhippet
2009-05-31, 07:50 PM
I've never heard anything about a flat 30 hp bonus. Are you sure about that?

I'm pretty sure he's mistaken, the SRD has this for skeletons: http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/skeleton.htm

None of the medium undead have anywhere near 30 HP.

LightningNinja
2009-05-31, 07:57 PM
A medium construct gets 20 bonus hit points "because its body is a mass of unliving matter". I don't think there's anything comparable that would apply here.

Jaysyn
2009-05-31, 08:08 PM
If Xykon's going to have crafted a protective item against anything, he'll have crafte done to weaken or neutralize Smite Evil. And I don't think O-Chul has a high enough STR score to be that big a threat to Xykon.

There aren't any core spells that soak Divine / Positive Energy, so you are probably wrong.

Jaysyn
2009-05-31, 08:10 PM
The following assumes that V's death doesn't stop the fiends from ever taking his soul later.
658: As above. Fiends tell Qarr they hope O-Chul can get in a Lay On Hands after knocking off Xykon.
659: Without enough Charisma for Lay On Hands, O-Chul watches helplessly as V dies.
Qarr suggests he plane shift in and teleport the head to the OOTS as in the fiends' original alternate plan; the fiends explain that there's a freakin' paladin there, even if he's an idiot who can't optimize to save his life. No, Director Lee is going to have to call in his marker... the last row of panels features Sabine plane shifting in, O-Chul attempting to smite evil, Sabine energy-draining him, and popping out with V's body.
660: The fiends, Qarr, and Sabine discuss the situation. Qarr decides if he's going to work for the IFCC he deserves to know exactly what their plan is. The fiends, not quite trusting Qarr with the information, say as generically as possible that Xykon is going after something the fiends can use too, and the OOTS are trying to stop Xykon, enough for us to know what they're talking about. (Note: Because the IFCC got their information from Sabine who got it from Nale who got it from Shojo, they may have some misconceptions.)
:qarr:: If Xykon is going after these things too, why didn't you just plane shift in and enlist him to keep Vaarsuvius alive until he got to the next one?
Basically, the fiends explain, V would have tried to derail Xykon at every turn and never made it to the target. Qarr still isn't convinced that returning V to the OOTS is a good idea and suggests she be remanded to Sabine's custody, where she can deliver V to the gate directly. Sabine points out that if it's not Durkon raising V to be with the OOTS, she probably won't agree to come back.
:qarr:: But we just saw them need to demolish the fourth wall to resurrect their leader! There's no way they have the diamonds to resurrect V too!
:ifcc:: Hmm. That's because the diamonds they were originally going to use got stolen...
So either Sabine or Qarr pop in at the Thieves' Guild to recover Durkon's original diamonds. (Yes, this is a double strip, why do you ask?)
662: Sabine suddenly plane shifts in with V's body and a sack of diamonds, then pops out without saying a word. Elan is really REALLY suspicious of this. It's possible that when Durkon tries to rez V in 663 (if Roy returns naked I think Durkon will run inside a cave to rez V so her gender is revealed only to him and off-panel) V will refuse because his soul heard the IFCC's plans, further stoking Elan's suspicions. Durkon might even Speak with Dead, but if not:
:durkon:: V, whatever ye be scared of, we need ye to tell us what it is so we kin help ye defeat it! Now let's try this again: Resurrection!
V subsequently spills all the beans on the Soul Splice in the process of explaining the fiends' plans for him.

Even if O-Chul can't Lay on Hands, I'm sure his Wisdom bonus is enough to let him cast either Aid or Cure Light Wounds if he has the Paladin levels to do so.

Jaysyn
2009-05-31, 08:22 PM

Cloister blocks Plane-Shifting. Try again.

David Argall
2009-05-31, 09:06 PM
Are you assuming a point buy system? Cause if he rolls for stats, he could have 3 or 4 16s, and a 10.
He could, but the odds are really low. And the concept of a dump stat is most closely related to a point-buy system. [With some rolling systems, it makes no sense at all. With the others it assumes you do have a distinctly low roll, which you will have only sometimes.]

In order to break out of the cage he needs to pass a 24 DC Str check. May be 22 if it was damaged. Doesn't that mean he must have a 16-18 str? And took 20?
22 is all that is necessary since we are told that the bar was not properly secured. That would make a 14 str sufficient. And we can probably give O-Chul an extra bonus or two since he has had a few weeks to further weaken the bar.

Dork Lord
2009-05-31, 10:12 PM
A medium construct gets 20 bonus hit points "because its body is a mass of unliving matter". I don't think there's anything comparable that would apply here.

You're right. I was thinking of Constructs. Though it just helps to illustrate my point better. Liches have no bonus hit points from Con like a living character might. Odds are Zykon doesn't have much in the way of hp despite his level comparatively.

Zombie Nixon
2009-05-31, 10:24 PM
There aren't any core spells that soak Divine / Positive Energy, so you are probably wrong.

In SOD it's shown that Xykon has a ring that makes him immune to positive energy attacks