PDA

View Full Version : Help me survive [3.5 D&D]

Dixieboy
2009-05-30, 03:59 PM
My DM has decided he wants to do a one shot thing where we basically take it upon ourselves (Me and the rest of the group´) to fight wave after wave of completely ridiculous monsters.

Think template stacked flying tarasque.

Now, they will all be about CR 50, and we will be playing as level 25 characters.

So quite frankly, I'll need your help to survive. (Since my character building abilities in the crunch aspect is quite limited)

Will you help a fellow playgrounder out?

I have three 18's available, (And everything else is above 15) epic magic is not allowed.

expirement10K14
2009-05-30, 04:11 PM
Pun-Pun?

I really don't get how you could survive one 50cr encounter, let alone many. Am I just naive about epic levels?

Dark_Scary
2009-05-30, 04:11 PM
You are Epic. You should be a Druid with a dip in a PRC that gives Knowledge Religion as a class skill.

You now have lots of Epic Spells. Also, Druid Spell, Wildshape ect. See if you can be a Planar Shepard, Go Epic on Planar Shepard.

Alternatively. Be a Wizard. Move to a fast time plane of create a Genesis. Use Mitigation to make a Spell that Instantaneously Summons a Coutal under your command. Cast many times. Use those Coutals to Mitigate a spell that summons 2 Coutals. Continue until you are Instantaneously Summoning a 100 Solars with each cast with an Epic Spell that cost 0XP and has a DC 50 Spellcraft.

At this point, start making actual epic spells with instantaneous durations mitigated to 0XP.

Here's a very short list:

Give yourself an AC boost (that applies to touch AC) of +200. Also, +200 to all saves.
Give yourself +100 to your casting stat, several times. Also, Dex, why not. And Con.
Make an Epic Spell that has a Duration of 24 hours and allows you to make ranged touch attacks for 500d6 for all your standard actions.

Again, but for swift actions.

Instantaneously give yourself Double Actions as per Chronotyryn.

Dixieboy
2009-05-30, 04:18 PM
Ah, i just asked about what was allowed.

He's a bit on the douchy side, no Epic magic, everything else seems to be allowed though. :smallconfused:

Deepblue706
2009-05-30, 04:23 PM
If you can't have epic spells or other forms of ultimate power, go for hilarious.

Be a Halfling Pouncing-Barbarian/Cavalier. Ride your party wizard as a mount (they have Overland Flight). Use feats like Giantbane to leap onto enemies, and stab them a lot.

Douglas
2009-05-30, 04:44 PM
Take this party (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81794) and add 7 levels. Proceed to annihilate everything.

Dixieboy
2009-05-30, 04:44 PM
Awesome idea.

However i'm playing with power gamers, some who will squeeze every last d6 of damage out of everything, and i doubt the halfling would be useful.

Dogmantra
2009-05-30, 04:47 PM
You could try The Anti Osmium bomb (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2010735&postcount=38), though I'm not sure how sustainable that is for lots of waves.

Douglas
2009-05-30, 04:49 PM
You could try The Anti Osmium bomb (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2010735&postcount=38), though I'm not sure how sustainable that is for lots of waves.
My party is all about sustainability. All the buffs last at least 24 hours, and the party will very rarely need to actually cast a spell that isn't one of those buffs.

lsfreak
2009-05-30, 04:56 PM
Really, if you're going to cheese it like that, you might as well go for anti-neutron degenerate matter. Last I did the math, I think my estimate at .1% efficiency was that the explosion would break the earth into small enough chunks at fast enough speeds that it couldn't even reform into a planet.
EDIT: And that was only at CL20.

dspeyer
2009-05-30, 05:08 PM

He said *survive*. No one survives that.

Well, unless they're already dead. How about a ghost sorcerer? Ghost is LA +5, so that leaves 20 casting levels, and the charisma synergy (and bonus) is nice. PrC to taste. Ghosts can only be permanently destroyed by resolving their psychological issues, so simply refuse to rest until pi is exactly three.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2009-05-31, 12:35 AM
Use Astral Projection cheese, your party will be invulnerable. If your copies die, simply recast Astral Projection and resume the battle.

There are other tricks. Prior to your current level you used the spell Genesis (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/spells/genesis.htm) to create your own personal demiplane, where time goes by 14,400 times faster than on the material plane. Cast Gate to open a portal to your pocket plane and step through, now you will have one round less than 24 hours to act before anyone else gets another action. Cast spells through the Gate to destroy your opponents, rest and recover your spells, and then dismiss the Gate on the last round of that 24 hours, only to open a new Gate on the very next round and do it all again. On the material plane they'll see you step through the gate, then they'll be defeated faster than they can perceive, then the gate will close. If any of them are left, they'll get to act, and then on your next turn in the initiative another Gate will open up and you'll lay waste to them again. Repeat as often as necessary, you'll be completely invulnerable and you'll get a full day's worth of newly prepared spells and enough time to use them every single round.

BlueWizard
2009-05-31, 01:24 AM
Ugh, all this for one shot? My players had to build to 25th level.

Dixieboy
2009-05-31, 12:26 PM
@ Biffoniacus: Sadly no epic magickz.

@: dspeyer: Where do i find a playable ghost race? My memory fails me.

@ douglas: They look awesome, but how the hell did they turn into solars?

Flickerdart
2009-05-31, 12:56 PM
Chained Shapechange through some cheesefication.

Douglas
2009-05-31, 01:02 PM
As Flickerdart said, plus one of them actually is a Solar. Having the actual Solar in there isn't really necessary, though, it was just a nice bonus because the DM allowed it* and it added a nice list of at-will spell-like abilities to the party's repertoire. Replacing it with a normal cleric won't hurt too much, and if you toss Extend on top of Persistent for 48 hours duration spells, you could actually get away with a slightly smaller party while still maintaining the entire buff list. Note, btw, that a considerable portion of the non buffs part of the party's design is devoted to countering Mordenkainen's Disjunction, as the possibility of dispelling all their buffs is the party's biggest weakness by far.

* Yes, I did make this party for a real game. Said game was a dungeon crawl so incredibly dangerous that something along these lines, though possibly not quite so extreme, was actually necessary to have a chance. The first group to go into this dungeon crawl got a 1-round TPK.

Narmoth
2009-05-31, 01:06 PM
a nice melee combo:
first of all, you'll need regeneration, and maybe even quickened spell to heal yourself in combat. then:
power attack with 2 handed weapon
have both sadism and masochism cast on yourself (BoVD)
for every 10 hp in dmg to monster or yourself (guess which goes for which), you get +1 to attack, which power attack turns into +2 to dmg. And that's all attacks that round
Then use divine sacrifice, so you get 10 dmg each attack for making 5d6 dmg to enemy (remember the regeneration part, here's where it comes into play)
The dmg from divine sacrifice (and blade of blood if you also cast that) of course aids your sadism and masochism attack, or power attack dmg.
Throw in smite anything from ordained champion, for even more power attack dmg.
Now, you of course need a lot of hp, but any build taking on the tarasque really need that

You'll also need some way of hindering regeneration, don't you?
My proposed build favorizes vile dmg.

Draxonicar
2009-05-31, 01:13 PM

Well, unless they're already dead. How about a ghost sorcerer? Ghost is LA +5, so that leaves 20 casting levels, and the charisma synergy (and bonus) is nice. PrC to taste. Ghosts can only be permanently destroyed by resolving their psychological issues, so simply refuse to rest until pi is exactly three.

Then a monster will cast wish to do just that >.>

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2009-05-31, 01:14 PM
@ Biffoniacus: Sadly no epic magickz.

None of that is epic magic, it's all 9th level spells. A level 17 Wizard can do everything I suggested.

RTGoodman
2009-05-31, 01:24 PM
@: dspeyer: Where do i find a playable ghost race? My memory fails me.

It's not a race, it's a template from the good ol' Monster Manual that can be added to any of a number of other different kinds of creatures:

CREATING A GHOST

“Ghost” is an acquired template that can be added to any aberration, animal, dragon, giant, humanoid, magical beast, monstrous humanoid, or plant. The creature (referred to hereafter as the base creature) must have a Charisma score of at least 6.

A ghost uses all the base creature’s statistics and special abilities except as noted here.

Size and Type: The creature’s type changes to undead. Do not recalculate the creature’s base attack bonus, saves, or skill points. It gains the incorporeal subtype. Size is unchanged.

Hit Dice: All current and future Hit Dice become d12s.

Speed: Ghosts have a fly speed of 30 feet, unless the base creature has a higher fly speed, with perfect maneuverability.

Armor Class: Natural armor is the same as the base creature’s but applies only to ethereal encounters. When the ghost manifests (see below), its natural armor bonus is +0, but it gains a deflection bonus equal to its Charisma modifier or +1, whichever is higher.

Attack: A ghost retains all the attacks of the base creature, although those relying on physical contact do not affect creatures that are not ethereal.

Full Attack: A ghost retains all the attacks of the base creature, although those relying on physical contact do not affect creatures that are not ethereal.

Damage: Against ethereal creatures, a ghost uses the base creature’s damage values. Against nonethereal creatures, the ghost usually cannot deal physical damage at all but can use its special attacks, if any, when it manifests (see below).

Special Attacks: A ghost retains all the special attacks of the base creature, although those relying on physical contact do not affect nonethereal creatures. The ghost also gains a manifestation ability plus one to three other special attacks as described below. The save DC against a special attack is equal to 10 + 1/2 ghost’s HD + ghost’s Cha modifier unless otherwise noted.

Corrupting Gaze (Su): A ghost can blast living beings with a glance, at a range of up to 30 feet. Creatures that meet the ghost’s gaze must succeed on a Fortitude save or take 2d10 points of damage and 1d4 points of Charisma damage.

Corrupting Touch (Su): A ghost that hits a living target with its incorporeal touch attack deals 1d6 points of damage. Against ethereal opponents, it adds its Strength modifier to attack and damage rolls. Against nonethereal opponents, it adds its Dexterity modifier to attack rolls only.

Draining Touch (Su): A ghost that hits a living target with its incorporeal touch attack drains 1d4 points from any one ability score it selects. On each such successful attack, the ghost heals 5 points of damage to itself. Against ethereal opponents, it adds its Strength modifier to attack rolls only. Against nonethereal opponents, it adds its Dexterity modifier to attack rolls only.

Frightful Moan (Su): A ghost can emit a frightful moan as a standard action. All living creatures within a 30-foot spread must succeed on a Will save or become panicked for 2d4 rounds. This is a sonic necromantic mind-affecting fear effect. A creature that successfully saves against the moan cannot be affected by the same ghost’s moan for 24 hours.

Horrific Appearance (Su): Any living creature within 60 feet that views a ghost must succeed on a Fortitude save or immediately take 1d4 points of Strength damage, 1d4 points of Dexterity damage, and 1d4 points of Constitution damage. A creature that successfully saves against this effect cannot be affected by the same ghost’s horrific appearance for 24 hours.

Malevolence (Su): Once per round, an ethereal ghost can merge its body with a creature on the Material Plane. This ability is similar to a magic jar spell (caster level 10th or the ghost’s Hit Dice, whichever is higher), except that it does not require a receptacle. To use this ability, the ghost must be manifested and it must try move into the target’s space; moving into the target’s space to use the malevolence ability does not provoke attacks of opportunity. The target can resist the attack with a successful Will save (DC 15 + ghost’s Cha modifier). A creature that successfully saves is immune to that same ghost’s malevolence for 24 hours, and the ghost cannot enter the target’s space. If the save fails, the ghost vanishes into the target’s body.

Manifestation (Su): Every ghost has this ability. A ghost dwells on the Ethereal Plane and, as an ethereal creature, it cannot affect or be affected by anything in the material world. When a ghost manifests, it partly enters the Material Plane and becomes visible but incorporeal on the Material Plane. A manifested ghost can be harmed only by other incorporeal creatures, magic weapons, or spells, with a 50% chance to ignore any damage from a corporeal source. A manifested ghost can pass through solid objects at will, and its own attacks pass through armor. A manifested ghost always moves silently. A manifested ghost can strike with its touch attack or with a ghost touch weapon (see Ghostly Equipment, below). A manifested ghost remains partially on the Ethereal Plane, where is it not incorporeal. A manifested ghost can be attacked by opponents on either the Material Plane or the Ethereal Plane. The ghost’s incorporeality helps protect it from foes on the Material Plane, but not from foes on the Ethereal Plane.

When a spellcasting ghost is not manifested and is on the Ethereal Plane, its spells cannot affect targets on the Material Plane, but they work normally against ethereal targets. When a spellcasting ghost manifests, its spells continue to affect ethereal targets and can affect targets on the Material Plane normally unless the spells rely on touch. A manifested ghost’s touch spells don’t work on nonethereal targets.

A ghost has two home planes, the Material Plane and the Ethereal Plane. It is not considered extraplanar when on either of these planes.

Telekinesis (Su): A ghost can use telekinesis as a standard action (caster level 12th or equal to the ghost’s HD, whichever is higher). When a ghost uses this power, it must wait 1d4 rounds before using it again.

Special Qualities: A ghost has all the special qualities of the base creature as well as those described below.

Rejuvenation (Su): In most cases, it’s difficult to destroy a ghost through simple combat: The “destroyed” spirit will often restore itself in 2d4 days. Even the most powerful spells are usually only temporary solutions. A ghost that would otherwise be destroyed returns to its old haunts with a successful level check (1d20 + ghost’s HD) against DC 16. As a rule, the only way to get rid of a ghost for sure is to determine the reason for its existence and set right whatever prevents it from resting in peace. The exact means varies with each spirit and may require a good deal of research.

Turn Resistance (Ex): A ghost has +4 turn resistance.

Abilities: Same as the base creature, except that the ghost has no Constitution score, and its Charisma score increases by +4.

Skills: Ghosts have a +8 racial bonus on Hide, Listen, Search, and Spot checks. Otherwise same as the base creature.

Environment: Any, often as base creature.

Organization: Solitary, gang (2–4), or mob (7–12).

Challenge Rating: Same as the base creature +2.

Treasure: None.

Alignment: Any.

Level Adjustment: Same as the base creature +5.

Ghostly Equipment
When a ghost forms, all its equipment and carried items usually become ethereal along with it. In addition, the ghost retains 2d4 items that it particularly valued in life (provided they are not in another creature’s possession). The equipment works normally on the Ethereal Plane but passes harmlessly through material objects or creatures. A weapon of +1 or better magical enhancement, however, can harm material creatures when the ghost manifests, but any such attack has a 50% chance to fail unless the weapon is a ghost touch weapon (just as magic weapons can fail to harm the ghost).

The original material items remain behind, just as the ghost’s physical remains do. If another creature seizes the original, the ethereal copy fades away. This loss invariably angers the ghost, who stops at nothing to return the item to its original resting place.

Ravens_cry
2009-05-31, 01:33 PM

Well. . . why not just summon a smaller quantity? I was going to recommend spell immunity to the creation spells so you can just go up and touch the critters, but alas, they do not allow spell immunity. I was going to suggest imbue with spell ability kamikaze strikes, but alas, that spell wouldn't allow spells of this level or type. Is there a spell that allows immunity to force damage that isn't core?

Radar
2009-05-31, 02:52 PM
Well, it will be hard to compete with the Solar build, but i was thinking, that if it's an endurance session, it would be good to pick a class with at will abilities rather then casters, that will run out of spells sooner or later (unless, you will be able to use Genesis trick). It could be either a Dragonfire Adept or a Warlock. I'm not an experianced player, so i might be wrong here and can't help you with the actual build, but there is a neat guide for Warlocks here that might have just the thing:
http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=751117
I couldn't find any guide for Dragonfire Adepts tough. :smallfrown:

DragoonWraith
2009-05-31, 03:00 PM
Ghosts can only be permanently destroyed by resolving their psychological issues, so simply refuse to rest until pi is exactly three.
So it takes the machine in the Ankh Morpork Postal Office to kill him?

Winthur
2009-05-31, 04:41 PM

Oh, you gave me just the idea!

Play the Cleric with the Law domain.
Throw the book at the creatures.

Dixieboy
2009-05-31, 05:16 PM
Genesis takes too long either way (1 feet per day?)

But anyway, keep suggestions coming.

Olo Demonsbane
2009-05-31, 05:34 PM
1 foot per day is irrelevant if you cast it 5 days earlier. You dont have to be able to do anything there but stand and cast.

erikun
2009-05-31, 07:12 PM
Psionics.

Psion (Telepath), Ardent, Psychic Warrior, Lurk. Use Psychic Chirurgery to transfer Psychic Chirurgery to the Ardent, then transfer Metaconcert to everyone. Use Metaconcert/Psychic Chirurgery to transfer all the powers from each character to each other character. Swap out powers upon level up, then Chirurgery them back onto the character. Flavor with Erudite for taste.

<Note> Include this bit in the backstory for maximum effect. The party has been together for awhile, correct? :smallwink:

A single level of Psychic Warrior for the other three gives them proficiency in all weapons and armor, with no drawbacks. Psionics has no Arcane Spell Failure.

If you really want cheese, I believe there is a feat somewhere which allows you to learn Wizard spells (or possibly all spells) as Psion powers - thus giving everyone in your party access to literally every spell ever printed.

Enjoy.

RTGoodman
2009-05-31, 07:57 PM
If you really want cheese, I believe there is a feat somewhere which allows you to learn Wizard spells (or possibly all spells) as Psion powers - thus giving everyone in your party access to literally every spell ever printed.

It's not even a feat - it's an alternate Erudite Psion class feature from a Mind's Eye article on the WotC website. You can find it HERE (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20070629a). For all the cheesy power you gain, you lose... a bonus feat. :smallamused:

dspeyer
2009-05-31, 10:26 PM

Then a monster will cast wish to do just that >.>

Wow, not a lot of respect for fundamental constants on this board. Wish does have its limits, and I would think changing pi is well beyond them.

Of course, there are more game-breaking things that could keep you from ascending, such as not resting until all thinking beings have obtained perfect enlightenment. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avalokiteshvara) If a monster achieves that, all the surviving players and monsters will have a pleasant tea party while you go to a well-earned rest.

Sinfire Titan
2009-05-31, 11:25 PM
It's not even a feat - it's an alternate Erudite Psion class feature from a Mind's Eye article on the WotC website. You can find it HERE (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20070629a). For all the cheesy power you gain, you lose... a bonus feat. :smallamused:

Reason 1 while Spell-to-Power is overpowered.

Reasons 2-X are all much more complicated. Yes, the count ends in X, not 100.

Wings of Peace
2009-06-01, 01:11 AM
Race: Pixie

Warblade 1/Monk 6/Shou Disciple 5/Master Thrower 5/Blood Storm Blade 4/Pixie 4

Flaws: 2 (Whatever doesnt inhibit your throwing)

Feats Needed: Two-Weapon Fighting, Improved Two-Weapon Fighting, Greater Two-Weapon Fighting, Point Blank Shot, Precise Shot, Rapid Shot, Shadow Blade (Palm Throw doesnt say anything about dex bonus to damage :D), Weapon Focus (Dagger)

Helpful Items: Anything with Haste and Anything that pumps your dex

Total Attacks Per Round (As Touch Attacks): [4(BaB) + 4(Perfect Two-Weapon Fighting) + 1 (Rapid Shot) + 1(Haste) +2(Greater Flurry)] X2 (Palm Throw) = 24 Attacks Per Round

Weapons: Two Daggers preferably with vamp regen and force properties (For hitting anything incorporal).

Dex Score in a perfect World: 18(Base)+8 (Pixie)+4(Leveling)+5(Wish. It's worth it. Get your mage to cast it or pay the gold for a past npc to have done it.)+5(Manual of Quickness of Action +5)+6(Gloves of Dexterity)= 46

Damage Per Hit: 1(Reduced size dagger)+18(Dex Mod) =19

Damage Per Round (Assuming all strikes hit and they're touch attacks so they probably will): 19X24=456(Now you see why vamp regen would be good :D)

Extra Goodies: Permanent Invisibility, Flight, Small Size (Good for tripping at a distance with your daggers :D), 10 DR/Cold Iron

Conclusion: Your daggers always return so this build is self sustaining till you run out of hp (Which if you get vamp shouldn't happen :D). None of your key damaging abilities ever run out nor will your greater invisibility ever run out so you can hold the line as long as need be without fear of ammo or spell depletion.

quick_comment
2009-06-01, 01:24 AM
Since you need endurance, I would go for all ToB characters. Casters should go Ruby Knight Vindicator or Jade Phoenix Mage. You should have heward's fortifying bedrolls, and a genesis plane with ultra fast time (so you can planeshift to the genesis plane, rest and come back in a round or two)

You should have an incantrix to persist everyone's buffs.

Fastmover
2009-06-01, 06:43 AM
Not sure how I put the order or levels because I don't have my books at work with me but, try...

Monk 2/ Wiz 1 / Swash 3 / Fighter 2 / Bladesinger 10 / Anything else I don't care.

But with just that it will be hard as crap to hit you. Invisibility to start the rest of your buffs to get your AC extremely high. Then a quick True Strike and you won't have any problem hitting. Just pump up your Wis, Int and Dex and your good to go.