PDA

View Full Version : Stacking Ability Bonus Items?

penbed400
2009-05-30, 06:52 PM
Hey, I was just wondering if there was a limit on ability bonus items. If I get a periapt of wisdom +6 and then build my own magic item for gloves of wisdom +6 do they stack to give me an ability bonus of +12? This seems kind of weird. One of my fellow players filled their entire equipments slots with "X" of Charisma +6 and got it all the way up to the 100's. Is there an official rule that says that they can't stack or something. I don't want to put him down but it just seems so excessive.

Also Ioun Stones? Is there a limit on them as well? It all just seems so broken. It's a level 20 campaign by the way.

Dogmantra
2009-05-30, 06:55 PM
Ability items that grant an enhancement bonus (which is most items) don't stack. Only bonuses of different types, or those that specifically say so, stack.

This (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/theBasics.htm#modifiers) page on the SRD details it further.

RelentlessImp
2009-05-30, 06:56 PM
Bonii of the same type don't stack. Typically, ability boosting items are "enhancement" bonii, which don't stack with themselves. From the SRD:

An enhancement bonus represents an increase in the sturdiness and/or effectiveness of armor or natural armor, or the effectiveness of a weapon, or a general bonus to an ability score. Multiple enhancement bonuses on the same object (in the case of armor and weapons), creature (in the case of natural armor), or ability score do not stack. Only the highest enhancement bonus applies. Since enhancement bonuses to armor or natural armor effectively increase the armor or natural armor's bonus to AC, they don't apply against touch attacks.

As you can see on this page (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/thebasics.htm), no bonii stack with themselves, regardless of the of the source - except Dodge bonii.

penbed400
2009-05-30, 06:56 PM
Official rule for it? Just the book I guess, would it be in one of the cores?

Dogmantra
2009-05-30, 06:57 PM
In the DMG, I believe. You can quote the SRD, it's all core.

Douglas
2009-05-30, 06:58 PM
Bonuses of the same type to the same thing don't stack (except dodge bonuses, and circumstance bonuses from different circumstances). Just about every item in existence that gives a bonus to an ability score gives an enhancement bonus. Having 50 different items that all give +6 enhancement to charisma gives you a grand total of +6 charisma.

The source of this rule has been linked a few times already, and is also in either the PHB or DMG. I think it's the DMG, but I'm not completely certain.

penbed400
2009-05-30, 07:09 PM
thanks guys, I'll be sure to let him know

Worira
2009-05-30, 11:35 PM
Bonii of the same type don't stack. Typically, ability boosting items are "enhancement" bonii, which don't stack with themselves. From the SRD:

As you can see on this page (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/thebasics.htm), no bonii stack with themselves, regardless of the of the source - except Dodge bonii.

Bonii isn't a word. You're looking for bonuses. Or, if you like pretending you know Latin grammar, boni. Bonii isn't even close.

Glimbur
2009-05-31, 12:06 AM
If you're looking to break those rules, Artificer(a base class) from the Eberron Campaign Setting has some ability to cheat at that. Not sure of the mechanics though.

Gorbash
2009-05-31, 12:33 AM
Bonii isn't a word. You're looking for bonuses. Or, if you like pretending you know Latin grammar, boni. Bonii isn't even close.

It always bugged me why people around here do that. :smallconfused: It reminds me of engrish.

I mean, even the books themselves don't do that:

Multiple enhancement bonuses

KillianHawkeye
2009-05-31, 12:07 PM
It's because of the Internet, or pop culture. Or something.... :smallconfused:

I.E. people think it sounds cool to use bastardized grammar or think that doing so makes them sound clever.