PDA

View Full Version : Not all dragons are smart...

Scorpina
2006-04-25, 12:48 PM
Hunting Drake
Size/Type: Large Dragon
Hit Dice: 3d12+12 (30 hp)
Initiative: +1
Speed: 60 ft. (12 squares) Fly 120 ft. (Average)
Armour Class: 17 (–1 size, +1 Dex, +7 natural), touch 10, flat-footed 16
Base Attack/Grapple: +3/+9
Attack: Claw +11 Melee (1d6+3)
Full Attack: 2 Claws +11 Melee (1d6+5) and Bite +6 Melee (1d8+5)
Space/Reach: 10 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Breath Weapon, Improved Grab
Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft., Fast healing 2, fire immunity, immunity to sleep and paralysis effects, Low-light vision, scent
Saves: Fort +5, Ref +4, Will +2
Abilities: Str 28, Dex 11, Con 19, Int 2, Wis 14, Cha 8
Skills: Listen +8, Spot +8
Feats: Flyby Attack, Wingover
Environment: Temperate plains and Mountains
Organization: Solitary or pair
Challenge Rating: 4
Advancement: —
Level Adjustment: —

The creature that sweeps down out of the sky like a massive bird of prey is covered in deep red scales, with huge batlike wings and savagly sharp teeth and claws. Unmistakably, this is a dragon, and yet the savagery with which it attacks is more akin to that of a predatorial animal than an intellegent monster.

Combat
The Hunting Drake, having only animal intelligence, tends to attack anything that comes to close to it – unless it is massively bigger than the dragon itself, in which case it will take to the skies and attempt to flee. When, the dragon attacks from above – swooping in to strike with its claws, it typically reserves it’s breath weapon for desperate times.

Breath Weapon (Su): The Hunting Drake’s Breath weapon is a 30 ft. cone of fire, usable once per day. It deals 6d8 points of damage, with a reflex save (DC 15) for half-damage.

Improved Grab (Ex): To use this ability, a Hunting Drake must hit a Medium or smaller opponent with a claw attack. It can then attempt to start a grapple as a free action without provoking an attack of opportunity.

Ikkitosen
2006-04-25, 12:55 PM
Looks good :) Is it neutral, like an animal? Or evil like a red dragon?

Edit: And shouldn't it's con modifier give it +4 hp/HD not +2?

Scorpina
2006-04-25, 12:57 PM
It's neutral like an animal. I think all creatures with 2 int or less are neutral, due to not being smart enough to tell good from evil (or law from chaos)

And it should have +4 hp rather than +2, oops.

Xiagu
2006-04-25, 03:42 PM
It's not just that they can't tell the difference, they don't know the difference. They don't even know what good, evil, law or chaos is!

Besides deep-grained social rituals and practices, they have no moral qualms, either.

reorith
2006-04-25, 03:47 PM
wow that would make an excellent encounter.

Malachite
2006-04-26, 10:06 AM
Problem I see is that it'd probably just swoop out of the sky, grab someone and fly away with them. Instant party split, and one on one combat :(

Tryranus_Magus
2006-04-26, 10:40 AM
Problem I see is that it'd probably just swoop out of the sky, grab someone and fly away with them. Instant party split, and one on one combat :(

Doesn't sound like a problem per say, unless your the dude carried away. Do you think the CR doesn't reflect that ability?

I think CR 4 is about right, considering if it attacked like a bear, it would last about 2 rounds with a party of 4 level 4 PC's. However, if it uses the swooping tactic, then it gets interesting. With all of the grapple checks it would have to make, plus AoO from other PC's, if they were within reach, the chances of it carrying a PC off would be proportional to its CR.

After it's airborne, grappling to escape may cause some damage, but if it flies high enough, it could kill a level 4 mage from a drop in the second round of flight. Then again, if it carried off a meat shield for a tasty morsel, it would be in for a heck of fight once it landed.

Anyway, there is a potential it could kill one PC, but those odds are reflected in the CR. Not using the proper tactics, then this thing is easier than its CR. I think it's a solid build. Mix between a young red and a grizzly bear.

Xiagu
2006-04-26, 05:52 PM
Ahh yes, but what if one of the other PCs can fly?

Poses an interesting problem including the terms "fly speed", "manuverability", "dropping", "carrying capacity", "vertical charge", "falling damage" and "splat".

Jestir256
2006-04-26, 06:45 PM
Actually, I tried that against my players once. It didn't work so hot. See, unless the drake entered into a full grapple, it gets -20 the next round to hold onto the player. Even a wizard can wiggle away from that. If it does enter into a grapple, the odds improve, but the creature then loses a lot of options. Besides, all a player has to do is dig out a dagger and start two-handing it. Even with its strength, it would be difficult to damage a 4th level character using only 1d6 per round more than the little bugger could damage back.