PDA

View Full Version : Mounted ToB?

shadow_archmagi
2009-05-31, 08:56 AM
Are there any Tome of Battle disciplines (or whatever the styles are called) that work well while riding a horse? What about for combat in the skies?

Learnedguy
2009-05-31, 08:57 AM
Well, Mountain Dragon would work pretty horribly I suppose, but as long as you stick to simple strike-maneuvers I suppose you'd be fine.

Goatman_Ted
2009-05-31, 09:28 AM
Devoted Spirit is the tops, especially considering how easy mounts usually are to kill.

Most Disciplines work, really. Except Stone Dragon, which just flat-out doesn't.

Shadow Hand can have some issues because many of its selling points are based on your individual mobility.

One option I've had good luck with is giving my mount Crusader levels. A Hippogriff spewing damage and HP could never hurt.

RTGoodman
2009-05-31, 12:36 PM
Courtesy of our very own Demented One, the Twin Spirit (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40991) discipline. It's basically what you're looking for, assuming homebrew's okay.

Dhavaer
2009-05-31, 03:36 PM
White Raven has a few charge related maneuvers that could be useful for a lancer.

ErrantX
2009-05-31, 03:56 PM
Really, outside of the Demented One's most excellent Twin Spirit discipline (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40991), Crusaders and Warblades are your mounted warriors, Crusaders being able to heal themselves and their mount with their maneuvers from Devoted Spirit (and bring some serious hurt in close range as well) and really using charges effectively on their mount with things like Radiant Charge from DS or like, anything from White Raven.

Warblades are going to use the heck out of White Raven in this situation, while using Diamond Mind or Iron Heart to pick up the slack where they don't have Devoted Spirit for close range without charges. Stone Dragon is useless on a horse for both (I still think haters of Stone Dragon are wrong, but that's me) due to "both feet being firmly on the ground" as a requirement, and Tiger Claw is all about jumping around and such, not a horse friendly Discipline.

2 cents deposited,
-X

Dacia Brabant
2009-05-31, 07:55 PM
Devoted Spirit (charge attacks, healing+defense) and White Raven (charge attacks and bonuses on charges) definitely are the best, but one thing not to be overlooked is Dancing Blade Form, a level 5 Iron Heart stance that'll give you +5' reach on your turn. Take that, a lance, Enlarge Person and a Huge mount and you've got a 20' reach occupying a 15'x15' square. Not too shabby. Also, Scything Blade, a level 7 Iron Heart boost, will let you deal two charge attacks in one turn as long as it's against two opponents (and the first attack has to hit).

There's also the Crinti Shadow Marauder who gets to make Shadow Pounce attacks while mounted, which combined with Shadow Hand teleports can get really silly.

Speaking of silly, I want to make a Warblade who uses Tiger Claw to jump off his mount to make leap attacks--and then jump right back on to do it again.

Faleldir
2009-05-31, 08:10 PM
Island Of Blades. If you are mounted, you are always flanking.