PDA

View Full Version : Templates and alignment

Draxonicar
2009-05-30, 10:41 AM
Could you give a "good" template to an always evil creature, or would it be not allowed, as it is hard to believe an entire species woulkd never mate with an evil, such as a fallen angel etc,

thoughts?

Paramour Pink
2009-05-30, 10:44 AM
A Sucubus Paladin exists officially on the wizard website, and it's mentioned at the back of the Monster Manual that an "Always" alignment...actually doesn't mean always. There can be ultra-rare exceptions to each race. So a template that relates to goodness is just fine.

Yuki Akuma
2009-05-30, 10:45 AM
You can give any template to any creature as long as it falls under the types of creatures allowed by the template.

Anyway, "Always Evil" means "roughly 99% of these creatures are evil".

Draxonicar
2009-05-30, 11:19 AM
so, an always evil creature could be half celestial...odd

The Rose Dragon
2009-05-30, 12:15 PM
so, an always evil creature could be half celestial...odd

Half-Celestial Half-Fiend Half-Elemental Half-Elf.

He is literally twice the man you can ever be.

DarknessLord
2009-05-30, 12:53 PM

Random facts about the DnD world, you get the same bonus as your parent for having a weird grandparent, so long as your other parent was something that also grants bonuses! ^.^

Because if that Celestial was something normal the fiend and elemental blood would weaken, but adding in a Celestial parent clearly keeps that fiend blood just as strong as ever. XD

Starscream
2009-05-30, 01:30 PM

I think you've just invented a Xanth character.

Zaq
2009-05-30, 03:08 PM
Ooh, is it template stacking time again?

Just make sure you always finish off with a few half-dragon templates, since that can be applied to anything. Up to and including plants and oozes. (Go on. Picture the conception of the half-dragon gelatinous cube, and the half-dragon shambling mound. Picture it. If that squicks you out, try reversing the genders of the parents. Perhaps that squicks you out more. Compare the two. Go on, I'll wait.)

Does anyone have a link to that salmon that someone templated until it was strong enough to swim up waterfalls?

Lorien077
2009-05-30, 08:26 PM
Just as long as you can justify it. I ended up running a very silly celestial half drow character. I'd tell you how her parents met and all but I'm sure it'd be boring.

rampaging-poet
2009-05-30, 11:18 PM
As others have already said, you can stack as many templates as you want, no matter how illogical the combinations, provided you apply them in an order that allows the creature to meet any restrictions as the templates are applied.

...half-dragon gelatinous cube...
Actually, I've done that. A Fiendish Half-Dragon Gelatinous Cube Warblade 3, to be precise. I described it as a draconic skeleton curled up a in bright red cube of jelly, which "woke up" and lashed out when the PCs approached.

EDIT: Upon re-reading your post properly, squick.

The Gilded Duke
2009-05-30, 11:26 PM
Half-Fey Tyrannosaurus Rex is one of my recent favorites, despite having an intelligence of 2 it has an impressive list of spell like abilities.

Collin152
2009-05-30, 11:29 PM
And imagine the half dragon Chimera, which was already a third dragon by nature of being a Chimera.

BobVosh
2009-05-31, 12:35 AM
Ooh, is it template stacking time again?

Just make sure you always finish off with a few half-dragon templates, since that can be applied to anything. Up to and including plants and oozes. (Go on. Picture the conception of the half-dragon gelatinous cube, and the half-dragon shambling mound. Picture it. If that squicks you out, try reversing the genders of the parents. Perhaps that squicks you out more. Compare the two. Go on, I'll wait.)

Does anyone have a link to that salmon that someone templated until it was strong enough to swim up waterfalls?

I keep hearing about it, but I never have managed to see the 100str salmon. :'(

Do shambling mounds have genders?

Also don't forget to add feral and gelatinous to EVERYTHING. Makes for a funny homebrew world. A feral, gelatinous, fiendish, half red white dragon made for a funny fight. A gooey, angry, demonic pink dragon.

Zeful
2009-05-31, 12:45 AM
Half-Fey Tyrannosaurus Rex is one of my recent favorites, despite having an intelligence of 2 it has an impressive list of spell like abilities.

And possibally the most attractive dinosaur as well.

Lord_Gareth
2009-05-31, 12:51 AM

I lulled.

@Starscream - Nah, Xanth still has fractions that go down. If you start at human with elf, you get half-elf, which then goes to one-quarter human, one-quarter elf, half elemental, which then goes to half-fiend, one-eighth human, one-eighth elf, one quarter elemental, which then goes to (let's see if I have my fractions right here) half celestial, one quarter fiend, one eighth elemental, one sixteenth human, one sixteenth elf.

As already mentioned, "Always [ALIGNMENT]" has a 5% exception rate.

Zeful
2009-05-31, 01:07 AM
As already mentioned, "Always [ALIGNMENT]" has a 5% exception rate.

It's more like a .01% exception rate, as I took "Always X X" to mean that nothing born as that creature is anything other than X X alignment, but through things like: Gate+order to fail next will save+Helm of Opposite Alignment=Non-standard alignment happen, they're pretty freakin' rare.

Lord_Gareth
2009-05-31, 01:25 AM
It's more like a .01% exception rate, as I took "Always X X" to mean that nothing born as that creature is anything other than X X alignment, but through things like: Gate+order to fail next will save+Helm of Opposite Alignment=Non-standard alignment happen, they're pretty freakin' rare.

*Sigh*

All of the following are legitimate methods to alter an "Always" alignment:

1. Helm of Opposite Alignment

2. Celestial falls (note - I have YET to meet anyone who makes a big deal out of this).

3. Fiend betters self (note - I have YET to meet anyone who does NOT make a big deal out of this. Double standard much?)

4. Sanctify the Wicked

5. Possession

6. Divine intervention.

And the 5% exception rate is straight from WotC.

TheCountAlucard
2009-05-31, 01:37 AM
Double standard much?But of course! Double standards are half of alignment in the first place!

Zeful
2009-05-31, 02:00 AM

That I did not know, and just thought that was your interpritation of the exceptions to the Always X rule.

Lord_Gareth
2009-05-31, 02:02 AM
Well, now you know, and knowing is half of convincing your DM to allow your creative character concept ^_^

Vorpal Soda
2009-05-31, 06:39 AM
Well, now you know, and knowing is half of convincing your DM to allow your creative character concept ^_^

And I'm guessing the other half is a sacrifical lamb character who has twice as many templates, acts completely contary to his/her/it's race, and has an impossible backstory, which you present to the GM first? Then you ask if you can play a drastically toned down version, which is actually the one you wanted to play.

Not sure what you should do if your DM actually does approve of Deathmurder Anarchy the Bloodthirsty. Perhaps demand extra XP for playing a character who once murdered the universe twice over?

Set
2009-05-31, 09:15 AM
3. Fiend betters self (note - I have YET to meet anyone who does NOT make a big deal out of this. Double standard much?)

It would be amusing if some Demon Lord or Archdevil known for it's deviousness (say, Graz'zt), were to found an order of Paladins under an assumed name, and point them at the cults of his enemies (Orcus, Demogorgon, etc.). Sure, they'd be just as dangerous to any cults of Graz'zt that they ran into, but the cults of Graz'zt would have the inside scoop on where they were going and what they were doing, and Graz'zt might feel that any of his cultists who get uncovered and ganked by his Paladins deserve what was coming to them for breaking The First Rule, 'Don't Get Caught.'

For an even tweakier group, perhaps worthy of Sigil, a sect of philosophers might maintain that the gods aren't just sustained by the faith of mortals, but are shaped and defined by the beliefs of their followers (perhaps even *created* by them!). A group of good-aligned mortals might choose to worship an evil god, out of a sincere belief that they can *change the god's alignment...*

Devils_Advocate
2009-05-31, 12:18 PM
Could you point to where they say this? I find myself skeptical that they would give such an inflated figure. (Official or not, 5% is clearly far too much for something that's supposed to be very rare, which exceptions to the Always alignments are. Come on, one out of every twenty? That's barely rare at all!)

daa18
2009-05-31, 07:50 PM
My personal favorite template stack is the half red dragon half red dragon red dragon.
And the best part is that it actually gets the ability bonus.