PDA

View Full Version : Protection from Evil

BenTheJester
2009-05-31, 01:29 AM
I will be playing a fiend of possession soon enough and this spell is causing me a headache, the mere fact that a level 1 spell prevents me from possessing someone, no save, no SR, no questions asked bugs me.

But I have to live with it. At least to some level. I'm looking for ways to counter it(as well as its Magic Circle version, and anything else that could prevent me from possessing someone).

I have been told I should make a custom item, but I have no idea where to start.
I guess I could make a ring/amulet that prevents the wearer from being affected from these spells, being a succubus(thus allowing me to teleport amongst the enemies, disguised as the enemy, and bluff my way into making some powerful being wear the item) this could be a viable(and entertaining!) option. However I have no idea how to make this item, nor how it would cost.

Another option would be to make an item that can be used by me that would suppress those spells(and not just dispel, as I don't want the control to go away from me once I get "inside" someone). Then again, no idea how to do it.

Could anyone help me on those items?

Alternatively, are there any other way to bypass those protections?

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2009-05-31, 01:41 AM
The caster has to check for SR or you get to bypass Protection from Evil and Magic Circle spells. The spell Spell Immunity gives you unbeateable SR against a chosen spell, which would allow you to ignore those. The cost of a continuous item of a spell is spell level x caster level x 2000 gp, plus x1.5 for a spell with a duration of 10 minutes/level. A custom magic item of Spell Immunity: Magic Circle against Evil would be 84,000 gp.

I've found that one of the best tactics for a Fiend of Possession character is to always be possessing someone or something. For example, take Leadership and get a powerful warrior cohort, such as a Warblade or Crusader. Always be possessing him, give him a +4 Profane bonus to all his ability scores, and give his weapon an extra +6 worth of special abilities and enhancement bonus. Your character can be a cult leader and he could be your chosen prophet. You would basically be playing the cohort, but if he were to die you could just recruit a new one to replace him. You could also take levels in Warlock or Psion prior to gaining Fiend of Possession, and use personal-range buffs on whoever you're possessing. You could even use psionic powers or invocations while possessing someone, in addition to whatever actions they take, as long as they stay free-willed. Your character would be invulnerable to all damage and all but a few specific spells. You could also possess and animate a statue, or a rug, or even a puddle of water or a pile of sand or a pool of lava. Possessing your opponents is probably the weakest tactic, you want to possess anything on hand and use that form to pummel your foes while staying invulnerable to their attacks. Once they destroy whatever you're possessing you go ethereal and can go possess something else to continue fighting.

Gralamin
2009-05-31, 01:42 AM
I will be playing a fiend of possession soon enough and this spell is causing me a headache, the mere fact that a level 1 spell prevents me from possessing someone, no save, no SR, no questions asked bugs me.

But I have to live with it. At least to some level. I'm looking for ways to counter it(as well as its Magic Circle version, and anything else that could prevent me from possessing someone).

I have been told I should make a custom item, but I have no idea where to start.
I guess I could make a ring/amulet that prevents the wearer from being affected from these spells, being a succubus(thus allowing me to teleport amongst the enemies, disguised as the enemy, and bluff my way into making some powerful being wear the item) this could be a viable(and entertaining!) option. However I have no idea how to make this item, nor how it would cost.

Another option would be to make an item that can be used by me that would suppress those spells(and not just dispel, as I don't want the control to go away from me once I get "inside" someone). Then again, no idea how to do it.

Could anyone help me on those items?

Alternatively, are there any other way to bypass those protections?

Dispel will beat it if its not from an Item, Dispel ends the spell unless its an item.

If you need an item to beat it, I'd make a custom one based on the Ring Of Counterspells. Something like this... (Note: A lot of the costs below are adjusted based on what seems right, not on any formula)

Ring of Counterspells costs 4000 gp and is based on imbue with spell ability At CL 11.

For a Ring that can - once - counter Protection from Evil on its wearer for each time The spell is imbued in the ring, it Should be around 500 gp (Level 1 Spell, Specific Spell, and effects personal buff all should reduce the cost).

For a Ring that can - once - do the same to Magic Circle vs Evil, it should cost around 750 gp.

For a ring that can do both I'd put it at 1500 gp

For a Ring that makes it impossible to come under the effect of a Protection from Evil (Negates and always does so), I'd put it at 2000 gp.

For a Ring that does the same for Magic Circle vs Evil, I'd put it at 3000 gp.

For a ring that can do both, I put it at 4000 gp.

These costs seem about right to me. They are not based off math from Ring of counterspells except to say that they probably shouldn't cost as much.

tiercel
2009-05-31, 07:35 AM
Putting mechanics aside for a second, probably the best way to avoid this spell is to not advertise your presence. Sure, protection from evil (and magic circle) is a pretty decent spell but people aren't going to just walk around with it on all the time, even in combat, unless they think it's a priority. If your DM has are your foes under this effect all the time, it means either you're giving yourself away way too much or the DM is cheesing you.

On the flipside, you should expect well-informed and/or paranoid Big Boss type opponents to probably have it just because it is .. .well.. less than dramatic to have a major encounter fizzle due to a blown possession save in round 1. Sure, fine, do as Biffoniacus suggests, just possess everything around your enemy and wear him down.

only1doug
2009-05-31, 09:59 AM
Now for the truly bad news...

The mind blank element of the protection spells isn't governed by the alignment.

Protection from good works just as well as protection from evil for preventing or removing possesion.

so 4 different level 1 spells can ruin your day.

Olo Demonsbane
2009-05-31, 01:36 PM
To add on to what BF said, I reccomend becoming a thrall herd. You get a replaceable cohort that is 1 level lower than you, and you can still manifest while possessing him.

Roderick_BR
2009-05-31, 07:24 PM
As was suggested, don't let people know that you are around all the time, nor that you have a powerful ability blockable by 1st level spells. People doesn't walk around with protection from evil 24/7 (except for the most paranoic types), since the part of the effect they usually want (AC and Save bonuses) are "too low", and most doesn't even remember about possessing, and will concentrate on others spells. Yes, powergaming from them will actually give you better changes.
If someone is protected, tough, choose the next target. If the wizard and cleric happens to be protected, you may want to possess the fighter or barbarian, or even the rogue, that's less likely for them to suspect. Or just possess some random NPC. Use it to weaken the party, threat them, make them paranoic.
Dispell magic is great to deal with these things too.