PDA

View Full Version : Not a 3rd potion

nysisobli
2009-05-30, 10:53 AM
I myself think it looks like a scroll of some sort.

Poppy Appletree
2009-05-30, 11:03 AM

It looks to me to be the exact same shape as the other two potions, only already emptied of its contents.

Logalmier
2009-05-30, 11:19 AM

Huh? Are you saying that V was using a scroll from the dead hobgoblins body? Well, putting aside the fact that it could be a scroll that looks exactly like a potion, first of all you can only cast from a scroll if the spell on the scroll is also on your spell list. It's unlikely that V suddenly learned cleric spells. Second of all, most scrolls have verbal components, which require the caster to speak in a loud clear voice. That would have given V away on the spot, since she was right behind Xykon at the time.

Mc. Lovin'
2009-05-30, 12:10 PM
Here are my theorys, both are that it is art errors.

1, it is xykons skull, giant mistakenly used that stead of whatever he wanted to put there.

2, he was going to have 1 potion in each hand, one empty in the right, then forgot to get rid of it when V emptied both at the same time.

nysisobli
2009-05-30, 12:11 PM
im quite familiar with dnd rules, lol all im saying is i think it was a scroll, i wasnt saying v was going to use it or anything like that =) so :p

Moglorosh
2009-05-30, 01:01 PM
im quite familiar with dnd rules, lol all im saying is i think it was a scroll, i wasnt saying v was going to use it or anything like that =) so :p

And all they're saying is that it very clearly isn't a scroll. :)

Kornaki
2009-05-30, 01:06 PM
If you look closely, you can see that the bottom right is identical to the necks of the other potion bottoms

DBJack
2009-05-30, 01:35 PM
To solve this, I used MSPaint.

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w276/serq_fet/Untitled.jpg

The one on the left is the object obscured by Xykon. The center object is one of the bottles in V's left hand. I took out the fluid. The one on the far right is the same bottle as the center one, rotated and with a line identical to Xykon's cloak passing through it at the same point.

The object in his right hand is an empty potion bottle

Corwin Weber
2009-05-30, 03:01 PM

The one on the left is the object obscured by Xykon. The center object is one of the bottles in V's left hand. I took out the fluid. The one on the far right is the same bottle as the center one, rotated and with a line identical to Xykon's cloak passing through it at the same point.

I'm not sure it's actually empty. It might just be the neck of the bottle.... and we can't see the bottom that has the actual potion in it. There's no fluid in the top of the bottle, but the bottle itself has a potion in it.

Spiky
2009-05-30, 03:08 PM

I don't believe you. MSPaint can't solve anything.

Steward
2009-05-30, 03:31 PM
I thought that the intent was to show that Vaarsuvius was pouring as many potions down O-Chul's throat as he can. He was probably trying to make the Paladin aspirate on it and die, allowing Vaarsuvius to gain extra experience points from the "kill" and level up so that he can go for a second round with Xykon.

Snake-Aes
2009-05-30, 03:31 PM
I don't believe you. MSPaint can't solve anything.

http://fc55.deviantart.com/fs5/i/2005/123/0/8/powerdraw_by_Diamonster.jpg

JonestheSpy
2009-05-30, 03:57 PM
At first I thought it was a scroll and speculated that mabye that scrrich noise was V scratching out a Silent Explosive Runes, but it really does look like an empty botle on closer examination. Probably just an art glitch, and the scrich really is V's windpipe being crushed.

David Argall
2009-05-30, 05:10 PM
I'm voting for a 3rd potion, but I am not ruling out artistic error.

Random832
2009-05-30, 06:16 PM

MS Paint can't free-rotate; what'd you actually use?

Griever3216
2009-05-30, 06:50 PM
I thought that the intent was to show that Vaarsuvius was pouring as many potions down O-Chul's throat as he can. He was probably trying to make the Paladin aspirate on it and die, allowing Vaarsuvius to gain extra experience points from the "kill" and level up so that he can go for a second round with Xykon.

Not to mention that in the heat of the battle and when the odds were against V, all he was up for was looting a dead goblin. Clearly, he was so determined to kill Xykon there and then that he was ready to gain any XP or items that will help him accomplish his mission.

Darius1020
2009-05-30, 08:10 PM
Snake-Aes, that is awesome

and it's definitally another potion

although, on a side note, how did Xykon not notice three potions float by him? V was right next to him...

shadzar
2009-05-30, 11:42 PM
Snake-Aes, that is awesome

and it's definitally another potion

although, on a side note, how did Xykon not notice three potions float by him? V was right next to him...

Theory states the following.
Invisible persons can pick up things and remain invisible. When placing them under clothing the items picked up will also become invisible.

V, therefore, stuffed the items under the robe somehow while passing X, until needed to uncork them and pour them down O'Chul's gullet.

Prock
2009-05-31, 12:40 AM

YOU ARE THE MSPAINT GOD!!!!!
ALL BOW DOWN TO THE MSPAINT GOD!!!!
Anyways, awesome geekery of mspaint :)

DBJack
2009-05-31, 01:38 AM
Ok, ok, I used photoshop to rotate it, but MSPaint's tools are faster to color and copy and alter simple things.

But it's not a scroll. There are some scrolls in, say, V's battle with the Titanium elemtentals on Number 424, Page 2 panel 1 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0424.html) and they look nothing like this object. Also, it's so inverted that it's unlikely there is some potion in it. It's been used. It could just be artistic error, but it looks way too similar to a potion bottle. Maybe on the next update we'll see three empty potion bottles behind O-Chul

warrl
2009-05-31, 01:49 AM
Maybe on the next update we'll see three empty potion bottles behind O-Chul

Leaving physical evidence behind, and risking the noise of setting hard bottles down on a hard surface, would be rather sloppy of a character with experience in being invisible.

The empty bottles are in V's pockets.

Nevadie
2009-05-31, 07:01 AM
My guess is the bottles simply vanished after the contents were used. How many games have you played that you have an empty bottle in your inventory after you drink a potion, or look on the ground and see one on the ground. :P

derfenrirwolv
2009-05-31, 07:45 AM

Damn. The V haters will climb ANY epileptic tree at this point :smalltongue:

Kish
2009-05-31, 11:33 PM
My guess is the bottles simply vanished after the contents were used. How many games have you played that you have an empty bottle in your inventory after you drink a potion, or look on the ground and see one on the ground. :P
You mean computer games? 'Cause evaporating potion bottles are no part of D&D that I ever heard of.

DBJack
2009-06-01, 12:13 AM
Well, when Belkar consumes Miko's potion of Cure Critical Wounds way back in 281, panels 9/10, (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0281.html) Belkar drinks the potion off-panel and in panel 10 there is no bottle, so there might be evaporating glass. I'll have to remember this, and save up my potion bottles to pull them out suddenly some session.

Prock
2009-06-01, 12:29 AM
Ok, ok, I used photoshop to rotate it

YOU LIED!!!
:smalleek:
I feel cheated...

doodthedud
2009-06-01, 12:32 AM
Hmm, I never even noticed panel 10 before. In the left hand are two potions, in the right is at least one.

Is V left-handed? If not, it's plausible to think there could have been four potions total, and all of the fourth one is behind Xykon as well as part of the third one.

After all, time clearly passed between panels 9 and 10. Enough to not show V pull out ALL the potions and to not show V USE all the potions. After all, the one (or ones) in V's right hand are already empty. And I doubt V would have taken an empty bottle.

Kornaki
2009-06-01, 04:18 AM
Well, when Belkar consumes Miko's potion of Cure Critical Wounds way back in 281, panels 9/10, (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0281.html) Belkar drinks the potion off-panel and in panel 10 there is no bottle, so there might be evaporating glass. I'll have to remember this, and save up my potion bottles to pull them out suddenly some session.

But here

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0375.html

The potion bottles stick around

Steward
2009-06-01, 07:16 AM
Damn. The V haters will climb ANY epileptic tree at this point :smalltongue:

I like Vaarsuvius!

Random832
2009-06-01, 08:32 AM
You mean computer games? 'Cause evaporating potion bottles are no part of D&D that I ever heard of.

Are you required to track empty bottles?

TheCountAlucard
2009-06-01, 08:47 AM
Are you required to track empty bottles?

My players do. Those things come in handy. :smallamused:

Lunawarrior0
2009-06-01, 09:21 AM

If we are including video games, then Zelda: Ocarina of Time, the empty bottles were pretty important. If I am remembering correctly there were only 4. (I may be wrong, I was like 9 at the time)
But in general you are correct, the empty bottle is not that important, I could see the Giant making a joke about that in a comic, and come to think of it I really wouldn't be surprised he did so early on.