PDA

View Full Version : Naming the Current Arc

[TS] Shadow
2009-05-30, 04:18 PM
This story arc is almost over; there are 15 strips left, tops. Because of this, I'm tired of referring to this arc as the "current arc" when all of the other ones have names. So, first off, when were the books for each of the respective arcs announced? How long after this arc's closing will we have to wait to find out the name? And what will be the name?

Ridureyu
2009-05-30, 04:20 PM
"The Heroes Are Screwed"

Erts
2009-05-30, 04:26 PM
Well, because this is the first arc with so many different things going on, I can't imangine what it will be. Also, the group has been seperated, so its hard to get 1 name to describe all that has happened.
Another question, what will be the books cover? It will be even harder to get 1 image which you can put them all in!

derfenrirwolv
2009-05-30, 04:29 PM
The fall and Rise of a dark lord.

There and back again: Leasing your soul for a fixed term duration in the ventral planes and reclaiming it through the power you had all along.

Zarah
2009-05-30, 04:30 PM
Electric Boogaloo.

Forbiddenwar
2009-05-30, 04:32 PM
"Never seperate the party!" From WotC

Cúchulainn
2009-05-30, 04:37 PM
The Neverending Arc

SmartAlec
2009-05-30, 04:38 PM
A Tale of Two Setpieces.

Dreadon
2009-05-30, 04:43 PM
Broken Sticks

Morgan Wick
2009-05-30, 04:46 PM
I love how everyone completely ignores the body of the post and only focuses on the question implied by the title.

I think the name will probably have something to do with division and party-splitting ("Divide and Conquer")?

If I had to guess... the midpoint of this book will be AT LEAST 575, I bet. I'm tempted to say the cover might involve spliced-V, perhaps in the big showdown with Xykon. That, or a big collage of Therkla, the Thieves Guild, and spliced V taking on Xykon.

Crowbar
2009-05-30, 04:47 PM
I think 'The Soul Splice' arc will do well as a title.

Murdim
2009-05-30, 04:55 PM
"Cerebus Syndrome, terminal stage"

Moogleking
2009-05-30, 05:09 PM
I've always liked the simple "The Broken Stick" or he could go on the Elan/ Haley, Roy/Celia and Varsuuvius/Inkyrius with "Heartbreaker" which also plays on the fact that the order is broken.

Get it?

Dogmantra
2009-05-30, 05:10 PM
I have no idea about the questions regarding the book, but I'm hoping it will be called Pick Up Sticks

Morgan Wick
2009-05-30, 05:34 PM

That's mindnumbingly dull for one of Rich's titles and the Splice only comes towards the end. It works for a picture, not a title.

Porthos
2009-05-30, 05:44 PM
A Tale of Two Setpieces.

A poster thought of this one a long time ago, and it fits so well, that I'd actually be disppointed a bit if it wasn't the next book title:

A Tale of Two Parties

It works on the literary allusion level that all of Rich's books have had since Origins, and it is perfectly descriptive.

Now I just have to hope that Rich doesn't read this thread and automatically nix the idea. :smallwink:

shadzar
2009-05-30, 05:45 PM
"Ain't afterlife a Bitch?" - Roy

"My So-Called Life" - Roy

"Without a leader you have no controller." - Roy and V (in 4th edition context and story events)

"Corpse Capers" - Roy

"Quest for your life" - Roy

"The Source of Power" - V

There are a few titles with their plot reasons for them.

So much went on the real arc is split between V and getting Roy back.

Porthos
2009-05-30, 05:56 PM
I love how everyone completely ignores the body of the post and only focuses on the question implied by the title.

I think the name will probably have something to do with division and party-splitting ("Divide and Conquer")?

If I had to guess... the midpoint of this book will be AT LEAST 575, I bet. I'm tempted to say the cover might involve spliced-V, perhaps in the big showdown with Xykon. That, or a big collage of Therkla, the Thieves Guild, and spliced V taking on Xykon.

Well the problem with the rest of the questions is that there really is no rhyme or reason to when Rich announces his book titles. :smallwink: He didn't announce Start of Darkness until he sent it to the printers (well, the first time at least). On the other hand, the title for War and XPs was announced via a gaming con by a representative of APE Games well over a year before the book ever saw the light of day.

I suspect we might know the title of the next book about three or four months after the arc wraps up when Rich gets a fair idea about how he will lay out the book and a rough idea of when he might send to the printers. But who knows, maybe Rich wil take pity on us and announce it right away. :smallsmile:

As for the things that you mentioned:

V will undoubtedly be the "cover character". I was kinda 50/50 between him and Belkar, but these latest strips pretty much solidify who the centerpiece character is gonna be.

Just means that Belkar will have to wait for the next book. :smalltongue:

As for the scene on the cover, if the title follows in the idea of a split party, then I can see two scenes, seperated by a diagonal slash. You'd have some random scene of the boat party fighting ninjas on one side of the diagonal slash while you have a scene of Haley and Belkar fighitng in Azure City (in resistance garb) on the other.

And for an extra splash, maybe even have a ghostly Roy looking over the battle in each side of the slash.

Now I realize I have next to no hope for my supposition actually happening. But it'd be cool if I was even semi-close. :smallamused:

The Extinguisher
2009-05-30, 10:03 PM
A poster thought of this one a long time ago, and it fits so well, that I'd actually be disppointed a bit if it wasn't the next book title:

A Tale of Two Parties

It works on the literary allusion level that all of Rich's books have had since Origins, and it is perfectly descriptive.

Now I just have to hope that Rich doesn't read this thread and automatically nix the idea. :smallwink:

This. It's perfect.

Morthis
2009-05-30, 10:25 PM
Keep in mind that most of the book titles have been some sort of word play so far, so it's doubtful the next title will be very straightforward.

SPoD
2009-05-31, 12:48 AM
How about A Two-Party System? :wink:

Actually, I think "Tale of Two Parties" nails it. Rich loves literary allusions for titles.

I'm tempted to say the cover might involve spliced-V, perhaps in the big showdown with Xykon. That, or a big collage of Therkla, the Thieves Guild, and spliced V taking on Xykon.

The problem with all these suggestions is that they spoil the plot the moment you see them, and there ARE people who only read OOTS in book form.

As for the scene on the cover, if the title follows in the idea of a split party, then I can see two scenes, seperated by a diagonal slash. You'd have some random scene of the boat party fighting ninjas on one side of the diagonal slash while you have a scene of Haley and Belkar fighitng in Azure City (in resistance garb) on the other.

And for an extra splash, maybe even have a ghostly Roy looking over the battle in each side of the slash.

This seems just about perfect, though.

Porthos
2009-05-31, 12:53 AM
This. It's perfect.

How about A Two-Party System? :wink:

Actually, I think "Tale of Two Parties" nails it. Rich loves literary allusions for titles.

Thanks. Wish I could claim credit for it, but alas I can't. I'll just claim credit for (re-)mentioning it. :smallsmile:

BTW, the poly-sci geek in me really likes the Two-Party System idea as well. :smallbiggrin:

Souju
2009-05-31, 01:15 AM
I like "Broken Stick" myself
So many things have been broken...not just the party

rewinn
2009-05-31, 01:29 AM
Keep in mind that most of the book titles have been some sort of word play so far, so it's doubtful the next title will be very straightforward.

Since most of the volume has the framing story of Roy, the departed, peeking from above, I suggest "Ex-Roy Vision".

Or maybe "Dead Roy Watching"

Dagren
2009-05-31, 04:56 AM
I like "Broken Stick" myself
So many things have been broken...not just the partyThat was the title of one of the strips though, and I don't think Rich has reused any of those for book names before.

Crowbar
2009-05-31, 05:15 AM
That's mindnumbingly dull for one of Rich's titles and the Splice only comes towards the end. It works for a picture, not a title.

Well, I like dull. You can kill people with dull.

Also, when we say arc, what kind of time frame are we talking about? How many strips?

SmartAlec
2009-05-31, 06:24 AM
A Tale of Two Parties

Not only does it refer to the party, but this arc does have two cities in it; Azure and Greysky.

Morgan Wick
2009-05-31, 05:10 PM
The problem with all these suggestions is that they spoil the plot the moment you see them, and there ARE people who only read OOTS in book form.

The cover to No Cure could be considered a bit spoilery. Ditto War and XPs and Start of Darkness and maybe even Origin of PCs. I can buy spliced V being spoilery, but not Therkla or even the Thieves Guild. I like Porthos' idea.

Since most of the volume has the framing story of Roy, the departed, peeking from above, I suggest "Ex-Roy Vision".

Or maybe "Dead Roy Watching"

Only the Haley/Celia/Belkar half, and one stint with Durkon/V/Elan, get the Roy framing device. Doesn't work.

BTW, anyone know if Rich is still going to cons? If he is, maybe that provides a hint when we'll know the title of the current arc. Has any book other than War and XPs had its title announced earlier than orders being taken?

Berserk Monk
2009-06-01, 02:28 AM
V for Vaarsuvius

factotum
2009-06-01, 06:56 AM
V for Vaarsuvius

That would assume it was entirely about V, which it wasn't.

The Giant has tended to pick punning names for the arc titles, which make it even harder to figure out what this one might be. Maybe a pun on "united we stand, divided we fall"? Can't think of one myself, too hot!

Itamarcu
2009-06-01, 08:27 AM
I'll call it "Breaking News" but divide and conquer is also awsome
is this a spam messege?

silvadel
2009-06-01, 08:37 AM
V's Folly.

The sum of the parts is definitely less than the whole.

Imgran
2009-06-01, 09:05 AM
Winners so far IMHO

Two Party System
Ex-Roy Vision
Broken Sticks

puzpuz
2009-06-01, 11:00 AM
The Neverending Arc

I like this one :smallsmile:

fishguy
2009-06-01, 11:12 AM