PDA

View Full Version : Diviner pains

Thespianus
2009-05-31, 01:28 AM
So, I'm playing a Rogue-type of character, who decided to get into the Arcane casting business, eventually heading for Unseen Seer.

However, for some reason that I can't really fathom today, I picked a Focused Diviner, instead of something more useful, because I figured I could get plenty of use for Divination as a Rogue/Skill monkey.

( Also, I am not the primary caster in the group, just for the record. )

Anyhoo. I'm soon about to get my first second level spells, and.. well, let's just say that I am underwhelmed by the spell selection at level two for a diviner. (I really didn't think all this through before going the Diviner route)

Basically, I have 1 general spell at my disposal. I was thinking of Glitterdust, but our Sorcerer already have that one covered. And, then I need one Divination spell that's worth preparing thrice in a day. Please help.

The spells I've found so far is:

Master's Touch (PHB2-version) that gives +4 insight bonus to any skill check.

Sure Strike (+1 attack bonus/3 CL). Seems kind of useless, but that's divination for you. Also, I'm sneak attacking a bit, so I can use the to-hit boost ;)

Detect Thoughts - Might be situationally useful, but I really don't see how I can spend three of those in a day.

Chain of Eyes seems ok, but, again.. 3 times per day?

See Invisibility is good, but.. well, Glitterdust seems so much more competent at this.

So, please. Anyone who've got a good 2nd level divination spell to recommend? Speak up, please! :)

Kosjsjach
2009-05-31, 02:01 AM
I like love the flavor of the Unseen Seer PrC, but you do have quite a problem on your hands. Though if you're doing the Sneak Attack thing, check out Critical Strike in Complete Adventurer. Basically a +1d6 to your sneak attack. Three times a day, heck, why not.

edit: Of course, there's always True Strike. You might also consider Sniper's Shot (also in Complete Adventurer), which ignores the 30-foot range restriction on long-range sneak attacks (think sniping).

:smallbiggrin: I know you're not going to use it, but I just want to throw out Scholar's Touch as a possibility. You could make it part of your character to read three books a day in 18 seconds, just because (or if you quickly need to learn something, a la Matrix scene.)

Neo: Can you fly that thing?
Trinity: Not yet.

edit again: Aha, there's also Insightful Feint (+10 Bluff to feint), Instant Search... y'know, maybe you should just give Complete Adventurer another once-over. :smalltongue:

Thespianus
2009-05-31, 02:09 AM
I like love the flavor of the Unseen Seer PrC, but you do have quite a problem on your hands. Though if you're doing the Sneak Attack thing, check out Critical Strike in Complete Adventurer. Basically a +1d6 to your sneak attack. Three times a day, heck, why not.
Yeah, I've already got Critical Strike, it's a first level spell. It's yummy good, though, if not for actual damage output, so for the yelling "Critical Strike" in a silly voice. :)

EDIT: you're giving me a lot of good suggestions on 1st level spells. But I need 2nd level spells. ;) Or, well, heck, I might as well stick 1st level spells in my 2nd level spell slots. It's not like 2nd level divination spells will win the day ever. ;)

There are plenty of decent swift 1st level spells on the Divination lists, Critical Strike, Sniper's Shot, etc. But at level 2... Well, they kind of sucks.

Sure Strike would have been perfect for me if it had allowed the bonus for a full round attack, but since it's only for one single attack, it has become a swift but sucky version of True Strike.

Granted, Sure Strike is uncapped, so reaching a caster level of 21 will eventually give me a +7 insight bonus to attack, but.. well.. it's not exactly the +20 of True Strike. ;)

Kosjsjach
2009-05-31, 02:17 AM
*headdesk* Man, I feel silly now. Sorry.

You're right, 2nd-level Divination spells are pretty underwhelming. Though Insidious Insight (Races of Eberron) might be decent...
...can you tell I'm just skimming the Crystal Keep database? :smallredface:

Thespianus
2009-05-31, 02:26 AM
*headdesk* Man, I feel silly now. Sorry.
No worries. ;)

...can you tell I'm just skimming the Crystal Keep database? :smallredface:

Been there, done that, bro' ;) I appreciate your skimming. :)

Insidious Insight is not all bad, it's just very hard to apply in our current campaign: We're invading a huge tower and slaying our way through it all to the top. :)

Compare this to the 2nd level spell the Clerics get, which gives them 5 + CL bonus on any one skill check, up to +15, and the spell lasts 1hr/CL. I'd buy that for a dollar. :)

Arcane Diviners are teh sc3w3D.

sonofzeal
2009-05-31, 02:31 AM
Have you checked out TSUYOSHI'S GUIDE TO DIVINATION SPELLS: G-D'S EYES (http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=969772)?

Thespianus
2009-05-31, 02:35 AM
Have you checked out TSUYOSHI'S GUIDE TO DIVINATION SPELLS: G-D'S EYES (http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=969772)?

Yeah. It's an awesome guide, but none of the 2nd level spells there really talk to me, and he doesn't list them all. I should probably contribute to the thread, but it seemed pretty dead. Anyway, I'm guessing I'm just screwed until I get the Advanced Learning from Unseen Seer and can start cherry-picking the goodies from the Cleric's and the Ranger's lists.

EDIT: I will contribute to the thread later on, I'm just not sure how to rank the spells, since they're all kind of sad compared to the Batman spells of the other schools.

Tsotha-lanti
2009-05-31, 03:02 AM
Forget about 2nd-level spells and just use the slots for Silent or Still versions of your 1st-level spells?

Thespianus
2009-05-31, 03:53 AM
Forget about 2nd-level spells and just use the slots for Silent or Still versions of your 1st-level spells?

Damn I forgot about that (maybe because I don't have any meta magic feats yet).

It's a great idea, but maybe with Extend Spell rather than Silent or Still versions: Extended Critical Strike, for example would be ok, Extended Golem Strike and Extended Sniper's Shot all work nicely in that way. Now, all I need is Extend Spell. :)

I might go that route and pick Master's Touch (the +4-to-skill check version) for my 2nd level divination spell, just to be able to become a better skill monkey. :)