PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Neutralizing Psionics

Blackjackg
2009-05-30, 11:57 AM
Situation: 1st-level characters are chained inside a prison ship, using manacles (Escape Artist DC 30). While I want them to be able to escape, I don't want to make it easy. Their jailors are smart (but not particularly powerful), so they've put the spellcasters in a room with a permanent Silence effect.

From what I've read, it appears that psionics don't need verbal or somatic components to create, so shackling and silencing them isn't likely to help anything. What means could I use to make things tricky (but not impossible) for psionicists to escape?

The Glyphstone
2009-05-30, 12:02 PM
Null Psionics is a bit overkill - maybe a permanent Catapsi (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/catapsi.htm) on the area?

Flickerdart
2009-05-30, 12:04 PM
Psionic Restraints. DC 27 Open Lock to get out, and they limit the amount of PP the creature can use per turn (from 5 to 0, for the most powerful ones).

ghost_warlock
2009-05-30, 12:07 PM
What powers do the psionic characters know?

Out of curiosity, do they even have ranks in Escape Artist? Because it's extremely unlikely they'll even be able to remove the manacles. Even taking-20, they'd still need a +10 modifier to the skill check, which probably isn't the case at 1st level.

Lappy9000
2009-05-30, 12:11 PM
Would the jailors even know the difference between a spellcaster and a manifester? Or would they both just be lumped into the "scary sorcerer" category?

We are talking first level, here. Some low-level powers may be just what the characters need to escape. However, I highly doubt that it will make it easy for the PC's.

Blackjackg
2009-05-30, 12:12 PM
Very good ideas, thanks.

I don't know what powers they know, or even if the party will contain any psionicists. But I want to be prepared if they do.

As for the manacles: it'll be tricky, but my players are clever. I wouldn't put it past them to come up with something that'll give them a circumstance bonus. And if after a couple of (in-game) days, they haven't figured it out, there's an NPC with an 18 dex, four ranks and the Agile feat who could wriggle out and start a jailbreak.

The Glyphstone
2009-05-30, 12:18 PM
Psionic Grease. :)

ghost_warlock
2009-05-30, 12:18 PM
Of the core powers, the only ones I really see as being problematic for this would be psionic grease (+10 circumstance bonus to Escape Artist), far hand (steal the keys from an incredibly stupid guard), or energy ray (destroy the manacles).

Probably the easiest way, without resorting to permanent silence effects and the like, is just have the villains harrass the characters every couple hours so they're not rested enough to regain spells/powers. Of course, when the party actually escapes, the character's won't have any spells/powers to rely on to fight their way out, but this is really the cheapest and most realistic means intelligent adversaries will use to shut down casters/manifesters.

If you want to be incredibly cruel, you can rule that cold water sloshing around the bottom of their cells, lack of proper bedding, and a rough voyage in general has left everyone in the party fatigued. :smallamused:

Blackjackg
2009-05-30, 01:04 PM
If you want to be incredibly cruel, you can rule that cold water sloshing around the bottom of their cells, lack of proper bedding, and a rough voyage in general has left everyone in the party fatigued. :smallamused:

Oh don't worry, I plan to have them make at least a couple of fortitude saves to avoid getting scurvy and dysentery, from malnutrition and living in their own filth. Incidentally, adjunct question: Are there actual rules for real-world diseases like dysentery and scurvy, or should I just adapt some of their made-up diseases?

Thanks for the great ideas, folks. Keep 'em coming if you've got anymore.

Tyrmatt
2009-05-30, 05:38 PM
I'd suggest that scurvy cause a decrease in movement speed as it worsens, possibly even culminating in permanent dex damage if it gets really bad as it causes the blood to flow improperly, filling the extremeties and making it hard to move. It is however quite a slow disease, so unless they're in it for weeks, it ain't gonna crop up. Yes, shockingly most foods contain some level of Vitamin C. Hell, some foods nowadays use it as FLAVOUR! That and even a tiny amount is enough to start undoing the damage done.

Dysentry would cause standard constitution damage (recoverable once in a healthy situation and able to rest) and increase the DC of intellectual challenges due to constant dehydration, eventually resulting in death. Also general fatigue would be a factor, perhaps impeding the caster and manifester types.

Malnutrition would generally sap all attributes temporarily and probably lower fortitude saves against other diseases, as well as raise the DC's on all skill checks. It's just hard to focus when you're hungry and cranky!3

I imagine the D20 Modern books have details on more real world diseases as well if you've got access to them.

sonofzeal
2009-05-30, 06:17 PM
If you're worried about Psionics, I'd honestly pay more attention to Silenced Cantrips. Silent Acid Splash and Silent Mage Hand could spring them just as easily as Psionics.

Tiki Snakes
2009-05-30, 06:30 PM
Oh don't worry, I plan to have them make at least a couple of fortitude saves to avoid getting scurvy and dysentery, from malnutrition and living in their own filth. Incidentally, adjunct question: Are there actual rules for real-world diseases like dysentery and scurvy, or should I just adapt some of their made-up diseases?

Thanks for the great ideas, folks. Keep 'em coming if you've got anymore.

Wait, wait. You're going to let them go after a couple of in-game days, but they will risk Scurvy? A disease caused by a lack of vitimin c? After a few days?

That...um...seems a bit quick.

Woot Spitum
2009-05-30, 07:03 PM
You could just have the guards drug any of the caster types. Psionics can't be used by sleeping characters after all.

Camiyal Nocturn
2009-05-30, 07:11 PM
If you're worried about Psionics, I'd honestly pay more attention to Silenced Cantrips. Silent Acid Splash and Silent Mage Hand could spring them just as easily as Psionics.

Even silenced, both of those cantrips require somatic components, so being shackled could screw them up. Remember, the characters are level 1. You dont want things to be too difficult for them.

As for psionics...I have no clue. When ever I GM, I dont allow psionics because of how badly it can screw stuff up. Just like this example.

Drogorn
2009-05-30, 07:31 PM
You could just poison them with int-damaging poison. That'll keep them from doing much.

Alleine
2009-05-31, 12:28 AM
Look at the SRD, its actually trivially easy to stop low level psionicists. Or low level anyones for that matter. Just put them in a state akin to being grappled. Maybe a special kind of shackle that makes them immobile.

Grappling or Pinned

To manifest a power while grappling or pinned, you must make a Concentration check (DC 20 + the level of the power you’re manifesting) or lose the power.

Most 1st level characters will have trouble making that, and even then you couple it with other things like fatigue and having their captors come in every so often to beat them senseless(nonlethal damage) and they're pretty much going to be unable to do anything.

sonofzeal
2009-05-31, 02:22 AM
Even silenced, both of those cantrips require somatic components, so being shackled could screw them up. Remember, the characters are level 1. You dont want things to be too difficult for them.

As for psionics...I have no clue. When ever I GM, I dont allow psionics because of how badly it can screw stuff up. Just like this example.
Honestly, I think this is a "best case scenario" for the power of psionics over magic. I'd say that 95% of the time, magic can screw things up more easily than psionics can.

Good point about the somatic components. It's still possible via Sudden Still, but now we're talking about a very specific build, hardly a major concern for this guy.

I wonder how Warlocks (or DFAs) would interact with this situation....

The_Snark
2009-05-31, 02:36 AM
I wonder how Warlocks (or DFAs) would interact with this situation....

Warlock invocations do require somatic components, so they're in the same boat as spellcasters. Dragonfire adepts have the same problem... except that the breath weapon isn't an invocation.

They interact with this situation by breathing fire until their captors agree to set them free in exchange for not setting the ship alight.

Slightly more on-topic, I think drugging the psions is the way to go; they can't manifest if they're unconscious (or maybe indefinitely nauseated (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/conditionSummary.htm#nauseated) if you want to avoid completely shutting the player out). Of course, the party could try and arrange for the drugs not to be administered, so that they can use the psion's powers to escape... but that's solidly in the realm of escape plans, so that's a good thing.