PDA

View Full Version : The Prophecy...from a different angle

Fayd
2009-05-30, 07:49 PM
Well, having joined this community roughly a minute ago (I've read for longer), I don't truly know if this is a truly different angle, but it is something I was half wondering about...

The Oracle's prophecy has been discussed to death, with regards to :vaarsuvius:, (and :belkar:, I hear).

But what about :durkon:? His prophecy said that he would return to dwarven lands "Posthumously." Pretty cut and dry, no? Except for the fact that the Oracle DOESN'T LIKE HIM. Just like he DOESN'T LIKE :roy:. He would return while dead. No promises were made on the condition he would be in when he got there. I could see Durkon returning to dwarven lands undead.

Anyway, I felt like saying something, so take this as my "Hi!" to the community! :smallbiggrin:

EmperorSarda
2009-05-30, 07:51 PM
I actually believe I have heard that theory before a few times. Thanks for your insight though.

The Rose Dragon
2009-05-30, 07:51 PM
That was discussed.

Another theory was that he would die and get resurrected, technically making it a posthumous return.

theinsulabot
2009-05-30, 07:53 PM
between his current prophecy and an earlier one from origin of the stick, which says durkon's arrival back home will herald destruction for the dwarven lands, its a pretty commanly believed theory around here that durkon will die in the battle for girard's gate, probably heroically sacrificing himself to either destroy or save the gate from xykon, xykon will raise durkon as part of his army, with which he will head through the northern lands toward the final gate, incidentally razing it to the ground as he goes. thus fulfilling both prophecies.

Fayd
2009-05-30, 08:03 PM
Ah. I really need to get those extra books at some point in the not too distant future. Might provide the missing pieces of my OotS puzzle.

Should have trusted my gut...I had a feeling that this would have been discussed...sad I couldn't come up with anything original, but what can you do? For a strip as big as this, it's hard to dig up new stuff (especially when I'm missing the aforementioned puzzle pieces!

theinsulabot
2009-05-30, 08:09 PM
Ah. I really need to get those extra books at some point in the not too distant future. Might provide the missing pieces of my OotS puzzle.

Should have trusted my gut...I had a feeling that this would have been discussed...sad I couldn't come up with anything original, but what can you do? For a strip as big as this, it's hard to dig up new stuff (especially when I'm missing the aforementioned puzzle pieces!

hey, your first post was a reasonable guess based on a sensible logic chain. grats. hell, its WAY above most people, who inevitably join to argue about V's gender or to ask about the MitD. hell my first posts were an an argument thread in which i got a little personal and earned a red card i still have on my record, so you got me beat eh?

Fayd
2009-05-30, 08:21 PM
Thanks theinsulabot. I like to think and speculate about stories, and OotS is a gold mine of fun for that. Which is why after a paycheck or two I'll end up spending a fair bit of cash on books.

Though I do wonder about MitD...but I don't have enough D&D experience to guess...though if I had to come up with something on the spot, I'd say a young Elder God/Eldritch Horror type creature.

And I wonder about V, simply because I like to be able to use the right pronoun...and not get speculated at if I use he or she. And it has never made me think of a sentient creature. :smallbiggrin:

roy_greenhilt
2009-05-30, 08:31 PM
I'm thinking that Durkon will be killed, and the order will find some way to raise him. That way, he'll return alive, and technically, posthumously.

Wreckingrocc
2009-05-30, 09:12 PM
When I was reading OOTS for the first time, it was perhaps one and a half to two years ago; I thought MitD would be revealed at strip ~120. I was really expecting him to be a goblin, though he's definitely proven otherwise when accidentally smearing Miko during "Hit the other the lightest".

Dark Faun
2009-05-31, 10:07 AM
This thread made me realize something. Durkon was happy he would return to his homeland at all, wasn't he? Problem is... the Oracle never specified his body would stay there. And as you said, he doesn't even like Durkon, so I wouldn't put it past him to dangle a false hope in front of him (that's basically his job anyway). Maybe Durkon will never be buried with his family.

NerfTW
2009-05-31, 01:31 PM
This thread made me realize something. Durkon was happy he would return to his homeland at all, wasn't he? Problem is... the Oracle never specified his body would stay there. And as you said, he doesn't even like Durkon, so I wouldn't put it past him to dangle a false hope in front of him (that's basically his job anyway). Maybe Durkon will never be buried with his family.

That would be pushing it in terms of story. We'd have to see Durkon die, be returned home, then leave, then die again. That would go so far past the end of the story as to render it meaningless.

Once the destruction prophecy is fulfilled, there's either no more homeland, or they let him back in again. Having the oracle's prophecy extend past the end of the strip would make it pointless.