PDA

View Full Version : Repo! The Genetic Opera

Vaynor
2009-05-30, 07:46 PM
I just saw the shadow cast of this movie last night (for those that don't know, this is when actors act out the play in front of the movie screen) in LA, and it was absolutely amazing. Anyone else a fan of the movie?

North
2009-05-30, 07:52 PM
It was ok. I think I may have been expecting too much from Giles in it though.

Vaynor
2009-05-30, 07:54 PM
Well I've heard from a lot of people that it's a much more enjoyable experience live. Maybe that's what made it better for me, I don't know.

Vaynor
2009-06-05, 01:12 AM
No one else? Really?

Dragonus45
2009-06-05, 12:40 PM
I just discovered the movie a few weeks ago and i loved it, but most people i know were thrown off by it being an opera. They kept thinking musical when i told them about it. I've never seen it live but i would guess that that makes it much better.

Neko Toast
2009-06-05, 12:45 PM
I watched it, loved it, and showed it to my friends. We all get a kick out of the random Joan Jett cameo.

Jibar
2009-06-05, 01:00 PM
Well. I've seen it a lot on TV Tropes and now that someone has actually said it's good, I'll go get a copy and see if you're being honest.

Totally Guy
2009-06-05, 01:07 PM
I was told it was the funniest movie ever.

But it turns out the jokes were actually gore. But my friends couldn't stop laughing.

If I had been told it was a gory and shocking movie I could have prepared myself for it, but no, I was told it was purely a comedy.

rankrath
2009-06-05, 03:21 PM
Saw it a few months ago, and thought it was pretty good. The ending was a bit stupid, but the soundtrack is phenomenal.

Fan
2009-06-05, 03:23 PM
I just saw the shadow cast of this movie last night (for those that don't know, this is when actors act out the play in front of the movie screen) in LA, and it was absolutely amazing. Anyone else a fan of the movie?

I made a thread for this in July, and changed my screen name to a song in it... I'll give you three guesses.:smalltongue:

Semidi
2009-06-05, 03:30 PM
I and all of my friends of big fans of Repo! There's going to be a shadowcast sometime in the fall in the city I live. I'm totally going to go.

*currently playing the Repo! soundtrack*

Vaynor
2009-06-05, 08:47 PM
I was told it was the funniest movie ever.

But it turns out the jokes were actually gore. But my friends couldn't stop laughing.

If I had been told it was a gory and shocking movie I could have prepared myself for it, but no, I was told it was purely a comedy.

It has its moments, but it is far from the funniest movie ever.

Fri
2009-06-05, 08:51 PM
huh, what? What sick person told that Repo is the funniest movie ever? It's a great opera and I like it, but it's not really a comedy.

Berserk Monk
2009-06-08, 01:54 AM
Yeah, the movie's good.

Jibar
2009-06-08, 06:44 AM
Um...
So, I watched it.
It's both fantastic and disturbing all in one.
I'll be listening to the soundtrack for the next three days.

Dragonus45
2009-06-08, 11:13 AM
Sounds like the general reaction. I have a few friends who refuse to watch it on principal, a Hilton sister in it and all. Which is a shame since this movie actually got me around to respecting her.

Vaynor
2009-06-11, 12:54 AM
Sounds like the general reaction. I have a few friends who refuse to watch it on principal, a Hilton sister in it and all. Which is a shame since this movie actually got me around to respecting her.

It was the perfect role for her, honestly, she plays a stuck up rich kid, slutty and addicted to cosmetic surgery. She played herself (one of the only things she's good at).

Also, I think Alexa Vega's performance made up for it.

Kara Kuro
2009-06-11, 01:28 AM
I love this movie. Campy, dark, macabre and a soundtrack that kicks more the move 'surf' in Blain's Gym.

Prock
2009-06-15, 12:54 PM
I saw the movie Saturday, and I'm listening to the soundtrack now (Skipping over Shiloh's songs, don't like her voice, I can stand her in a duet but not just her).

I really like the concept, the way it was filmed, the acting, the visual style of the movie, the songs (most of them anyway).
I have no complains with this movie, even Shiloh, who I don't like her voice is perfectly cast to present a inmature young teenager.

RabbitHoleLost
2009-07-14, 01:15 PM
So, I finally saw this movie, and I was totally excited about it, because all of you had praised it so highly, and the last time I had watched something you all raved about, Dr. Horrible, I was very, very pleased.

I have to say, Giant, I payed thirteen dollars for this movie, and I was disappointed.
It seemed very poorly stuck together to me, and the music was awful, especially the lyrics. Many of the characters hardly contributed to anything, and I felt let down by Anthony Head and Sarah Brightman.

That said, I fell in love with the Graverobber.
>>

Vaynor
2009-07-14, 07:50 PM
So, I finally saw this movie, and I was totally excited about it, because all of you had praised it so highly, and the last time I had watched something you all raved about, Dr. Horrible, I was very, very pleased.

I have to say, Giant, I payed thirteen dollars for this movie, and I was disappointed.
It seemed very poorly stuck together to me, and the music was awful, especially the lyrics. Many of the characters hardly contributed to anything, and I felt let down by Anthony Head and Sarah Brightman.

>>

I agree, the movie could be quite terrible if you don't enjoy the music. The music is something like 5/6 of the movie. I think most people that like it liked the music (I know I did, I still listen to the soundtrack). It's a very love-it-or-hate-it movie.

RabbitHoleLost
2009-07-15, 08:54 PM
I take it back.
I watched it again, and while it isn't fantastic, its a pretty decent movie.

oryx
2009-07-15, 11:11 PM
I <3 this movie.

Dragonus45
2009-07-16, 11:07 AM

>>

The thing about the music is that its an opera, not a musical. the differences are subtle but they both have a different feel to them.

RabbitHoleLost
2009-07-16, 11:30 AM
The thing about the music is that its an opera, not a musical. the differences are subtle but they both have a different feel to them.

The thing is, I go to actual operas.
Like, you know, old school, Italian operas. And even rock operas.

And the music is hardly the same between Repo and those.

The music-genre does not change whether or not the lyrics were awful and poorly thought out.

oryx
2009-07-17, 12:30 AM
Err...where does it says it's an opera? i thought the "genetic opera" was a reference to the opera that's performed in the musical, rather than what the movie itself was.