PDA

View Full Version : Ego needs computer help again >:O

Ego Slayer
2009-05-30, 01:56 PM
"When will it end?!" the playground cries. :smallannoyed:

No, seriously. Google wasn't much help, btw.

The problem: Recently, whenever I've started up my computer, the theme is reset. I use the Windows Classic theme and it reverts it to the default blue, even though it still says otherwise in the Properties. It's also been reverting my screensaver to its default. What the... arrghhh~

Firefox completely reset itself (sans the bookmarks) not too long ago also, when I restarted the computer. Lots of resetting going on lately. ~.~;;;

Just usin' good 'ol WinXP. Thoughts, sledgehammers?

Castaras
2009-05-30, 01:59 PM
That's happened to me before... Have you been crashing when shutting down? That was the cause of my problems, and haven't had any resetting or corrupted files as a result of working out how to stop my computer from crashing while shutting down for a while...

Renegade Paladin
2009-05-30, 02:01 PM
That is bizarre. :smallconfused: I have no idea what would cause the display settings to revert to default, but I'll see what I can find out.

LXH
2009-05-30, 02:01 PM
"When will it end?!" the playground cries. :smallannoyed:

No, seriously. Google wasn't much help, btw.

The problem: Recently, whenever I've started up my computer, the theme is reset. I use the Windows Classic theme and it reverts it to the default blue, even though it still says otherwise in the Properties. It's also been reverting my screensaver to its default. What the... arrghhh~

Firefox completely reset itself (sans the bookmarks) not too long ago also, when I restarted the computer. Lots of resetting going on lately. ~.~;;;

Just usin' good 'ol WinXP. Thoughts, sledgehammers?
It kind of sounds like none of your preferences is being written to the profile you're logging in with. It could be corrupt. Have you tried creating another user account for yourself and testing it out?

Ichneumon
2009-05-30, 02:11 PM
I've been having the same problems on my netbook (with XP). I tried to use Windows Classics, but it would revert to the standard xp design everytime. I solved it by giving up and continued using the xp design.:smallannoyed:

SDF
2009-05-30, 02:17 PM
When you change the theme you could try "save as" and naming it something else.

Lupy
2009-05-30, 04:23 PM
Make a second account and see if it's happening for that one too.

Lucky
2009-05-30, 04:56 PM
Sounds quite dire. It could be terminal. God that was awful.

Puns aside, there's only one solution. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UnebYbLy38Y&feature=related)

MethosH
2009-05-30, 04:57 PM
The best solution here is formating your HD and installing everything again.
Belive me, you will spend more time trying to find a solution. :smalltongue:

adanedhel9
2009-05-30, 10:27 PM
I've seen this happen to my work laptop a few times. IT's explanation: Windows occasionally takes extra-long to read the profile information. If you happen to log on before your profile has been read, then Windows just gives you default everything. Usually a restart fixes the issue in the short term.

Do you log into Windows, or does it go straight from boot-up to your desktop? If the latter, try requiring a logon. (I don't remember exactly where this option is... Control Panel>Users maybe?). If you already logon, try giving the computer a minute or two after booting but before logging on.

LXH
2009-05-30, 10:28 PM
I've seen this happen to my work laptop a few times. IT's explanation: Windows occasionally takes extra-long to read the profile information. If you happen to log on before your profile has been read, then Windows just gives you default everything. Usually a restart fixes the issue in the short term.

Do you log into Windows, or does it go straight from boot-up to your desktop? If the latter, try requiring a logon. (I don't remember exactly where this option is... Control Panel>Users maybe?). If you already logon, try giving the computer a minute or two after booting but before logging on.

That's more of a roaming profile issue. From what I understand, Ego Slayer's problem is on her home computer.

Ego Slayer
2009-06-01, 03:05 PM
My account is the only one, so it was logging onto it directly. I created a second one, changed it's theme, and set it so there's the account startup screen..I logged off my own account *before* shutting down (I'd just shut down directly from my account, normally), and everything was intact upon starting up again, so I'm gonna continue shutting down like that, and see if it stays fixed.

Thanks for the suggestions, guys. :smallsmile:

Crispy Dave
2009-06-01, 06:28 PM
The best solution here is formating your HD and installing everything again.
Belive me, you will spend more time trying to find a solution. :smalltongue:

that's how I fix everything. Business Windows CD with unlimited installs ftw.

bluewind95
2009-06-01, 06:55 PM
I think that there is something else that can be done... this is Vista, right?

Did you recently install/reinstall it?

My laptop did that at first. There was a certain registry value that had to be manually set in order for that to stop happening... give me a moment. I'll look for it.