PDA

View Full Version : Need an art program.

Zeful
2009-05-31, 02:04 AM
I'm doing some work on a campaign setting, and need some help getting an art program so I can alter my map without creating white lines where I erase stuff.

More specifically I need a program where I can add/subtract/merge layers freely as well as having them transparent and toggled between visible and invisible. I tried Gimp, but I can't "unveiw" a layer without deleting it. I also can't save the file without auto-merging all the layers together, which I don't want to do.

Thank you in advance for any help rendered.

Dumbledore lives
2009-05-31, 02:10 AM
Pretty much any model of Photoshop will work, and you can download a free trial from Adobe's website.

Ichneumon
2009-05-31, 02:19 AM
Maybe Illustrator is more something you need, although it is mainly using vector graphics. Depends on the kind of maps you are trying to make...

Haruki-kun
2009-05-31, 02:20 AM
Pretty much anyone you ask in A&C will tell you to get inkscape. Just remember it's a Vector Graphics editor, very different from Paint.

Ashen Lilies
2009-05-31, 02:50 AM
Perhaps try Paint.NET (http://www.getpaint.net/)? It's as simple to use as the program it stole its name from, while still having most of the more complicated features you'll need. Plus, it's open source, so anything it doesn't have in the original program that you might want probably already exists in the form of a plugin. Also, it can do everything with layers you outlined in the first post, which is a good thing. Plus, it won't crash in the middle of your session, which is an auto plus. :smalltongue:

Bonecrusher Doc
2009-05-31, 05:07 AM
I know nothing about this sort of thing, but I know that in Powerpoint you can bring layers to the front and back.

Fale
2009-05-31, 05:34 AM
To save a file in GIMP and preserve the image layers, save in XCF (GIMP's native) format. In order to do this, instead of saving to "image.png" or "image.jpg", type in "image.xcf" instead.

If by "unveiw", you mean unhide a layer. Bring up the layer window (Ctrl+L), and click on the eye on the right-hand side of the layer which will toggle the layer from visible to invisible. I believe this is the same sort of thing you would do in Photoshop.

Groundhog
2009-05-31, 08:27 AM
I'd recommend Photoshop. Although your choice may have to depend on what type of file your map is saved in already.

Recaiden
2009-05-31, 09:09 AM
Pretty much anyone you ask in A&C will tell you to get inkscape. Just remember it's a Vector Graphics editor, very different from Paint.

Yes we will. You can add, subtract, lock, make visible or invisible your layers. No erasure is needed, nor indeed possible. It is a vector art thing, so you'll need to export as a .png once you're done. It's not too hard to use, just takes a little bit of getting used to.

Mando Knight
2009-05-31, 11:12 AM
To save a file in GIMP and preserve the image layers, save in XCF (GIMP's native) format. In order to do this, instead of saving to "image.png" or "image.jpg", type in "image.xcf" instead.

If by "unveiw", you mean unhide a layer. Bring up the layer window (Ctrl+L), and click on the eye on the right-hand side of the layer which will toggle the layer from visible to invisible. I believe this is the same sort of thing you would do in Photoshop.

This. Here's a handy picture. (Using a map from a PbP as an example. Layers are useful for character sprites on a map, because you can just move the layer around to move the sprite.)
http://i440.photobucket.com/albums/qq128/Mando_Knight/LayerToggle.png

MethosH
2009-05-31, 12:27 PM
I'm doing some work on a campaign setting, and need some help getting an art program so I can alter my map without creating white lines where I erase stuff.

More specifically I need a program where I can add/subtract/merge layers freely as well as having them transparent and toggled between visible and invisible. I tried Gimp, but I can't "unveiw" a layer without deleting it. I also can't save the file without auto-merging all the layers together, which I don't want to do.

Thank you in advance for any help rendered.

You actually can do all that with GIMP, you just don't know how :smallbiggrin:
You should try ask this question on the Art & Craft section...

I think you can try Photoshop... GIMP (L0L)... InkScape... And many many others... It's kind of hard suggesting an specific program without really know what you need.